• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Final thought's on RE7?

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Sorry for the late reply.

So I've decided to replay RE7 for the 2nd time in order to remember the game better. I've always thought that RE7 being a 1st person horror game all of a sudden was weird since I've liked the action / campy / over the top nature of RE and I thought 4, 5 and 6 being action horror games made sense ( They are good RE games to me due to this though 5 is flawed compared to 4 and 6. ) since the main RE games started to focus on action more with RE2 and this natural process continued in RE3 and RECV, it didn't suddenly happen with RE4. However; in my mind, I was still thinking that I was exaggerating my hate for RE7 and the game when taken for its own thing couldn't be that bad. However after replaying the game; I can safely say " Yes. The game's still that bad even when taken on its own thing. " Though I'll mention good things about the game as well. I also played Not a Hero for the 1st time ( when I replayed the game; it wasn't released. ) and I gotta say; Chris' awful design is the least bad thing about it. So let's start:

Main Game

IMO; the Guest House section is ok; ( The intro is stupid though; worst RE intro ever. Like why didn't Ethan bring any weapon with him or call the cops? This game takes place in freaking 2017 and our " hero " behaves like none of the previous bioterror events happened. It isn't cheesy at all and instead is simply stupid. The game's terrible story takes itself WAY too seriously and lacks camp. ) I've decided to watch the tape again since it leads to a collectible; the only tape I like in this game. Mia boss battle is ok; gives decent challenge. I still liked Jack in this ( The only character I like in this game. ) but not during the part when you can't fight back due to not having any weapons and need to escape using a key. The game becomes good however after you enter your 1st save room... Until when you find 3 dog related keys and unlock the main gate; then the game's quality goes on a rapid downhill. My favourite part in Main House section is Jack boss fight in the morgue; I like " killing " him with the chainsaw; it feels satisfying. I've really liked the shotgun puzzle as well. Other references aren't that memorable though. Speaking of shotgun; oh boy, this weapon has a way better impact than RE2 Remake's shotgun. I also think the impact of weapons in this game is better than Revelations' and RE2 Remake's weapons though they are still not that great compared to weapons in other RE games. I've liked enhanced ammo ( Please Capcom; don't forget this mechanic in RE3 Remake. ) as well; I prefer it to the RE2 Remake's lame 2nd run handguns and their ammunition. Anyways after unlocking the main gate; you go to Old House which isn't really that memorable compared to Main House, regardless it's a mediocre section; bugs are annoying though. The items inside the cages that can be unlocked using coins aren't that memorable either. Though I hate steroids items and their lame joke aspect; I've always thought Chris was a badass who really trained after RECV to become really muscular without resorting to drugs. The HP increasing items should have been yellow herbs. Speaking of herbs; I hate that green herbs ( which can't be combined with each other. ) are the only herb type in this game; I didn't like these lame bottles, I like combining herbs in RE games. Marguerite ( Who's an annoying character. ) boss battle was super boring with really cheap attacks; I've decided to rely purely on Burner ( which is a crappy weapon. ) this time and surprised that she went down really easily. I knew she was weak to fire based weapons but NOT that much. I guess I didn't really need to shoot her weakspot and make it unnecessarily hard for me previously. After killing Marguerite, the game becomes a lame 1st person shooter horror game while becoming really linear. The game gives you WAY too much ammo and most of them aren't that hard to find. Granted classic RE games ( RE0 can go **** itself. ) gave you spare ammo too but they striked a balance not to mention some of them were hidden well in those games. This balance aspect is better done in RE2 Remake IMO compared to RE7. Oh and those very fast crawling things with cheap attacks can go **** themselves; one of the worst if not the WORST monsters in the franchise. I've liked Lucas' special puzzle room but Lucas is annoying as well, he reminds me of the dumb Irving in RE5 but Lucas is worse. After the puzzle room, the game continues to be meh like how it was previously but becomes even more linear. I've disliked Jack's blob form who has weakspots which some of them BTW are in annoying places; I've wished he stalked you more and didn't become a blob instead. It seems this is one of the reasons why Mr. X stalks you in RE2 Remake's 1st run as well which instead feels excessive in that game. The Mia or Zoe section is retarded; why does Mia appear in ship when you cure Zoe who dies very quickly anyways? The tape found in ship is stupid too and SMG sucks ass. ( RE2 Remake's SMG is better this time. ) Like how did Mia record that thing and why didn't anyone get suspicious on a ship that gone missing? We're in freaking 2017 timelinewise. Oh and boring Eveline sucks as a villain and she makes one of the most lame jumpscares ever. After that, the lame linear FPS stuff doesn't change. Honestly I forgot RE7 was a survival horror game as I got more and more closer to the end parts of the game since the game tries to imitate 4 / 5 / 6 for some reason but doesn't do it well. Eveline boss fight is way too scripted and her only lame attack is an instant kill. And the lame Redfield guy...

