• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Final thought's on RE7?

Dr. Cheesesteak

Finished the base game a couple weeks ago and played 5 of the DLC's tonight.

The base game is amazing. It has some rough stretches in the mid-early parts where you have just a pistol vs the black blobs. But the pure stealth horror before that and the more gun-heavy parts after are all really great, imo.

Of the DLC's, 21 was cool. Daughters was cool. Bedroom was alright, didn't finish. Not a Hero was cool. End of Zoe was real fun until the later stretches, it was just tedious and boxing became unfun. The lack of defensive/movement options became glaring vs the 2nd Jack fight and the parts after that (stealth vs gators in the dark, black blob swarms, close to no healing available, etc) seem like they weren't even playtested. First hour of EoZ was amazing. After that, I hated it and decided to uninstall and watch it on YT.

But overall, a great experience. I'm excited to finally start RE8.

Frag Maniac

The base game is amazing. It has some rough stretches in the mid-early parts where you have just a pistol vs the black blobs. But the pure stealth horror before that and the more gun-heavy parts after are all really great, imo.

I thought the Molded in RE7 were poorly done in general. In the main house you can just retreat to a room and close the door and they de-spawn. Anywhere up to the caves at the end you can run past them because they're so slow. By the time you get to the caves you have tons of firepower to deal with them.

If you didn't like the Molded in RE7 due to struggling with them in spots, RE8 has some fairly tough Lycan to get past, but they added some cool features to deal with them, like stunning them by slashing sacks of nearby flour. There are heavily armored Lycans and even modified robot-like humans that are tougher though. I liked RE8 better because there were a lot of places you had to plan carefully what weapons to use, and some good stealth opportunities, but also places where you had to run like hell. Some of the boss battle areas are a bit cramped though.

Dr. Cheesesteak

If you didn't like the Molded in RE7 due to struggling with them in spots, RE8 has some fairly tough Lycan to get past, but they added some cool features to deal with them, like stunning them by slashing sacks of nearby flour. There are heavily armored Lycans and even modified robot-like humans that are tougher though. I liked RE8 better because there were a lot of places you had to plan carefully what weapons to use, and some good stealth opportunities, but also places where you had to run like hell. Some of the boss battle areas are a bit cramped though.
I thought the molded themselves were okay. I think just that short stretch before you get the shotgun, they're annoying, especially when it's 2v1. Really, regardless of your weapon, they're annoying in groups.

I know a lot of ppl (almost everyone I've talked to?) say the combat in RE8 is just better than RE7. Planning and tactics aside, I'm curious to see how it flows. I caught a brief scene in a stream when it was released and the player was in a corner and there were 3 werewolves just kinda hovering near him, not attacking, but still acting aggressive. Seemed like poor AI, not something scripted. But I didn't watch too long, to avoid spoilers.

Frag Maniac

I thought the molded themselves were okay. I think just that short stretch before you get the shotgun, they're annoying, especially when it's 2v1. Really, regardless of your weapon, they're annoying in groups.

I know a lot of ppl (almost everyone I've talked to?) say the combat in RE8 is just better than RE7. Planning and tactics aside, I'm curious to see how it flows. I caught a brief scene in a stream when it was released and the player was in a corner and there were 3 werewolves just kinda hovering near him, not attacking, but still acting aggressive. Seemed like poor AI, not something scripted. But I didn't watch too long, to avoid spoilers.

Well I did a full game video walkthrough of RE Village on Hardcore, and I thought the Lycans react plenty well enough on that difficulty mode. Maybe they were referring to lower difficulty modes. It's also nice that to a large degree you can be selective about how difficult it is by whether you tackle optional bosses or not. I did them all in my walkthrough, and it wasn't really ever a problem where ammo is concerned. It helps to use the corner porch post glitch on Moreau in the swamp if you play on Village of Shadows though, otherwise he can take over 40 min to beat. There's also a trick for making the waterwheel optional boss easier, as well as the flying creatures outside the castle. I think the only real annoyance many have combat wise is the cramped fight areas, which is the case for a couple of the Daughters, and both Lycan bosses.

Ridley Lockhart

As for the whole 'Redfield' twist... ugh. Had the guy actually looked like Chris, I think that I would have been more shocked and intrigued by his appearance. At the time, my thoughts were, 'is this Chris or someone pretending to be him?'. Maybe Not A Hero will change my feelings on this, I don't know, but I just remember feeling like it was a cheap way to try and shock people.
Lol there is a doppelganger among us! I also thought Redfield looked a little off in the game, from what I've seen. I don't want to keep looking for any and every opportunity to hate on RE3R but i will say briefly i don't like how they did Jill Valentine in 3Make, since you pointed that out with the guy who was supposed to be Chris Redfield but looks kinda SUS it can detract from the enjoyment some, so i just wanted to point that out.

