• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) How would you rate REmake 2?

Resident Evil 2 Remake is...

• Total voters

Masterteo89_

B

While it is definitely not the greatest remake of all time like everyone is trying to call it, it's still a damn great game in its own right.
9/10

True. But sadly this is not great as the original RE2 was.

But finally, finally... i have played a RE game that was good and truly satisfied me. This did not happen since RE:Code Veronica, in my opinion the last of the good RE games.

Finally, CAPCOM is maybe understanding again how to make good games.

I had lost hope since RE4, but with this remake i have to say that i have regained my lost hope.

Old mechanics (the sweet hard and stiff movements of the characters ) won't come back anymore sadly.

But if we can trade that for good plot, good gameplay and good survival horror experience... then it will be worth it.

Noble Alfred

It was pretty good but I would say RE7 felt more complete and had more forward momentum. Here I felt like I ran around in the vicinity for paper thin reasons. And I really don't like the fact that both Claire and Leon's campaigns contradict each other.

Balance was spot on though. Boss battles were a tad easy but I felt like I could run out of ammo anytime, I am sure it was due to the dynamic difficulty adjustment this game pulls on the background.

7 or 8/10

Tyrant T-103

The redesigned areas are amazing. The voice acting was also stellar. My one beef is that some scenes were repeated for both scenarios, which I do not recall happening in the original. Plus, they removed the plants, the crows and the spiders.

The spiders should have been in the game in place of Birkin's offspring. At least in my opinion...

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
The redesigned areas are amazing. The voice acting was also stellar. My one beef is that some scenes were repeated for both scenarios, which I do not recall happening in the original. Plus, they removed the plants, the crows and the spiders.

The spiders should have been in the game in place of Birkin's offspring. At least in my opinion...
Plants are still there, just a different design with one-hit kill capabilities.

Tyrant T-103

Leon and Claire also don't interact as often. The story was totally changed, but it is still faithful to the original. I just wish they didn't repeat some scenes.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Leon and Claire also don't interact as often. The story was totally changed, but it is still faithful to the original. I just wish they didn't repeat some scenes.
You know I'm confused as to why people say this as Leon and Claire didn't interact that much in the original either. They met up once at the police station, they spoke on radio once and then they spoke over the lab communication system after the self destruct sequence has been activated.

The only instance of communication that was left out of the remake was that one radio transmission and it was replaced by two notes left by the A character in the B scenario.

They interact the same amount. Now if you wanted to complain that Leon doesn't interact with Sherry in the remake until the train is in motion and has nothing to do with saving her at all, therefore making either the remake or Resident Evil 6 not a part of series canon, that is a valid complaint.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
You know I'm confused as to why people say this as Leon and Claire didn't interact that much in the original either. They met up once at the police station, they spoke on radio once and then they spoke over the lab communication system after the self destruct sequence has been activated.

Didn't they meet up in a hallway where Leon saw Sherry and Claire chased after her? Then they also met up in the STARS room. Then I think Claire tried communicating with Leon over the radio in the jail cell room and again to tell him to go get Sherry.

I think the problem people, including me, have with this remake is that Leon only interacts with Claire outside the police station at the beginning, and over the communications system at the end. That's a big gap. Like they purposely wanted to write the other character out of the story for as long as possible. At least when you meet Claire in the police station in the original, you get a sense that she's progressing through her story simultaneously with Leon.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Leon A/Claire B: They meet in STARS Office, then Leon radios Claire after Ben dies, then Claire finds Leon after he got shot, then they meet on the train,

Claire A/Leon B: They meet in hallway outside of Library after Sherry runs off, then Claire radios Leon when she finds Sherry, then Claire radios Leon after Irons dies, then Claire radios Leon after the lab countdown begins, and then they meet on the train.

What I'm saying is I too wish they interacted more in they REmake haha :p

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I guess I'm just not seeing the big deal. Meeting the other more, or less, affects the campaign in absolutely no way whatsoever. You still have to do the same things and without the help of the other character. It's not like meeting up more would help your circumstances any.

Mr.R

In the subject of Leon and Claire interaction, to be honest I think I like the way the RE2Remake show these interactions. They have a nice chemistry with each other. A little juvenile and all, but Leon's 21 and Claire is 19. It's expected. Actually Leon and Claire (in my opinion) interact much better in the RE2Remake than in Degeneration, which was a full fledged movie with both of them, where they barely talks to each other (Not like Leon has any emotion on that movie, for that matter. It was the worst portrayal of the character ever).