Not a Hero

Before playing this; I was thinking " Maybe Capcom could have put more effort into this and playing as Chris can be fun. Especially since it's delayed which means they could have put more effort into the mode. " . Oh boy; I couldn't be more wrong. Not a Hero simply sucks from start to finish unlike main game which have redeeming qualities. Weapons have lackluster impact, low weapon variety compared to RE5 and RE6, melee is seriously dumbed down and have really low variety not to mention why can't I melee at any time and need prompts to do so, there isn't really interesting mechanics unlike in RE5 and RE6, the game gives you way too much ammo to the point where melee feels completely unnecessarily and misses balance a lot more than RE5 and RE6's Chris campaign do which miss balance a bit by being unnecessarily unforgiving when it comes to ammo sometimes, the basic enemies pose very little challenge, the whole gas mask upgrading section feels stupid ( I don't think Chris would wear one of them however if you force him a gas mask, at least make sure it's FULLY upgraded; why do I need to find parts in random places? ), Blue Umbrella from name alone is stupid, ( Another anti-bioterrorism organization is unnecessary when BSAA exists. Oh and what were they doing during the events of RE5 and RE6? How did they acquire Wesker's gun so easily and what's even Albert-02? Wesker didn't use / have a shotgun in 1998. ) , Chris loses men again but it doesn't feel impactful this time not to mention he doesn't seem to learn his lesson from RE6 despite Piers' constant warnings that include him sacrificing himself to save Chris ( On another note, why did he allow himself to get attacked by Lucas so easily at the start of the game like why not check the body that's Lucas? ) , Chris himself is also boring here as a character along with boring VA, the areas that involve gas are atrocious ( I thought Revelations 2's gas sections were annoying however after playing Not a Hero, I'll take Revelations 2's gas sections over RE7. ) which becomes really annoying during Lucas boss battle which is atrocious as well, why can't I perform melee attacks on Lucas' mutated form, some monsters are unnecessarily bullet spongy. There are new monsters in the game that can only be killed with special ammunition however they aren't executed that well here and the monster variety still sucks ass. So that's how I would describe Not a Hero.

Other Notes

1. No extra modes that aren't paid DLC. Like where's Mercenaries?

2. No costumes.

3. No rocket launcher or infinite rocket launcher.

4. My opinion about the story still didn't change; it sucks ass. It should have been a sequel to RE6 instead of this weird reboot wannabe story.

5. Most characters in the game are boring and terrible ( Also what is it with Ethan's lack of reaction to anything around him? The guy is so calm while attacking his wife or while getting his hand cut off which for some reason, attaches to this arm somewhat? ) and the game wastes Jack by throwing him into trash way too early.

6. 1st person camera isn't fitting for main RE games. I infinitely prefer fixed camera angles or over the shoulder camera over 1st person.

7. Mold is lame. I don't understand how it works and it doesn't really have a rule for what it does. Yes; I've checked the files but it's still confusing. Monster variety still sucks.

8. Running speed is terrible and way too slow. Characters in classic RE games have faster running speed than Ethan and Chris.

9. There's some rare sections where you can be stealthy like in Old House when trying to use the crank while Marguerite roams around. Again; making noises and opening doors don't matter. I wished they learned their lesson from RE6 and Revelations 2 but no. I still prefer RE6's weird stealth sections over the ones in Revelations 2 and RE7; mainly cause that game doesn't take itself that much seriously.

