• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RE characters ages: 2019

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I definitely agree that this would be a much better story. RE6 has the weakest story in any RE game to date, and your pitch is far better. I still think Chris should die, lol, but that's just because the whole game was very obviously building to that, so the fact that it didn't happen feels completely out of left field, and not in the "What a twist!" good way. Hell, Chris doesn't even have to die per se, but could have been given his retirement from the series.

Degeneration went out of its way to tell you (and pretty much force it down your throat) that Claire is done with the fight. She doesn't want to be on the front-lines anymore. And I know in Rev2 she was forced into it, but I still think they really only brought her back as a selling point, ignoring the fact that they gave her closure some years prior, and hadn't used her since, up to that point.

Anyway, at this point I'm at a place where I either wanna see the series die, or Capcom do something that will actually make it fresh again. I mean, look at Devil May Cry. 4 and 5 both put Nero front and center, and give Dante a much smaller role. An important role, but smaller. Like they're slowly retiring the character, and easing him out for you. I think they're doing Dante right. Why they can't do this with characters like Leon or Chris is baffling to me.

I really liked how flawed and vulnerable they made Chris. For once he was the one that needed saving and it took his apprentice to make him realize the destructive path he was on and remind Chris of what they were fighting for... But to each their own.

I can’t deny that I feel the same way about the series getting completely rebooted only because Capcom has failed to tie up any lose ends and start meshing things together. I would like RE7 more had they actually tied it in with Revelation 2’s story.
They lack of news for the next major title does have me wondering how they’re going to move on next. REmake 2 has me somewhat hopeful that the next game may play similar in terms gameplay and horror.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Degeneration went out of its way to tell you (and pretty much force it down your throat) that Claire is done with the fight. She doesn't want to be on the front-lines anymore. And I know in Rev2 she was forced into it, but I still think they really only brought her back as a selling point, ignoring the fact that they gave her closure some years prior, and hadn't used her since, up to that point.

You're the only one forcing the idea that they somehow retired an important character through a throwaway CG film. Claire was never "in the front lines." She was looking for her brother and came across some sh*t. Degeneration and Revelations 2 did the same exact thing with her character, which was make her stumble into danger by chance because she can't be written into stories as easy as Leon or Chris who are actively on missions dealing with these kind of threats. If anything, putting her in Terrasave was their way of keeping her close to bioterrorism without cheaply making her another agent/soldier character so that they could use her whenever they wanted.

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I'm not usually ones for taking wording literally. However, if you look at what Leon actually said to Claire in Degeneration, it's not even implied that she was retiring.

You chose the role of rescuer rather than fighter, like me. You chose a path that your brother and I couldn't follow. You weren't wrong.

Just because Claire doesn't play the role of a fighter on the front lines, it doesn't mean she's retired in any way shape or form. To be a rescuer, you've got to be in the eye of the storm too. That means she's involved, still engaging in these types of situations and making a difference. Sure, she's not Chris or Leon running headlong into the fight against bioterror, making it her mission to end it. However, she's involved in a different way that's equally as important, by rescuing people affected by these atrocities and protecting where possible, and that will mean that she'll get involved in outbreak situations, whether as a direct result of this or by accident. As Turo said above, that's probably why Capcom made her a part of TerraSave.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

If someone want to find claire end of the story is code veronica, since he find her brother, but degeneration is no end for her.. I hope they find some new arc for her because right now her character is not developing in any way

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I would love to use Claire more - but I don't know what arc they could give her to bring her back in to the front lines unless they:

A) Have her come to the rescue of a family member or colleague which is what she was doing in RE:CV (And to a degree in RE2)

OR

B) Have her kidnapped and brought to a place which is infested with virus monsters or whatever enemies the next batch will be which is what happened to her in REREV2.

Either way, it'll be hard to include Claire without rehashing similar story concepts.

D

Deleted member 21244

I would love to use Claire more - but I don't know what arc they could give her to bring her back in to the front lines unless they:

A) Have her come to the rescue of a family member or colleague which is what she was doing in RE:CV (And to a degree in RE2)

OR

B) Have her kidnapped and brought to a place which is infested with virus monsters or whatever enemies the next batch will be which is what happened to her in REREV2.

Either way, it'll be hard to include Claire without rehashing similar story concepts.
They always reuse story concept for main character, Chris for example in re 6 vendetta and 7 lost his man and must stop the one responsible for it, leon is always playing love game whit ad and play the hero alongside a girl in resident evil 4, degeneration, 6 and In vendetta he is badly written at the point that he even kill people...

