• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

If You Could Change One Thing In Today's World...

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
I took a look at, and replied on the "How Do You Feel" and "What Are You Thinking?" threads, and thought i'd make a new thread based on my replies, because they both contained a bit of grief over religion and politics.

So, in this world and era, today, right now, what would you change? Education? Politics? Music? TV? Media? Give us just one thing that you would change, and it doesn't have to be the things I just listed, and your reasons why.

I'll start off with my two that I mentioned in my replies to the other threads.

Religion - in my opinion, Religion has had a couple of millennia to have it's chance to do whatever it intended to do (spread it's opinion on the origins of the Universe and afterlife I suppose), and it has failed miserably, instead turning into a sort of cultish set of groups all aimed at converting people that either don't want to be converted, or just aren't sure about, or don't care about the origins of the world or the meaning of life.

I know that the usual arguments against religion is that it causes wars and is very violent (ironic, "love thy neighbour" anyone? Lol), however I try and keep it modern rather than referring to the witch-hunts and crusades. Religion separates people, it influences education, public life and worst of all, it influences Government, therefore setting the rules for every person in a particular country. Even in the western world, religion dominates government and policies.

Religion causes discrimination, and it held back human advancement for thousands of years. Imagine if scientists from years and years ago were allowed to freely experiment and showcase their work?

Even today religion tries it's hardest to discourage science, yet the evidence is there: Millennia of religion equals primitive people. Science came along, and in just 300 years we have space travel, have infrared photographs of the beginnings of the universe, and probably best of all, Irn Bru :p

You could argue that religion "brings people together, like a community" however, it only brings people together that have the same beliefs, and gives them more people on their side to give them influence in every aspect of other people's lives.

Politics - Politicians are generally boarding/private school rich kids, or people who are born into a fair bit of money and want to have their influence exerted in their particular country. Or ex-bankers, and that is the absolute limit lol.

Corporatism and lobbying are huge influencers of laws and policies all over the world, often raping people of their money, such as banks tempting you into a life of debt, and ravaging third world countries for their own profits.

Being a politician also means you get a big paycheck. This in itself, is a magnet for the corrupt, sociopaths and psychopaths. These particular two mental disorders have such symptoms as doing everything that will get YOU ahead, without showing any emotion or compassion for those that you harm along the way.

In my opinion, Government should only be there for one thing, to make laws that prohibit any physical harm against it's citizens, and laws that prevent coercion and financial loss of the country and it's citizens. They have that rule, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" ... Well i dunno about you, but I don't know where to find every single law for my country, and if i did, it is literally impossible to remember every single law, the human short term and long term memory complications make it impossible. So basically, thanks to modern rich politicians, if we break a miniscule law, such as, i dunno, a piece of paper falling out of your pocket without even realising, therefore "littering in public" laws, then you are to be charged, or if you break a law that you had no idea about, you are to be charged. It should be criminal to have the "ignorance of the law" clause.

I reckon politics and Government should be a totally voluntary position, or minimum wage at least, this would be a deterrent for corrupt people, and any laws to be proposed would have to be decided in public with a "yay or nay" situation, like when deciding the presidential runners for each party in America.

As for religion, if you want to worship something, then at least do the smart thing, investigate the probability of there being a God or Gods, before just blindly becoming a stereotypical religious person because you were brought up that way. Anything religious should be taken out of education, everything except religious education, because it's important to know the details of different religions before judging them. The only laws regarding religion that I would keep would be prohibiting anything religious in public, such as message boards, preaching in public, worshipping in public etc. and the same goes for non-believers, I would never prohibit one group without prohibiting the opposed group as well, any debate or argument, or worship, should be private, such as in your home or church.

Sorry for the huge post, and I know I said pick one thing to change while I picked two, but the ONE thing isn't a strict thing, if you have more than one thing and the two are related or intertwined in some way, feel free to mention more than one.

Have fun guys :)

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
Make abortion illeagill!

I'm pro-choice, I never understood why people think they can have the audacity to tell someone else what to do with their own body. No individual should have control over another's body, and I feel the same for suicide, and assisted suicide.

Again, and i'm sure A_Wesker123 would agree, anti-abortion is a typically religious issue, barging in upon other people's rights. If it's not your baby, you shouldn't ever have a say in what to do with that foetus.

LordGolbez

I am in-between on this. I think it should be legal but I think that if you don't want your child adoption should be the first option because their are so many people that want children and can't have one. It's not a religious issue for me so that angle doesn't really bother me or had any bearing or my view. I say adoption should be the first option because it's untelling what that person could become if given the proper environment but at the same time I personally have no right to decide what you do with your life or your body.

