• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 RE 7 New Footage "Lantern".

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Nice find, we give our thoughts heavily backed by facts while they can only provide ad hominems.

I wasn't trying to attack Turo if that's what you were implying? :O I was just saying that he would have a bet if went with the whole he "guarantees" no one would recognize it. I know that there's no way I'm the only one. Ugh.... if I was wrong I would have made a fool out of myself in front of my friend who knows I'm a pretty hardcore fan xD

Uhhhh is it bad that I recognized it because of that little detail? o.0

you do know that ALOT of games re-use sound effects and borrow from multiple games right?

This does occur at times, under a few conditions.

A) The game released under the same developer who owns the rights, or is associated with said rights holder.

If it was another Capcom game, for example "Project Kitchen" was released as it's own thing then this would have been possible. I considered this but I also recalled some rumors suggested that it would merged into RE7. The little "Kitchen" reference didn't help this case either. So this was a dead give away that Capcom was responsible imho.

B) The sound effect was purchased through a license or used through creative commons and/or free use.

I highly, highly doubt that would be a case in this scenario. This isn't often done in AAA titles. Unless you're a really Naughty Dog (I'm kidding).

Bungie reuses it's footstep sounds on the stairs in both Halo and Oni. Where BioWare, for what ever reason I don't know. Actually re-records a majority of the sounds for their sequels. Even if they are similar enough to be considered the same -_-

Anyways if one developer were to use the sound effect from another game and were caught. Even if it was a hit sound that wasn't free common license or even a grunt. Huuuuuuuge lawsuits could follow. It's sadly considered theft in the game development community and a huge no no. It's 100% files under plagiarism. No matter how similar or generic the sound may sound. It's heavily edited or re-recorded. The item (Tape) in REVII may sound different, but I'd say it's similar enough. Call me crazy but it had me jumping up and down like a fan boy when I saw that in the trailer :3

Heavily backed facts? Yes there have been video tapes and associated noises, but when I think of Resident Evil I don't think, 'wow, I hope there's video tapes!!' I get that there's a link there but I wouldn't have guessed based on the video tape that the trailer was showing RE7.

The idea isn't the tapes themselves. Just the sound and the way the item popped up. To me.... it just rung a bell, but Turo is right about it not being as iconic as a chest from Zelda but it was only an example. Perhaps one that was too simple and perhaps a little... exaggerative? Maybe, maybe not. :p I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I RE0 and the RE remake were my first Resident Evil games when I was 13 or 14 and I loved them :) maybe that got burned into my brain lmao! :)

One thing is for sure. I don't think the RE community will ever agree on REVII at this rate xD At least we're not hostile here and have respect for each other. REVII certainly did create a split of opinions for the fans and one thing is for sure. The game is going to be a very different experience and for me personally, I can feel that Resident Evil-ish feel to the game. The game just isn't vocal or in your face about it.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
http://residentevil.org/posts/183124/ around that page and the other thread where I made PT RE7 comparison.

Just as with the sound effects, many games use similar story premises, and also similar gameplay elements. By your argument in that other thread, you could also call The Evil Within an RE game (which it was clearly inspired by, but it still doesn't say "Resident Evil" on it), or lump DmC together with Bayonetta and American McGee's Alice. What I've seen of RE7 so far reminds me more of Silent Hill than previous REs - and no, I'm not trying to start yet another RE7 vs PT argument, I've only seen one playthrough of PT a long time ago and forgotten about it right afterwards because of how profoundly it bored me. I wasn't even thinking of PT when I saw the RE7 demo, but I wasn't thinking of RE either, that's my point. A few unlucky souls exploring an abandoned creepy mansion isn't enough to make me think of RE, just like RE6 characters mentioning Raccoon City every five minutes doesn't make me feel like I'm playing the classics.

Ah, I take it you mean the Wilhelm Scream?

