• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 RE 7 New Footage "Lantern".

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
This game footage did remind me of a cross between the REmake with Lisa Trevor and Revelations 2 which I do like. Also glad to hear that the final product will have a combat system of some sort rather than just hiding. Hiding can be fun and can make the game seem all the more scarier but those types of games also have a way with losing my interest after some time.

Like others on here, I still feel leery towards this title and that is mostly because I don't like having an all new characters. While that is something I will have to come to terms with, however the distaste is still there and probably makes me come off a bit bias towards what we are being shown so far.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
The thing is though, we had the whole of the demo as a 'tone setter'. It's time they started giving us some more concrete information about the other aspects of the game. I'm not saying reveal everything to us, but just a few teasers about the enemies and combat and stuff wouldn't go amiss.

And Revelations 2 was able to set the tone as well as introduce characters we already knew and didnt know without resorting to first person camera tricks and pointless demos and trailers.
Revelations 2 was one of the very good modern rezzy titles too.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's not like first person is just some gimmick. It's a pre established style of gameplay that's worked for many other titles.

Just because it's worked for other games doesn't mean it should be in every game. That is the same exact philosophy that ruined the franchise to begin with and therein lies the problem for many. This isn't so much a return to the series' roots as it is following the trend. They followed the trend in RE6 and rather than learning from that mistake they just follow a different trend and think it enough because it's horror. We're Resident Evil fans, horror isn't enough. If all we really cared about was horror then we have plenty of other alternatives. There's a reason fans of the classic games have stuck with them this long and they're completely ignoring that.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
And what exactly are its roots? Fixed camera angles, loading screens every time you change elevation, shooting mechanics where as long as you're shooting in their general vicinity you'll get a hit, saving mechanic where every time you die you lose hours of progress that then gets passed off as "creating suspense" when in actuality it just causes frustration? The old games were great for their time, and they hold up well because of it. But no matter how you look at it, they were made in the 90s using technology of the time. There's a reason a lot of horror games in the late 90s looked like RE, and why a lot of horror games today look like PT, Outlast etc. The tech available allows for a scarier, more realistic experience. The way I see it, zombies, horror, weapons, puzzles, and inventory management are the root of RE, and this game is supposed to deliver on those. I'm not gonna praise it before it's released because it could very well be terrible, but I don't think that from what I've seen they're doing anything wrong. I guarantee that knowing nothing about RE, if you played RE2 right now, it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it was when it first came out, or as enjoyable as it is to you now. If you want the games to imitate the originals, then play the originals, but they can't expand upon the series if they don't take risks and try new things. And if they keep making the same games over and over, then people are gonna stop buying them.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
It's not like first person is just some gimmick. It's a pre established style of gameplay that's worked for many other titles.
Yes, and it's actually worked well on RE before too (Chronicles series).

And what exactly are its roots? Fixed camera angles, loading screens every time you change elevation, shooting mechanics where as long as you're shooting in their general vicinity you'll get a hit, saving mechanic where every time you die you lose hours of progress that then gets passed off as "creating suspense" when in actuality it just causes frustration?
Yes, and 240p resolution to achieve the absolute supreme purity of Resident Evil.

/Sarcasm

There's a reason a lot of horror games in the late 90s looked like RE, and why a lot of horror games today look like PT, Outlast etc. The tech available allows for a scarier, more realistic experience.
Agree, not all modern FP horror games are PT clone just like not all open world action games are GTA clone.

The way I see it, zombies, horror, weapons, puzzles, and inventory management are the root of RE, and this game is supposed to deliver on those. I'm not gonna praise it before it's released because it could very well be terrible, but I don't think that from what I've seen they're doing anything wrong.
Yes, so far it's got RE essentials well except the zombies. They stated that the enemy in RE 7 is fewer but each possesses unique and significant threat. I don't think that they totally ruled out of zombies in the game though, we saw briefly in E3 trailer of what looks like a zombie person.

Last edited:

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Interesting. What if this "Ethan" guy we play as is just a normal average detective who is investigating this rural neighborhood and as we play through the game we find tapes. We watch (play) these tapes through the eyes of other characters to unravel the mystery of how everything went down. In other words we play all these little mini segments as other characters like we see in this trailer and in the E3 demo.

This is definitely an interesting idea if this is the case. We'll actually get to feel like a detective and our occupation as the player will feel meaningful.

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Interesting. What if this "Ethan" guy we play as is just a normal average detective who is investigating this rural neighborhood and as we play through the game we find tapes. We watch (play) these tapes through the eyes of other characters to unravel the mystery of how everything went down. In other words we play all these little mini segments as other characters like we see in this trailer and in the E3 demo.

