• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) jill

Jill Valentine S.T.A.R.S

La Femme Fatale;37479 said:
You're absolutely right darlin', change does not occur overnight.

With that said, however; I'd hardly consider the six-year lapse between RE 2 and RE 4 to have occured 'overnight'. In this case, it is important to preach context. Leon was a rookie cop who went through hell and back in RE 2 which took place in 1998. In the next six or seven years, he trained in the Secret Service. Personally, I wouldn't expect him to be the same naive, rookie officer in RE 4. He's been hardened as an individual- not only through his training but from his experience in Raccoon City, and I believe it's an entirely valid development in his character. Extreme circumstances change people, I don't care who you are. Couple that with six-years, and there's no reason he should be the same individual we saw in RE 2.

Jill's personality consistancy- while obviously admirable to some, I don't particularly buy it, and that's probably why I've never taken to her as a character. She has probably been through alot worse than Leon, but there's not much development in her character on account of that. I don't find there is a whole lot of change between her character from the original and from RE 5, and I question the plausability of that.

So, in conclusion, whilst change certainly does not occur overnight, the producers of RE have certainly thrown a handful at all of the characters, and extreme circumstances in itself is enough to 'change' anyone. Yes, I understand that everyone handles things differently, but it's the characters who stay the exact same throughout the whole series that worry me, not the ones who change.

The point of annoyance for me with Leon was the annoying fact that we never actually got to see this step of change in his personality, which imho would have done total wonders for his character as a whole...

With Chris as well as Jill, you will notice neither character has changed much, if at all apart from Chris become a bit more darker and broodier because of him obviously still showing signs of grief at losing Jill in the Spencer estate, I put that down to them always being "Veterans" right from the bat.

The only change Jill has really undergone is she became less naive and doesnt trust people as easily (because of the mansion incident with Barry and Wesker) as shown with Carlos and the other UBCS

But in closing, I really hope that Darkside Chronicles does show the Evolution from Rookie to Vet for Leon, it would only boost him to greater things in my eyes.

Jon

iHadeSsS;37494 said:
before i read down and saw your post i was going to put basically the same thing,
i think we could tell so much more from the characters, well 1-3 based, but if they had good voice acting, it is really bad, even in REmake..
"jill, thats blood.....................................(long pause).................(awkard silence).............................do you think its chris's"

i know that not the exact line, but i can't remember so it was a guess :p

Haha, for me it's gotta be when Wesker says "Jill, No!" or more like "Jillno." at the beginning of the game. It's just awful, maybe they believe it to be part of the Series' charm.

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
did anyone notice in RE3, when you had the shotgun, jill had a super pointy sharp elbow, the way she held it...
dunno why i just brought that up..:S

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Jill Valentine S.T.A.R.S;37495 said:
The point of annoyance for me with Leon was the annoying fact that we never actually got to see this step of change in his personality, which imho would have done total wonders for his character as a whole...

But in closing, I really hope that Darkside Chronicles does show the Evolution from Rookie to Vet for Leon, it would only boost him to greater things in my eyes.

I don't know... correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he dealt much with zombies or any other monsters (well, apart from politicians) between RE 2 and RE 4, so I'm not sure a game that emphasizes his evolution from rookie to vet is really necessary. I dunno, it's not much of a stretch for me to imagine it, is all. :)

And yeah, iHadeSsS, I noticed that too. It was really weird looking, heh.

bruno

Chief Researcher
Read the blog in the TDC official page:

http://www.capcom-fc.com/re_dc/2009/05/reimagining_leo_1.htmlhttp://<a href="http://www.capcom-f.../05/reimagining_leo_1.html</a></p><p> </p><p>

The last entry is Reimagining Leon.

The first big question we had to deal with in moving from drafts to the final scenario was how to portray Leon in this game. Since appearing in Resident Evil 2, Leon has starred in both Resident Evil 4 and the Degeneration film. Resident Evil 2 came out over 10 years ago so we wanted to re-envision Leon’s first adventure taking current expectations into account rather than just copying Resident Evil 2 verbatim.

He’s not as simple as Chris or Jill, definitely a tough nut to crack.

Leon was nothing but a rookie police officer when he was caught up in the Raccoon City incident. When did he change so drastically? What do you think Leon’s real purpose and motivations are? Money? Love? Duty? Honor? Perhaps revenge?

Top Bottom