• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 If RE new game came out who will be a main character?

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
I agree with the others: Chris needs a breather. I'm not a Chris hater by any stretch, hell, I actually like Chris, but it's clear as day he's been hogging the spotlight. It's time to give somebody else a chance. Like I said, Jill has been absent for 3 whole games now, she's been out of action for plenty long enough especially after being involved in such a huge storyline. To turn her against her fellow BSAA allies and threaten the world with a global mutagen that she helped create while under Wesker's control, only to sweep that completely under the rug is pure laziness, to say the least.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to create a compelling spin-off game storyline for Jill and a potential secondary character given all the recent plot developments in the Resiverse. From Jill's Rev2 e-mail to Natalex's Rev2 cliffhanger to the Wesker possibly being alive per RE:UC to the emergence of the Umbrella Corps themselves to Ada's secret job at the end of RE6 to the hanging thread surrounding Jessica and Raymond after Rev1 (the FBC was in cahoots with Alex all along, just sayin'). Just think of all the raw tensions you could have with not only Jill and Natalex (who no doubt's been keeping tabs on Jill in having an e-mail file of hers "conveniently" lying around), but her and Jessica/Raymond after the first Revelations. There's so much readily-available material to work with for a CV-esque spin-off game featuring her and it only makes sense to address each of these things at some point.

I wrote my very own Resi spin-off game outline piecing all of this and more together. Really take the time to read it. I think I've penned down the perfect outline for a Jill-Claire spin-off game (which is long overdue BTW) tying all of these arcs together and expanding old ones (Ada's secret mission is also addressed here, yes, she's in it, too for yet more fan service), it has the perfect blend of horror and story progression, even painting Jill as a vulnerable character in convincing fashion.

I know Capcom would never come up with anything this creative in the real, but one can only dream, that's why I wrote it. You're welcome.

Last edited:

arrman6

Even if they add Jill back in RE new game Chris will be in it too.For example the ending of RE7 BH,Capcom freaking left us behind with Chris being in Neo-Umbrella.It means they are going to throw a flashback at how Chris joined Neo-Umbrella.Cause even if they add old characters like Jill,Barry,Wesker or many other characters Chris is still gonna be there.That's the problem why Chris is unreplaceable.Capcom ruined the day.You guys know what will happen if they keep remastering the characters.People will start arguing.Just like DMC(Dante new look).

Last edited:

black 93

Ethan could have been so much better, Capcom put literally no effort into his character and thats a shame because with the dialouge he did have he seemed like he could be a cool character. The fact that we didn't see his face in the game really did affect our ability to become invested in him, i don't see how anyone could argue with that. After RE7 im sure what i want and what i'll get concerning story and characters are totally different things, but ideally id want Jill. But i wont be at all surprised if we dont hear from Jill again and get another faceless newbie in RE8 because the 'horror' is all that matters nowadays right? Then again i have no real expectations from Capcom anymore, they seem incapable of creating a focused narrative since RE5 so who knows? RE8 may carry on from 7, then all of a sudden RE9 might actually do what 7 was supposed to do and lead on from Revelations 2. Capcom really have a dangerous mindset right now, they just seem to be all about the ' horror' and in doing so they are letting everything else we love about RE suffer.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The problem with Ethan is that they pushed this whole "Average Joe" thing a little too far, making him the blandest and most boring protagonist imaginable in the process. His name and the fact that he's married to Mia are literally the only things we learn about him throughout the entire game, and those were already revealed beforehand. We know absolutely nothing about his personality, his current life situation, his past, where he's from, what his job is, his age, or even what his whole face looks like without some kind of view obstruction.

I realise that this might have been done on purpose with the intention of allowing players to project themselves onto him, but he's not even that relatable because he barely responds to the scariness surrounding him. His reactions to certain situations, like finding his missing wife after three years or fighting her when she suddenly goes insane, are lacking to say the least, which kind of defeats the purpose of putting you in the shoes of someone who is entirely new to this kind of horror. I thought I was going to like him at first, but now I can't even say whether or not I do, there's just too little about him to make him likeable or unlikeable, and also too little to catch my attention and make me want him back.

Unknown

I'd say Chris seems rather unlikely. He was a playable main character in Revelations 1, RE5 and 6, a minor character in 7, a playable extra in Revelations 2, a costume in Umbrella Corps, and now he will be appearing in Vendetta as well (not a game, but still). If Capcom still stick to their tradition of letting their long-running protagonists take turns (despite everything else they've changed), putting Chris in 8 as well would be overkill, especially when there's other characters like Jill out there that we haven't heard from in ages.