10. Unlockables aren't that interesting.

11. Why are there coins which are paid DLC that improve stats? Was wasting time on those necessary, Capcom?

So here it is; why I think RE7 is terrible and sucks so much ass. Early parts are good but as soon as you unlock the main gate using dog keys; the game goes on a rapid downhill and eventually becomes a lame FPS. Not a Hero is a huge disappointment. I won't play this game ever again.

Thanks for reading.

D

Deleted member 21244

@Nero Sparda I would like to respond and write a bigger post on how I didn't agree on all the things you write but I have few times so il write what I think quick...
I personally think that re 7 its one of the best re game since re 4 came out, and it's also one of the best horror game ever...

Resident evil 4 was ok as a horror game and a complete masterpiece, but 5 and 6 were not the natural evolution of the series since it destroy the series completely, especially re 6 who was boring action game whit stupid story full of plot hole, and that s why Capcom had to do a gameplay reboot for the series whit re 7, that it isn't actually a total gameplay reboot by the way, since every part of the game is taken from old re game except for the first person view that I find a good method to enanche horror and give more tension, I personally like both fixed third and first camera and they all fit the Re universe... The natural evolution of the series are Re 7 and re 2 remake, that how a resident evil game should be made...

I did replay resident evil 7 just few days back and it was amazing In evey way, gameplay, entertaining story, good character (you are right about Ethan reaction, they suck) and villain... The dlc were so good I passed hour on them...

There could have been more enemy variety but I like the one we have, they are probably going to fix this in re 8, also I didn't like the final boss and ending, but for the rest the game was pretty good...

Probably you never played the other re game before re 4 to say that re 5 and 6 were the right evolution of the series... Also horror game are not action and fast game but they are slow game like re 7, ever played outlast? Alone in the dark? the evil whitin? Silent hill? Or the resident evil 1 2 3 0 code veronica outbreak 1 and 2? Gameplay is more closer to resident evil 7 and re 2 remake than resident evil 5 or 6, resident evil 5 and especially 6 are just action game like gears of War or call of duty they didn't have anything to do whit an horror game

Also I don't see how can you blame some part of Re 7 plot while re 6 had stupid and awful moment that make total no sense even for an action game

Last edited by a moderator:

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Resident evil 4 was ok as a horror game and a complete masterpiece, but 5 and 6 were not the natural evolution of the series since it destroy the series completely, especially re 6 who was boring action game whit stupid story full of plot hole, and that s why fheh.. The natural evolution of the series were Re 7 and re 2 remake, that how a resident evil game should be made...
RE4 is a good horror game, great action game, great action horror game and a good RE game. It balances action and horror well. Unfortunately I can't call it a masterpiece even though I love it so much and that was my 1st RE game. Separate Ways wasn't as good as main game; 1st 2 chapters were great, 3rd and 4rd one were kind of ok but the last one sucked and Saddler boss fight was frustrating. I also don't like that you can't upgrade your weapons in that mode. Some of the issues I had in this mode were the issues that I later had in RE5. This was one of the things RE6 fixed for me; a better campaign for Ada even though not a big fan of her stealth sections due to inconsistent J'avo AI. The only RE game I can call masterpiece is RE2.

I think 5 and 6 were natural evolution from RE4 which was natural evolution from classic RE games.

( Also I never called the classic RE games action games. RE1, Remake, RE2, RE3 and RECV are survival horror. Saying RE2 focuses more on action compared to RE1 and Remake isn't equal to saying RE2 is an action game or an action horror game. RE4 was the point where the franchise became action horror and I'm happy with this. However this sudden increase in action didn't happen with RE4; it slowly happened with RE2, RE3 and RECV as well. )

I agree that RE5 should had more atmospheric sections, the only atmospheric section was the area with Progenitor flowers where you later fight Lickers. I also agree that the gameplay of RE5 isn't as good or polished as RE4's due to worse weapon impacts compared to RE4 and Sheva AI being more annoying than Ashley AI. However RE6's gameplay is a major improvement from RE5's; partner AI is better, better weapon impacts though I kinda miss RE5's Hydra and its impact, skill system is more fun to use than RE5's weapon upgrade system and more. I already talked about RE6 and its campaigns in other threads so I'm not gonna talk more here.

Also RE5 and RE6 have great stories and I delved a lot more into them in the RE Story Thread. RE7 just sucks IMO.

