• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 RE5 or RE6?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Interesting. Considering 4 has been established as a breakthrough rebranding of the series and 5 is the best seller of the whole series, I feel a lot of people at least liked them.

I'm not arguing, but can you shed some light on to why you liked 6 better than these two titles?

Turo602

The King of Kings
That's a tough one. Resident Evil 5 is more memorable by far. It's also a more solid experience from beginning to end than Resident Evil 6 and definitely way more polished. But despite Resident Evil 6's flaws, it's still a very fun game with improved co-op design and awesome gameplay mechanics. In many ways, Resident Evil 6 is an improvement over Resident Evil 5 but it also brought along with it a lot of new problems that holds the overall product back. It's a toss up for me.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
Interesting. Considering 4 has been established as a breakthrough rebranding of the series and 5 is the best seller of the whole series, I feel a lot of people at least liked them.

I'm not arguing, but can you shed some light on to why you liked 6 better than these two titles?
For me, RE4 strayed too far from the other games too fast (both mechanically and narratively), and RE5 just felt like another attempt at that. It still used pretty much all of the same mechanics I didn't like in 4, though it at least tried harder to connect itself with the rest of the story in a more meaningful way than just using a few of the characters. In both games, I always felt like I was fighting the aiming, and they felt like they were under water all the time (more RE4 than 5 there).

With RE6, they again tried a little harder to tie it into the older games, but they also revamped the control scheme in a way that I genuinely enjoyed and still do to this day. I don't hate 4 and 5, but I definitely don't enjoy them in the same way I do 6.

Rafterman

I have RE5 but I don't own part 6. I've watched RE6 over on YouTube Rad Brad channel. Here's my take. The fifth installment isn't a masterpiece it was sorta alright but at times kinda disappointing. Hard to explain. However the 6th game base on watching the entire playthru is huge disappointment. Leon's scenario had to rescue this game because it has all or most of the horror aspect that we come to know to love, but when you get to the Sherry and Chris scenarios it looked more like a generic Call of Duty download able content game. One thing I noticed also is that you can literally use the melee combat system without ever firing your weapon ( except during the boss battles )

Forgive me for being a bit to harsh, but that's what I've observed from the playthru.

(Runs out of the room)

HookerZombie

I prefer RE5. RE6 was garbage and messed up so many things and while RE5 was basically a copycat of RE4 I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. It's like that old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
I'm not sure. Both are flawed in their own ways.
RE6 had a better control scheme, but it was attached to what felt like an unfinished game, and like Rafterman said, Leons campaign is the only one that at least tried to get back to the series original core concept, although they s**t the bed towards the end with Simmons.
RE5, whilst a retread of 4, had a better story premise (leaving aside the racism row that erupted after its release for now), but the controls and Sheva's abysmal AI in the single-player derails the entire game for me.

HookerZombie

I never understood the uproar about the game supposedly being "racist". I mean really just because it was set in Africa and had African zombies? I can think of things in real life that are far more racist than a video game about zombies and I think that some people are just way too sensitive for their own good.

JHJ

I never understood the uproar about the game supposedly being "racist". I mean really just because it was set in Africa and had African zombies? I can think of things in real life that are far more racist than a video game about zombies and I think that some people are just way too sensitive for their own good.

You bring up a somewhat valid point, but I think the main reason people were crying racism was because the game had a Caucasian man shooting African people and packaged it up as entertainment (which is weird because Call of Duty has done MUCH worse over the years). That and the fact that when the game came out, we were still in the middle of a highly controversial war in the Middle East, so the timing couldn't have been worse.

Turo602

The King of Kings
You bring up a somewhat valid point, but I think the main reason people were crying racism was because the game had a Caucasian man shooting African people and packaged it up as entertainment (which is weird because Call of Duty has done MUCH worse over the years). That and the fact that when the game came out, we were still in the middle of a highly controversial war in the Middle East, so the timing couldn't have been worse.

The game isn't even remotely racist. Anyone who thought so was an idiot who either never played the series before or just an uptight sensitive asshole looking for something to be upset about. I even wonder how many black people were actually offended by the game or if it was just yet again, dumb white people trying to be offended for everyone.

HookerZombie

I still say it's bologna. I'm more in favor of realism over political correctness and I feel that if the developers were allowed to make the kind of game they originally intended to make people would have realized it still wasn't racist at all and that it may have potentially been a better game.

JHJ

The game isn't even remotely racist. Anyone who thought so was an idiot who either never played the series before or just an uptight sensitive asshole looking for something to be upset about. I even wonder how many black people were actually offended by the game or if it was just yet again, dumb white people trying to be offended for everyone.

I still say it's bologna. I'm more in favor of realism over political correctness and I feel that if the developers were allowed to make the kind of game they originally intended to make people would have realized it still wasn't racist at all and that it may have potentially been a better game.

I agree with both of you. I didn't get a racist vibe from the game, but some people go out of their way to find racism in everything. I honestly think it was mainly a case of bad timing with the games release.

And like I said, CoD did worse, like No Russian, for example. The controversy that level caused was more justifiable, in my opinion, because it's just excessive, and more importantly, unnecessary. The overall story doesn't suffer from its exclusion.
RE5 doesn't have that issue.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It seems to me that in most cases, the real racists are the ones who call everything racist, because it only shows their tendency to see the entire world in black and white - literally. Can anyone tell me the exact number of blond zombies you shot in the last zombie horror game you played, compared to the amount of dark-haired zombies? You probably can't because you didn't even pay much attention, and you didn't pay attention because you're not on a desperate quest to find something potentially offensive to complain about. In a world where people aren't judged based on their race, the colour of their skin doesn't matter any more than that of their hair.