Bought RE7 on release and started playing right away... After arriving at the main house with the Bakers my motivation to keep playing dropped completely, when I realized I had to hide from Jack. I like exploring in a game, not running and hiding.
Maybe I'll give it another chance later (in a few months...?), but at the moment... no thanks.
I have RE7 on Ps4 but never got to finish the game, and i don't have that console anymore.

Funny the part you mention is the same part i was at, the hiding, which is where i got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. I really want to finish the game and be able to move into RE8. I have some catching up to do.

Hey guys. Now that this game's been out a while and the dust has settled i figured id give my final thoughts. Iv played through it many times, got all the trophies, read all the files, iv pretty much experienced every thing the game has to offer. Ever since it's reveal this game has split the fanbase in a way iv never seen before, and leading up to it's release i was optimistic. But after playing it im so 50/50 on it. If you say anything bad on this game the first thing you get is " you just don't like the first person". Not at all, thats not the issue. My problem with RE7 is it's total abandoment of the lore. Capcom can sprinkle all the little trinklets in like broken shotguns, green herbs and pictures of the Arklay Mountains that they want, but i have to be honest. When i played RE7 i didnt feel like i was playing in the same world in which i explored the Trevor Mansion, witnessed Raccoon City blowing up, dealt with Nemesis, saved the world from Wesker or fought a giant C Virus dinosaur. I felt like i was playing a reboot. Yes the atmosphere was back, yes the horror was back, yes SOME classic RE tropes like exploration and puzzle's made a come back, but i didnt feel like i was playing a new chapter of the RE canon and that is a real problem.

The gameplay was fine. Playing the game wasn't torture as RE6 sometimes was. The exploration was fun, the combat was satisfying, and the files were welcome. The videotapes were a neat feature but they could have done so much more with it. Imagine finding a happy family tape of the Bakers before Eveline showed up. Jack and Margurites wedding day, Jack teaching Lucas to ride a bike, Margurite and Zoe baking a cake i dunno anything. Something to make you really feel for the Bakers and get you invested. But no we get one 3 minute cutscene with Jack Baker saying " free my family, please" . Dont get me wrong i felt sorry for the guy but Capcom could have done SO much more with this family, especially since the The Bakers are the stars of this game and are the only ones you really remember.

The level design was brilliant, the Baker house felt lived in, the detail was immense and i genuinly did get enjoyment in finding those dogheads while trying to avoid Jack. The swampy old house was fantastic Capcom! Lit only by candles, Margurite wandering around with her lantern, every creak put me on edge, it was great. Every location felt atmospheric and was done with great attention to detail ... theres just not enough of it. When you know what you're doing those dogheads can take you less than 20 minutes to get. I genuinly loved exploring the Baker house but i was left wanting more.

The Boss fights for the most part were good. The first fight with Mia where you lost your hand was genuinly frightening, Jack Baker with the chainsaw was easy but it was fun, Margurite was just a bullet sponge and Jacks final form did mess me up a few times. The end boss was pathetic, just blast away with your machine gun until Eveline drops you and then " Chris" drops you the weapon to finish her. I didnt die once in that fight. Fighting Tyrant, Birkin, Nemesis, Wesker etc i was intimidated. One wrong move and you were done. With Eveline we got a scripted, bullet sponge final boss that was a TOTAL waste.

Overall for me this game had a lot of good and a lot of bad. After Revelations 2 RE7 was not what i expected in the slightest, i always envisioned RE7 as a Jill game, with the world recovering from the C virus and maybe some Alex/ Natalia. RE7 wasn't a painful game to play and it did have some moments of brilliance, but i can't forgive it for totally abandoning the lore and ignoring previous unresolved stories. Hate RE5 and 6 all you want, but to me i felt like i was playing Resident Evil more than i did with RE7, and NOT because of the first person perspective.
As someone who detests spoilers and has not finished playing through RE7, i find your thesis here, or final thoughts kind of review very insightful. I'll still have to experience it myself.

It seems like We The Fans have expressed exactly what we desire from an RE game, and it's like Crapcom is going, "Well that's nice, however your opinion is dully noted and ignored."

We want zombies! Well, how about infected and possessed villagers instead with all kinds of shootouts like a Call Of Duty?

That first teaser for RE had me excited for some 28 Days Later style zombies. In the world of survival/horror RE style, the Crimson Heads a.k.a. V-Acts.

Top Bottom