• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 HD Remaster (Official Topic)

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Here we go again with the alternate universes theory. I guess both of Revelations 2's endings are alternate universes as well, even though official sources specifically say only the good ending is canon, likewise with Leon and Claire's campaigns in the original RE2 (only Claire A/Leon B is canon).

Or what about this?:

Alternate universe? Enlighten us!

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Here we go again with the alternate universes theory. I guess both of Revelations 2's endings are alternate universes as well, even though official sources specifically say only the good ending is canon, likewise with Leon and Claire's campaigns in the original RE2 (only Claire A/Leon B is canon).

Or what about this?:

Alternate universe? Enlighten us!

Don't even entertain him anymore. He's just gonna write a wall of text about bull**** and ignore whatever points are made because he's basing his reasoning on his own flawed logic that he refuses to correct. Guy also seems suspiciously obsessed with this thread.

Mjolnir Mark IV

Here we go again with the alternate universes theory.
I'm not theorizing anything. These aren't new concepts I'm proposing. Continuity is ancient history (figuratively speaking). I'm simply being pragmatic about the facts (the facts being the variations that exist in the games).

I guess both of Revelations 2's endings are alternate universes as well, even though official sources specifically say only the good ending is canon, likewise with Leon and Claire's campaigns in the original RE2 (only Claire A/Leon B is canon).
Being canon is not a requirement for a timeline to be called a timeline. If Claire A/Leon B is acknowledged as canon, then Leon A/Claire B is simply a timeline that is not acknowledged as canon. But that doesn't mean it's not a timeline. It just means it's a timeline that isn't canon.

I can't comment on the other games you mentioned because they are games I intend to play but haven't yet due to my backlog. But the principal is universal unless the narrative outlines specific rules: more than one version of the same event cannot take place at the same time in the same place. In other words, the two versions of the same event take place in two different timelines.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Don't even entertain him anymore. He's just gonna write a wall of text about bull**** and ignore whatever points are made because he's basing his reasoning on his own flawed logic that he refuses to correct. Guy also seems suspiciously obsessed with this thread.

LOL, true.

But the short answer, based in logic to this question is: it's the equivalent of movie alternate endings. It's, as its name implies, just extra (perhaps cut) content providing a "what if?" scenario and isn't canon, meaning (try to follow the logic with me) it never actually happened.

And a retcon isn't an alternate universe, look up what a retcon is before spouting such nonsense.

Last edited:

Mjolnir Mark IV

But the short answer, based in logic to this question is: it's the equivalent of movie alternate endings.
If an ending is alternate, then it doesn't exist in the same timeline, does it? Alternate timeline.

It's, as its name implies, just extra (perhaps cut) content providing a "what if?" scenario
"What if" scenarios don't take place in the same timeline either. Alternate timeline.

and isn't canon, meaning (try to follow the logic with me) it never actually happened.
No problem following you there. If a timeline isn't canon, then it's a timeline that never actually happened. But it still exists as a non-canonical alternate timeline.

And a retcon isn't an alternate universe, look up what a retcon is before spouting such nonsense.
I'm not sure who you're talking to. Nobody here said a retcon is an alternate universe.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'd say Claire's apparent death at the hands of Birkin in the first scene, and then the second scene showing her and Sherry emerge from the sewers unscathed, is solid proof that there are at least two timelines going on within the same game: One universe where Schrödinger's Claire is alive, another where she isn't. (And I hope there is yet a third where Sherry doesn't have a face that only a mutated father could love.)

Turo602

The King of Kings
Some snippets of Claire dialogue.

Not really a fan of Claire's new voice actress. She sounds too young and kinda rings in your ear. Though, the emotion is at least better here than in the Birkin fight. One thing I really did like about this leaked dialogue though, is how background details come up in in-game conversation. I would love to see more of that in this series as it adds depth and humanizes the characters when they talk about their personal life.

However, I am a little worried about the game's difficulty. While I think Birkin looked cool and the gameplay still looks great, I can't help but feel like the player was playing horribly on purpose to make the game look more tense than it really is. I know when I play, my shots will be more calculated and that when I see a massive exposed eye, that I'm gonna shoot it. Not just shoot sporadically all over the body to make the enemy look tougher. The lack of music was also really offputting.

Mr.R

I think the difficulty in the video is kinda subjective. Yeah, the person was playing badly, but it's always hard to judge how difficult a boss fight will be in reality. The original RE2 doesn't set great standards either. In the first fight with Birkin, the one from the video, in the original game you can just stand still blasting him with the Grenade Launcher until he falls. Same thing with Leon. Anything better than that is a plus. At least you need to move this time.

Zacmac90

You know how whenever a zombie bites Leon it leaves a bitemark? (which ive been hoping for since it's a nice touch of realism) So if Claire goes up against Mr.X and gets punched, is she gonna have a bruise on her face or if gets attacked by Birkin gonna have cuts on her body? Is sherry gonna still have her little bit of gameplay?

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
as much as I love a touch of realism I don't think you'll get detail like bruising and such. maybe in cutscenes if it's a scripted punch etc but not in game. a good idea though and I'd love to see it. I just think it'd be too much

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Wow, Ada in this thumbnail looks like she has $hit under her nose.

Anyway, I'm pleased with everything I'm seeing and hearing in this trailer except Ada's voice. It's too... normal, for lack of a better word, not deep and silky like the original. It has already been confirmed that some minor characters like Branagh and Irons are going to get bigger roles this time, and it's nice to actually see a bit of that (like Sherry apparently being threatened by Irons and Claire threatening him in turn, using a very nice old-fashioned phone). I also like Annette's look, and although it took some doing, I'm slowly getting used to Claire's as well. She does actually resemble the original in a few shots.

windleopard

Wow, Ada in this thumbnail looks like she has $hit under her nose.

Anyway, I'm pleased with everything I'm seeing and hearing in this trailer except Ada's voice. It's too... normal, for lack of a better word, not deep and silky like the original. It has already been confirmed that some minor characters like Branagh and Irons are going to get bigger roles this time, and it's nice to actually see a bit of that (like Sherry apparently being threatened by Irons and Claire threatening him in turn, using a very nice old-fashioned phone). I also like Annette's look, and although it took some doing, I'm slowly getting used to Claire's as well. She does actually resemble the original in a few shots.

I think Ada's voice makes sense here when you consider that this was before she and Leon's relationship developed and she was a lot colder to him back then.

Ark2000

Interesting trailer, not exactly something which gets one's heart pumping or anything, but this and new gameplay footage does makes me look forward even more to the game. Specially after seeing some of those new versions of locations from original game like sewers.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Definitely liking what I see, but to reiterate what people have said above, Ada acts far too obviously spy-like to me and I do miss her in her signature red. Still, can't wait for release and it's gonna be fun to play a Resident Evil game that might actually appeal to me, after the disappointments of some of the more recent releases. :smile:

Top Bottom