• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your believe in "HIM"

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Angel;58430 said:
I don't believe in the whole literal 7 day creation thing either, to be honest. I see that as a symbolic thing used to make it easier for people to comprehend the creation of the world than an actual physical timeframe, but everyone's different :)
Well, to be fair, I don't think it was a literal seven days. Most of the Christians I talk to believe that while the Bible says 'days', it doesn't mean '24 hour days'. I've always been under the impression that these days actually span over several thousands or millions of years.

Anyway, I would love to be able to be a Christian or to have some kind of faith, but I just... don't. I've actually been thinking about death alot since Michael Jackson died, and I would love to be able to believe in an afterlife but I just can't. In my hard of hearts, I kinda know that there's nothing there. I think religion and faith is great because of how much it comforts people, but I have such a hard time buying it, as much as I actually want to.

Hoady

La Femme Fatale;58440 said:
Anyway, I would love to be able to be a Christian or to have some kind of faith, but I just... don't. I've actually been thinking about death alot since Michael Jackson died, and I would love to be able to believe in an afterlife but I just can't. In my hard of hearts, I kinda know that there's nothing there. I think religion and faith is great because of how much it comforts people, but I have such a hard time buying it, as much as I actually want to.

Well i wish life was just simpler in other words i wasn't crammed with so much information already by this society so i could easily believe in an afterlife.In other words wouldn't it have been easier to think when"the stars are just holes into heaven".Christianity is good because it does keep plenty of people on the right path but i can't believe in it either, i think jesus was awesome but i believe many of his words/sermons have been misinterpreted majorly.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
There was like 7 quotes in that posts haha, been awhile since Ive seen that many. Actually I think thats the first time Ive seen that many.

God apparently works in mysterious ways. He is also a little voice in your head telling you to do the right thing..

I dont even know if thats true though, but I like to think it is.

Ive not been to church for along time, I cant sit there in a hall listening to one guy or gal talk about something there not 100% sure about. Even if it is being read from the good book. the religion Ive been rasied/forced to beleave .. well seeing as I was always forced as a kid It's never seemed clear to me.

But one day we will all find out what really is out there, after death. and I honestly pray to god I dont end up in hell because if that place excists... then to hell with that damnation.

Sometimes I think I'm already in hell haha but it's just people being mean, people that will probaly end up in hell..

Pfft. this is what I mean when I say I dont know lol.

Hoady

Well apparently you get a 1000 years in heaven first then you go to hell.Hell would be more exciting anyway there'd be rock and roll beasts,dragons and ****.With your wicked muscles echoey you would just blow the devil away, everytime you tense your pecks you kill a thousand demons.

echoey

Jupiter Jazz
I dont know how you think of this stuff man but your a legend either way. xD
Damn, you should hear about my last night out man I missed a 4 vs 20 brawl encounter, well 5 vs 20 if Id of been there... but I got kicked out the club early an went home lol.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Selenatripox;56719 said:
I don't know how to Multi-Quote.
Click the [+] button beside the ordinary quote button. Click the [+] button in every post you want to quote. Finally click the [Post reply] button on the bottom of the page.

Also, just replying "I disagree" is not promoting discussion. I think most of us would like to know why something is disagreed on. :)

La Femme Fatale;56723 said:
What's interesting about Buddhism is that (contrary to popular belief), there isn't a God figure - so, no, you aren't required to pray to a statue of Buddha; it's more of a 'take what you need' religion.
Interesting, I didn't know that. If the statue of Buddha does not represent a deity, what does it represent? I do like Buddha statues, they look funny haha.

La Femme Fatale;56723 said:
I think it is very nice sounding, but I wonder what happens to all the souls of the little beatles and monkeys should there be a nuclear apocalypse or something to that effect.
Lol? First it sounded like a joke but maybe it was not. I guess the same would happen to everyone who died, but in the event of a large nuclear war with massive global radiation insects would inherit the earth.
I had not thought about this before and it's interesting, according to Buddhism people can be reincarnated as beetles and rolling stones and the smallests of insects? It sounds a bit weird...