Or Capcom decide to create a new enemy for the main protagonist and give them story arc that will take many games maybe a trilogy or they had to make new character for the next entry, because they simply don't know what to do whit older character if not reuse story concept

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You're the only one forcing the idea that they somehow retired an important character through a throwaway CG film. Claire was never "in the front lines." She was looking for her brother and came across some sh*t. Degeneration and Revelations 2 did the same exact thing with her character, which was make her stumble into danger by chance because she can't be written into stories as easy as Leon or Chris who are actively on missions dealing with these kind of threats. If anything, putting her in Terrasave was their way of keeping her close to bioterrorism without cheaply making her another agent/soldier character so that they could use her whenever they wanted.
I completley disagree here. Calling the film a throwaway film is almost insulting lol. It's just as canon and relevant as games like RE4 and RE7. Sure, you may not care for those games, but it's part of the canon and mythos, and certain decisions that Capcom made for the characters were meant to be signals, and story telling techniques. There's a purpose in this film. Hell, TerraSave is introduced in this film, as a way to show that Claire is taking a different role. Now, we can argue whether or not this was done to retire her. I think it was. You think it wasn't. Either way, even if it wasn't, it was a perfect avenue to do so, and if it went largely unnoticed by Capcom, that's an even bigger disappointment. We need these characters to be slowly phased out, and having Claire join an organization that handles the humanitarian aftermath of outbreaks, is a way to keep her out of the action, but show where her character went, and her importance to the series overall.

I'm not usually ones for taking wording literally. However, if you look at what Leon actually said to Claire in Degeneration, it's not even implied that she was retiring.

You chose the role of rescuer rather than fighter, like me. You chose a path that your brother and I couldn't follow. You weren't wrong.

Just because Claire doesn't play the role of a fighter on the front lines, it doesn't mean she's retired in any way shape or form. To be a rescuer, you've got to be in the eye of the storm too. That means she's involved, still engaging in these types of situations and making a difference. Sure, she's not Chris or Leon running headlong into the fight against bioterror, making it her mission to end it. However, she's involved in a different way that's equally as important, by rescuing people affected by these atrocities and protecting where possible, and that will mean that she'll get involved in outbreak situations, whether as a direct result of this or by accident. As Turo said above, that's probably why Capcom made her a part of TerraSave.
You and I read this very differently. She isn't in the eye of the storm. That's the point. She's part of the team that cleans up AFTER the storm. Just like real humanitarian organizations. When a Tornado is destroying a city, you don't have your humanitarian groups repairing buildings mid storm. They do it after. Yeah, you have your first responders doing stuff. Police and Medical personal driving ambulances when they're called. But that's effectively the BSAA in this scenario. The folks on the ground mid outbreak. Her mission is to restore hope to people when they've lost everything. Now, you can argue that part of being in TerraSave would entail going into these events mid outbreak to save people. But if that's the case, they'd basically just be another military style organization such as the BSAA or the US government. And if that's what they were gonna do, then that's redundant, makes what they've done with Claire even more pointless. Not only is this a dumb idea, but there is NO information on TerraSave that shows that they do this/have this capability. Again, they're a humanitarian group. So no. Claire isn't in the eye of the storm. And that's what Degeneration was going out of their way to show.

This. This is exactly correct. Which is why they should do the right thing, and retire her. Maybe have her make cameo appearances doing not action stuff. Have her be on the phone with Leon or Chris. Have Jill run into her post outbreak administering medicine to survivors. These would all work. But having her as a main character in a game that isn't a remake, is just bad storing telling at this point.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I completley disagree here. Calling the film a throwaway film is almost insulting lol. It's just as canon and relevant as games like RE4 and RE7. Sure, you may not care for those games, but it's part of the canon and mythos, and certain decisions that Capcom made for the characters were meant to be signals, and story telling techniques. There's a purpose in this film. Hell, TerraSave is introduced in this film, as a way to show that Claire is taking a different role. Now, we can argue whether or not this was done to retire her. I think it was. You think it wasn't. Either way, even if it wasn't, it was a perfect avenue to do so, and if it went largely unnoticed by Capcom, that's an even bigger disappointment. We need these characters to be slowly phased out, and having Claire join an organization that handles the humanitarian aftermath of outbreaks, is a way to keep her out of the action, but show where her character went, and her importance to the series overall.

It's a throwaway film. Nobody needs to watch them to keep up with the stories of the games. Revelations 2 even introduces TerraSave at the very start of the game because they know not everyone saw an obscure CG film that was meant to exist in its own bubble for hardcore fans to enjoy on the side. And no, there really is no argument about her retirement. No one but you has ever pushed that angle and just as predicted before, because of course, Claire came back in Revelations 2. Luke Skywalker isn't gonna be killed or "retired" in some dumb novel or comic book either. The games take precedent over anything else, regardless of canon.