TYLERDM94

The White Wolf
I am in-between on this. I think it should be legal but I think that if you don't want your child adoption should be the first option because their are so many people that want children and can't have one. It's not a religious issue for me so that angle doesn't really bother me or had any bearing or my view. I say adoption should be the first option because it's untelling what that person could become if given the proper environment but at the same time I personally have no right to decide what you do with your life or your body.
i agree 100% with what you just said
abortion should be the last choice

Reactions: svp

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
i agree 100% with what you just said
abortion should be the last choice

Yeah, adoption would be a great choice for the mother to make, however that still would be forcing someone to go through the entire pregnancy against their wishes.

Adoption is already a choice, so nothing would be any different, but there should never be a law forcing someone to go through the full pregnancy. If there was a law against abortion, then the women would just go elsewhere, to a person without the proper skills to do it, a black-market abortion if you will. Or they would go down the route a lot of people do, and force a miscarriage through alcohol, drug use, or extreme options (such as a friend of mine decided to do) and bash their stomach against something.

LordGolbez

Yeah, adoption would be a great choice for the mother to make, however that still would be forcing someone to go through the entire pregnancy against their wishes.

Adoption is already a choice, so nothing would be any different, but there should never be a law forcing someone to go through the full pregnancy. If there was a law against abortion, then the women would just go elsewhere, to a person without the proper skills to do it, a black-market abortion if you will. Or they would go down the route a lot of people do, and force a miscarriage through alcohol, drug use, or extreme options (such as a friend of mine decided to do) and bash their stomach against something.
I agree that it should be done In a safe environment if you are going to do it. I don't think there should be a law either because as you said it's forcing someone to do something against their will but that is the way I feel about it. I understand your point of view but their are also tons of options to prevent one from having a child and if you are doing stuff like that you should think about the conquences f your actions.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
I agree that it should be done In a safe environment if you are going to do it. I don't think there should be a law either because as you said it's forcing someone to do something against their will but that is the way I feel about it. I understand your point of view but their are also tons of options to prevent one from having a child and if you are doing stuff like that you should think about the conquences f your actions.

Definitely, contraception is useful ;)

That's also a problem, a lot of accidental pregnancies are caused by a lack of contraception, and more education and money should be spent on providing contraception.

There's always a however ... The Catholic Church, and a few other religious denominations do not allow their followers to use contraception, and also influence a lot of propaganda that demonises such methods, which means there are already 1 BILLION people that are told they are not allowed contraception.

Like i've said in a few threads, as soon as religion is taken out of politics, education and public life, this world will be much better off.

Mr Sunshine

Maybe I'd make my nose a little larger. Other than that I'm pretty fine.

I heard you Angel. My nose tends to be the Apple of Discrod.. For both men and women.

LordGolbez

Yes I agree that contraception isn't perfect and it's a shame that among some groups it has such a stigma. Abstinence has been painfully proven it doesn't work. If kids are horny that's what they are going to do despite what anyone says.

I don't understand why religious groups prevent contraception anyway, I mean if lack of population was a problem i Could understand but clearly it's not. I think there are worse things in the world to be worried about other than the so-called sins assoicated with taking the pill.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
If I could change one thing about the world it would be to make chocolate good for you. Yes.

Hehehe, that would also be great :D

Although, i'm pretty sure chocolate is good for you, just not milk chocolate or the kinds that are filled with sugar (in other words, most chocolate :p).

A_Wesker123

The Original
I'm pro-choice, I never understood why people think they can have the audacity to tell someone else what to do with their own body. No individual should have control over another's body, and I feel the same for suicide, and assisted suicide.

Again, and i'm sure A_Wesker123 would agree, anti-abortion is a typically religious issue, barging in upon other people's rights. If it's not your baby, you shouldn't ever have a say in what to do with that foetus.

You're exactly right in thinking I'd agree. I'm just glad I live in a country where religion doesn't have as much power over issues like abortion as it seems to in America.

Domasio

Leon Sandwich ^_^
You're exactly right in thinking I'd agree. I'm just glad I live in a country where religion doesn't have as much power over issues like abortion as it seems to in America.

Where are you from?

I know, 90% of an entire country, including most Presidential candidates. Well, i'm sure people smart enough to manipulate people into thinking that they are good for their country probably don't fall for the otherworldly stories, but just say they are religious to get more votes.

Then again, Mitt Romney? Now there's a nutball o_O

A_Wesker123

The Original
Where are you from?

I know, 90% of an entire country, including most Presidential candidates. Well, i'm sure people smart enough to manipulate people into thinking that they are good for their country probably don't fall for the otherworldly stories, but just say they are religious to get more votes.

Then again, Mitt Romney? Now there's a nutball :confused:

I'm in the UK. We have around a 23% Atheist population, and even the 70% of the population that are 'Christian' seem to be generally apathetic in their practice and devotion compared to those in other countries. Though we do have 26 bishops in our House of Lords, thankfully, they're an incrediibly small minority within the government and are mostly just token positions. While it's certainly a good thing for religous groups to get representation, I'd just rather they didn't have a significant effect in legislating for the entirety of the UK based solely on religion.

Top Bottom