• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Wesker's Voice.

Which VA do you like better?

• Total voters

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
It was memorable, like most of the others, Barry, and the rest of the gang.

His role in RE1 was probably his best. I wish they had left him dead there, TBH. Still keeping the stuff with Birkin, their friendship, all of that stuff with Marcus, everything leading up to RE0 & RE1, that's be great, but I'd find it perfectly satisfactory for them to leave him dead after the Tyrant attack.

You also mentioned him as the cocky leader of STARS, having very human emotions and flaws. He was a great character, and those things are absent from his RE5 counterpart.

It's like a totally different character.

But think about it...the virus changed him...i mean i doubt he even has the same mind he had ten years earlier in Racoon...

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
It was memorable, like most of the others, Barry, and the rest of the gang.

His role in RE1 was probably his best. I wish they had left him dead there, TBH. Still keeping the stuff with Birkin, their friendship, all of that stuff with Marcus, everything leading up to RE0 & RE1, that's be great, but I'd find it perfectly satisfactory for them to leave him dead after the Tyrant attack.

You also mentioned him as the cocky leader of STARS, having very human emotions and flaws. He was a great character, and those things are absent from his RE5 counterpart.

It's like a totally different character.

Exactly! I can honestly say that it wouldn't have hurt my feelings a bit if he'd actually died. Just goes to show that the game makers don't always know what they're doing.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Exactly! I can honestly say that it wouldn't have hurt my feelings a bit if he'd actually died. Just goes to show that the game makers don't always know what they're doing.

Bringing him back, I wouldn't say it was a mistake necessarily, as I enjoyed him all the way up to RE4, but if bringing him back includes UC & RE5, then I'm not onboard.

I almost feel like they only brought him back because of the potential for a Matrix-like character. I mean, just in general, he reminded me of Agent Smith in ways. Speaking for instance. He had the glasses already. They added in superhuman strenght and agility.

@Kennedy, the virus did change him, but the changes I'm talking about, are the major changes made, much later on. I mean, he had the virus already by CVX, and going into RE4. UC & RE5 are the games where his character changed even more. That can be attributed to the virus. That's just how they changed his character, into something that he wasn't.

This late in the series, this late in the character's life(he was 38 by RE1, and 44 by RE4), was just unnecessary, and unnacceptable.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Kennedy, the virus did change him, but the changes I'm talking about, are the major changes made, much later on. I mean, he had the virus already by CVX, and going into RE4. UC & RE5 are the games where his character changed even more. That can't be attributed to the virus. That's just how they changed his character, into something that he wasn't.
I believe "can't" is what you meant and I agree completely - especially considering that the Umbrella Chronicles was supposed to be a retelling of the events of Resident Evil Zero and 1.

For his apperances after the first Resident Evil it wasn't, for me at least, that the voices provided didn't have potential it was more like me being peeved with the writers. It was like: "Let's bring him back, change his character, make him know everything, put him in a Matrix costume and change his nationality just for good measure." There were just too many changes in my opinion. It was like he was a completely different character.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I believe "can't" is what you meant and I agree completely - especially considering that the Umbrella Chronicles was supposed to be a retelling of the events of Resident Evil Zero and 1.

For his apperances after the first Resident Evil it wasn't, for me at least, that the voices provided didn't have potential it was more like me being peeved with the writers. It was like: "Let's bring him back, change his character, make him know everything, put him in a Matrix costume and change his nationality just for good measure." There were just too many changes in my opinion. It was like he was a completely different character.

Ha...my typos, they don't happen too often, it's like a UFO sighting.:) Yes, I meant, "can't".

My thoughts exactly. The changes in UC were pretty bad, you know, going back before he had the virus. UC was pretty bad in general though, as far as the story went. They didn't even acknowledge Barry's existence in those chapters, but that's another story.

The voice change was...odd to say the least. I mean, nobody from the original has ever returned to voice their characters. Characters like Chris, Jill, Barry, Becca though, have all stayed pretty similar to their original voice.