This is definitely an interesting idea if this is the case. We'll actually get to feel like a detective and our occupation as the player will feel meaningful.
And it could potentially lead to different styles of play for different people which if executed well could be really cool, but if executed poorly could just end up being like "when do I get to play as the guy with the gun again". Sadly it kind of looks like it might be more the latter, at least for a lot of people.

Turo602

The King of Kings
And what exactly are its roots? Fixed camera angles, loading screens every time you change elevation, shooting mechanics where as long as you're shooting in their general vicinity you'll get a hit, saving mechanic where every time you die you lose hours of progress that then gets passed off as "creating suspense" when in actuality it just causes frustration? The old games were great for their time, and they hold up well because of it. But no matter how you look at it, they were made in the 90s using technology of the time. There's a reason a lot of horror games in the late 90s looked like RE, and why a lot of horror games today look like PT, Outlast etc. The tech available allows for a scarier, more realistic experience. The way I see it, zombies, horror, weapons, puzzles, and inventory management are the root of RE, and this game is supposed to deliver on those. I'm not gonna praise it before it's released because it could very well be terrible, but I don't think that from what I've seen they're doing anything wrong. I guarantee that knowing nothing about RE, if you played RE2 right now, it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it was when it first came out, or as enjoyable as it is to you now. If you want the games to imitate the originals, then play the originals, but they can't expand upon the series if they don't take risks and try new things. And if they keep making the same games over and over, then people are gonna stop buying them.

Its roots are more than just your oddly specific and selective list there. It's also not just limited to survival horror either. What makes Resident Evil stand out above everything else was its story, characters, the whole universe it built, and most importantly, its gameplay and design. No one is saying that it needs fixed cameras or limited saves, though the whole checkpoint system pretty much gives you nothing to fear anymore. Resident Evil has evolved past that very long ago and it's been widely accepted already.

Resident Evil 4 may have deviated from the series' roots for its lack of horror, linear design, and focus on action but it also evolved the franchise. Resident Evil 4 didn't stray because of an over the shoulder camera and the ability to free-aim. That was an evolution, just like Resident Evil 5's improved physics and Revelations' ability to move and shoot yet the tank controls were still very much in tact. It was building upon what was already there like any good series, whereas RE7 is a complete revamp. It's not that hard to grasp. It's cool if people like this new direction, but it can't be denied that it's completely unlike what has come before.

I just don't understand why Capcom has to sacrifice one aspect for another. Revelations 2 was looking like a great direction for the series, unfortunately, Capcom just didn't seem to embrace the horror aspect as much as they seem to now with RE7 since it was still kind of a safe experience with its overabundance of supplies and linear and chopped up design. But from a gameplay and story standpoint, it was absolute gold for the series.

Games like PT and Outlast aren't any better than survival horror games of the past because of modern technology. Resident Evil REmake is still considered a survival horror masterpiece by many and holds up very well today despite being made for weaker hardware. First-person horror isn't anything special nor was it only achievable due to today's capabilities. It isn't the only way to do survival horror games and plenty of people would argue that games like those don't even hold a candle to survival horror games of the past.

As for Resident Evil 2, old games are nothing new to me and I can admit when a game I once loved doesn't hold up anymore and Resident Evil 2 holds up just fine. Being made in the 90s doesn't really hurt the game. A lot of the greatest games were made in the 90s.

There's a such thing as evolving a franchise and maintaining consistency. There have been plenty of examples in the gaming industry. Besides, the Resident Evil franchise isn't new to taking risks. They went the action route, explored online co-op, made the biggest game in the franchise, and went episodic. Yet none of those times did they abandon the core gameplay the series is known for.

I just can't help but feel like Capcom is back to their sh*tty ways with this one. They aren't making this for the fans, they're making this for whoever it'll attract just like Resident Evil 4. That's not to say the game is going to suck, after all, I love Resident Evil 4 but there's always going to be a part of me that remains very disappointed.

Loki

The Trickster
Premium
I'm not saying this is going to be a bad game. It could be the best game ever... Probably not, but even if it was, from what I can see so far it's not Resident Evil.

When people said 'go back to it's roots' they didn't mean this, as Hel said this game has gone so far past it's roots it may as well be a completely different game series. If this was announced at E3 as a different game series would people have said 'oh... I thought it was going to be RE'? I don't think so. And still, even after this trailer, we've seen nothing to show that it is in fact RE.

It's not just the fact that it's first person btw, although I could do without it, It's everything we've seen so far. Resident Evil is not just Resident Evil because it is set in a residence that is evil. That might sum up the first game, but none of the others. The fact that we don't have any characters we know about annoys me as well. I'm fine with them bringing new characters into the series, but if you're completely going to ignore everything from before you might as well reboot the series or at least make it a spin off, not call it RE7.

