• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Redfield in REVII?

Chris Redfield?

• Real Chris Redfield

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Fake Chris Redfield

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

RedPanda

4x the awesome
So... What did we learn? Stop changing character models all the time for no good reason and people might just address the topics you want them to discuss rather than the other huge elephant in the room.

Also, why is the introduction argument weak? If looks can't be trusted anymore, then what else do we have left besides a character's behaviour? We have someone who only shows up for the last two minutes of the game, does nothing to write home about and also looks nothing like the guy he's introducing himself as, so yeah, those few words he says are pretty much the only in-game information that carries any weight right now.

As for the video, it's kind of hard to listen to that guy with his monotone voice all the time, but I forced myself through it anyway, and now I'm trying to remember what he said. That not everyone is happy with the way RE7 turned out, and that even Capcom no longer have any idea what to do with this series? Great, what else is new? I also find it weird that he says Zoe's character is underdeveloped. Her story might be underdeveloped (and yes, the moral choice is kind of pointless), but she as a character is still a lot more interesting than all those other bland bores in this game, so while I agree that RE7 deserves to be criticised, maybe don't start with its only somewhat decent character.
Yeah idk why realism felt justifiable enough to completely change the look of one of the, if not the, most iconic characters in the series, but they make a lot of weird decisions. It's not his behavior, though. It's a perfectly natural way to introduce yourself to someone, and someone's willingness to conform to social conduct isn't a tell. Maybe he's never introduced himself as Redfield before, but it's not been a trademark of his character to introduce himself in a certain way. If that's all the info we have, then that just tells us we don't know much.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
While it all may be true that this is the new look they want for Chris, I still have some doubts. The "Not a Hero" title is really throwing it off as Chris is a f*cking hero to the series. It is absurd to say that Chris was working with the bad guys all along and it's also absurd to think that he is doing undercover work (for reasons I stated before). No poorly executed sequel/reboot is going to change who Chris is or what he's done for the series.

It's a shame... just when you think they may be on to something good for the series (ahem Revelations 2), they screw it up big time. I have to admit that there were definitely some things that I liked about RE7 but they really dropped the ball by not properly tying RE7 in with the rest of the series.

Also, I call bull**** to those who want to sit there and argue that they "knew it was Chris all along". At that rate, the guy could have said he was Jerry Seinfeld and you'd take it for face value. For f*ck sake Capcom could have at least used Roger Craig Smith as Chris' voice and then maybe I could understand why some people "had no reason to doubt it was him". Nothing about him screams Chris other than him walking up and saying he's "Redfield".... THEN IT MUST BE TRUEZ.

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
If that's all the info we have, then that just tells us we don't know much.

... which is precisely why that little bit of information we do have should be considered. You say it's not a trademark of his character to prefer "Chris" over "Redfield", I say it is, and changing that could hint at some unseen character development between RE6 and 7 (which obviously happened in one way or another, what with him being called "not a hero" and working for an organisation calling itself Umbrella), or it could just be sloppy writing.

Anyway, before anyone gets the wrong idea - I couldn't care less at this point where they're going with RE7, so I'm not going to argue about it. This is not RE for me, so it doesn't have to be my Chris either. I'm just saying that small details can matter too, or at least they would if this story had been written by competent writers like those from Naughty Dog or Konami. If Mr Monotone Voice is indeed the insider he claims to be, we at least know that there was a lot of internal disagreement that could explain some of the questionable decisions made for the game.

Also, I call bull**** to those who want to sit there and argue that they "knew it was Chris all along". At that rate, the guy could have said he was Jerry Seinfeld and you'd take it for face value. For f*ck sake Capcom could have at least used Roger Craig Smith as Chris' voice and then maybe I could understand why some people "had no reason to doubt it was him". Nothing about him screams Chris other than him walking up and saying he's "Redfield".... THEN IT MUST BE TRUEZ.

Yeah, especially since no one had any trouble with the idea that there were two Adas in RE6, even though the clone did look and sound like the original, unlike "Redfield" in RE7, and by now Capcom's story writers are known to recycle their old ideas. It was fake Ada's unusual behaviour and her blue dress in place of a red one that made fans question her identity, yet for some reason that argument is considered weak nowadays.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
There's always the possibility that this guy is a direct visual clone of Chris a la Carla Radames and Capcom are serious about the changes to his look but that this guy isn't him, he just looks exactly like the new Chris who we haven't seen, but that'd be confusing as heck.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I find it ridiculous as f*ck that they changed Chris' appearance because he didn't look realistic in RE6... He certainly doesn't f*ckin resemble a stylized cartoon character. Just Capcom yet again, finding excuses for their laziness and incompetence. I guess none of the characters are going to look like themselves now because it's so much easier to get random people from off the street and call them Leon, Jill, and Claire. Oh, my bad, "Kennedy," "Valentine," and "Redfield." Just reboot the goddamn thing already. This series is such a horrible mess.

black 93

I find it ridiculous as f*ck that they changed Chris' appearance because he didn't look realistic in RE6... He certainly doesn't f*ckin resemble a stylized cartoon character. Just Capcom yet again, finding excuses for their laziness and incompetence. I guess none of the characters are going to look like themselves now because it's so much easier to get random people from off the street and call them Leon, Jill, and Claire. Oh, my bad, "Kennedy," "Valentine," and "Redfield." Just reboot the goddamn thing already. This series is such a horrible mess.
Never thought id be in favour of a reboot but tbh, it's starting to look like a good option. In terms of story i have zero idea where the franchise goes from here. Revelations 2's story showed ton's of promise, then RE7 came out of nowhere. Never mind feeling like a different game, RE7 feel's like a different universe altogether.