Thanks! I was thinking so hard about the name of that particular scream, but it wouldn't come to my mind.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
LMAO! Calm down Mr. Chronicles series is the equivalent of a mainline entry. Also, first person and on rails are 2 completely different things.
I wasn't trying to attack Turo if that's what you were implying? :O I was just saying that he would have a bet if went with the whole he "guarantees" no one would recognize it. I know that there's no way I'm the only one. Ugh.... if I was wrong I would have made a fool out of myself in front of my friend who knows I'm a pretty hardcore fan xD
No no, I was actually referring to the other thread 'What are you thinking RE edition' where he and I had a pretty lenghty convo about RE 7. And there I provided facts while he was basically saying that "it doesn't feel resident evil, so it's not RE" while ignoring the facts. I kept providing them and he responded that it's too "black and white for me", then near the end he of course named call me "10 yr old" or "capcom fanboy that will accept anything from them" he even accused me of working for Capcom lol. That to me sounds like a bunch of ad hominems.

Just as with the sound effects, many games use similar story premises, and also similar gameplay elements. By your argument in that other thread, you could also call The Evil Within an RE game (which it was clearly inspired by, but it still doesn't say "Resident Evil" on it), or lump DmC together with Bayonetta and American McGee's Alice. What I've seen of RE7 so far reminds me more of Silent Hill than previous REs - and no, I'm not trying to start yet another RE7 vs PT argument, I've only seen one playthrough of PT a long time ago and forgotten about it right afterwards because of how profoundly it bored me. I wasn't even thinking of PT when I saw the RE7 demo, but I wasn't thinking of RE either, that's my point. A few unlucky souls exploring an abandoned creepy mansion isn't enough to make me think of RE, just like RE6 characters mentioning Raccoon City every five minutes doesn't make me feel like I'm playing the classics.
TEW is not RE, I'd consider it RE if they changed the whole storyline and kept the gameplay aspects and ironically there was a review of that game that says "TEW is what RE 5 should have been". On DmC and bayonetta I don't know I never played them. Back to RE 7, I don't believe in this "One drop rule" where one gameplay aspect can entirely alter and alienate a game from its franchise. The FP change sure is radical but you have to consider other gameplay aspects as well which again I already explained on the other thread. The storyline, the gameplay mechanics, the tone, the atmosphere, and the subtlety of the demo/ RE7 trailer translate very well into the feeling that this is legit RE returning to its roots.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
No no, I was actually referring to the other thread 'What are you thinking RE edition' where he and I had a pretty lenghty convo about RE 7. And there I provided facts while he was basically saying that "it doesn't feel resident evil, so it's not RE" while ignoring the facts. I kept providing them and he responded that it's too "black and white for me", then near the end he of course named call me "10 yr old" or "capcom fanboy that will accept anything from them" he even accused me of working for Capcom lol. That to me sounds like a bunch of ad hominems.

First off, don't speak for me. Second, how classy there, Champ. You really still bothered by old beef? If you have a problem with me, PM me. Don't try to derail this thread by picking a fight with me and painting yourself as some sort of genius who I did wrong. I also don't appreciate nor do I think Airaku appreciates the fact that you tried to include him in your little cheap shot at me.

BTW, you have all the facts right? So where's that little fact about you saying that people with a differing opinion on RE7 were ungrateful, toxic, and negative? Oh, that's right, it wouldn't make you look good would it?

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Uh oh, we have a badass here
First off, don't speak for me. Second, how classy there, Champ. You really still bothered by old beef? If you have a problem with me, PM me. Don't try to derail this thread by picking a fight with me and painting yourself as some sort of genius who I did wrong. I also don't appreciate nor do I think Airaku appreciates the fact that you tried to include him in your little cheap shot at me.