Resident Evil has been a series known for its innovations. This game is not one, and yet some people are pretending like it is. RE should be setting the trends not following them.

Turo602

The King of Kings
When people said 'go back to it's roots' they didn't mean this, as Hel said this game has gone so far past it's roots it may as well be a completely different game series. If this was announced at E3 as a different game series would people have said 'oh... I thought it was going to be RE'? I don't think so. And still, even after this trailer, we've seen nothing to show that it is in fact RE.

That's a great point. I like how some people are acting like there's nothing strange about RE7 and how it's just like the previous games because this and that yet I can guarantee that anyone who saw the conference at E3 did not suspect the game to be RE7 up until they revealed the title at the end of the trailer. What a stark contrast from the reveal trailer of RE6 where you can tell exactly what series it is based on the opening shot alone.

Honestly, it's cool if people are okay with this change, I just don't understand the need some people have to get defensive about it when others say they don't like it because it looks different by pretending it's not.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I can guarantee that anyone who saw the conference at E3 did not suspect the game to be RE7 up until they revealed the title at the end of the trailer.

Wrong. I called out it was RE7 before the reveal. My friend is my witness who was watching it with me. I kept saying OMG IT'S RESIDENT EVIL 7! And then I'd flip flop and say no it's not.... yes it is xD

If the rumors and the Project Kitchen part wasn't enough. The part that sealed the deal for me that made me say that it was Resident Evil was the part in the trailer where the tape was picked up. That was done in a traditional Resident Evil manner and the sound effect of picking up the item was the same. As was the way it popped up on the screen. At that point I literally said that the game had to be Resident Evil 7. I was pretty dead on convinced. That was a really iconic moment that was just presented in a new manner.

I honestly remain in shock that people did not recognize that. It's like playing an unrecognizable Zelda game and you opened a chest and hear the iconic chime. At point it should be a dead give away. Here's the part in the Sony E3 reveal that gave it away. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that was not a classic iconic moment and that people missed that. Then again this was one of my most hyped games and was nit picking everything new to see if it could be our beloved series :3

Look at the 2:41 time mark.

Here's an evolution of the pick up sounds. The similarities start come around the Game Cube area with RE0 and the remake. A little bit like RE5 as well. Start about 35 seconds in.

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
Wrong. I called out it was RE7 before the reveal. My friend is my witness who was watching it with me. I kept saying OMG IT'S RESIDENT EVIL 7! And then I'd flip flop and say no it's not.... yes it is xD

If the rumors and the Project Kitchen part wasn't enough. The part that sealed the deal for me that made me say that it was Resident Evil was the part in the trailer where the tape was picked up. That was done in a traditional Resident Evil manner and the sound effect of picking up the item was the same. As was the way it popped up on the screen. At that point I literally said that the game had to be Resident Evil 7. I was pretty dead on convinced. That was a really iconic moment that was just presented in a new manner.

I honestly remain in shock that people did not recognize that. It's like playing an unrecognizable Zelda game and you opened a chest and hear the iconic chime. At point it should be a dead give away. Here's the part in the Sony E3 reveal that gave it away. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that was not a classic iconic moment and that people missed that. Then again this was one of my most hyped games and was nit picking everything new to see if it could be our beloved series :3

Look at the 2:41 time mark.

Here's an evolution of the pick up sounds. The similarities start come around the Game Cube area with RE0 and the remake. A little bit like RE5 as well. Start about 35 seconds in.

Nice find, we give our thoughts heavily backed by facts while they can only provide ad hominems.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Not to mention that generic crunch sound is nowhere near as iconic or memorable as Zelda's treasure chest tune.

Nice find, we give our thoughts heavily backed by facts while they can only provide ad hominems.

LMAO! Calm down Mr. Chronicles series is the equivalent of a mainline entry. Also, first person and on rails are 2 completely different things.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
you do know that ALOT of games re-use sound effects and borrow from multiple games right?

Isn't there even a gallery of stock sound effects somewhere anyway? For example, the one RE uses every time an elevator is activated, or power is restored. I've heard that one in a thousand games already.

So it's "us" and "them" now, huh? Go ahead. I'm still waiting for the immensely popular "If you were a real RE fan, you would yada yada yada" argument. But only if you can provide heavily backed facts, of course, rather than ad hominems.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Heavily backed by facts? Yes there have been video tapes and associated noises, but when I think of Resident Evil I don't think, 'wow, I hope there's video tapes!!' I get that there's a link there but I wouldn't have guessed based on the video tape that the trailer was showing RE7.

Last edited:
Top Bottom