Angel;58427 said:
Wow I've been away a long time to have missed this little gem of a thread - to be honest, it's the first one on one of our forums that hasn't degenerated into an all-out flame war so that makes a nice change :)
Can you believe this is really happening? Out of all topics it was a discussion on religion that became a gem instead of a flame war? :lol:

Angel;58427 said:
As for me, I don't like religion. Never have, never will. Religion is man-made with man-made rules and a convenient excuse for causing all kinds of trouble in "the name of God", be that blowing up buildings, torturing/murdering doctors who perform abortions or refusing to allow another religious group the right to worship/conduct their lives the way they believe they ought to.
We have come a long way since that was the standard. There are still many exceptions, but those are extremists and no longer typical.
You can say the world is bad, and it really is bad, but it's not as bad as it looks like. It's the bad that makes headlines, and thanks to the TV we get all the evil that is happening into our living room.

Angel;58427 said:
I prefer faith over religion any day.
Strangely I combine the two... :p

ChrisRedfield1994;58429 said:
I don't believe in any God whatsoever.
I honestly don't.
I respect people who follow their religions, I honestly do.
But I find it hard to believe that a deity formed the universe, and reality in 7 days.
There's alot of things in the Bible that in my opinion should not be taken literally. I think very few educated Christians believes that the world was created in 7 days and that Adam and Eve was created in the Garden of Eden about at the same time.

ChrisRedfield1994;58429 said:
I only believe that (in my own words) life is like a scripted event. We can't do anything about it. Fate is uncontrollable by anything and anyone.
Science is what I believe in.
How can you believe in fate if science is what you believe in? Isn't 'fate' closely connected to religion?

Fayrra;58432 said:
Now do you see why it is more logical to believe in the big bang rather than god?
Why is the Big Bang irreconcilable with God? The Big Bang contradicts the Bible, but I do believe that the Bible contradicts God on more than one instance, as already mentioned.

-- To explain more I'll add a quote of myself at the end of this post.

Fayrra;58432 said:
As I'm sure it's clear, I'll openly state that I'm an atheist. Someone who takes the logical and neutral stance of god not existing.
I'm sorry, to deny God is perhaps logical but it's not neutral.

Fayrra;58432 said:
Also, I'll have to give some credit to Redneckboy, I used a statement that he once wrote as a base for this.
Who is Redneckboy? He's not one of our members, is he?

As a Christian I disagree on much of what you say, but you had some good points. I give you credit for that.

La Femme Fatale;58440 said:
Aw.. I wish I could help you there. At least you don't have a negative attitude against religion and I appreciate that.
Was MJ religious?

Captain Courageous;58634 said:
Well apparently you get a 1000 years in heaven first then you go to hell.Hell would be more exciting anyway there'd be rock and roll beasts,dragons and ****.With your wicked muscles echoey you would just blow the devil away, everytime you tense your pecks you kill a thousand demons.
Off to Hell but first a thousand years in Heaven? Is that some kind of reverse purgatory you have to go through before Satan is willing to welcome you? :p
I have never heard that before.

echoey;58636 said:
Damn, you should hear about my last night out man I missed a 4 vs 20 brawl encounter, well 5 vs 20 if Id of been there... but I got kicked out the club early an went home lol.
Lol, you were lucky to be kicked out. 20 against 4 or 5 is not fair game. Methinks they needs a guiding light, religion perhaps...

I risk repeating myself, but I'm now quoting myself:
Romero;55722 said:

So, what if God set off the Big Bang? What if the Big Bang is part of God? The thing is, we humans can't possibly know what God is. God is something we don't understand. I believe in God (or a higher power if you will), but I can't explain God. I don't think Christianity can give a scientific definition either.
I do believe in science too and I see no conflict in believing in both. Of course I don't believe everything of what's in the Bible, holy or not- the Bible is a man made book.
^ To Fayrra, but also to everyone else.

Hoady

Angel;58427 said:
As for me, I don't like religion. Never have, never will. Religion is man-made with man-made rules and a convenient excuse for causing all kinds of trouble in "the name of God", be that blowing up buildings, torturing/murdering doctors who perform abortions or refusing to allow another religious group the right to worship/conduct their lives the way they believe they ought to.

Perfect way to sum it up.. its all man made and reason why i don't agree with any of it.Humans think they know everything and are so smart because we have no other knowledge to contend with except our own.I usually think of animals and how they add up in religion..with religion the idea perceived is that humans are the greatest and we get into the heaven..

We're greedy,destroy the planet and kill each other.Animals only take what they need to stay alive.Reason being?Humans are the only animals that think, its very handy used right but its constantly used unnecessarily and is deadly, think of all the wars we've had.. they came out of reason whether it was for the gods or for plain greed.