I also don't get the obsession some people have with killing or retiring the main cast. It honestly comes off a bit foolish and misguided because people think that Capcom is gonna magically have the ability to write amazing new characters with depth. Even the new characters they have now are generic and only serve to remind us of the older characters, but without the history, motivation, and charisma. Capcom isn't competent enough to phase out the old cast or wrap up their stories in meaningful ways so wanting them to do so for the sake of seeing young faces seems pointless.

Reactions: Jen

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It's a throwaway film. Nobody needs to watch them to keep up with the stories of the games. Revelations 2 even introduces TerraSave at the very start of the game because they know not everyone saw an obscure CG film that was meant to exist in its own bubble for hardcore fans to enjoy on the side. And no, there really is no argument about her retirement. No one but you has ever pushed that angle and just as predicted before, because of course, Claire came back in Revelations 2. Luke Skywalker isn't gonna be killed or "retired" in some dumb novel or comic book either. The games take precedent over anything else, regardless of canon.

I also don't get the obsession some people have with killing or retiring the main cast. It honestly comes off a bit foolish and misguided because people think that Capcom is gonna magically have the ability to write amazing new characters with depth. Even the new characters they have now are generic and only serve to remind us of the older characters, but without the history, motivation, and charisma. Capcom isn't competent enough to phase out the old cast or wrap up their stories in meaningful ways so wanting them to do so for the sake of seeing young faces seems pointless.
Lol, you say Capcom is incompetent, but then you also say they won't do something like retire Claire in a "throwaway film," which would, in essence, be completely incompetent. You're gonna have to be a bit more consistent. And yes...I would like to see younger faces because the idea of Leon and Chris running and gunning like Action heroes in their 50's is something I don't wanna see. I can fall down a YouTube rabbit hole if I wanted a disappointing fanfic video of a Resident Evil/The Expendables crossover.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Lol, you say Capcom is incompetent, but then you also say they won't do something like retire Claire in a "throwaway film," which would, in essence, be completely incompetent. You're gonna have to be a bit more consistent. And yes...I would like to see younger faces because the idea of Leon and Chris running and gunning like Action heroes in their 50's is something I don't wanna see. I can fall down a YouTube rabbit hole if I wanted a disappointing fanfic video of a Resident Evil/The Expendables crossover.

Well you clearly ran out of steam for your argument. Just because they didn't do something extremely stupid one time, doesn't mean they're somehow better writers than they were before.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well you clearly ran out of steam for your argument. Just because they didn't do something extremely stupid one time, doesn't mean they're somehow better writers than they were before.
Lol, you say Capcom does stupid things ALL the time though. You constantly nitpick Capcom, and frankly, have more negative about them to say than praise. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. There's a LOT to criticize when it comes to Capcom. But you can't spend 90% of your time on here criticizing RE and Capcom, talk about how dumb they are with writing/decision making, and then when I'm saying they did something others seem to consider ill thought out, you say "No, they wouldn't do something so dumb." If it WAS just "One Time," you may have a point. But you spend a LOT of time on here talking about Capcom's mistakes, meaning in your eyes, it's not just "One time." What makes this time any different?

Turo602

The King of Kings
Lol, you say Capcom does stupid things ALL the time though. You constantly nitpick Capcom, and frankly, have more negative about them to say than praise. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. There's a LOT to criticize when it comes to Capcom. But you can't spend 90% of your time on here criticizing RE and Capcom, talk about how dumb they are with writing/decision making, and then when I'm saying they did something others seem to consider ill thought out, you say "No, they wouldn't do something so dumb." If it WAS just "One Time," you may have a point. But you spend a LOT of time on here talking about Capcom's mistakes, meaning in your eyes, it's not just "One time."

You're grasping at straws here. What you're trying to do here is very pathetic too. Rather than break down what I said, you're ducking out of the entire conversation and focusing on what you think is a crack in my logic as if saying "gotcha" is gonna destroy my entire argument.

But, apparently I have to explain arbitrary things that anyone else would have otherwise understood but you apparently take literally with disregard of context.

You're insinuating that Capcom can't do anything good in my eyes (which not retiring Claire in expanded material is hardly worth a pat on the back because there never was any question about it), because I think they're generally incompetent writers? How do any of those things relate? I never said they would never do anything that stupid, they just simply didn't do it. You're trying to use ONE example of Capcom doing something "good" like it destroys my point because I said they're incompetent?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You're grasping at straws here. What you're trying to do here is very pathetic too. Rather than break down what I said, you're ducking out of the entire conversation and focusing on what you think is a crack in my logic as if saying "gotcha" is gonna destroy my entire argument.

