• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 4 Best Version of RE4?

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Move compatibility.
What is that?

I've always heard that the PC version was the worst, but now I have forgot why. Did it have something to do with graphics? PC versions usually have better graphics but maybe RE4 is an exception. If keyboard+mouse was the problem, people could get a gamepad.

I got excited when I recently heard about RE4 HD, but I have read that not everyone likes it.

This quote of Bruno is an excerpt of his post in another thread:

RECVX HD and RE4 HD are actually not worthy if you have the games for PS2. The HD is not very well implemented, it actually looks worse in HD since the poor aspects of the game's visuals (textures, etc) are even more evident. You can buy them separately, so you could buy only RECVX HD if you don't have it for the PS2.

To answer this topic, I don't know which version I would like the most if I tried them all. But I'm very happy with my PS2 version.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Compatibility for the Playstation Move motion controller. It's like the Wii Remote but for the PS3. The Gold edition of RE5 added Move compatibility for the PS3 version if I remember correctly.
I didn't know that PS3 had a motion controller. But Xbox got Kinect so why should not Sony make a similar device.

HappyLeech

Queen of the tl;dr
Well, I've played it one the NGC, the Wii, and the PS3, and...I would go with the Wii version. I mean, I loved replaying it on the PS3, but I like the aiming better on the Wii :p
(But that's probably because I went and played RE4 on the PS3 after playing RE6, and I kept forgetting that the controls were different, lol )
It's just too bad the Wii version wasn't HD like the PS3 version....

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
Wii version for me, definitely. Not only do you have all the extras from the other ports but the aiming is just perfect. Such fond memories of playing that one!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Alriiiight... Have you ever played (or rather, tried to play) the PC version of RE4?? :confused: The sloppiness of the port is the reason I never finished that game.

potato

Of course i did if not i wouldn't be recommending.

It's been many years since the release and there has been big group of followers in the modding scene.

It runs great on modern PC.

The thing is those mods redid most of the textures & models, the size of the mods alone is as big as the dvd itself and even with current PC you might not be able to get 60fps after the mods.

A quote of myself:

"With Abert texture pack 2.0, Cerebus Enhanced Environment 1.5, Bloom/ENB, Cutscenes from HD ver., Mouse & Keyboard fix and a few HD skin makes the PC version of RE4 the Ultimate RE4 best of all worlds. But all these can cost you 6-8GBs of HDD space."

Alriiiight... Have you ever played (or rather, tried to play) the PC version of RE4?? :confused: The sloppiness of the port is the reason I never finished that game.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Yeah, mods might improve the graphics, but do they also fix the controls? Because that's my main issue with the PC port of RE4, not what it looks like. I downloaded the mouse patch, but Leon still turns way too slowly to aim properly before getting hurt. And there's the other problem that the game shows you controller keys during quick time events instead of keyboard keys, has that been fixed yet?

Fenris

Wolf :)
By far the Wii Version. The way they used the controls to shoot with the gun was genius and the graphics were slightly improved. I don't really like the PS2 version because at some points it looks pretty much like a bad PS2 port with no graphical improvments.

alonecrow

I never played the Wii version (since I don't have one), cannot install it on PC for some reason, so could only played it on PS2, so obviously I think the best version is the PS2. But reading a lot of good comments about the Wii version, I might try it one day.

Harry Sachz

Ancient Alien
Well, the PS2 version holds a special place, as that's the first one I played and in turn, my first ever playthrough of this epic game. Ah, the memories.

I never did play the GameCube version. My brother had it, but I never played it. I did later get a GameCube, but by that time, I had already owned the PS2 version and at the time, I didn't know there was any graphical difference, so I didn't bother with the GameCube version.

I played through the Wii version once, but only with the classic controller. I didn't bother with the motion aiming. Since the graphics were better than the PS2 version, I preferred this, but the HD port soon was released, so I got that and gave away my Wii game. The PS3 HD version is now my favorite way of playing it, simply for the fact it's in HD, so it doesn't have that slight blur non HD games tend to have on HD TVs, and the fact it's digital, so I don't have to deal with a disc.

Franky45ACP

I just bought the Xbox 360 version. I love that it is in HD. But the Wii version will always be my favorite. Love the controls and I've played it the most so that one has the most upgraded weapons etc.

black 93

wii version was the easiest cuz of the controls but after playin the HD version it looks really old. My favourites the hd version on ps3 partly because its HD and because its just convienent since i have 3 younger brothers that are always messin up my disks so its kinda cool knowin i have the nicest version safe on a hard drive , also played the ps2 version which looks like absoloute crap. Tho nothing is as terrible as the iphone version, wow that was an absoloute bitch to control

Sfamicom

Just got the new HD PC version of RE4. I think it may be the best that I've played. Textures look much better!

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Wii Edition is my version of choice. It has the pointer technology which really helps with aiming but offers support of the Classic/GameCube controller if you prefer it, it has the GameCube graphics, the PS2 extras, and while it may not boast HD graphics, Component video gets the job done on the right TV.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's a tie with the Wii and Xbox 360 for me. The Wii has the whole novelty of motion controls, and it's definitely fun to use, but the Xbox offers nicer visuals, classic controls with the best controller since the Gamecube, and of course, achievements.

Top Bottom