Prove me wrong if you like but then you have only proved what i've just said.Arguing is just throwing other mental concepts and beliefs into each other,they mean nothing.

Romero;58736 said:
Off to Hell but first a thousand years in Heaven? Is that some kind of reverse purgatory you have to go through before Satan is willing to welcome you? :p
I have never heard that before.

I've definately heard it or read it somewhere.God apparently lets you into heaven for a 1000 years because hes nice but then you get sent to hell for eternity.. lol its a pretty harsh bargain man because once your in heaven for a 1000 years your going to be really softened up by the time your in hell.

echoey;58636 said:
I dont know how you think of this stuff man but your a legend either way. xD

Maybe god got you the **** out of there haha.I've been mobbed by about 10 people once i just stood there and took hits for nearly a minute but i was so outrageously drunk it wasn't even that painful, when they stopped i didn't say a word i just walked away.It was pretty pathetic man there was a crowd of about 15 people behind me just staring,never rely on anyone to help you out.Come morning though my face was in agony moving my jaw felt like i had been chewing rocks all night lol but it cleared up really quick.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Well I've been a Christian for..oooh..about 22 years now and whilst during that time I have wandered off and done my own thing for whatever reasons, ultimately I have always returned because nothing and no one can convince me God does not exist. I have experienced too much to the contrary to disbelieve in Him and whilst my experiences would not convince anyone else, I am sure, they are enough for me.

Tried very hard not to believe in God but it was something of a wasted effort. I have no interest really in how the world was made or whether our ancestors raced dinosaurs or whatever - all I'm interested in is living my life the best way I can and enjoying it so that I don't waste my days getting stressed over evolution, genetics, ancestry, symbolism, mythology, cake mix and whatever else people seem to delight in arguing over these days. People misunderstand, misinterpret and misjudge no matter what you say/do so the intellectual arguments about beliefs/religions have long since bored me. Most people online seem to get their information about beliefs and religion from Wikipedia, for goodness sakes, so it's not as if it's particularly reliable anyway...

Fayrra

Schrodinger's Cat
Romero;58736 said:
Why is the Big Bang irreconcilable with God? The Big Bang contradicts the Bible, but I do believe that the Bible contradicts God on more than one instance, as already mentioned.
I never said they were, and never said they weren't. I was simply inferring that if you only believe in one or the other (as the creator of the universe), it is much more logical to believe in the Big Bang.
Romero;58736 said:
I'm sorry, to deny God is perhaps logical but it's not neutral.

Actually, I meant to say "logical and default stance." But regardless the default stance can be considered the nuetral stance depending on context.

The two are connected. Logically, since there is no credible basis to any claim that god exists, one would adopt the default (nuetral) stance of him not existing. Which is the original stance or mind set. No god has been proven, there is no reason to assume that he exists until a claim that he does is made. And those claims are based off of nothing credible. Another batch of basic logic, 'tis is. Therefore, that is what I describe as the logical and neutral (it would have been better described as default, however) stance of my atheism (and most others).

I'll warn you now, though. If we continue this argument about neutral it will only lead to semantics. I'm simply saying that it is the logical stance. And because it is logical the original base view point to take, would be god not existing: Atheism.

Also, lol. I'm going to have to give some credit to Miburo, I used one statement that he made as a base for the second set of words. Basically what I did was take the main logic of the statement, and applied it to this discussion (same with the other statement). So it wasn't a direct copy.

Romero;58736 said:
Who is Redneckboy? He's not one of our members, is he?
I don't think so. He's from another forum. A forum that has quite a few highly intelligent people. Very intelligent.
Romero;58736 said:
As a Christian I disagree on much of what you say, but you had some good points. I give you credit for that.
lol. Thank you. However, it seems that you already agree that atheism is more logical, and you believe in most of science (simply a conjecture). So right there, already you agree with about 80% of what I said. The main thing you don't agree on is the lack of belief in god. I'd say we agree on majority of things, though.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Hoady;58800 said:
Prove me wrong if you like but then you have only proved what i've just said.Arguing is just throwing other mental concepts and beliefs into each other,they mean nothing.
You sounded like a philosopher there.

Hoady;58800 said:
I've definately heard it or read it somewhere.God apparently lets you into heaven for a 1000 years because hes nice but then you get sent to hell for eternity..
The Christianity that I know does not say that, and I didn't take it too seriously (this is first time I hear it). But some do perhaps actually believe that and to them it's deadly serious of course. Perhaps it's Islam that says that, Allah is the same god as the Christians God.