Personally, I would have found it more racist if all the African zombies in RE5 had been white. Because while not everyone you meet in Africa is dark-skinned, the majority of people are, and it's most likely one of the first things that come to your mind when you're told to imagine a native African, or even an African-American. So if there was a zombie virus outbreak in, say, Somalia, then realistically, a majority of those zombies would be black. Making them white instead would be like the developers saying: "We don't want dark-skinned people in our game, not even as the evil things you're supposed to kill, even though we're in a location where it would make total sense." Now that would be racist, right?

But I suppose I wouldn't have too much of a problem with that either because I'm not looking for an excuse to be mad. I just want to play a fun game.

HookerZombie

I agree with both of you. I didn't get a racist vibe from the game, but some people go out of their way to find racism in everything. I honestly think it was mainly a case of bad timing with the games release.

And like I said, CoD did worse, like No Russian, for example. The controversy that level caused was more justifiable, in my opinion, because it's just excessive, and more importantly, unnecessary. The overall story doesn't suffer from its exclusion.
RE5 doesn't have that issue.

Not that I've ever played Call of Duty (it's a game franchise that will never appeal to me) but didn't they also cause a controversial uproar by releasing a game that allowed you to play as the taliban or al queda (don't remember which) in the middle east? I heard that the game got banned in military bases because of that.

JHJ

It seems to me that in most cases, the real racists are the ones who call everything racist, because it only shows their tendency to see the entire world in black and white - literally. Can anyone tell me the exact number of blond zombies you shot in the last zombie horror game you played, compared to the amount of dark-haired zombies? You probably can't because you didn't even pay much attention, and you didn't pay attention because you're not on a desperate quest to find something potentially offensive to complain about. In a world where people aren't judged based on their race, the colour of their skin doesn't matter any more than that of their hair.

Personally, I would have found it more racist if all the African zombies in RE5 had been white. Because while not everyone you meet in Africa is dark-skinned, the majority of people are, and it's most likely one of the first things that come to your mind when you're told to imagine a native African, or even an African-American. So if there was a zombie virus outbreak in, say, Somalia, then realistically, a majority of those zombies would be black. Making them white instead would be like the developers saying: "We don't want dark-skinned people in our game, not even as the evil things you're supposed to kill, even though we're in a location where it would make total sense." Now that would be racist, right?

But I suppose I wouldn't have too much of a problem with that either because I'm not looking for an excuse to be mad. I just want to play a fun game.

This.

Not that I've ever played Call of Duty (it's a game franchise that will never appeal to me) but didn't they also cause a controversial uproar by releasing a game that allowed you to play as the taliban or al queda (don't remember which) in the middle east? I heard that the game got banned in military bases because of that.

I think that was just a rumour, and it might have been about Medal of Honour rather than Call of Duty, but don't quote me on that (if anybody knows for sure, please let us know).

berto

I Saw the Devil
I never understood the uproar about the game supposedly being "racist"
We live in a world where the biggest consumer of video games, the US, has become the single most PC nation in the world, to the point of irrational, illogical, and downright retarded, so much so that that comment would get me a whole lot of labels regarding insensitivity, and ironically, all the comments I'd get would be so much more brutal and insensitive than what I said.

Killing black people in video games, even if they're trying to kill you, are mutated, zombies, terrorists, or just average a**holes, is not PC. That's all. That's why most games have you kill faceless hordes, zombies, nazis, or aliens, to avoid having to deal with whinnying.

HookerZombie

We live in a world where the biggest consumer of video games, the US, has become the single most PC nation in the world, to the point of irrational, illogical, and downright retarded, so much so that that comment would get me a whole lot of labels regarding insensitivity, and ironically, all the comments I'd get would be so much more brutal and insensitive than what I said.

Killing black people in video games, even if they're trying to kill you, are mutated, zombies, terrorists, or just average a**holes, is not PC. That's all. That's why most games have you kill faceless hordes, zombies, nazis, or aliens, to avoid having to deal with whinnying.

I get it, in other words killing nothing but whities is the only way to not offend anybody.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I get it, in other words killing nothing but whities is the only way to not offend anybody.
I'd like to say no but... well, yeah.

You know. When I saw the very first trailer of RE5 I thought it was going to take place in Mexico and I got super excited for a major AAA title to take place there. The thought of Chris, a white dude who's only part Tomahawk, and provably not even in canon, killing my people because he's a racist never occurred to me.Mexican zombies, that's what I was excited about. And, no, just because the previous game had Spanish speaking enemies doesn't make it the same.

Of Course, then it turned out to be Africa and I was a little disappointed but c'est la vie.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I got super excited for a major AAA title to take place there.

If you're into Tomb Raider, try Underworld. One of the levels is set in South Mexico where Lara sets out to explore the Mayan underworld Xibalbá.

Chris, a white dude who's only part Tomahawk, and provably not even in canon

Wait, what? Isn't a tomahawk a weapon?

If you're wondering if Chris is of a mixed race, I believe that idea came from Romero giving him Native American roots in his rejected movie script, but in the games, no, I don't believe he was ever stated to be anything but white. I'm also still trying to find out if Jill is actually half-French and half-Japanese, but I can't even remember anymore where I got that from.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
RE5 by far. It had arguably the most intriguing storyline of all the REs and much better enemies. 6's story was a convoluted mess. The only thing I'd say 6 did better was the extra modes.

Top Bottom