BTW, you have all the facts right? So where's that little fact about you saying that people with a differing opinion on RE7 were ungrateful, toxic, and negative? Oh, that's right, it wouldn't make you look good would it?
The hell is your problem, don't get so triggered pal you did name call me first on that thread don't forget and deny that, and now you're suddenly playing victim here and acting tough pfft. And yes there were responds like yours that were negative just look at latest RE video comments.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Uh oh, we have a badass here

The hell is your problem, don't get so triggered pal you did name call me first on that thread don't forget that and now you're suddenly playing victim here and acting tough pfft. And yes there were responds like yours that were negative just look at latest RE video comments.

Blah blah blah. Irrelevant. You got something to say, PM me. Don't piggyback off of other people's comments and tell little sob stories about how I'm a mean jerk just so you won't look like any more of an ass. I'm done with you. I won't derail this thread any further.

The badass has spoken, now let's all enjoy this exclusive leaked footage I found of Resident Evil 7.
Looks like we get to play as the women holding the lantern. Oooh, interesting.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
PM? sure anytime
Blah blah blah. Irrelevant. You got something to say, PM me. Don't piggyback off of other people's comments and tell little sob stories about how I'm a mean jerk just so you won't look like any more of an ass. I'm done with you. I won't derail this thread any further.

The badass has spoken, now let's all enjoy this exclusive leaked footage I found of Resident Evil 7.
Looks like we get to play as the women holding the lantern. Oooh, interesting.
WWE-WWF-the-rock-rolling-eyes-reaction-1394701851l.gif

Hahaha I shared my RE7 thoughts with substance, and you respond with something like this. Keep doing it man, I'm sure you'll be considered seriously in another discussions.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
This is entertaining. People must argue their points obsessively. I have just decided to like what I've seen so far and save my final judgement til after I play RE7. There's really no point in doing anything else, other than saying whether or not the things revealed so far make you want to buy the game. If not, that's cool. Play other games. If so, that's cool too.

We really don't need this forum to turn into the sh*tshow that is American politics.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
The idea isn't the tapes themselves. Just the sound and the way the item popped up. To me.... it just rung a bell, but Turo is right about it not being as iconic as a chest from Zelda but it was only an example. Perhaps one that was too simple and perhaps a little... exaggerative? Maybe, maybe not. :p I'm a little embarrassed to admit this but I RE0 and the RE remake were my first Resident Evil games when I was 13 or 14 and I loved them :) maybe that got burned into my brain lmao! :)
Don't worry, my comment wasn't aimed at you for spotting that, or that it made you think that video was RE7. If that's the vibe you got then that's cool, even though I wouldn't have. It was more the fact that it was used to support someone else's argument where it wasn't really relevant. :)

This is entertaining. People must argue their points obsessively. I have just decided to like what I've seen so far and save my final judgement til after I play RE7. There's really no point in doing anything else, other than saying whether or not the things revealed so far make you want to buy the game. If not, that's cool. Play other games. If so, that's cool too.

We really don't need this forum to turn into the sh*tshow that is American politics.
I get what you're saying, and yes, I too want civilised discussion, just as long as everybody can express their opinion and talk openly about their feelings. I'll still be buying the game, but I just want to be able to express my doubts as much as others express their support. With Resident Evil, it's not a game that if I don't like it, I can just think 'oh well' and walk away, because I've been looking forward to RE7 more than anything and I'm just a little disappointed with what I've seen so far. I've not given final judgement yet and I will play the game before doing so. And please, don't take this as me having a go at you, because it's genuinely not meant like that at all. :)

I still stand by what I've said before. The director of RE7 himself acknowledged that people might not get the RE vibe from the demo and may have concerns, and told us to trust them, but they've shown us more of the same stuff with this footage. I want physical proof of some link to RE before I start to trust them. I don't want everything revealed, but just a small something that makes me feel like it's RE, because for me the story continuity and characters are a big part of RE, and if we're not going to see the characters, I want some proof that it's an RE story. And no, the inclusion of green herbs doesn't cut it.

