• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can hand-holding be platonic?

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Okay, so my manager, a couple co-workers and I went out for drinks the other night and we had a really awesome time. But (or I, maybe, I'm a bit of a lightweight) we also had a lot to drink and sometime in the middle I vaguely noticed that my manager was holding my hand. I love my manager, he's like a big cuddly teddy bear and I had absolutely no problem with it because I know it was entirely platonic. But apparently one of the girls who were there never seems to be able to drop it... she's saying it was 'totally inappropriate' bleh blah blah and I'm getting frustrated with her always bringing it up. So I guess my question is - can holding hands be platonic or does it have to mean something as she's suggesting?

LordGolbez

You Were Drunk, Come On. Some People Like To Hold Hands While They Are Drunk, Some Laugh Alot, Some Get Redneck, It All Depends. If He Approches You And Says Something About Feelings Then It Means He Got Some "Liquid Courage" And Did Something He Didn't Think He Could Do, But Since You Know It Was Platonic Then It Was Just A Friendly Gesture. Some People Are Old-Fashioned And I Am To A Certain Extent, But Being Frank It's None Of Her Business And It Doesn't Have To Mean What She Is Insuinuating.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
To me I think it's platonic. It sounds like that little girl (She may be older than me, but I don't care. If she is acting like a little 6 year old and saying that holding hands is disgusting and I think she deserves to be called little girl) is a little bit jealous. If I were you I would just ignore her (It's been working for me for the past 6 years. No matter how many times a girl or a boy keeps on telling me or my little precious that the other is cheating then I just don't listen to them, besides they don't even have dates.).

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Thanks Golbez & Major! I think it might just be her looking for something to gossip about, I just hope she cuts it out soon. It just really ****es me off when people try to make something out of nothing.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
I hold hands with people all the time when I'm sober and it means nothing. Hand holding, hugging, cuddling, even kissing on the cheek and telling someone you love them - it can all be platonic, especially if you're comfortable with the person you're hanging with. People who can't let it go are people who have a limited vocabulary. You weren't at work - which is a huge stab at the "inappropriate" comment - and you were all getting a little tipsy; you know it meant nothing and your manager knows it meant nothing and that's all that matters.

Your co-worker is just a jealous twit. ;)

Mr Sunshine

Don't worry. Had it not been platonic and he would have gone for other parts of the body. Most drunk men would!

Anyway, I agree that it depends on the person. For me it's always non-platonic. Anyone who just wants to be my friend better keep his distance!

Which reminds me.. I tried to hold the hand of a girl this summer. She instantly backed out like she was hit by a thunder or something.. Why did I read this thread anyway? grrr

Meg

So bin ich eben
Even if you weren't drunk if you're close with some (as a friend of course XD) having them hold your hand shouldn't be THAT weird. I guess it depends on the person? I don't really know, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

wesker_awesome

After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
Your friend doesn't know what innapropriate is. I suppose she thinks thats gonna get you pregnate? You should tell this girl: what is and ins't innapropriate.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Here are so many good replies it's almost nothing left to say. :)
It was not inappropriate and I think your co-worker is jealous.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Unless someone relevant considered it inappropriate such as a wife/partner who would prefer that hand-holding etc was limited to exclusive relationships only then I don't see an issue. Now if I was holding some guy's hand, regardless of our friendship level, Steve would have something to say about it and the same would stand if it were the other way around - but only if the other person happened to be single; that's just us though, and it's not the same for everyone else. Married men I know hug, kiss and hold my hand all the time (well, you know what I mean!) and plenty of married women we know are the same with Steve so I have no issue there and no one else should either.

Like Magnolia says - you weren't at work, so where is the inappropriate activity??

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
^ Lol, it's true what you say, Angel. I'm friend with a married woman and I've never held her hand, but I say affectionate things and flirt with her as a joke. I'm single but both of us knows that it's only a joke. I wouldn't do it if it was not for the fact that she's married and almost twice as old as I am.

Bottom line is, if you want access to lots of people of the opposite sex, get married first. :p

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Inappropriate?
No.

Meaningless?
Probably not.

Though it is worth mentioning that I never knew a guy to hold a girls hand unless he had some thoughts going through his head. Just sayin'.

Top Bottom