But, apparently I have to explain arbitrary things that anyone else would have otherwise understood but you apparently take literally with disregard of context.

You're insinuating that Capcom can't do anything good in my eyes (which not retiring Claire in expanded material is hardly worth a pat on the back because there never was any question about it), because I think they're generally incompetent writers? How do any of those things relate? I never said they would never do anything that stupid, they just simply didn't do it. You're trying to use ONE example of Capcom doing something "good" like it destroys my point because I said they're incompetent?
I can completely continue with my point of Degeneration being an attempt at retiring Claire. But your inconsistency needs to be called out lol. As far as not making major canonical changes in a different medium, I call bogus.

- Doggett was killed off in the X-Files via canon comic book, regardless of TV being the primary medium. (This was later retconned, but it happened regardless)
- Asohka Tano is a character that is COMPLETELY added to the Star Wars mythos that is canon, completely changes the character dynamic of Anakin Skywalker, isn't even mentioned in the movies (For obvious reason, but still it's part of canon, and it happened in a piece of media that wasn't the franchises dominant medium, since you're saying that matters)
- To continue with Star Wars, Anakin's conception by Sidious using the force to impregnate Shmi Skywalker, which IS a big deal for a character, WAS done in comics. No mention of this in movies or video games.

There's three examples of major character changes/alterations that are canon and done in smaller, non-main form of the franchises media. So to say "Capcom won't do this to Claire because they wouldn't make a decision like that not in the games, because the games are the main form of the franchise" is foolish. Canon is canon. You can argue Degeneration is far more important to canon than RE7, and honestly even RE4. The medium is irrelevant.

Now, as for your lapse in consistency, my point is, you can't spend all this time criticizing, saying they're making bad decisions with a subjective opinion on what's bad, then when I do it, say I'm wrong with no proof. At the end of the day, technically neither of us know. You've said yourself, Capcom are kinda horrible writers, so you have to admit, to stay consistent with your beliefs, that there's a chance they wrote something poorly here. You don't have to take it as fact. Because it isn't a fact. We don't' know. But we can't say it's off the table, or that they wouldn't do it, considering some of the other AWFUL choices they've made in the past.

And, at the end of the day, whether she was or wasn't retired, is kind of a moot point. She came back in Revelations 2. I personally think that was a poor choice. I was annoyed at seeing Claire back, because it didn't NEED to be Claire. It could have been anyone with TerraSave, the game would have been JUST as good. We got Claire, I assume, because bringing back familiar faces will sell long time fans. Evening if it's unnecessary to do it, and you could slowly evolve and push your story forward without them. You say Capcom is hacky at writing new characters, but I enjoyed Moira, Jake, and Piers. Now, I hated Sheva and Helena. So obviously Capcom isn't perfect with 'em. But at one point all characters were new. Leon was new when RE2 came out, and that's considered by MOST to be the best the series ever was. And unlike Claire, he didn't even have ANY relation to the events of the first game. Billy was new, and while he only got one game, was cool and memorable. Same can be said about Carlos. Unfortunately, Capcom won't give any of their new characters a chance to stick. The more interesting question is why? Why bring them in, if only to never use them again.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Capcom could have easily fazed Claire out with her finding Chris at the end of Code Veronica. Instead, what they chose to do with her character in Degeneration gives Capcom that chess piece they have the option of playing when the story allows. She is still involved in the fight against bioterrorism and, as we can see with Revelations 2, she can still be utilized in the conflict. Her position sets her apart from the typical trained agent or soldier which makes the story more interesting when they do use her.

If Capcom were to actually follow up on Revelation 2’s ending, they could seriously take the story to so many different places. The fate of the Burtons remains unknown. Barry is a character that Capcom could actually kill off and have enough impact on fans that makes them want to see the other icons (Claire, Chris, Jill, etc.) work alongside Moira in seeking justice/vengeance. Pretty frustrating that Revelations 2 is only considered a spinoff, because they’ve created a storyline that is more fitting for the main numbered titles. Frankly Revelations 2 is the true RE7 sequel.

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Capcom could have easily fazed Claire out with her finding Chris at the end of Code Veronica. Instead, what they chose to do with her character in Degeneration gives Capcom that chess piece they have the option of playing when the story allows. She is still involved in the fight against bioterrorism and, as we can see with Revelations 2, she can still be utilized in the conflict. Her position sets her apart from the typical trained agent or soldier which makes the story more interesting when they do use her.