What "tradition"? There isn't any such thing. And going by recent times i'd say Chris seems the most likely, wouldn't you?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Yes, there is. All four main characters of the series (or five, if you count Ada too) have been introduced in the first two RE games, and have been taking turns appearing in the series ever since. Before RE7, the only numbered title not starring at least one of those four in the lead role was Zero, a prequel, and the only numbered title to break with this tradition by starring the same character as in the game before was RE6 with Chris. If you don't want to call it a tradition, call it whatever you want, but it's still there, and going by that, it would be odd for Chris to appear yet again in the next title. But of course, with RE7 throwing everything out of the window anyway, anything is possible.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I always thought that Leon has been hogging the spotlight in recent years, more than Chris to be honest. I would like Hunk to actually be involved.

Unknown

Yes, there is. All four main characters of the series (or five, if you count Ada too) have been introduced in the first two RE games, and have been taking turns appearing in the series ever since. Before RE7, the only numbered title not starring at least one of those four in the lead role was Zero, a prequel, and the only numbered title to break with this tradition by starring the same character as in the game before was RE6 with Chris. If you don't want to call it a tradition, call it whatever you want, but it's still there, and going by that, it would be odd for Chris to appear yet again in the next title. But of course, with RE7 throwing everything out of the window anyway, anything is possible.

I'm not seeing any tradition with that. They are the main four protagonists, it's hardly a tradition to have them be in the games, is it? Why are you only referring to the numbered titles? Your argument collapses then because that means after 3, with Jill, you have 4, with Leon when it should've been Chris in 4 if this so-called tradition were in place. Also if they were truly "taking turns" then Chris should've skipped 5.

We have to include the REV games because they're mainline too, the first of which starred Chris and Jill right after they were both in 5.

All this is ignoring the fact that during early development some games starred other characters. RE3 originally starred HUNK, CVX originally featured Jill etc.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
I'm wary of Jill returning, not because I don't want her to, but because I'm almost certain Capcom will either downplay her trauma or ignore it altogether. Unless people would be fine with just seeing her in her usual role, I'm guessing her re-entry is going to disappoint a lot of people. Capcom could prove me wrong, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

As for who I think would be main characters (assuming they learned from the stunt they pulled with 7), probably generic soldier Jill, maybe Jake if they haven't given up on whatever his deal was supposed to be (which would inevitably mean Sherry tagging along as well). It wouldn't really surprise me if they do bring Chris back and end up committing to him being the alpha protagonist, though I'd prefer the ensemble thing they've got going. Claire will be forgotten for another 5+ years until the next time she gets wrong place, wrong timed and/or kidnapped, so I don't see her being in it. Leon may or may not be too busy with his hair to get involved, and he and Ada are a package deal, so those two are both questionable. They'll definitely pull in some new likable yet utterly forgettable side characters to be dispensed with as soon as the credits roll, and most definitely not feature any of the supporting characters from their old games.

As for my personal thoughts on whether Ethan would be a good fit, it would depend on the story I guess. If they really want to make him an everyman, they should keep him as far away from the fighting as possible, because a normal person ain't about that life. Though as Hel pointed out, they kind of already ****tered that image with the way 7 unfolded. Regarding his lack of personality, he has the unique advantage of having had so little development as a character that he could potentially develop a personality in the future, whereas the entire rest of the cast is already well established to have the personality of a stale piece of bread. When you really think about it, Ethan's actually winning the personality race.

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm not seeing any tradition with that. They are the main four protagonists, it's hardly a tradition to have them be in the games, is it? Why are you only referring to the numbered titles? Your argument collapses then because that means after 3, with Jill, you have 4, with Leon when it should've been Chris in 4 if this so-called tradition were in place. Also if they were truly "taking turns" then Chris should've skipped 5.

Well... It feels redundant to say this, but of course having main characters in itself is not the tradition. The tradition in this case is to let each of them have the spotlight for a while and then pass it on to someone else. That's what I meant by "taking turns", not that characters have to return in the exact same order they were introduced, otherwise the argument would have collapsed with RE3 already, for not featuring Chris alongside Jill. It is notable, however, that all games before RE6 with an odd number feature S.T.A.R.S. members whereas the ones with an even number feature Leon's circle, with RE6 bringing them together for the first time.

