• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Redfield in REVII?

Chris Redfield?

• Real Chris Redfield

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Fake Chris Redfield

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters

weskerondope

I highly doubt that a budding bioterrorist organization would even risk allowing Chris to "work" for them... his heroics in the RE universe is too well known. Ada, on the other hand, is another story.

I think it is laughable that people think Capcom is being serious/honest when they say that this is Chris Redfield. They're not gonna give away the "twist". They want us to speculate like they did with Ada in RE6.

It's not Chris- but if it is then I completely agree with @Turo602 on that being the dumbest decision Capcom could make for his character. If it is Chris then there is some serious mind control crap going on here... perhaps Wesker is back and with his best man (who looks fugly now).

mind control you say? thats actually not a bad theory

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Well, there is some, albeit circumstantial evidence that it really is Chris (SPOILERS):

Taken straight from the NAH datamine, this character has punches as his melee/combat moves. That obviously narrows it down unless Capcom actually thought ahead enough to have him mimic Chris.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I don't think he's that ugly, he just doesn't look like Chris to me. :razz:
I'm just being bitter. Compared to the "past" Chris design, he sucks.

Well, there is some, albeit circumstantial evidence that it really is Chris (SPOILERS):

Taken straight from the NAH datamine, this character has punches as his melee/combat moves. That obviously narrows it down unless Capcom actually thought ahead enough to have him mimic Chris.

I don't think punching enemies solidifies anything. He is obviously a trained soldier- whoever he is... Maybe that Vendetta movie will give us more insight on what's going on with "Chris".

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I'm just being bitter. Compared to the "past" Chris design, he sucks.

I don't think punching enemies solidifies anything. He is obviously a trained soldier- whoever he is... Maybe that Vendetta movie will give us more insight on what's going on with "Chris".

Indeed.

Also, him not resembling past models of the character doesn't mean anything. It wouldn't be the first time Capcom changed a character model. *cough*JILL*cough* At least here, they would actually have a REASON to deviate from the boulder-punching, super soldier Chris. Him not being all roided-up like before would go a long way in humanizing the character. Also, I do see a slight resemblance to the REmake/Code Veronica Chris.

Last edited:

weskerondope

i doubt vendetta and 7 will be connected,
i really hope im wrong, but it would be so unlike capcom to actually answer a question

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
i really hope im wrong, but it would be so unlike capcom to actually answer a question

Capcom filled in the blanks in RE5, explaining both Jill's disappearance pre-RE5 (Lost in Nightmares) and her helping Chris and Sheva onboard the chopper after removing the P30 device from her chest (Desperate Escape).

They also FINALLY revealed who the rival organization is in RE7 after all this time, so I think they do a better job of explaining things than you're willing to give them credit for. People like to say it has very few ties to the series lore, but that's a pretty massive one right there. They're saying Wesker might've even been involved in creating Eveline and the E-series bioweapons, I kid you not.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Capcom filled in the blanks in RE5, explaining both Jill's disappearance pre-RE5 (Lost in Nightmares) and her helping Chris and Sheva onboard the chopper after removing the P30 device from her chest (Desperate Escape).

They also FINALLY revealed who the rival organization is in RE7 after all this time, so I think they do a better job of explaining things than you're willing to give them credit for. People like to say it has very few ties to the series lore, but that's a pretty massive one right there. They're saying Wesker might've even been involved in creating Eveline and the E-series bioweapons, I kid you not.

Small vague details in files of a game mostly about unimportant characters in a hillbilly house is hardly anything special in terms of feeling connected to the lore.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Indeed.

Also, him not resembling past models of the character doesn't mean anything. It wouldn't be the first time Capcom changed a character model. *cough*JILL*cough* At least here, they would actually have a REASON to deviate from the boulder-punching, super soldier Chris. Him not being all roided-up like before would go a long way in humanizing the character. Also, I do see a slight resemblance to the REmake/Code Veronica Chris.

Jill's drastic change was only done in the Revelations game, which that side series seems to have a lower budget as well as more flexibility with trying newer things (even though the REvelations series is canon to the main number titles). Jill from RE5 still looks like Jill from REmake- only a bit older with longer hair (and blonde after the experiments).

If it is Chris then it is very drastic because the face looks nothing like Chris'. He looks like a totally different character on top of being less built. Also just because Chris is muscular doesn't mean he's not humanized. So many people in that field of work are muscular/built. I can agree that RE5 was very over-the-top in terms of making everything feel like a superhero comic book, but they toned the muscles down a bit with RE6 and humanized him more in that game by giving him personal struggles.

The ironic thing here is that we have a brand new character from RE7 that resembles Rebecca Chambers more than the so called "Chris Redfield" does to his past model.