Glad you enjoyed RE7 AW959 but you already knew that I hated this trainwreck with a passion. I've made my points and all you're doing is childish insulting like saying I didn't play classic RE games.

And no; I didn't play those non RE games you mentioned. I mainly stick to RE and DMC. I never played Outbreak games either, Darkside Chronicles is the only spinoff I've played.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

RE4 is a good horror game, great action game, great action horror game and a good RE game. It balances action and horror well. Unfortunately I can't call it a masterpiece even though I love it so much and that was my 1st RE game. Separate Ways wasn't as good as main game; 1st 2 chapters were great, 3rd and 4rd one were kind of ok but the last one sucked and Saddler boss fight was frustrating. I also don't like that you can't upgrade your weapons in that mode. Some of the issues I had in this mode were the issues that I later had in RE5. This was one of the things RE6 fixed for me; a better campaign for Ada even though not a big fan of her stealth sections due to inconsistent J'avo AI. The only RE game I can call masterpiece is RE2.

I think 5 and 6 were natural evolution from RE4 which was natural evolution from classic RE games.

( Also I never called the classic RE games action games. RE1, Remake, RE2, RE3 and RECV are survival horror. Saying RE2 focuses more on action compared to RE1 and Remake isn't equal to saying RE2 is an action game or an action horror game. RE4 was the point where the franchise became action horror and I'm happy with this. However this sudden increase in action didn't happen with RE4; it slowly happened with RE2, RE3 and RECV as well. )

I agree that RE5 should had more atmospheric sections, the only atmospheric section was the area with Progenitor flowers where you later fight Lickers. I also agree that the gameplay of RE5 isn't as good or polished as RE4's due to worse weapon impacts compared to RE4 and Sheva AI being more annoying than Ashley AI. However RE6's gameplay is a major improvement from RE5's; partner AI is better, better weapon impacts though I kinda miss RE5's Hydra and its impact, skill system is more fun to use than RE5's weapon upgrade system and more. I already talked about RE6 and its campaigns in other threads so I'm not gonna talk more here.

Also RE5 and RE6 have great stories and I delved a lot more into them in the RE Story Thread. RE7 just sucks IMO.

Glad you enjoyed RE7 AW959 but you already knew that I hated this trainwreck with a passion. I've made my points and all you're doing is childish insulting like saying I didn't play classic RE games.

And no; I didn't play those non RE games you mentioned. I mainly stick to RE and DMC. I never played Outbreak games either, Darkside Chronicles is the only spinoff I've played.
I didn't insult you, where did you read that? I only say that you probably never played the original Re game to say that re 4 5 and 6 where the real evolution of the gameplay series... I didn't see any insult here lol

Also i agree and the most things you sayd about re 4 and 5

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I'd just like to point out that the classic Silent Hill series, while technically being survival horror too, is still vastly different compared to the classic RE games in terms of both gameplay, pacing, story and atmosphere. Also, I'd say that The Evil Within is more like a mix between RE and Silent Hill, none other game has ever come close to capturing the essence of both RE and Silent Hill in one single game.

But if you compare Resident Evil to other survival horror series such as Clocktower, Fatal Frame, Siren and Amnesia, it has always been the more action-oriented one. So while I think its totally acceptable to criticize RE 4-6 (and especially 6) for being too reliant on action, to criticize if it was the right evolution or not.... It's really not the that simple. By all means, it was probably the most natural evolution. But was it the right evolution? It really depends on which RE fan you're asking. It's entirely possible for a longtime fan who grew up with the classic titles to LOVE RE 4-6, and it's also entirely possible for a longtime fan who grew up with the classics to HATE RE 4-6.

Nevertheless, no matter what you feel about RE7, along with the positive response to Revelations 2 they are the main reason why Capcom has decided to tone down the overreliance on action in the modern RE games we're getting now.

mert20004

I've read your essay nero and overall ı have to agree with most of it. I think re7 is extremely overrated as well. I wouldnt be as harsh as you though.