Last edited:

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
I've heard the news... Man, that's just pathetic how could they?

And their excuse... Boy, very lame. I've heard better ones:razz:

How can they say RE5&6 Chris is not realisitic? He clearly uses a face model (who's unknown)! Or is it because of his build? There are guys who are ridiculously buff and fit. I don't ever recall Bioware calling their character James Vega to be unrealistic due to his build.

james-vega.jpg

James Vega from ME. Guy is clearly build like Chris Redfield. But he's unrealistic :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, first they changed Jill Valentine in Rev1, because they wanted to keep their characters fresh (Their excuse) and now they say that Chris looked unrealistic? BullSh**!!! They don't know what an iconic appearance even means! Do you think Nathan Drake and Cmd. Shepard would be popular if their respective companies would constantly change their appearance? I think not:mad: Honestly, this company doesn't even know what its doing anymore. However, they're good at alienating their own fanbase, which is nothing to be proud of:mad:

Never thought id be in favour of a reboot but tbh, it's starting to look like a good option. In terms of story i have zero idea where the franchise goes from here. Revelations 2's story showed ton's of promise, then RE7 came out of nowhere. Never mind feeling like a different game, RE7 feel's a different universe altogether.
I'm not in favor of a reboot either, but Capcom clearly seems to be clueless. So they reboot it or let the series die.

RE has still many unresolved plots, but nope. Let's change everything for sh*ts and giggles - Capcom

weskerondope

So... What did we learn? Stop changing character models all the time for no good reason and people might just address the topics you want them to discuss rather than the other huge elephant in the room.

Also, why is the introduction argument weak? If looks can't be trusted anymore, then what else do we have left besides a character's behaviour? We have someone who only shows up for the last two minutes of the game, does nothing to write home about and also looks nothing like the guy he's introducing himself as, so yeah, those few words he says are pretty much the only in-game information that carries any weight right now.

so let me get this straight

example of great logical dialogue that tottally makes sense:
Rebecca: its me Chris
Chris: is that you Rebecca?

example of completely impossible dialogue that doesnt make any sense and no character would ever say:
Chris: im Redfield
Ethan: what took you guys so long?

also if you could accept chris as he looks in re5 then you should have NO problem whatsoever to accept how he looks in re7, which is way more closer to his looks in re1 than re5

besides they basicly confirmed that the reason his character model was changed was because of RE engine
and vendetta is animated more like how the characters looked in re6

weskerondope

i knew it was chris all allong, what are you gonna do about it?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
so let me get this straight

example of great logical dialogue that tottally makes sense:
Rebecca: its me Chris
Chris: is that you Rebecca?

example of completely impossible dialogue that doesnt make any sense and no character would ever say:
Chris: im Redfield
Ethan: what took you guys so long?

I can't tell if you're delibaretly missing the point here or just have an amazing talent for misunderstanding people, but either way, here's an example of great logical dialogue:

Weskerondope: I'm the best! And the only one who makes sense here.
Hel: Get off your dope, Wesker! And your high horse too while you're at it.

Kurisu

Even if they say it's Chris... I don't know, something feels weird, especially 'cause he's working for Umbrella. Plus, are they really giving the excuse of "We wanted to change the character's design"? Being an iconic character and protagonist as he is, I don't see the reason of changing his appearance like that. Like it was said before, it's not the first time Capcom does this, but I thought they'd learn from Jill's case since pretty much everyone was raging about it, and this is worse than a face change... We'll have to wait until "Not a hero" comes out to get some answers, even if the appearance subject is closed.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
i knew it was chris all allong, what are you gonna do about it?

gfs_35455_2_4_zpsz6f6nuzw.jpg

I can't tell if you're delibaretly missing the point here or just have an amazing talent for misunderstanding people, but either way, here's an example of great logical dialogue:

Chris in 5 was an updated version of his Remake model...

Whoa, ladies, you can't be using logic/reason with someone like him. You'd be better off talking to a wall.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
... which is precisely why that little bit of information we do have should be considered. You say it's not a trademark of his character to prefer "Chris" over "Redfield", I say it is, and changing that could hint at some unseen character development between RE6 and 7 (which obviously happened in one way or another, what with him being called "not a hero" and working for an organisation calling itself Umbrella), or it could just be sloppy writing.

Anyway, before anyone gets the wrong idea - I couldn't care less at this point where they're going with RE7, so I'm not going to argue about it. This is not RE for me, so it doesn't have to be my Chris either. I'm just saying that small details can matter too, or at least they would if this story had been written by competent writers like those from Naughty Dog or Konami. If Mr Monotone Voice is indeed the insider he claims to be, we at least know that there was a lot of internal disagreement that could explain some of the questionable decisions made for the game.