Wesker certainly had the biggest changes. I think the faux brit thing that Waugh did was far more acceptable than the angry british, raspy, overthetop, fake sounding voice that Douglas did. Basically, Waugh still sounded american, but emphasized words in such a way, to almost give off a hint of british.

His coming back though, was completely unnecessary. Really, that makes the series as a whole, so much mroe unrealistic. RE is pretty farfetched as it is, but...IDK.

They definately went out of their way, to come up with something for his comeback, that's for certain.

Ooooh, my where to start where to start. So many debates, so many directions. Ok, i'll start with the original topic question. I voted for Waugh. I love his dark crisp cold voice with the perfect dash of an English accent. And while I didn't care for DC in UC he definately did a fine job in RE5 for what he had. I guess it helps that I love the fact that he's a respectable actor that has respect for Wesker's previous actors and love for his character instead of just doing this as a job. But I definately love Waugh the best.

Now onward...Umm his character, yeah it mainly sucked. Didn't like him in most of UC and didn't like most of his behavior in 5, he definately had some moments and there are some things I liked about RE5 and UC Wesker, but overall Id much rather the "old" Wesker.

One of the things that bother me the most about his new character is the take over the world and im a god crap. You see, to me, Wesker was just business, and he had a love for bioengineering like Willaim, which is one of the reasons they were originally so close in the first place. To just stick him with the generic "Take over the world" gimmick is just blasphamy and an excuse to rush the death of a guy they made the mistake of making too intelligent and strong the kill by normal means. The original Wesker would have never made the mistakes he made in 5.

Yeah, Wesker was stealing samples and gathering everything, but that doesn't mean he was trying to take over the world. Ada is in these organizations, doesn't mean she's trying to be queen of England, she's just trying to get her next paycheck, Fredrick Downing wasn't trying to take over the world, but he was a backstaber and responsible for the loss of lives just like Wesker.

I think i've said enough for one post, if you guys even made it through all of that. Lol, i'll shut up now.

Ok just one more thing for now.
I love em too much to feel that way, but that's how I sometimes feel about the way DBZ was originally suppose to end. Kakarot killed Frieza at the end of the Frieza saga but didn't make it off the planet in time. Piccolo died which means Vegeta and everyone else stays dead. It's almost perfect, and while I love the following sagas I sometimes think that this may have been better than everyone and there grandmama becoming Super Saijin.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ooooh, my where to start where to start. So many debates, so many directions. Ok, i'll start with the original topic question. I voted for Waugh. I love his dark crisp cold voice with the perfect dash of an English accent. And while I didn't care for DC in UC he definately did a fine job in RE5 for what he had. I guess it helps that I love the fact that he's a respectable actor that has respect for Wesker's previous actors and love for his character instead of just doing this as a job. But I definately love Waugh the best.

Now onward...Umm his character, yeah it mainly sucked. Didn't like him in most of UC and didn't like most of his behavior in 5, he definately had some moments and there are some things I liked about RE5 and UC Wesker, but overall Id much rather the "old" Wesker.

One of the things that bother me the most about his new character is the take over the world and im a god crap. You see, to me, Wesker was just business, and he had a love for bioengineering like Willaim, which is one of the reasons they were originally so close in the first place. To just stick him with the generic "Take over the world" gimmick is just blasphamy and an excuse to rush the death of a guy they made the mistake of making too intelligent and strong the kill by normal means. The original Wesker would have never made the mistakes he made in 5.

Yeah, Wesker was stealing samples and gathering everything, but that doesn't mean he was trying to take over the world. Ada is in these organizations, doesn't mean she's trying to be queen of England, she's just trying to get her next paycheck, Fredrick Downing wasn't trying to take over the world, but he was a backstaber and responsible for the loss of lives just like Wesker.

I think i've said enough for one post, if you guys even made it through all of that. Lol, i'll shut up now.

Ok just one more thing for now.

I love em too much to feel that way, but that's how I sometimes feel about the way DBZ was originally suppose to end. Kakarot killed Frieza at the end of the Frieza saga but didn't make it off the planet in time. Piccolo died which means Vegeta and everyone else stays dead. It's almost perfect, and while I love the following sagas I sometimes think that this may have been better than everyone and there grandmama becoming Super Saijin.