If Capcom were to actually follow up on Revelation 2’s ending, they could seriously take the story to so many different places. The fate of the Burtons remains unknown. Barry is a character that Capcom could actually kill off and have enough impact on fans that makes them want to see the other icons (Claire, Chris, Jill, etc.) work alongside Moira in seeking justice/vengeance. Pretty frustrating that Revelations 2 is only considered a spinoff, because they’ve created a storyline that is more fitting for the main numbered titles. Frankly Revelations 2 is the true RE7 sequel.
Killing off Barry is a move I think that would be jarring and needed to spice things up. I didn't care that Piers died. Hell, I was annoyed. But Barry, that one would have weight, and would take an RE game down a revenge path. I guess that's what they tried to do with RE6, but it failed. A slow paced horror/revenge story staring Moira...Now that has me feeling good.

D

Deleted member 21244

Capcom will never kill they re main character, and since now they are developing game whit new character like re 7 and having main character to be supporting character, i seriously doubt they will kill them off, I mean can you imagine Chris been killed at the end of Re 7? If re 8 play the same and some other main characters (leon Claire Jill) will happear as supporting character is seriously doubt they will die...

Also i don't se a meaning for them to die, Jill "die" fighting wesker to save Chris, that is the only time a main re character died for something, bur right now I don't see the motive to kill them...

I think degeneration did the opposite of retiring claire character, they put her in terrasave because they wanted her to be more close to bioterrorism, since she is not a fighter like Chris, Jill, Barry and Leon this was the only way...

The cgi movie and spin off are made also for the purpose of bringing back some main character like Claire Barry and Rebecca and give them motivation, if it wasn't for this cgi movie and spin off they're story would have stopped at the years 1998, so Capcom intention is not to retire character but to put them back into the series to continue using them

Turo602

The King of Kings
I can completely continue with my point of Degeneration being an attempt at retiring Claire. But your inconsistency needs to be called out lol. As far as not making major canonical changes in a different medium, I call bogus.

- Doggett was killed off in the X-Files via canon comic book, regardless of TV being the primary medium. (This was later retconned, but it happened regardless)
- Asohka Tano is a character that is COMPLETELY added to the Star Wars mythos that is canon, completely changes the character dynamic of Anakin Skywalker, isn't even mentioned in the movies (For obvious reason, but still it's part of canon, and it happened in a piece of media that wasn't the franchises dominant medium, since you're saying that matters)
- To continue with Star Wars, Anakin's conception by Sidious using the force to impregnate Shmi Skywalker, which IS a big deal for a character, WAS done in comics. No mention of this in movies or video games.

There's three examples of major character changes/alterations that are canon and done in smaller, non-main form of the franchises media. So to say "Capcom won't do this to Claire because they wouldn't make a decision like that not in the games, because the games are the main form of the franchise" is foolish. Canon is canon. You can argue Degeneration is far more important to canon than RE7, and honestly even RE4. The medium is irrelevant.

Now, as for your lapse in consistency, my point is, you can't spend all this time criticizing, saying they're making bad decisions with a subjective opinion on what's bad, then when I do it, say I'm wrong with no proof. At the end of the day, technically neither of us know. You've said yourself, Capcom are kinda horrible writers, so you have to admit, to stay consistent with your beliefs, that there's a chance they wrote something poorly here. You don't have to take it as fact. Because it isn't a fact. We don't' know. But we can't say it's off the table, or that they wouldn't do it, considering some of the other AWFUL choices they've made in the past.

And, at the end of the day, whether she was or wasn't retired, is kind of a moot point. She came back in Revelations 2. I personally think that was a poor choice. I was annoyed at seeing Claire back, because it didn't NEED to be Claire. It could have been anyone with TerraSave, the game would have been JUST as good. We got Claire, I assume, because bringing back familiar faces will sell long time fans. Evening if it's unnecessary to do it, and you could slowly evolve and push your story forward without them. You say Capcom is hacky at writing new characters, but I enjoyed Moira, Jake, and Piers. Now, I hated Sheva and Helena. So obviously Capcom isn't perfect with 'em. But at one point all characters were new. Leon was new when RE2 came out, and that's considered by MOST to be the best the series ever was. And unlike Claire, he didn't even have ANY relation to the events of the first game. Billy was new, and while he only got one game, was cool and memorable. Same can be said about Carlos. Unfortunately, Capcom won't give any of their new characters a chance to stick. The more interesting question is why? Why bring them in, if only to never use them again.