We have to include the REV games because they're mainline too, the first of which starred Chris and Jill right after they were both in 5.

I didn't include them because they're a series of side stories filling in the gaps between the numbered games. That doesn't mean they're not canon or not part of the mainline, but they do come with their own set of rules such as the episodic format, and even their own title (Revelations). Yet even they stay true to the taking turns tradition, with the first one featuring Jill and Chris, the second featuring Claire and Barry, and if there's a Revelations 3, it might very well be Jill again, or someone completely different.

As I said earlier: If you feel this doesn't meet the criteria for being called a tradition, then don't call it that, that's fine. I'm calling it that because a tradition is by definition a custom with a history, and whether it was on purpose or not, Capcom has been doing this with RE for the longest time of the game's existence, unlike other games like Tomb Raider, which always feature the same protagonist.

All this is ignoring the fact that during early development some games starred other characters. RE3 originally starred HUNK, CVX originally featured Jill etc.

Scrapped ideas were scrapped for a reason and therefore don't count, otherwise you would have to consider Devil May Cry too because it was originally going to be RE4.

Claire will be forgotten for another 5+ years until the next time she gets wrong place, wrong timed and/or kidnapped, so I don't see her being in it. Leon may or may not be too busy with his hair to get involved, and he and Ada are a package deal, so those two are both questionable. They'll definitely pull in some new likable yet utterly forgettable side characters to be dispensed with as soon as the credits roll, and most definitely not feature any of the supporting characters from their old games.

Ha ha! No one ever said it better. :lol:

Unknown

Oh, it's definitely not on purpose, if it was there'd be more consistency. Scrapped ideas and changes prove that this apparent tradition is unintended (CVX is the sequel to RE2, remember, RE3 was only given a number very late in the day and having Claire in CVX screws the tradition).

REV2 should've featured Leon and Claire also in order for your argument to work. The CG movies also don't help your case.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I already said Revelations goes by different rules, I also explained what I mean by "taking turns" and that it doesn't always have to work the same way, and CGI movies are not games, so my argument works fine, you just keep (deliberately?) misunderstanding what that argument is. But I'm tired of explaining something so trivial, and we're not in court here, so let's just agree to disagree.

Unknown

But you said even the REV series follows the tradition because Jill and Chris are in the first?? Well if it did REV2 would have Leon and Claire no? Brushing off the CG movies because they screw your arguement would definitely lose you your case if we actually were in court, haha.

Seems to me that you're just seeing patterns that aren't there. But yeah, ATD.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
@Hel That's a new one for me. I know a lot of fans who like Jill and Leon but consider Chris to be boring and generic. I'm rather indifferent towards him but used to like him in the past prior to 6. The point is, bStar said isn't forgotten because of that E-Mail in Rev2 yet many fans don't think that way. Hell, there are even rumors of Crapcom hating her but who knows what they are thinking anyway? I mean if they wanted to they could've killed Jill so it would saved them from trouble with her raging fandom. We would have at least some form of closure for her rather than being stuck in the dark

Now back to topic : One thing that I fear is that Crapcom will more likely downplay Jill's traumatic experience from 5 and pretend it never happened in the first place :mad: (Like 6 pretended how RE5 was only about killing Wesker lol retcon/plot hole, pretty much?) That would literally take away any possible form of character development and we'd be stuck with one-sided action girl Jill... AGAIN! I mean Rev2 made a better job characterizing Jill then Rev1 lol Too bad they never went with their original plan and how Rev1 was supposed to tie into Jill's past but disappointment from Crapcom isn't anything new.

I hope she will appear in either RE7 DLC or Rev3 but wouldn't be surprised about her being forgotten again *sighs*

But I'm sure if Jill appears, Chris will be there too or at least mention him, as this had been always the case. Remember RE3's epilogues and Jill's diary?

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
But you said even the REV series follows the tradition because Jill and Chris are in the first?? Well if it did REV2 would have Leon and Claire no? Brushing off the CG movies because they screw your arguement would definitely lose you your case if we actually were in court, haha.

Seems to me that you're just seeing patterns that aren't there. But yeah, ATD.
Were you not reading what she said? Characters take turns, that doesn't mean that because they were originally in the same game together that they have to be in another game together for it to work.

Unknown

Were you not reading what she said? Characters take turns, that doesn't mean that because they were originally in the same game together that they have to be in another game together for it to work.

