• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 If RE new game came out who will be a main character?

arrman6

Some Fans are saying that Chris will be a main characters in the new RE game.If Ethan was a Main character in new RE game it would be cool but some of the fans will complain about it.What do guys think will Ethan be worth character for new RE game?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'd say Chris seems rather unlikely. He was a playable main character in Revelations 1, RE5 and 6, a minor character in 7, a playable extra in Revelations 2, a costume in Umbrella Corps, and now he will be appearing in Vendetta as well (not a game, but still). If Capcom still stick to their tradition of letting their long-running protagonists take turns (despite everything else they've changed), putting Chris in 8 as well would be overkill, especially when there's other characters like Jill out there that we haven't heard from in ages.

As for Ethan... He has about as much personality and depth as a wedge of cheese. But hey, at least it would be funny to fight zombies as cheese, as proven by RE2's Tofu minigame, so I'd take that over Ethan anytime.

arrman6

Yeah but still I just don't like Chris always being in every RE game.It just I like him but he can't be always in every RE series(movie not included).They should just add some characters like Hunk,Victor,Jill,Billy some other characters in old RE games.Chris was an old character in RE series but they just keep remastering him.Now all the Fan theory are saying Chris is gonna be in new RE game because he showed up in RE7 BH.He got plenty of time in spin-offs and Capcom vs Marvel.Its not fair for other character in RE.

And thanks for your support man.

Last edited:

Eagle5

S.O.A.
I doubt it. I hope Chris is a gimmick for returning fans in RE7 and they stay away from rewriting classic characters, save they ruin them.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Yeah but still I just don't like Chris always being in every RE game.It just I like him but he can't be always in every RE series(movie not included).They should just add some characters like Hunk,Victor,Jill,Billy some other characters in old RE games.Chris was an old character in RE series but they just keep remastering him.Now all the Fan theory are saying Chris is gonna be in new RE game because he showed up in RE7 BH.He got plenty of time in spin-offs and Capcom vs Marvel.Its not fair for other character in RE.
Chris isn't in every RE though, and we're still not even sure whether or not it was the real Chris in 7, but either way, he's one of the main characters of the series. It makes sense for him to be in a lot of games. Jill has been around, too.

Mr.R

Anyone, but Chris. Seriously. I know he's the main character (with Leon and Jill coming in a close deuteragonist role) but c'mon. In the last few years Chris was in: RE5, REDC, RERev1, RE6, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Project X Zone 1 and 2, RE Vendetta, Marvel vs Capcom Infinity and...RE7?
Leon has been in REDC, Damnation, RE6 and Vendetta (he is also an "helper" in Project X Zone 2, but not playable) and Jill in RE5, REV1 and MvC3.
In all honesty, maybe it's time to pull Jill back. In terms of canon, she's in the sidelines since 2009.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Chris isn't in every RE though, and we're still not even sure whether or not it was the real Chris in 7, but either way, he's one of the main characters of the series. It makes sense for him to be in a lot of games. Jill has been around, too.

Geez, Maddy! Remember how you lectured me that you don't mean literally everyone when you're talking about "everyone" in the fanbase? I'm sure Arrman didn't mean that Chris is in literally every game either, but if you look at the RE-related titles Capcom has released since 2009, then yes, he has been in almost all of them (see my list above), whether you count RE7 or not. Even the one that didn't feature him, Operation Raccoon City, had a suspiciously similar substitute (Dee-Ay). Whether you like this fact or not is up to you, but it can't be denied, and there are other, mostly female main characters too who have been neglected lately to show off the male cast. While Leon is most prominently featured in the CGI movies, the games have become Chris's domain, but other characters such as Claire, Ada, and Jill seem to exist for the sole purpose of showing up whenever the story needs them. And as someone before me said: No, Jill has not been around, at least not chronologically, since 2009, unless you know something about the future of the franchise that the rest of us don't.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Geez, Maddy! Remember how you lectured me that you don't mean literally everyone when you're talking about "everyone" in the fanbase? I'm sure Arrman didn't mean that Chris is in literally every game either, but if you look at the RE-related titles Capcom has released since 2009, then yes, he has been in almost all of them (see my list above), whether you count RE7 or not. Even the one that didn't feature him, Operation Raccoon City, had a suspiciously similar substitute (Dee-Ay). Whether you like this fact or not is up to you, but it can't be denied, and there are other, mostly female main characters too who have been neglected lately to show off the male cast. While Leon is most prominently featured in the CGI movies, the games have become Chris's domain, but other characters such as Claire, Ada, and Jill seem to exist for the sole purpose of showing up whenever the story needs them. And as someone before me said: No, Jill has not been around, at least not chronologically, since 2009, unless you know something about the future of the franchise that the rest of us don't.
I'm not trying to be rude, the way it was said confused me and it was kind of a different situation. But either way, overall we've seen Leon just as much as Chris. Jill hasn't really been gone for that long. We did see an email from her in Revelations 2, and though it wasn't much, it proves she didn't disappear off the face of the planet like the other ones he stated, we did get information on what she was doing, and release date wise, it wasn't too long ago either, really.