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/timturi...evelopers-discuss-the-new-evolution-of-horror

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
EDIT:
To keep somewhat on topic to the video titled:

Old lady with the lantern has nothing on this bish...

pt-1280x720_zpsv4qtku1o.png

Sorry I just had to throw that P.T. comparison in there. It's not a bad thing... just amusing.

This video definitely gives off vibes from past games in terms of the environments that are explored. The idea of having harder to kill monsters is also pretty cool. Though, as has been stated before, it still feels like a complete spin-off or reboot since Capcom has completely strayed away from the last few games. Though it looks like a solid game so far, the main reason why I even want to play through it is to see how it correlates with the past major titles of the series.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Its roots are more than just your oddly specific and selective list there. It's also not just limited to survival horror either. What makes Resident Evil stand out above everything else was its story, characters, the whole universe it built, and most importantly, its gameplay and design. No one is saying that it needs fixed cameras or limited saves, though the whole checkpoint system pretty much gives you nothing to fear anymore. Resident Evil has evolved past that very long ago and it's been widely accepted already.

Resident Evil 4 may have deviated from the series' roots for its lack of horror, linear design, and focus on action but it also evolved the franchise. Resident Evil 4 didn't stray because of an over the shoulder camera and the ability to free-aim. That was an evolution, just like Resident Evil 5's improved physics and Revelations' ability to move and shoot yet the tank controls were still very much in tact. It was building upon what was already there like any good series, whereas RE7 is a complete revamp. It's not that hard to grasp. It's cool if people like this new direction, but it can't be denied that it's completely unlike what has come before.

I just don't understand why Capcom has to sacrifice one aspect for another. Revelations 2 was looking like a great direction for the series, unfortunately, Capcom just didn't seem to embrace the horror aspect as much as they seem to now with RE7 since it was still kind of a safe experience with its overabundance of supplies and linear and chopped up design. But from a gameplay and story standpoint, it was absolute gold for the series.

Games like PT and Outlast aren't any better than survival horror games of the past because of modern technology. Resident Evil REmake is still considered a survival horror masterpiece by many and holds up very well today despite being made for weaker hardware. First-person horror isn't anything special nor was it only achievable due to today's capabilities. It isn't the only way to do survival horror games and plenty of people would argue that games like those don't even hold a candle to survival horror games of the past.

As for Resident Evil 2, old games are nothing new to me and I can admit when a game I once loved doesn't hold up anymore and Resident Evil 2 holds up just fine. Being made in the 90s doesn't really hurt the game. A lot of the greatest games were made in the 90s.

There's a such thing as evolving a franchise and maintaining consistency. There have been plenty of examples in the gaming industry. Besides, the Resident Evil franchise isn't new to taking risks. They went the action route, explored online co-op, made the biggest game in the franchise, and went episodic. Yet none of those times did they abandon the core gameplay the series is known for.

I just can't help but feel like Capcom is back to their sh*tty ways with this one. They aren't making this for the fans, they're making this for whoever it'll attract just like Resident Evil 4. That's not to say the game is going to suck, after all, I love Resident Evil 4 but there's always going to be a part of me that remains very disappointed.
You're right. It's undeniable that this game is very different from the other ones, and regardless of whether it ends up being a success or failure, it's not exactly fair to those who expect certain things from RE. Just because I like the changes based on what I've seen so far doesn't mean everyone else is a heathen for not being on board. It's just when people are like "first person I guess I'm done with the series" (or something similar), it bothers me because it sounds more close-minded than anything. We've seen more now and we have a general idea of where they're going (except they still haven't shown combat so wth Capcom?), so it's fair at this point to say that this doesn't look like something you'd be interested in, or even just that this isn't what you were hoping for. The weird thing though is that this is exactly what Capcom said they'd do. They said they would take risks with the main entries and continue to do Rev in the style of Rev2. A lot of people took that to mean the main series was gonna stay actiony but I honestly kind of expected something more like this based on what they said. I don't get why they wouldn't do it the other way around and take risks with the side series when they have less to lose there, but maybe they really believe in what they're doing. And maybe it's a good thing they're doing this, because a lot of people who aren't happy with RE7 are likely gonna be on board with Rev3 whenever that happens, and there's also REmake2 on the horizon, so perhaps by exploring many different avenues at once they'll be able to hone in on what exactly it is that people want. I really am sorry if people are disappointed with RE7, and with the drastic changes they've made you have every right to be. I just hope they know what they're doing.