Aaaaaaalso, I never liked Leon & Ada as a "couple" of sorts (or Ada, as a character, most of the time), never, and this game makes me feel like Leon & Claire should've been RE's power couple since the beginning, but that's just me.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I guess I'm just not seeing the big deal. Meeting the other more, or less, affects the campaign in absolutely no way whatsoever. You still have to do the same things and without the help of the other character. It's not like meeting up more would help your circumstances any.

And that's exactly the problem. In the original, they didn't even have to meet all the time to give you the impression that there's still someone else alive and running around, which was especially noticeable in the B scenario: When Claire A called Leon B to tell him she found Sherry, she also mentioned that she blew up the broken door that was blocking the path to Chief Irons's office. When you went there as Leon B, the broken door was indeed gone, and you even had to go in there to find the crank. Later, when you entered the upper level of the lab as Leon B, the door to the save room was locked, reminding you that that's where Claire left infected Sherry, and she probably locked the door to keep Sherry safe.

There are almost no such little details in the remake. Even though Sherry gets infected in both of Claire's scenarios this time, Leon always has access to the room where she's supposedly resting and never finds her there, and if you take Claire back to the parking garage after exploring the sewers, there is no van crashed into the wall to suggest that Leon and Ada were there. Granted, you're not supposed to go back there story-wise, but little things like this would have helped with this sense of the other character progressing that Turo mentioned. In the original, there was always something reminding me that I wasn't alone in this mess, even if I didn't speak to or meet the other character in person. In the remake, while playing Claire A for the first time, I completely forgot Leon even existed until the end.

D

Deleted member 21244

The original was better done and even if you don't play as Leon you care about him, in re 2 remake you simply give no **** about the other character, since he or she apperead only at the end and take your same train like if it was magic while in the original they always comunicate via radio and give each other their respective location until they call each other to meet in the end

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
The original was better done and even if you don't play as Leon you care about him, in re 2 remake you simply give no **** about the other character, since he or she apperead only at the end and take your same train like if it was magic while in the original they always comunicate via radio and give each other their respective location until they call each other to meet in the end
I guess I don't see the difference because I never cared about Leon anyway.

And as for 'not feeling alone' I thought that was the point of survival horror... That you're alone.

Turo602

The King of Kings
And as for 'not feeling alone' I thought that was the point of survival horror... That you're alone.

The original RE2 did survival horror just fine while maintaining and intertwining 2 scenarios. The point isn't to be feeling like you're not alone, you're obviously still alone for the majority of the game, it's about enriching the story and characters. Those interactions were one of the many reasons RE2 was one of the greatest sequels of all time. It did something the original didn't, and in doing so, made it feel like both scenarios were happening at the same time, as opposed to the other character just being locked up for the rest of the game, completely disregarding their story.

Mr.R

I think the RE2 Remake had its inspiration on the way it handled the scenarios on the RE1\Remake. Both games has scenarios where the characters fight the same bosses, with a story where both scenarios doesn't fit the canon entirely (since we know Chris and Jill were running around the mansion instead of being locked in a cell) and RE1\Remake doesn't even has a canon ending where we see all the survivors. I don't know why the RE2 Remake had gone to this approach, where we don't know "who did what", but I honestly don't care that much. Key events still happens as they do in RE2. I know that, for some, the changes are a step back, but I don't mind them that much. RE Remake still has a mess of scenarios on Jill and Chris game and yet I don't remember that backlash back then. I'm fine with the story, since the character's personalities are on point, in my opinion, which I value a little more.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Mr.R I think all this backlash and nitpicking comes from Resident Evil 2 being heralded as the best of all time. (Which is an assertion that I'm honestly sick of despite Resident Evil 2 being one of my favorites and probably my most played Resident Evil game.)

The Fanboys are coming out of the woodwork with petty **** like "Leon and Claire don't meet up enough" - even though it literally adds nothing to the story for them to do so and, in turn, takes nothing away from the story either - "costumes are three bucks a pop, that's ridiculous even though extra playable modes are free" and, my personal favorite, "Claire and Ada are bitchy compared to their original personalities."

What personalities? Allison Court's flare for over exaggerating every other word, Claire running after Sherry screaming "little girl" and Ada STILL deceiving Leon for her own gain, only this time in a super obvious trench coat and glasses?

I bet it was the trench coat that made her bitchy. That seems like something a trench coat would do.

