• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 THE Mercenaries Thread

benfen

Leon fan
RE 4 is definitley a LOT easier to me. Just a few hours ago I played it for the first time in more than a year and got 92K on Village with HUNK (Wii, not used to it, can't use nunchuck. Was getting 5K until Seb pulled out a classic controller). I fins HUNK to be more effective than just about everybody on every stage but Waterworks. He sucks at waterworks. And maybe Castle. He's a beast at Castle but Wesker is about equal.

For HUNK bosses are a big problem, except if you're on Village. Then you have neckbreaker to take care of them (bella sisters). You never run out of TMP ammo if you keep the killfeed up, and if you don't, there A. grenades and B. one shot neckbreak. As long as you can consistently get every time up on the stage to start, you're home and hosed. My best ever score is 160,000 on Village as HUNK.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
With leon , Efficiency lies in using hand gun effectively cuz there is a lot of hand gun ammo. But with bosses shot gun and grenades are effective. To keep the combo going hand gun should be sufficient. I say this cuz i have had combos to 35 and more with leon. I don't doubt your abilities. I jus found RE 4 less irritating while collecting ammo and items which is an important objective in story mode. I followed the same strategy in mercenaries as well which helped. But in RE 5 I get hit while collecting items in the area which is annoying. I know that we are not open while collecting items but while collecting combo bonuses and even sometimes on items i get hit. RE 5 Mercenaries has been one of most annoying experiences after Dante must die mode of devil may cry 3 to me.

Being open adds to the challenge, as well as the inventory situation. True, in story mode its nice to have a large inventory, bit that was one of those things that I thought RE4 did to kind of spoil players while they ditched the 6 slot inventory system from previous (and following) games. Along with ammo showing up after you kill every zombie and boxes and stuff... There was more of a sense of developing conservation strategies in earlier games, and that was one of my favorite aspects about them. There was more of an urgency to save what you have because it would be hard enough to survive anyway. Not to mention the fact that 4 and 5 gave this new autosave feature which also takes away from the struggle. If one can simply press continue, where is the need to save? But I'm getting a little off topic i think lol. Thirty some odd combo is a start. I know in RE 5 as long as you can get a 50 combo you generally don't have to worry about not getting an S. I wonder of this is the same for RE 4 relative to getting 5 stars?

RE 4 is definitley a LOT easier to me. Just a few hours ago I played it for the first time in more than a year and got 92K on Village with HUNK (Wii, not used to it, can't use nunchuck. Was getting 5K until Seb pulled out a classic controller). I fins HUNK to be more effective than just about everybody on every stage but Waterworks. He sucks at waterworks. And maybe Castle. He's a beast at Castle but Wesker is about equal.

For HUNK bosses are a big problem, except if you're on Village. Then you have neckbreaker to take care of them (bella sisters). You never run out of TMP ammo if you keep the killfeed up, and if you don't, there A. grenades and B. one shot neckbreak. As long as you can consistently get every time up on the stage to start, you're home and hosed. My best ever score is 160,000 on Village as HUNK.

I thought HUNK was awesome on the water level :). If I remember correctly I was able to take out the bosses with one clip from the TMP and half the time it was from across the map, which I love because that chainsaw scares me lol.

I liked Wesker too, but I've always been fond of him lol. I found that, after Krauser, Wesker was the easiest to get 5 stars with, followed closely by HUNK then Ada and lastly Leon.

aoshi

I dont understand why i have to think to take items i earn as it is already earned if available to be taken. I don't think there should be a sense of urgency in collecting items as point is proven that majini has been defeated. I liked how RE 4 allows you to take items so quickly with no animations. Animations of picking up items only slow the pace of the game.

RE 4 Inventory is a different challenge compared to RE 5. I agree that conservation was focussed in RE5 but i think it was stingy compared to enemies that it threw. I found so much magnum ammo yet i could not collect it as my inventory was full. Why conserve when you can earn ammo. Sometimes i found chris ran out of ammo and found ammo for weapons i found less use. Example : grenade launcher. I think grenade launcher is used to take out multiple targets when swarmed at once. But wat if the situation does not arise. Or I could wait for the swarm and find a sweet spot to take them out. I have not found such sweet spots yet but if thats the intention to a smaller inventory, I guess i have to get used to it. But RE 4 inventory was not a spolier. Challenge lied in placing larger weapons like sniper rifle, Mine thrower along with auxilairy items like grenades, scopes . In fact i have equiped seven weapons including rocket launcher with auxiliary items such as scopes and grenades. It was jus sufficient to take out bosses like Salazar, IT guy without rocket launcher on PRO. RE 4 was not an easy game with spoilers. It was a fair challenge and less stingy.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I have to respectfully disagree. RE4 and RE5 pose any challenge (except for some grinding on Mercs) whereas earlier games took me sufficient effort and problem solving.

benfen

Leon fan
I find RE 4 to be the most challenging and, if you know me, challenging video games are my forte.