You can't which is why you've changed the entire argument and made up an "inconsistency" in an effort to look like you know what you're talking about.

Those examples are in no way similar to this situation and you just proved my point. Asohka has no affect on the films because that's the main canon, much like games are to Resident Evil. They could do all sorts of sh*t outside of their respective medium but it will never impact the main series outside of the expanded stuff. They would never take a main character from the main canon, like Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, and kill them in a comic while the series is still running. That would confuse the larger audience and would be sh*t storytelling. There's a reason Disney erased all the expanded universe stuff after they acquired Star Wars. So much for "canon is canon."

I can very damn well criticize Capcom all I want for their terrible decisions, and still call you out for making false claims like "they retired Claire in Degeneration." As you told Hel earlier in the thread, it is your job to prove that claim, not mine. There is no inconsistency in saying Capcom are poor writers just because they didn't do something I would have considered awful. Degeneration itself is proof that Capcom aren't genius writers. It's not even that good of a story and Leon's character is too serious from what he is in RE4. I also don't have to question things I'm okay with or like just to support an awful claim someone else made so I can stay "consistent with my beliefs" that Capcom are poor writers so therefore, it could be totally possible that the thing they didn't do which I have no reason to criticize them for, could actually be wrong. That makes zero sense and I'm honestly getting tired of the subject because it's just stupid and a waste of time.

Yes, she came back in Revelations 2, proving she was never "retired" like you've constantly stated. The original characters being new at one time means nothing. They were the start of the franchise before it became about self-contained nonsense. Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire, we got to experience their first encounters with an outbreak and see them grow with the storyline as they became more involved in the conflict. Characters like Sheva, Piers, Helena, and Jake suck because they just came out of nowhere to act as a co-op partner to characters who have already been established, yet they're somehow as skilled and badass and unfazed by horrific sh*t. They have no deeper roots to the franchise other than whatever they chose to write into that game and even had their arcs fulfilled by the end.

Moira and Sherry are the only younger characters who feel like they have roots just as deep as the main cast because we've known of them from the very beginning and they're old enough now to take center stage and still feel like Resident Evil. I've always said the Burtons should be slaughtered in their beds because Alex being a runaway or living with the Burtons and smelling their farts is just too Saturday morning cartoon for a mature survival horror franchise. But like bSTAR said, Moira being brought back by something like this is a great way to go because it gives her character a strong motivation, and because players can get behind her because we like Barry and want to see him get justice. Barry's death is also big enough to warrant the return of Claire, Chris, and Jill in some capacity, and Moira's relationship with each of them could be explored. However, Capcom is Capcom so I expect they'll do something dumb that only prolongs the series and makes it more confusing because they've never had an overarching plan ever since they took over with RE5.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You can't which is why you've changed the entire argument and made up an "inconsistency" in an effort to look like you know what you're talking about.

Those examples are in no way similar to this situation and you just proved my point. Asohka has no affect on the films because that's the main canon, much like games are to Resident Evil. They could do all sorts of sh*t outside of their respective medium but it will never impact the main series outside of the expanded stuff. They would never take a main character from the main canon, like Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, and kill them in a comic while the series is still running. That would confuse the larger audience and would be sh*t storytelling. There's a reason Disney erased all the expanded universe stuff after they acquired Star Wars. So much for "canon is canon."

I can very damn well criticize Capcom all I want for their terrible decisions, and still call you out for making false claims like "they retired Claire in Degeneration." As you told Hel earlier in the thread, it is your job to prove that claim, not mine. There is no inconsistency in saying Capcom are poor writers just because they didn't do something I would have considered awful. Degeneration itself is proof that Capcom aren't genius writers. It's not even that good of a story and Leon's character is too serious from what he is in RE4. I also don't have to question things I'm okay with or like just to support an awful claim someone else made so I can stay "consistent with my beliefs" that Capcom are poor writers so therefore, it could be totally possible that the thing they didn't do which I have no reason to criticize them for, could actually be wrong. That makes zero sense and I'm honestly getting tired of the subject because it's just stupid and a waste of time.

Yes, she came back in Revelations 2, proving she was never "retired" like you've constantly stated. The original characters being new at one time means nothing. They were the start of the franchise before it became about self-contained nonsense. Chris, Jill, Leon, and Claire, we got to experience their first encounters with an outbreak and see them grow with the storyline as they became more involved in the conflict. Characters like Sheva, Piers, Helena, and Jake suck because they just came out of nowhere to act as a co-op partner to characters who have already been established, yet they're somehow as skilled and badass and unfazed by horrific sh*t. They have no deeper roots to the franchise other than whatever they chose to write into that game and even had their arcs fulfilled by the end.