But regardless; ı'll post my long essay:

Personally re7 is my least favourite main re entry in the series. Most people say 4 / 5 / 6 suck or they arent re but ı disagree; imo they are good re games too and ı prefer them over other re games even though ı love classic re games as well. The games started to become more action oriented starting with re2 and this continued with re3 and recv as well so this didnt suddenly happen with re4 when the games start to focus on action more than horror. This also applies to re5 ( which is more action oriented than re4. ) and re6. ( which is more action oriented than re5. ) Basically the transition from survival horror to action horror was natural and made sense.

I found re7 trying to be a reboot or trying to be a classic re game really weird due to this; the change is way too sudden with this game. However in december; ı've replayed all re games including re7.

The game kinda feels like classic re game but in 1st person camera... until you unlock that door using the colored keycards and head towards lucas' traps, then the game becomes really linear and feels like a poor man's 4 / 5 / 6 that doesnt have that good combat with very linear level design. And as you continue further; it becomes a 1st person shooter horror game that is even more linear. Normally ı dont mind linear level design in 4 / 5 / 6 cause they are at least most of the time linear and have great combat systems that work well in their stories. Re7 though is weird; it's trying to be a classic re game however at the same time for some reason, it tries to be 4 / 5 / 6; ı mean in classic re games and re2 remake, the level design wasnt this linear at the mid and end parts of their stories so ı'm not sure what really went wrong in re7. It feels like a mess due to this.

I didnt like re7's story personally; it doesnt connect to canon re storyline well and feels like a mess that wants to be a reboot but at the same time it doesnt. Characters except jack and joe are boring and ı disliked what they did to chris in this game; he's so boring and unlikeable in this game, his weird design isnt the only problem. I think ı would have liked the game more if it was a sequel to re6 storywise.

There's also not a hero which stars chris. Imo; it feels like poor man's chris campaign from re6; the melee and combat are huge step down. Blue umbrella is stupid, what were they doing during the events of re5 and re6? They were founded in 2007 and yet didnt participate at all in re5 and re6? Not to mention; ı dont see how people are fine with a good anti-bioterrorism organization that uses umbrella's name despite the neo-umbrella bioterrorism organization using umbrella's name to spread fear. There was no need for this; the members should have been part of the bsaa. I mean they are still reckless like bsaa so what's the point? This blue umbrella mess is also included in end of zoe as well. The game doesnt really answer that much about this organization.

The game also for some reason has a lot of paid dlcs. I've played them; imo end of zoe is better than not a hero but at the same time it feels like poor man's jake campaign from re6. Combat in that mode is also step down from jake and sherry's mechanics. Joe is a cool character along with jack though he feels so forced. I think he should have helped his family earlier. Nightmare is fun mode and ı replayed it a lot during the time ı've spent in this game though ı still miss mercenaries and think it's better than nightmare. Bedroom is kinda lame; basically escape from the room and no combat. Daughters is ok; there's a reference to re6 ( Only reference ) in that mode though this still didnt change my opinion about the game's story. 21 is stupid; for some reason it's a card game. I dont care about the others.

Regardless of my criticisms; ı still enjoyed the game, ı think it's still a good re game but it will always be my least favourite main re game in the series and the game ı'll criticise the most.

mert20004

Oh and ı agree with these long videos as well. Some of the criticisms in these are also reasons why re7's my least favourite main re game.

" Jesus juice " got stuck on my head though...

GhostFace

Slasher
As much as I'm enjoying this game my two main gripes with are a lack of enemy variety and Ethan's is just "bland".

As I said in my intro thread I'm fairly new to the series so I can't compare it to the other games in excessive amounts, but as a stand alone experience I absolutely love its tone, atmosphere and how it feels like a love letter to horror subgenres.

However I do feel like the "molded" are pretty boring and no where near as threatening as some of the enemies in other games. Also Ethan kinda reminds me of that Jason guy from Far Cry 3 how he's an innocent civilian then he slowly turns in to a macho psycho, Not that Ethan goes to quite that extent and whilst I like the idea of an "average Joe" type character he just feels wooden and not all that interesting,

Overall it's definitely up there with my favourite horror games, but it's definitely not without its flaws,

Mr.R

Okay, I never said anything about the game back then, but replaying recently, here it goes: It's overrated as a game. Not that RE7 is bad. It's an okay game, but the praise it got from reviews few totally underserved. Actually, said praise normally refers of things that happens until the Marguerite fight. After that, the game is on rails, where you shoot everything in bland scenarios. I'll try to break this up as I go.