Like honestly, some of the complaints I've heard about this game have been almost as ridiculous as the RPG fan who wrote a whole review complaining about how she didn't like the game because the game wouldn't allow her to be the type of survivor she wanted to be.

Resident Evil was a beloved game but it wasn't 'the' beloved game so when it was remade, in the exact same way as it was originally released but with the Lisa Trevor stuff added in and updated graphics, everyone was like 'cool' but the Leon Fanboys are here now and nothing is cool. They've either changed too much or changed too little or Claire and Leon don't seem quite right, even though they're exactly the same as they were in the original, albeit with a little more depth.

The Fanboys will never be happy. Capcom probably should've done a version where they updated the graphics like they did with the original remake but the rest of the game is exactly the same just for them. (But I guess there would probably be something wrong with that too.:rolleyes:)

This is why Capcom doesn't give us nice things, because people **** on it.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
"It literally adds nothing." Guess everyone was full of sh*t back then when all that sh*t that adds nothing was part of what made the game special. But let's bend over for Capcom because the story is mostly there.

What's this nonsense about the first REmake now? Talk about petty and ridiculous.

Let's never criticize Resident Evil 2, some people can't take it when truths are stated regarding the watering down of this remake. But let's just all say it's f*cking perfect and not gripe about a goddamn thing because that makes us petty fanboys.

I guess this kind of sheepish delusion is why Capcom is still in business.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The first remake wasn't criticised for not balancing Chris and Jill's stories because the original didn't do that either, so it wasn't expected. Remake 2, on the other hand, omits something that the original did, and that is never a good thing unless that something was a bug or a much hated feature.

Everyone has different priorities. Some value the story more than others, some only care about gameplay. Some prefer the original voices and representations of Claire and Leon, others dislike them. Some are fine with paying extra for an outfit, some are not. None of this makes anyone a fanboy or a hater or wrong or anything like that. In fact, you can be a fan of something and still acknowledge its flaws, and that in turn doesn't mean you're not enjoying it - just look at the ratings in the poll, not one below 7! But even if you're not enjoying it, well, tell me one video game, book, movie, or whatever that was equally enjoyed by everyone. I'll wait.

If you look at the title of this thread, discussing what the game did well and what could have been done better is exactly the kind of conversation that is encouraged here. But it should be possible for adults to do so without becoming toxic. We're in the 21st century, not in the Middle Ages, so could we please stop the witch-hunt now?

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
"It literally adds nothing." Guess everyone was full of sh*t back then when all that sh*t that adds nothing was part of what made the game special. But let's bend over for Capcom because the story is mostly there.

What's this nonsense about the first REmake now? Talk about petty and ridiculous.

Let's never criticize Resident Evil 2, some people can't take it when truths are stated regarding the watering down of this remake. But let's just all say it's f*cking perfect and not gripe about a goddamn thing because that makes us petty fanboys.

I guess this kind of sheepish delusion is why Capcom is still in business.
Never said the game was perfect or didn't have its flaws, in fact I had my own gripes in my review. I'm just extremely tired of seeing the people who put Resident Evil 2 on a pedestal finding petty reasons and pointing to them as why the remake isn't perfect, but no game will ever be perfect.

"I enjoyed playing it but costumes were three dollars. Costumes were free in the original back in 1998."

"I liked it but lickers were too hard. They were never that hard before." (Even though they were.)

"It was fun but Claire and Leon don't chat over the radio like BFF'S. The original is better because Claire and Leon chat."

It's not going to be the original, that's why it's a REMAKE. It's going to be different and updated and bringing up petty complaints so that you can still hail the original as better is ridiculous.

The original did some things better.

The remake did some things better.

The remakes existence doesn't erase the original from history. If the original is that important to you, go play it but don't pick apart the remake like the original was perfect because it wasn't. The remake has its actual flaws, talk about those.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
The remake has its actual flaws, talk about those.

Alright, but who gets to decide what exactly those "actual flaws" are? To me, the story discrepancies between the campaigns are an actual flaw; not that Leon and Claire rarely meet, but that nothing that happens in either character's story seems to affect the other in any way. Others would argue that doesn't matter as long as gameplay isn't affected. Am I in the right or in the wrong here?

As I said before, it all comes down to individual priorities, and experience tells me it's best to ignore people who only complain for the sake of complaining because there's no legal way to shut them up. But as far as I can tell, no one is actually doing this right now, at least not here, so... let's all calm down, lean back and have a cup of tea while imagining how fabulous Leon would look in Ada's dress.

Top Bottom