Ethan Winters

Ito Junji Addict, Lupin Enthusiast
I personally want to see Jill or Billy return for the next game. Seeing Jill team up with one of the older characters would be nice like Claire did with Barry.

Ethan Winters

Ito Junji Addict, Lupin Enthusiast
I seriously do not want to see Leon or Chris again for 8. Especially Leon. I like the dude but whenever you bring up RE, he is the guy people think of.. Well, most people.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Jill hasn't really been gone for that long. We did see an email from her in Revelations 2, and though it wasn't much, it proves she didn't disappear off the face of the planet like the other ones he stated, we did get information on what she was doing, and release date wise, it wasn't too long ago either, really.

You're missing the point here. Yes, Revelations 2 was released only two years ago, but is set in 2011, and Jill probably wrote that email in 2009 shortly after her rescue. Besides the therapy she mentioned, we have not the slightest idea what she's been up to since then, she might as well have disappeared off the face of the planet and we wouldn't even know. It's been eight years since 2009, a lot can happen in that time.

That being said, I'm not a huge Jill fan, but I am a fan of diversity, and while I personally don't mind seeing Chris as often as we have lately, I do mind the neglect of other characters, and I'm tired of being told the same old story over and over again. The only thing the guy ever does is look for someone, try to cope with and avenge the loss of fallen friends, or both. If they're going to continue using Chris as much, they could at least give him someting else to do.

Kurisu

I don't know honestly, I got comfy playing as Chris since he's my fave, but 5 and 6 broke the balance refering to which character turn is it, Leon always appears on the pair games, Claire took a lot of time to appear, Jill... Even if she appeared on Revelations 1, it was before 5 so I kinda miss her in action. Ada would be cool as a main, but the pair games thing also applies to her and... I dunno, she prefers to stay away from the chaos and act in the shadows, we had that in 6. I would say Rebecca but she's going to appear on Vendetta (and who knows if she'll survive). Billy would be cool too, but he's been missing since 1998 in canon events, who knows if he's still alive... Now, the Burtons would be a cool concept as protagonists, I would like to see Barry and Moira team up, and since Alex is around inside Natalia... It would be cool too if they could bring Sherry and Jake too (I would like to see interactions of Claire and Sherry as well but I don't know if that is too much to ask). And seeing Jill with Barry and Moira would be cool too. So many characters, so many possibilities you know? If they bring the old Chris back I would be happy, but right now the only thing I have is Vendetta. Also... Even if I hate him, it would be great if they brought Wesker back. Come on, his death was really lame, and I'm sure most of the cast would want to punch him.

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
I'm not trying to be rude, the way it was said confused me and it was kind of a different situation. But either way, overall we've seen Leon just as much as Chris. Jill hasn't really been gone for that long. We did see an email from her in Revelations 2, and though it wasn't much, it proves she didn't disappear off the face of the planet like the other ones he stated, we did get information on what she was doing, and release date wise, it wasn't too long ago either, really.
@Maddy7 Actually we don't have any further proof what Jill is really doing. She could be in the Andromeda galaxy :lol: That E-Mail could've been written in 2009 as Hel said (Logically, it makes sense), so yeah that means 8 years without any real explanation (I'm wondering how they gonna fill that gap), other than taking a break. While I disagree usually disagree with her, I have to agree with her on this one.

Totally down for Jill getting another role but asking Crapcom to bring her back means We'll still ignore her. Why can't they do the same thing for Jill like Naughty Dog did for Chloe? And I'm really tired of Chris (and Leon) appearing popping up everywhere under the sun :mad: That's why I'm taking a loooooong break from the RE series. Will still keep up with the canon, though.:wink:

arrman6

I agree with Ethan Winters and N7Valentine.But even if they add Chris and Leon in new RE game some people will get bored by playing RE.When you think about it RE7 BH was quite succesful because of the FPS and beacause of the main character.(also horror).But in the ending they suprise us with new look of Chris or some Redfield.But he just keep coming out in RE games(RE1,REDC,RE5,6 and some RE games).So yeah Maddy7 I think Chris has too much time in many games.

Last edited:

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda

Even if you go by release date, Revelations 1 came out in 2012, that was 5 years ago, making it 8 years since her last appearance chronologically and 3 whole games since she last appeared in-person.

And an e-mail mention hardly counts. If anything, it was just an excuse to continue to keep her out of the actual games. Like Hel said, other than receiving therapy, we haven't the slightest clue what she's been up to since then. Now would be the perfect time to bring her back especially with the ongoing Wesker children storyline. No doubt she's suffering PTSD after her treatment from the Wesker.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think the main point was that while Jill hasn't had a more current story-line, she was at least mentioned in one of the most recently made RE games. This leaves me feeling hopeful that Capcom hasn't completely forgotten her character and thinking that they are possibly working on featuring her in the next instalment... Of course there is no guarantee, especially since RE7 completely disregards everything and everyone from the previous games. But I'd rather her return be well thought out and kick-ass, than half-assed and shortsighted.