It may not answer much but it does take place before RE7 and involves Chris. Maybe the Not a Hero DLC ending will also give us more answers after playing through it rather than looking at insignificant tidbits of information that we have so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hel

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Capcom have confirmed it's him and explained the change: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...deflated-a-popular-resident-evil-7-fan-theory

I had no reason to doubt it was Chris and I think the new look is cute.
They could just be lying, perhaps trying to fuel the discussion fire. It wouldn't be the first time they just outright lied about something. With the demo they tried to present the dummy finger as a complex, near-impossible puzzle, then later said "oh by the way you can't use it yet". I personally think it's actually Chris. I don't particularly want it to be, seeing as the only change I like about him is his hair color. If it is him, then I'd be sad that he doesn't really look like the Chris from before considering I thought it was extremely impressive that despite him looking completely different in 5, he still looked like the same person. If he changes looks completely then that effort would've gone to waste. I do for some reason thinks it's the real him, though. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it's him.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy

TJay

Premium
I don't know, they could just be saying that. Why would they spoil it? If they're just making him look more realistic, why would they change his hair colour? Why does he look like he used to in Vendetta?

Why would they lie at this point? It's free DLC. I don't think it's a case of spoiling anything, they're simply confirming it's Chris. He's looked different in almost every game he's been in and presumably Vendetta was well under way production wise when RE7 was being produced and itsn't a fair comparison.

Why would they put a fake version of one of (if not thee) most iconic characters in the franchise at the end of a main game? What would they have to gain from that from any perspective?

Character design changes happen all the time, in all forms of media.

black 93

As time goes on, im willing to accept i may be wrong and that is actually Chris. It's a brand new engine and Capcom have gone for 'photo realistic' style graphics... it could be Chris. Only thing that's throwing me off and is the Umbrella helicopter. Who knows.... wouldn't be the first time Capcom have drastically changed a character without warning. In fact id argue that the only consistent character's that haven't drastically changed in appearance over the course of the series are Leon and Ada. Chris and Jill are probably the worst offenders for changing their appearance. As much as i don't mind characters changing, Capcom caught a hell of a lot of crap for Chris and Jill's redesign's in RE5 ( yes it's ridiculous but it happened. Maybe Capcom finally got sick of hearing the steroids jokes), and since RE7 is as close as you can get to a reboot without literally rebooting, it's possible i guess. Personally if i was Capcom and i was going to give any character a cameo at the end of this game, it wouldn't be Chris. Chris and Leon are the two older character's that needs the least amount of screentime, and they're both appearing in Vendetta to boot. Rebecca or Jill would have been my go to's but hey, spilt milk now. Just have to wait for Not A Hero, but im not as certain that isn't Chris as i was initially.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
As time goes on, im willing to accept i may be wrong and that is actually Chris. It's a brand new engine and Capcom have gone for 'photo realistic' style graphics... it could be Chris. Only thing that's throwing me off and is the Umbrella helicopter. Who knows.... wouldn't be the first time Capcom have drastically changed a character without warning. In fact id argue that the only consistent character's that haven't drastically changed in appearance over the course of the series are Leon and Ada. Chris and Jill are probably the worst offenders for changing their appearance. As much as i don't mind characters changing, Capcom caught a hell of a lot of crap for Chris and Jill's redesign's in RE5 ( yes it's ridiculous but it happened. Maybe Capcom finally got sick of hearing the steroids jokes), and since RE7 is as close as you can get to a reboot without literally rebooting, it's possible i guess. Personally if i was Capcom and i was going to give any character a cameo at the end of this game, it wouldn't be Chris. Chris and Leon are the two older character's that needs the least amount of screentime, and they're both appearing in Vendetta to boot. Rebecca or Jill would have been my go to's but hey, spilt milk now. Just have to wait for Not A Hero, but im not as certain that isn't Chris as i was initially.
Here's what I imagine went down here with the whole Chris debacle. Obviously my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's, but here's what I think happened. They were hoping the reaction would be "CHRIS IS WORKING FOR UMBRELLA?!?!?!" not, "why is this guy calling himself Chris?". Then fans used evidence of varying degrees of validity (I'm sorry but saying Chris would never introduce himself as 'Redfield' has to be the weakest argument I've heard for anything) to back the claim that he's a fake, to the point where Capcom actually felt the need to make an official statement explaining why Chris looks different. They wanted the reveal of the not a hero dlc to be a relief causing people to think "now they'll explain why Chris is with umbrella because that's so out of character for him", and people wouldn't be assuming that either it's not Chris or they just retconned his entire identity, because if they felt the need to make a dlc based around him, then chances are said dlc will answer question surrounding his dubious circumstances. But that's not exactly how it went down.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
So... What did we learn? Stop changing character models all the time for no good reason and people might just address the topics you want them to discuss rather than the other huge elephant in the room.

Also, why is the introduction argument weak? If looks can't be trusted anymore, then what else do we have left besides a character's behaviour? We have someone who only shows up for the last two minutes of the game, does nothing to write home about and also looks nothing like the guy he's introducing himself as, so yeah, those few words he says are pretty much the only in-game information that carries any weight right now.

As for the video, it's kind of hard to listen to that guy with his monotone voice all the time, but I forced myself through it anyway, and now I'm trying to remember what he said. That not everyone is happy with the way RE7 turned out, and that even Capcom no longer have any idea what to do with this series? Great, what else is new? I also find it weird that he says Zoe's character is underdeveloped. Her story might be underdeveloped (and yes, the moral choice is kind of pointless), but she as a character is still a lot more interesting than all those other bland bores in this game, so while I agree that RE7 deserves to be criticised, maybe don't start with its only somewhat decent character.

Top Bottom