Hoady;58800 said:
I've been mobbed by about 10 people once i just stood there and took hits for nearly a minute but i was so outrageously drunk it wasn't even that painful, when they stopped i didn't say a word i just walked away.
That is horrible man. But you handled it the same way as I would do. I don't do fights, problems are not solved that way.

Angel;58804 said:
Well I've been a Christian for..oooh..about 22 years now and whilst during that time I have wandered off and done my own thing for whatever reasons, ultimately I have always returned because nothing and no one can convince me God does not exist. I have experienced too much to the contrary to disbelieve in Him and whilst my experiences would not convince anyone else, I am sure, they are enough for me.
So you ARE a Christian. When you said you hated religion I thought you were an atheist. But you are older than 22 which means you've not been a Christian all your life. You were baptized as kid and not as infant? Was it your choice and not your parents choice then?
I have also seen too much proof to not believe.

Angel;58804 said:
Most people online seem to get their information about beliefs and religion from Wikipedia, for goodness sakes, so it's not as if it's particularly reliable anyway...
Ha, sometimes it seems as Wikipedia has replaced all other sources of knowledge. It's only about as reliable as the least reliable contributor...

Fayrra;58822 said:
However, it seems that you already agree that atheism is more logical, and you believe in most of science (simply a conjecture). So right there, already you agree with about 80% of what I said. The main thing you don't agree on is the lack of belief in god. I'd say we agree on majority of things, though.
My default stance was that the Bible is true. But I have to believe in science when it can prove someting. I am however not convinced that there was a Big Bang, but if it's proved then I'll have to adapt my religious belief to it. I'll still be a Christian.

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
Romero;58837 said:
So you ARE a Christian. When you said you hated religion I thought you were an atheist. But you are older than 22 which means you've not been a Christian all your life. You were baptized as kid and not as infant? Was it your choice and not your parents choice then?
I get that a lot - people assume that because I don't like religion, I must not believe in anything or I hate God or whatever. I made my choice to become Christian at 5 years old because my dad told me God would give me what I asked for - and I wanted a bike :lol: Later on in life I understood what he was getting at but it took a bit of convincing after that bike failed to materialise the following morning after my conversion... :lol:

Baptism as an infant doesn't make you a Christian any more than visiting a Mosque makes you a Muslim. I was baptised through choice at 14 and wasn't christened as a baby or anything like that. Christening/infant baptism is not Biblical - it sprang out of the high infant mortality rate from days gone by and parents wanting to ensure their children went to heaven should they die young. Priests cashing in on this had a lot to do with it as well ;) Anywho, it has no foundation in the Bible whatsoever but I suppose it's a nice thing to do and a good way of celebrating your child's birth.

My parents were Christians (they've since given up for a variety of reasons) and whilst they raised me the God Squad way, it has always been my choice to follow or not to follow. I've tried both and I prefer following :)

Hoady

Romero;58837 said:

You sounded like a philosopher there.

Thats how i feel man,words are just a humans way to identify with things in reality those words have no meaning with the world.Try looking at a tree without calling it anything...its something entirely different.Lol that probably makes me sound weird but all i'm refering to is living for the present moment.

The Christianity that I know does not say that, and I didn't take it too seriously (this is first time I hear it). But some do perhaps actually believe that and to them it's deadly serious of course. Perhaps it's Islam that says that, Allah is the same god as the Christians God.

Yeah thats probably right then...so pretty much you die,go to heaven,be judged and then sent to heaven or hell?

That is horrible man. But you handled it the same way as I would do. I don't do fights, problems are not solved that way.

Yeah unless your bruce lee you'd have to be a moron to try take on that amount of people.If its an unarmed beating usually you have nothing to worry about,people might have something against you but they don't want to kill you...unless they happen to have weapons then its best to bail lol.

Angel;58804 said:
Tried very hard not to believe in God but it was something of a wasted effort. I have no interest really in how the world was made or whether our ancestors raced dinosaurs or whatever - all I'm interested in is living my life the best way I can and enjoying it so that I don't waste my days getting stressed over evolution, genetics, ancestry, symbolism, mythology, cake mix and whatever else people seem to delight in arguing over these days..
Theres a quote:Your not living if you spend your time trying to find the meaning of life.

I like your philosophy lol

Top Bottom