Note: What you said about Wesker some is good others not some much, but i gave it a like for the DBZ comment lol...

Lol, thanks. DBZ was awsome, but sometimes I couldn't help but think..."So what's his powerlevel now?...Wasn't the Supersaiyan suppose to be a hard to acheive once in 2 thousand year thing?"

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Lol, thanks. DBZ was awsome, but sometimes I couldn't help but think..."So what's his powerlevel now?...Wasn't the Supersaiyan suppose to be a hard to acheive once in 2 thousand year thing?"

Lol i thought the same thing...but i also had a theory that was never really touched in the show, but makes sense to me when it comes to how to become a super sayian...

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
To be honest, voice acting in video games is not really something I ever gave alot of thought to or really cared that much about. I mean, unless you sound like Richard Simmons or are otherwise turning the character into something he or she should never be then I'm not too concerned. I honestly can't really tell the difference between Waugh and Douglas, I think the only really distinguishable voice actor for Wesker was the crazy fella who voiced him in the very first game. For the sake of this poll though, I'm going to go with Douglas, if just for that brilliant Palin music video he made. I gotta back my fello libs (although I don't know where Waugh leans, I just loved that whole Palin thing). :p

Lol i thought the same thing...but i also had a theory that was never really touched in the show, but makes sense to me when it comes to how to become a super sayian...

Not sure what you mean? :confused:

To be honest, voice acting in video games is not really something I ever gave alot of thought to or really cared that much about. I mean, unless you sound like Richard Simmons or are otherwise turning the character into something he or she should never be then I'm not too concerned. I honestly can't really tell the difference between Waugh and Douglas, I think the only really distinguishable voice actor for Wesker was the crazy fella who voiced him in the very first game. For the sake of this poll though, I'm going to go with Douglas, if just for that brilliant Palin music video he made. I gotta back my fello libs (although I don't know where Waugh leans, I just loved that whole Palin thing). :p

Sounds interesting. Would you mind posting a link to the video you're talking about?

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Not sure what you mean? :confused:

See Saiyans had their own planet...and on that planer there was only a Super Saiyan once every 2,000 years...and i'm supposing that a Legendary Super Saiyan, like Broly if you've ever seen the Broly movies, was even rarer...but that was on their own planet, under the circumstances and weather/atmosphereic conditions...Maybe earth somehow speeds up the process because the planet is different chemicaly

See Saiyans had their own planet...and on that planer there was only a Super Saiyan once every 2,000 years...and i'm supposing that a Legendary Super Saiyan, like Broly if you've ever seen the Broly movies, was even rarer...but that was on their own planet, under the circumstances and weather/atmosphereic conditions...Maybe earth somehow speeds up the process because the planet is different chemicaly

Ohhhh, yeah. That's not a bad theory. They never bothered to explain anything though. They didn't even say how present Trunks became a ssj. But I guess a good long series isn't a good long serious without a thousand plot holes. :(

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Ohhhh, yeah. That's not a bad theory. They never bothered to explain anything though. They didn't even say how present Trunks became a ssj. But I guess a good long series isn't a good long serious without a thousand plot holes. :(

SSJ...sorry but i'm behind i guess...whats that stand for?

aoshi

I think Richard waugh was the one who voiced in 4 and think he did a better job than voice actor of 5. Voice acting in 5 made him souind over-confident ,especially in lines such as "I will jus have to kill you quickly" and "I am not destroying the world , I am saving it". Voice acting in 4 sounded professional which is the character i liked in 4.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I think Richard waugh was the one who voiced in 4 and think he did a better job than voice actor of 5. Voice acting in 5 made him souind over-confident ,especially in lines such as "I will jus have to kill you quickly" and "I am not destroying the world , I am saving it". Voice acting in 4 sounded professional which is the character i liked in 4.

Over confidanice...i.e. Arogance...was a Wesker thing even in RE1 though...so if youre saying he made the character sound overconfidant then he did the character well...

Top Bottom