As for Chris always getting featured in recent games- it only makes sense for Capcom to try and find a main hero for the series and he is honestly the best choice in terms of his history (being in STARS and working alongside the series biggest villain) as well as what he has accomplished throughout his story arc. I don't view their decision as sexist as some make it sound. It makes sense, story wise, for Chris to be used as a series icon, and, from a business standpoint, it also makes sense for Capcom to feature Leon more because his popularity grew due to RE4's success. Perhaps they can do the same for Jill if they give her that much needed and awesome comeback.

To focus more on the question asked in the fist post though. Yes I do think that Chris should be featured in the next main game (though that doesn't necessarily mean leading role). They left RE7 off on a huge cliffhanger revolving around his character, I would hope that we get to find out what's going on sooner rather than 10 years from now. I also don't anticipate Ethan's return. It was hard to truly care about his character, I mean we couldn't even get a face to his name. Probably the only way he would be featured again is if they decide to go the story route where he is actually infected, but that wasn't even hinted at at the end of the game either.

Last edited:

N7Valentine

Jill Sandwich Lover Since 1996
@KManX89 It's true. A lot of people don't know that Rev1 was set in 2006 despite being released in 2012. Sure, we get a Rev1 PS4 port but that hardly counts as an appearance for Jill considering it was already done before. And most agree about that E-Mail being an excuse to keep her out but it makes Jill fans in turn really ****ed at Crapcom. When you think about it: Jill hasn't done anything in decades and she only worked for the BSAA like 2 years max. from 2004-2006, because in 5 she was 3 years under Wesker's control and now she's taking a break, which makes a total of 12 years of Jill doing practically nothing. :confused:

@bSTAR_182 Since you're a Chris fan, you don't understand the point of Jill fans. Her being mentioned in an E-Mail isn't any proof that she isn't forgotten, in fact, many fans still believe that the current dev team hates her. Don't know if it's true but it certainly feels that way.

Chris is okay but him being everywhere isn't the solution. The RE series was always known for its diverse cast instead of just having one definitive protag. Besides, Chris along with Jill started the series but we keep hearing about Chris but hardly anything about Jill? It's strange considering Jill is still more popular than Chris (Not making this up to make Jill look better). People are slowly getting tired of seeing Chris and Leon everywhere :confused: That's not how the series become famous and popular.

I once said it: If Crapcom hates Jill so much, why not tell us that she won't return? Sure, fans will get mad but at least we definitely get a closure to her character rather than leaving us in the dark about her as they've been doing for years...

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Why would Capcom hate Jill? Obviously Revelations took place a long time ago, but it was a new story with her. As for what she's doing now, it should be kept in mind that what she went through was traumatic and she had to go to rehab. It makes sense she's taking time off, and it would probably take a while for her to be ready to be out on the field again (if ever).

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
@bSTAR_182 Since you're a Chris fan, you don't understand the point of Jill fans.

Um... Sorry, but what kind of logic dictates that someone who is a Chris fan can't understand Jill fans? Is that another fandom rivalry thing? It would be a weird case, though, because in my experience, most fans who like Chris also like Jill, and vice versa. I'm a rare exception, having always liked Chris, but never quite warmed up to Jill yet, and even I am asking for her back. If anything, bSTAR has made it pretty clear that she does understand the longing for Jill, hoping for her return to do justice to her character, even if it means waiting a little longer for it. (At least that's what I get from that post.)

As for what she's doing now, it should be kept in mind that what she went through was traumatic and she had to go to rehab. It makes sense she's taking time off, and it would probably take a while for her to be ready to be out on the field again (if ever).

True, but Jill doesn't strike me as a person who would take eight years to get over a traumatic experience. She would want to keep fighting to make sure no one else has to go through her own ordeal, and she even writes in her email that she would "take a battlefield full of BOWs over looking at another test tube". Yes, she also claims to be looking forward to rehab, but probably only to get out of the labs and put this whole thing behind her already. I get the impression that she doesn't really need this therapy as much as she's required to go through with it. (Or at least she doesn't think she needs it.)

Last edited:

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
True, but Jill doesn't strike me as a person who would take eight years to get over a traumatic experience. She would want to keep fighting to make sure no one else has to go through her own ordeal, and she even writes in her email that she would "take a battlefield full of BOWs over looking at another test tube". Yes, she also claims to be looking forward to rehab, but probably only to get out of the labs and put this whole thing behind her already. I get the impression that she doesn't really need this therapy as much as she's required to go through with it. (Or at least she doesn't think she needs it.)
That's true. It's possible she was just trying to not worry Barry and stay positive, but there is the thing about not wanting others to go through the same thing. Maybe she is helping the BSAA, just not in combat at the moment?
I don't know, I'm just trying to think of a logical explanation. :razz:

Top Bottom