Yes I read what she said, but did you read what I said? It's not a tradition and the characters are certainly not taking turns either considering that Chris and Jill starred in 5, then REV1 when it should not have been their "turn". Claire should've been in REV1 since she missed out on 4 and 5, meaning Leon should've been in REV 2 after missing 5 and REV1.

If there were a set tradition of characters taking turns, the above would be the case. This is completely overlooking the fact that Capcom confirmed that Claire and Barry returned purely due to fan demand anyway. Picking and choosing what fits one's own criteria for tradition doesn't make it as such.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Sure if you want to throw the REvelations side series into the mix, then clearly there is no rhyme or reason in who Capcom decides should play the lead in the next game. At one point and time, however, there was somewhat of a pattern in the numbered titles as Jill and Chris always managed to star in odd numbered games while Leon and Ada seemed to get the even numbered games. That all said, I'm happy Capcom strayed away completely from this "pattern" as it doesn't exactly promote story growth when you have characters who should be crossing paths- seeing as they're all fighting for the same cause.

Also I'm not a fan of this whole "[Insert character name here] was featured in the last game so I don't want them in the next game" crap. If its a good story then I want to see how it plays out, regardless of whether or not they were featured in the last game or three. When Capcom goes off and makes a main number title game with all newbie characters (who more than likely wont be featured in another RE game ever again), however, it only prolongs any story development for any of the past characters- Jill included. Capcom does need to start focusing a bit more on other characters (Jill, the Burtons, and Jake) and bringing this series into one coherent story.

@Hel That's a new one for me. I know a lot of fans who like Jill and Leon but consider Chris to be boring and generic. I'm rather indifferent towards him but used to like him in the past prior to 6. The point is, bStar said isn't forgotten because of that E-Mail in Rev2 yet many fans don't think that way. Hell, there are even rumors of Crapcom hating her but who knows what they are thinking anyway? I mean if they wanted to they could've killed Jill so it would saved them from trouble with her raging fandom. We would have at least some form of closure for her rather than being stuck in the dark

Now back to topic : One thing that I fear is that Crapcom will more likely downplay Jill's traumatic experience from 5 and pretend it never happened in the first place :mad: (Like 6 pretended how RE5 was only about killing Wesker lol retcon/plot hole, pretty much?) That would literally take away any possible form of character development and we'd be stuck with one-sided action girl Jill... AGAIN! I mean Rev2 made a better job characterizing Jill then Rev1 lol Too bad they never went with their original plan and how Rev1 was supposed to tie into Jill's past but disappointment from Crapcom isn't anything new.

I hope she will appear in either RE7 DLC or Rev3 but wouldn't be surprised about her being forgotten again *sighs*

But I'm sure if Jill appears, Chris will be there too or at least mention him, as this had been always the case. Remember RE3's epilogues and Jill's diary?

Rumors you say? Then it must be true!

giphy2_zpscz3cos1p.gif

Regardless of whether or not Capcom likes her (and I'm still not entirely convinced that they don't like her), the fact that Capcom went and made a game like Revelations 2, where they delivered quite a bit of fan service (making Alex Wesker female, bringing back characters like Barry and Claire and giving them big roles to play in a pretty powerful story direction) makes it easy to see that they are trying to continue the series and give fans what they want at the same time.

Last edited:

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Out of curiosity, why do people believe Capcom hates Jill? Is it just because she hasn't been in the games for a while, or is there more to it? Because if it's only the length of her hiatus, I don't think she's been gone long enough to reasonably come to that conclusion.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Yes I read what she said, but did you read what I said? It's not a tradition and the characters are certainly not taking turns either considering that Chris and Jill starred in 5, then REV1 when it should not have been their "turn". Claire should've been in REV1 since she missed out on 4 and 5, meaning Leon should've been in REV 2 after missing 5 and REV1.

If there were a set tradition of characters taking turns, the above would be the case. This is completely overlooking the fact that Capcom confirmed that Claire and Barry returned purely due to fan demand anyway. Picking and choosing what fits one's own criteria for tradition doesn't make it as such.
Well, you might want to read what she said again. She explained a lot. She said the Revelations games go by different rules.
Out of curiosity, why do people believe Capcom hates Jill? Is it just because she hasn't been in the games for a while, or is there more to it? Because if it's only the length of her hiatus, I don't think she's been gone long enough to reasonably come to that conclusion.
Yeah, I don't get it either. No offence to anybody, but I think that conclusion is kind of... naive, I guess?

Last edited:
Top Bottom