• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 *

Rusty

Kickass Stranger
This is more of a high tension panic game, not an eerie slow creepy one. Even then it depends on the difficulty. Now I won't say they're dumb, but some people start off on the easiest mode and expect to have it be a thrill-a-minute tension fest- that's not how it works. Since RE4 the series has tried implementing fear in a different way, tension. It's definitely more subtle, but just as effective. I mean, what more can they throw at us that we haven't already seen? They had had to try something new.
Now if you ask me, the licker hallway freaked me out, felt my heartbeat on that one. The harder difficulties, one or two lickers is sufficient enough to kill you, the huge-ass group in that hall? Please... Now don't make blank statements like "Unfortunately closest thing to being scary in the game and it's only false hope that makes it so." because other people had a different experience than you. You say it like a fact and it's not true; just a different method that works on some better than others. For example, the old stuff doesn't scare me or bother me, what does is Silent Hill, that game builds tension AND scares the crap outta you. The problem with RE is that it's not supernatural. It doesn't have an infinite list of ways to scare you. Tension is the next best thing, but even then, as your experience has displayed, it either doesn't work on you or you haven't played a hard enough difficulty level.
If you don't like it, it's just not your game. Stick to the classics if you prefer. No point in wasting time on a game that dissapoints you.

Die Zombie Die!

I didn't like the hall o' lickers, I tried my best to sneak past them but bloody Sheva ran right into one lol. They started piling up though and my shotgun did the rest :).

As for the original question, I'd love to see the old zombies coming back, just for old times sakes. Even if it's just an unlockable level or something.

EDIT: the scariest game i've ever played is a game called Condemned, anybody else on the '360 played it?

Feng-Hi

I'd agree in the consensus that this game is less a fright-fest and more of a high octane high tension thriller. I think that's the main difference between old and new RE games. They somehow have overly accepted the fact that people know what to expect and aren't as scared anymore. That said I think they need to re-introduce some real panty messing scaryness partway through to rekindle the old memories and feelings. I did feel in some places that this felt reminiscent of a Tomb Raider game but that may be progress and the overall similarity between games.

That said I can't complain with RE5, it's entertaining me!

MoleMan

Feng-Hi;28890 said:
I'd agree in the consensus that this game is less a fright-fest and more of a high octane high tension thriller. I think that's the main difference between old and new RE games. They somehow have overly accepted the fact that people know what to expect and aren't as scared anymore. That said I think they need to re-introduce some real panty messing scaryness partway through to rekindle the old memories and feelings. I did feel in some places that this felt reminiscent of a Tomb Raider game but that may be progress and the overall similarity between games.

That said I can't complain with RE5, it's entertaining me!

Tru dat. While its not exactly scary, those mofo lickers are crazy... I've been killed by them countless times on professional. Has anyone else noticed that the croc section in the marsh was pretty intense as well, trying not to get eaten alive. XD

Rusty

Kickass Stranger
Bagnol;28881 said:
I don't see anywhere that I said I didn't like the game, just that it's not scary like the series is known for. Being a high tension game didn't work for me because I'm used to running through tight hall ways with very little ammo but with this game it might as well be any other shooter for me. By the time I got to the licker part (on the hardest dificulty) I already had a magnum, grenade launcher, shotgun, sniper rifle, smg and some kind of mega hand gun with 50 or so bullets per magazine, hardly a tense situation after the classics. That being said I can see how it could be for others and really the post was about whether anyone else was just hoping to see a classic zombie remade for the fans of the originals, not whether anyone thought it was scary.

to Die Zombie Die! I have played it and i found it pretty scary, especially for an FPS which was probably because of -again- the lack of ammo they present to you.

Damn... all I had at that part was about ten handgun rounds, Sheva was spent, and I had fifteen shotgun rounds. I ran out when they came after me and most of them were still alive. I even chucked all my grenades and it still didn't kill them all. Then again though, if you want a tense experience, why do you carry all the loaded guns? Stick with a pistol and a machine gun or something. I haven't gone through a second playthrough, so I didn't have all that, and I only used the magnum on the level I got it on.

As for Condemned? Condemned bored me. Which one are you guys talking about? Criminal Origins or Bloodshot?

Die Zombie Die!

Criminal origins :D

I think the most scary thing in RE5 is the croc pond. The amount of times I ran out a bit, heard the music and then legged it back to safety LOL. I died inside when I found out there was more than 1 =[

Hoady

Man i hell want Re5 now even though i spoiled it all.I have been playing criminal origins again just recently it should even be on my gamertag thing but it looks like its down at the moment.I don't find it scary though there was a popup bit which made me poo everywhere and theres been times turning around and seeing a hideous man in my face ready to swing a burning 2 by 4 LOL.I'm hell keen for bloodshot i really wanna try that online.

The fighting in criminal origins is so brutal love it.

residentevil

Im not sure if they should have got rid of zombies in the first place. The enemies now are faster and more challenging. But Resident evil has always been zombies. I thought they would have put a few in. But i like the fact they put lickers in it. Shame Hunters werent though. Also the fact of how they don't have many puzzles in the first resident evil there were loads of puzzles and you had to actually work to figure them out. But now there are a few puzzles which in my opinion weren't challenging. One more thing is that the amount of weapons you have and the power of them. In the previous resident evil's (execpt 4) you had basically handgun, shotgun, grenade launcher and a random rocket launcher at the end. But now you have an arson of weapons. Ak47 i mean really is this really resident evil. All thoose "trigger happy" fools out there just go around shooting anything that moves and don't appreciate the storyline.

But I still thought it was a fantastic game and great for the fans.

chato

ya i wanted 2 see some of the old zombies in the game but hey, at least they put some lickers in there right... something from the old games came into play so i was happy to see them in there. The only thing was that i wish they would have done a cut-scene of the first licker like they did in part II. That would of been cool....

Godammlover

Die Zombie Die!;28791 said:
I didn't like the hall o' lickers, I tried my best to sneak past them but bloody Sheva ran right into one lol. They started piling up though and my shotgun did the rest :).

As for the original question, I'd love to see the old zombies coming back, just for old times sakes. Even if it's just an unlockable level or something.

EDIT: the scariest game i've ever played is a game called Condemned, anybody else on the '360 played it?

I found out that, even if you sneak past them successfully you've gotta kick that door down. That gets their attention D:

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
stab em' when there down to get an achievement! plus it kills em' instantly lol if you manage to get that close to one, they get up pretty fast it has to land next to you really haha.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
damn! 2k points is nothing. Ive got like 8k points but Im not saving for the handcanon, got my eyes on the hydra an the m93r lol. those two are 40k altogeater I think =(

Godammlover

Hah, well I might go on in a bit.
Me & This American lad I know, we did it for a night we raked about 40 - 50k points. Couple of hour.

madmark

The original resident evil was the only game I ever bought that scared the hell out of me. I wouldn't let my kids watch me play it. Figured if it scared me, they would get nightmares or something. The zombies in the original, imo, are the best.
I really miss the puzzles, too. The lazer puzzle in re5 is a joke.
overall I give RE5 a B- .

Top Bottom