RE7's first act is pretty good, the first time you play. You have no weapons, the house is decaying and spooky and the first Mia fight is also pretty good (and VERY hard on Madhouse). After that, the game gets even better. The main house is amazing, Jack is a good villain and the game even feels RE-like for an hour or two, altough with a shi**y plot. Jack's chainsaw fight is stupid, as stupid as everything people had been complaining about in RE4-6, but it gets a pass on this game because...reasons.

The old house section with Marguerite is okay. The house isn't as interesting but it gets the job done. Marguerite's boss fight is also cool and gross. And then........then the game takes a turn to worse. The interesting scenarios made way to bland locations: bland barn, bland ship, bland mines. Lucas section isn't interesting and the rest of the game is just shoot everything that moves. No more stalkers, no more searching for items like "the old games" or anything. It's linear. And worst of all, it's boring. And the reason it's boring is one of RE7's main flaws: The enemies. Apart from bosses, you only have 3 types of molded (one of them is just the same as regular, but with a different arm) and 1 sub boss. That's all. It gets old really, really quick. Also, the combat doesn't seem fun. It's not fun.

The story feels like a spinoff. It has very, very little to do with the world of Resident Evil, and the references they throw at you feels forced most of the time. Especially in the end, where they throw a bunch of expository science-like documents so you don't forget you're playing Resident Evil, and not some other generic horror game with a supernatural theme. Because that's what RE7 feels. It feels like every first person horror game launched after Amnesia and Outlast, but with guns (the exception being Alien Isolation. Probably the best survival horror game of the PS3 generation and the most tense game I've ever played).

I have a hard time trying to see all those "RE7 brings the series back to its root" POV that every reviewer had at the time. Unless having an item box, some roaming for itens in 45% of the game and "ink ribbons" (tapes on madhouse) is everything that Resident Evil is supposed to be. Oh, and Redfield.

DLC's is more of the same. Some are literal mini-games. End of Zoe has the main character suplexing a monster, which is the thing people also complained about before, in the RE4-6 era. Not a Hero is......meh. Just how many times Chris needs to lose his teammates? Damn...Carla was right. At any rate, the final boss is okay, I guess. But the scenario is more bland mines for most of the time. Boring to look at.

Anyway, is RE7 a bad game? No. It's okay. It can be fun, especially the first half of it, but to me, is one of the most overrated games of this generation. But, in the same way that hating RE6 was a trend that most reviewers embarked at the time, praising RE7 for what it does only half of the time was also a trending so...that is that.

Last edited:

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member

I completely agree with you on your thoughts of how the action direction that the series took was a natural progression for the series. Yes, the original games kickstarted the survival horror genre and had you scrounging around for ammo (especially in the beginning of each game), but they also have more action than other survival horror games, like Silent Hill, where the weapons are usually blunt weapons with an even more limited amount of ammo/firearms. Resident Evil games always have the characters progress to heavy firepower weapons. I’d go as far to say that RE3 was where Capcom really began to go heavy on the action and ammunition. The action direction was more natural than the stealth and hiding direction that RE7 took.

After the dust has settled with RE7, I feel slightly less disdain for it even though I still think it was a complete missed opportunity in terms of story. Capcom could have easily progressed the Alex storyline by having Natalia be the girl that was found but... no... we get to be dragged down another rabbit hole with more lose ends and throw away characters who are so bland and unlikeable... and then of course the AWFUL new Chris actor/design.

As @Mr.R said, it is a game that is overly praised by critics, just like RE6 was overly chastised.

I did really enjoy the first half of the game though. Seriously, I think they started out with great intentions as the concept of being trapped in a place with infected yet somewhat functioning people is great. It’s a fantastic progression for bioweapons.

I really liked the Bakers and the boss fight with Marguerite Baker felt very Resident Evil to me... The pacing gets wonky by the time you’re in the Funhouse though. This is where the game’s story truly flatlines as the player begins to see just how big of a throwaway storyline the game truly is.
The game does, however, succeed in being really scary- at least for me because I am such an anxious person when it comes to hiding and being stealthy. I prefer going in guns a-blazing :biggrin:

I’ve edited this post for the billionth time. I done now.