I'm still really excited for this game, but in a lot of ways it's not really as close to past games as some people are making it sound. Don't get me wrong, during the Sony stream I was like "omg this game is horror what if?" and then the entirety of the trailer I was like trying to talk myself down like "this game doesn't even really look like RE" so I was kinda going back and forth myself but a lot of the stuff at the quick flashes at the end of trailer did kind of give me RE vibes, and then when I saw the VII I knew. But the point is, Resident Evil didn't really jump out of the screen at me. I only saw it cuz I really wanted it to be there, and it's possible the same could've happened to others.

Last edited:

black 93

This game could turn out to be the best thing for the series in years, or it could fall flat and bomb. If that's the case, then id say RE is done. If capcom can't get it right this time and after the failure of RE6 they never will. RE5 was a great game, Revelations 2 was a great game, but everything in between was hit and miss. I can totally understand fans not being on board with this, as at first glance it looks like Capcom are just following the trend with first person horror games like they followed the action boom boom trend with 5 & 6. However, RE7 could be as awesome for the series as RE4 was back in 05. Capcom are doing a massive change to the series again like they did with 4. Im just tired of people in this fanbase who hate everything since REmake, im not reffering to anyone on this forum when i say that, im just saying as a fanbase, the RE one may be the most toxic one iv ever been part of. Capcom really need to come out and quash fans doubts, it's all well and good confirming combat and links to past games, but come on now the game's been announced for two months, it's out in five, stop being so damn vauge.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
The thing is though, we had the whole of the demo as a 'tone setter'. It's time they started giving us some more concrete information about the other aspects of the game. I'm not saying reveal everything to us, but just a few teasers about the enemies and combat and stuff wouldn't go amiss.

To be fair, they DID show us what the mansion in the actual game will be like and who the actual villain will be as well as the actual protagonist's name (Ethan).

It may not seem like much, but such is the product of their marketing strategy: it's a small stepping stone to them showing gameplay mechanics from the actual game so we're blown away when they do show us what the actual game will play like as far as combat, enemies, etc.

BTW, they confirmed it's just footage from another tape.

Last edited:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
^ Yup agree, one at a time

anyway here's capcom's lineup for TGS 2016
  • Monster Hunter Spirits (Arcade) – Playable
  • Monster Hunter Stories (3DS) – Playable, Stage Event, Live Stream – Visit the theater booth to see the opening movie and a special video you won’t see elsewhere.
  • Resident Evil 7: biohazard (PS4, PSVR, XBO, PC) – Playable (PS4, PSVR), Stage Event, Live Stream – The latest demo will make its first debut in Japan.
  • Toraware no Palm (iOS, Android) – Playable, Stage Event
So there will indeed be a new demo.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
To be fair, they DID show us what the mansion in the actual game will be like and who the actual villain will be as well as the actual protagonist's name (Ethan).

Well it's not confirmed and it's only speculated that he or she will be the main villain. With the "she" likely being the main villain.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Well it's not confirmed and it's only speculated that he or she will be the main villain. With the "she" likely being the main villain.

I'd have to believe, of the two villains, the mutated one will most likely end up being the main/end villain.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I'd have to believe, of the two villains, the mutated one will most likely end up being the main/end villain.

LOL Your saying that girl and the guy in the wheel chair are the main villains. Right? But neither of this has been confirmed :/

Top Bottom