Moira and Sherry are the only younger characters who feel like they have roots just as deep as the main cast because we've known of them from the very beginning and they're old enough now to take center stage and still feel like Resident Evil. I've always said the Burtons should be slaughtered in their beds because Alex being a runaway or living with the Burtons and smelling their farts is just too Saturday morning cartoon for a mature survival horror franchise. But like bSTAR said, Moira being brought back by something like this is a great way to go because it gives her character a strong motivation, and because players can get behind her because we like Barry and want to see him get justice. Barry's death is also big enough to warrant the return of Claire, Chris, and Jill in some capacity, and Moira's relationship with each of them could be explored. However, Capcom is Capcom so I expect they'll do something dumb that only prolongs the series and makes it more confusing because they've never had an overarching plan ever since they took over with RE5.

What I said was, and I quote, "Degeneration went out of its way to tell you (and pretty much force it down your throat) that Claire is done with the fight." Which it did. Capcom made up an entire new company, which is a Humanitarian company that focuses specifically on healing, rather than fighting, and put Claire in that position. So much so that she and Leon had a conversation about her taking a different role in a world where bio-terrorism is a threat. I speculate that was Capcom's way of retiring here, considering all the length they went through to introduce all the brand new canon information. That was their way of phasing an older character out. And frankly, I though it was done well. I actually think Degeneration is the weakest of the three movies, and you're right. What they did with Leon's character was atrocious. But the one thing I think they did well, was exposition on an older Claire, and giving her a new role.

And there is no "Main Canon." There's Canon. And there's Non Canon. It's that simple. Just because something is canon doesn't mean it has to have a huge impact on the story. It just means it's recognized as being accepted in the mythos. Now, Film is the main form of MEDIA attached to Star Wars. But it shares its canon with whatever other forms of media that Disney accepts. The new Star Wars comics? Canon. They are set in the same univese as the films, expanding on the films mythos. They exist on the same plane of existence. You can argue one is more important than the other, and that that's the films, and that's fine. I would agree. But one is not more canon than another. They're the same. Retcons happen. Things change. In Resident Evils case, REmake is canon. RE1 is not. REmake retcons the canon of the universe these games are set in, rendering the original non-canon. You know how this works. The CGI movies are canon to the games. It's that simple. You can argue they aren't as important. That's fine. That's a different debate all together. But Degeneration, RE7, RE3, Revelations 2, Damnation, and any other piece of media that Capcom dictates as canon, are all part of that same shared universe, regardless of medium. Capcom can change the canon at anytime they want, just like Disney does, just like comics do ALL the time, just like Dragon Ball did. Whatever. Retcons are a thing. And I can make the case that bringing Claire back for Revelations 2 was a sort of soft retcon, since they never officially stated she was retired. Just insinuated it. If Claire NEVER came back to the series again, the information we got in Degeneration was a fine send off that answered questions, and gave her one last adventure. Boom. Easy way to retire a character. Now move on to the other 3.

But, let's say she was retired. Just for simplicity's sake, lets say she was. Why can't you bring a character out of retirement? Akira Toriyma retired Goku in favor of making Gohan the lead until fan outcry made him reconsider. Marvel retired Wolverine in 2014, only to bring him out of retirement 4 ish years later. DC retired Barry Allen for TWENTY-THREE YEARS after Crisis on Infinite Earths, only to bring him out of retirement. Whether she was or wasn't doesn't matter, because at any time, Capcom can bring her out. I'm saying, they shouldn't have. They should have let Degeneration be her last major appearance. Point is, she should be retired. They should naturally retire all the main cast, because again, seeing these guys doing flips and action hero stuff in their 50's. That's just me. Maybe others wanna see them doing that. Old Man Logan is cool after all.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
These arguments are getting so in depth. I would like to see a Bibliography/Works Cited at the very end just to learn about all the references we're making here.

I learned a lot about Star Wars here after all from reading through these which was quite nice.

If I can refer to what I said earlier in the thread about having Claire come back in to the fold - I would love to have more Claire in my life, but I don't know how they would do it in a natural way. And to argue, I thought Piers' death was pretty good. It was a little cliche, but it still ha d a lot of weight to it. And we don't for SURE know Piers is dead. Can't an electric monster swim?