Yeah, especially since no one had any trouble with the idea that there were two Adas in RE6, even though the clone did look and sound like the original, unlike "Redfield" in RE7, and by now Capcom's story writers are known to recycle their old ideas. It was fake Ada's unusual behaviour and her blue dress in place of a red one that made fans question her identity, yet for some reason that argument is considered weak nowadays.
I'm not against the possibility that he's different. As you mentioned, calling him "not a hero" and the blatant cut to the umbrella logo seen to me to have been clearly designed to make alarm bells go off in the player like "hey, that's not right". Supplementing that evidence with him calling himself Redfield is fine if you're that confident that he always calls himself Chris to everyone he meets, but it's weak evidence on its own to suggest anything about him, because even if he does always call himself Chris, he's never once given any indication that he wouldn't refer to himself as Redfield. And I did say that side of the argument had evidence of varying degrees of validity, meaning some of it I believed was much stronger, but none of it is infallible, especially given Capcom's willingness to retcon anything and everything, which is why despite everything, I still believed it was the real him. He's definitely changed in some way shape or form, but that's for the dlc to sort out, assuming it is the real him, because my side of the argument is no more foolproof.

I used a lot of different tenses in there but I'm too lazy to go back and make it sounds uniform so sorry about that.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Whoa, ladies, you can't be using logic/reason with someone like him. You'd be better off talking to a wall.

I know, but... that's just me, sometimes I can't resist feeding the troll to see where the comedy goes, and this one has not failed to deliver since he started preaching about "true fans" in the other thread. :razz:

Supplementing that evidence with him calling himself Redfield is fine if you're that confident that he always calls himself Chris to everyone he meets, but it's weak evidence on its own to suggest anything about him.

Well, I haven't seen anyone using this as their only argument. If Chris had arrived in a BSAA helicopter, maybe even accompanied by Jill or someone else we know, and last but not least, had he actually looked and sounded like the Chris we know, I guess I might still have stumbled over his introduction, but wouldn't have given it that much thought. It's the combination of all these oddities that made me and others suspect he's a fake.

By the way, Fabled Four, in the light of current events, I want to thank you for keeping this discussion calm and civil even though we have different opinions. If only everyone was like that.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Not to beat a dead horse here, but having just played through RE7 in its entirety (rather than reading and watching a bunch of spoilers), it doesn't make any sense that Chris is working for Umbrella, regardless of who they claim to be as a company now. There's absolutely no way that this new Umbrella Co is even fighting for the "greater good" as their operation in RE7 seems very hush, hush. Their company crumbled as their secret affairs of bioweapon experimentation went public thus leading to an "indefinite suspension of business" for Umbrella and they fell off the map. So who is funding them now? Because clearly they're up and running though also seem to be remaining in the shadows.

We all know who Chris is and the BSAA organization of which he helped form- so why would he leave his organization to go work for Umbrella? To go on a random mission in the boonies because suddenly Umbrella wants to come out of the shadows and fight on the good side? If Umbrella's intensions in RE7 are truly good, then what are they doing that couldn't be done by a bunch of BSAA operatives?

There is a memo on the ship that flat out says other organizations would be looking for Eveline- for the viral infection that consumes her- hence where Mia and her partner came in to help disguise the situation- to appear as though they were a happy family... so why wouldn't one of those organization, like a struggling Umbrella, try and take that opportunity of getting ahold of the E-virus?

Going back to "Redfield" (who isn't even dressed in green- like Chris is always)...Whether or not he is a "clone" (of Chris' new design), Chris under mind control, or simply some random dude claiming to be one of the series most iconic heroes (in an attempt to ruin Chris' reputation and/or create a false sense of security for Ethan) frankly still remains to be unknown at this time. I do find it funny how, before RE7 was even released, the creators were saying how absolutely no past characters would be featured in this game. Then Capcom started saying that past characters are mentioned- but that doesn't mean that they physically appear in the game. The point is that their answers continuously changed before the release of RE7. Perhaps they've been trying to throw fans off and possibly still are by recently coming out and saying that this is indeed Chris- but only time is going to really tell once the Not a Hero dlc comes out. Maybe they're being honest (and stupid) when they say that this is really Chris' new look, but why even bother coming out and spoiling one of the biggest questions this game has left fans with? What's wrong with simply letting fans wait to find out when this DLC officially gets released? Unless they want to convince everyone that this guy who looks and sounds different as well as works for the opposing side, is indeed the real Chris Redfield.

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
This reminds me of James Bond where he's been portrayed by many different actors / faces but despite that at the end of the day he's still the same continuing character. Same for Chris Redfield. They had to find a real person to scan since pretty much every other RE 7 character has a face model. I think this Chris looks great and more realistic, and more importantly he looks human again.

Turo602

The King of Kings
This reminds me of James Bond where he's been portrayed by many different actors / faces but despite that at the end of the day he's still the same continuing character. Same for Chris Redfield. They had to find a real person to scan since pretty much every other RE 7 character has a face model. I think this Chris looks great and more realistic, and more importantly he looks human again.

Top Bottom