Last edited:

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
There was talk about Resident Evil 7 in the Unpopular Opinions thread that I kind of wanted to add my two cents to, but it didn't seem like the appropriate place to do so, so I'm gonna write my thoughts here.

In regards to the 'supernatural' element of RE7 - I think that the game was marketed as a supernatural experience right from the get-go when you play the demo. You walk around in the demo and Jack Baker literally walks right by you into the next room. You follow a split second later, and he's vanished into thin air. Yes, I know it's just a demo, but what's a demo for? To be indicative of what's to come in a game. Even if there is an explanation to why things are happening, the illusion they created is that of a supernatural horror movie like The Ring.

I think it would have been way scarier in the demo to have Jack Baker grinning through a window and you hear his footsteps on the porch as he walks around the house... and then nothing. That would amp up the tension a lot more than what seemed to be an apparition.

Ikawaru

Final thoughts:

1st person is not a good idea for RE (With the benefit of hindsight, OTS with strong survival horror elements aka REmake 2 seems to be the best way to go)

The game is way too slow to get started and is paced pretty poorly overall

E-001 means supernatural Silent-Hilly stuff that's above practical science fiction/horror which is more in line with classic RE imo

Mia should have been a Baker and doesn't look or act smart enough to be a scientist for The Connections.

Ethan is not an interesting character/protagonist whatsoever

'Not A Hero' is the best part of the game and should have been the entire game on a large scale and giving Lucas a different background (Lucas is probably the only interesting character in the game...and he's a natural sociopathic maniac, says a lot about Capcom's ability to flesh out decent original characters nowadays).

Inside of the main House actually looks pretty decent and classic RE, but only that area of the game.

Why oh why didn't they add Zombies/Crimson Heads instead of molded? They would have added a layer of quality and horror to the atmosphere whilst molded just blackens it out.

The color coded crafting system actually isn't too bad, I just think they could have expanded on it a bit

It tries to be survival horror and return RE to its survival horror roots but does a pretty poor job at it, ironically RE2 remake did a much better job at that.

Frag Maniac

The first part can get a bit tedious having to wait for good sneak opportunities to avoid being whacked by Jack, but the fights against the main enemies get better as you progress. The monsters however are a bit too easy to evade and keep at bay, since they are slow and can't even open or bash through doors.

I just reinstalled the game however to play the campaign DLCs for the first time. It's a game that can be beaten on Madhouse with no coins once you get familiar with it, we'll see if these DLCs bring anything more challenging. I'm kind of doubting it though.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
What I find most ironic is that when Capcom was advertising the new free port of RE7 to next-gen consoles, they called it "the game that brought the series back to its survival horror roots". It seems as if you tell a lie enough times it eventually becomes the truth.

Turo602

The King of Kings
What I find most ironic is that when Capcom was advertising the new free port of RE7 to next-gen consoles, they called it "the game that brought the series back to its survival horror roots". It seems as if you tell a lie enough times it eventually becomes the truth.
Capcom's whole marketing is just them loving the smell of their own farts. From "due to fan demand" to "the third addition is one you surely been waiting for: Shadows of Rose!" I have not once ever seen anyone demand DLC of any kind, let alone express interest in playing as Rose. Where are they getting these ideas from?

Frag Maniac

Tonight I was reminded of what a POS the chainsaw is in that cage fight against Jack. It almost feels like it's bugged even when you are fully aware LMB = Swing attacks, RMB+LMB = Lunge attack, and R revs it back on if it goes dead. The thing is it's like it doesn't want to even work if Jack is in an attack animation, so it feels more like a cat and mouse game than a real chainsaw fight. Some of the worst and clumsiest fight stuff I've ever seen in a game.

jackbaker877

This is a bit of a random reason to love RE7, but I really liked the shotguns. They were really easy to get and actually helped a lot all the way until the end of the game.

Caffeine Addict

Chris Redfield must have been buying some new impressive facial cream from the chemist. Just how did Capcom manage to like, de-age him? He really didn't look right in the game.

All in all, RE7 isn't one of my personal favourites in the franchise. But I commend Capcom for at least bringing back the survival horror appeal, after they nearly killed the franchise with trash like 6.

Good Lord, was RE6 just the worst or what!?

Top Bottom