Back to mercs. The way I play is to get that one high score, not a 5 star. I wanna get that one score that means heaps, not many medium scores. I'd rather drone through 500 games of 10K score to get that one 200K gem than consistently pull off 100K's. Just wanna explain that to you. That's also why I drop the Samurai Edge, it's epic. Really good. But the Hydra pulls out even more power, you just need A. Skill to get up close and B. Luck to get the pellets to fly into subsequent enemies so I get most kills per shot (as in, every enemy gets just enough to kill, the rest go to a diffrent one.)

For HUNK vs. Bosses, he usually has to stand still to unload his bullets into them, immobility is a sin. All that time you spend firing could be better spent getting time ups or keeping a combo going. People like Wesker, a few Killer7 bullets and they're down. Even Ada has a rifle, but HUNK only has a TMP and grenades. Which is what makes him such a badass.

aoshi

I got an SS in missile and ship deck but am suffering in experimental facility. Majinis are jus swarming and I can;t control the herd with chris(STARS). Chris's constant reload(only 65 rounds for machine gun) is annoying the heck outa me as it gives time for majinis to **** him or lose a combo.I usually dont take tips but any tips are welcome. I hate you capcom. I don't know wat it would be to live with you assholes.

benfen

Leon fan
Use a character with a shotgun to take care of Lickers (Shotgun-heartstab). That's all I can say. It's been over 6 months scince I played RE5 mercs, lol. And I only played it for a few days.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I got an SS in missile and ship deck but am suffering in experimental facility. Majinis are jus swarming and I can;t control the herd with chris(STARS). Chris's constant reload(only 65 rounds for machine gun) is annoying the heck outa me as it gives time for majinis to **** him or lose a combo.I usually dont take tips but any tips are welcome. I hate you capcom. I don't know wat it would be to live with you assholes.

Do you reload from your inventory or through the reload animations?

aoshi

I sometimes reload from inventory and sometimes through animations.Either way, I am caught up by majinis as relaoding 65 rounds every 30 seconds is tiring. Lickers are not makin my life easy as well. Went on 4 hours and felt i was gonna get a nervous breakdown. Should get an SS in next few tries. My major issue is as i try to rack combos, I get swarmed and killed.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Interesting. You use melees right? You shouldn't be running through clips that quickly. As for combos, I would suggest collecting time bonuses first and then killing majinis. That way you don't have to break your combo worrying about time. As for getting swarmed... Not much to be said. It'll just take some practice.

benfen

Leon fan
For time ups, it's extremly beneficial to memorise a setup in which to collect them at the start. Do that and your scores will skyrocket.

aoshi

Melees - I am distracted with the animations in melee while i concentrate on rest of majinis in the area while i am aiming at one. Grenade launcher acts as a good crowd control on situations.I am aiming for a 100000 and think it would be possible to achieve without melees. Since there are no bosses in experimental facility i was not able to strategize my combos. But now i have, though swarm is jus too much with stun rods and lickers.I am literally tearing my hair out. Hope i will reach it without giving up.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Aaah. That might be hard to do without melees in my opinion. And yes, there are bosses in Experimental Facility. :s

aoshi

I was into shooter games for aiming accuracy. RE 4 had a good engine that supported aiming accuracy. Thats wat drew me into RE.I should be playing games like killer 7. But aiming accuracy was not good. Rather it was tedious. So melees would be the last thing i want to do in RE 5. I think an aiming accuracy of over 80 % is good in RE 5 considering the abilities of majinis to run and dodge bullets.

Wat do you refer to as bosses in experimental facility? There are only lickers and that majini with a sphere torso.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Chain gun majinis lol. For aiming practice I prefer Black Ops. :) In RE4 and RE5 the laser pointer aims for you.

benfen

Leon fan
The more accurate you are in RE4 the harder the game is. That's why I'd unload some bullets into the air as H.U.N.K. every time I get a spare second to make it easier for me.

Mrsmith

On mercenaries i dont no how we did it but me and my bro in law got well over 200k points it ended up sayin finished game. even though we still had several minutes on the clock.

aoshi

I did it. I reached a 100000 in ****ed up experimental facility. I also think the score had to do with entry point at the top floor and making my way down to the bottom floor. After a month of toiling, i can move on to next stage (ancient ruins).

benfen

Leon fan
I did it. I reached a 100000 in ****** up experimental facility. I also think the score had to do with entry point at the top floor and making my way down to the bottom floor. After a month of toiling, i can move on to next stage (ancient ruins).

I never SS'd that one, frustrating IMO.

Top Bottom