Turo602

The King of Kings
What I said was, and I quote, "Degeneration went out of its way to tell you (and pretty much force it down your throat) that Claire is done with the fight." Which it did. Capcom made up an entire new company, which is a Humanitarian company that focuses specifically on healing, rather than fighting, and put Claire in that position. So much so that she and Leon had a conversation about her taking a different role in a world where bio-terrorism is a threat. I speculate that was Capcom's way of retiring here, considering all the length they went through to introduce all the brand new canon information. That was their way of phasing an older character out. And frankly, I though it was done well. I actually think Degeneration is the weakest of the three movies, and you're right. What they did with Leon's character was atrocious. But the one thing I think they did well, was exposition on an older Claire, and giving her a new role.

And there is no "Main Canon." There's Canon. And there's Non Canon. It's that simple. Just because something is canon doesn't mean it has to have a huge impact on the story. It just means it's recognized as being accepted in the mythos. Now, Film is the main form of MEDIA attached to Star Wars. But it shares its canon with whatever other forms of media that Disney accepts. The new Star Wars comics? Canon. They are set in the same univese as the films, expanding on the films mythos. They exist on the same plane of existence. You can argue one is more important than the other, and that that's the films, and that's fine. I would agree. But one is not more canon than another. They're the same. Retcons happen. Things change. In Resident Evils case, REmake is canon. RE1 is not. REmake retcons the canon of the universe these games are set in, rendering the original non-canon. You know how this works. The CGI movies are canon to the games. It's that simple. You can argue they aren't as important. That's fine. That's a different debate all together. But Degeneration, RE7, RE3, Revelations 2, Damnation, and any other piece of media that Capcom dictates as canon, are all part of that same shared universe, regardless of medium. Capcom can change the canon at anytime they want, just like Disney does, just like comics do ALL the time, just like Dragon Ball did. Whatever. Retcons are a thing. And I can make the case that bringing Claire back for Revelations 2 was a sort of soft retcon, since they never officially stated she was retired. Just insinuated it. If Claire NEVER came back to the series again, the information we got in Degeneration was a fine send off that answered questions, and gave her one last adventure. Boom. Easy way to retire a character. Now move on to the other 3.

But, let's say she was retired. Just for simplicity's sake, lets say she was. Why can't you bring a character out of retirement? Akira Toriyma retired Goku in favor of making Gohan the lead until fan outcry made him reconsider. Marvel retired Wolverine in 2014, only to bring him out of retirement 4 ish years later. DC retired Barry Allen for TWENTY-THREE YEARS after Crisis on Infinite Earths, only to bring him out of retirement. Whether she was or wasn't doesn't matter, because at any time, Capcom can bring her out. I'm saying, they shouldn't have. They should have let Degeneration be her last major appearance. Point is, she should be retired. They should naturally retire all the main cast, because again, seeing these guys doing flips and action hero stuff in their 50's. That's just me. Maybe others wanna see them doing that. Old Man Logan is cool after all.

Claire not choosing the path of fighter like Leon and Chris doesn't mean she's done with the "fight." You said it yourself, she just has a new purpose. They're on the same side trying to accomplish the same things, just in different ways through different organizations. Claire was never a fighter, it was never her mission to stop bioterrorism, until Degeneration. Her story arc of trying to find Chris was over so now they set up a new arc for her. Just like how Chris was suddenly in the BSAA. It's a plot device to keep bringing these characters back without making up a new motivation each time. You have yet to provide any evidence like you suggested, just speculation, which again, Revelations 2 proves is wrong. Capcom never intended to retire her nor does the film suggest this. There was nothing final about her appearance in Degeneration. Just you seeing things literally no one else did, because you personally don't want her back.

I don't understand the relevance to all that talk about canon. What I said was pretty simple. You're honestly just arguing semantics at this point. It's all canon, but they all exist in their own bubbles and one takes precedent over the other. There's a main canon and an expanded canon. Expanded material isn't meant to take over the main series and be interchangeable because it's all canon. That would be sh*t storytelling and confusing to the larger audience. You can definitely make the case, but it would be a weak one because not stating something that they never intended to convey like Claire being a "retired" character doesn't mean they're making a retcon by bringing her back just because you think it was insinuated, yet can't back up with any official statements, lines of dialogue, or rationale.

I never said they couldn't bring back characters they killed, retired, or stated they're done with. People flip flop all the time. But seeing as this was never the case for Claire, it's irrelevant. Yes, aging the characters so drastically is stupid, but replacing them with less interesting and less likable characters isn't the answer. They either need to stop referencing time, retcon ages and dates, or completely reboot. As a side note though, I can personally see the potential in an older Chris or Leon. They did it with Snake, Marcus Fenix, and Kratos. However, I doubt Capcom is clever enough to do it justice.

Top Bottom