• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Resident Evil 5 dissapointments

We Are Ninja

Zombies were slow and plodding. They worked back then because the game's mechanics and controls were slow and plodding as well. If you stuck current day Chris with his current day mobility (and his rock-****tering pythons)into a game with slow, shuffling, old school zombies, they'd be no threat at all. It'd be like that movie, Zombieland.

Warning: LIN spoiler in 3... 2... 1...

Much like the those anchor-wielding things in LIN; they were so slow and plodding they were merely an annoyance.
IMO, The Ganados and Majini are a logical evolution of the tried and true zombie. Theyr'e smarter, faster and more menacing, but still make good weapon fodder.

DeSilva

2 things about about that Ninja:

If you played the game on a normal/harder difficulty, you didn't have the ammunition to kill those slow plodding zombies.

I'm telling you as an accomplished writer, there is NO Logical Evolution when it comes to fiction. That's part of why it can be fiction. In my mind, something like the Crimson Heads from REmake would have sufficed just as well, and felt far more deadly and outright dangerous that Ganados and Majini. When it comes to fear, people are afraid of seeing things that act on instinct, and are afraid of things they can't see when they show intelligence. In most cases, when you flop the two, you don't get those horrific detail in the results.

If you want to talk about marketing zombies, that's fine. You really don't need too, becouse there's so many zombie games/ movies, ect out there. But the other creatures during the early RE saga were well designed and well purposed (that's my personal belief). They suited the task at hand.

This is what I would like to see:
Zombies, and eventually the whole crimson head evolution brought back.
Less ammunition, if I wanted to shoot instead of think, I'd play one of those God-aweful Call of Duty games.
Being back the original, dank, dark atmosphere. Fear of the light has thus far preformed pathetically.
Put the whole orginized bioterrorism act and evil corperation in the background of the story, let the narrative foreground be about survival. If you do survival right, the suspence and action will come naturally.
Either go back to a character that we haven't seen since the Resident evil dark ages or create a new protagonist. Chris, Jill, Leon and Wesker have been abused quiet enough. We know those characters (A possible Suggestion: Barry, Rebecca, or better yet, create a new character that isn't STARS, isn't Military, Someone so vulnerable the best they can do is survive).

With the new DLC out (haven't played it for myself yet, but have watched a couple of friends playthrough), I think they were a little more in touch with survival horror, but there was nothing terribly innovative about that, an with Horror, you have to be inovative, becouse people eventually become numb to the same thing over and over (and often times much faster than any other genre of work, like Romance or Tragedy). It's why the Aliens saga has suffered, as well as many others.

I'm not saying RE was the worst game in existance, or even a bad one, but I think they could have made it a better spin off series than calling it a crucial piece of the central story arc (like Gun Survivor or Outbreak, only I imagine it would have been more successful than both combined). It was fun for me, but it's not on par with the previous titles. Again, I'm probably a little jaded on the issue becouse of the writing thing and blah blah blah, but the my friends that were playing these games with me back in the 1990's all have the same thing to say.

One last thing, just now realizing this. the Whole RE5 versus the earlier games is one of those "Back in the good old day" arguments. The older generation that were playing these games early one versus a new breed of gamer that likes the idea of shooting and bombing. I can't imagine you can have both praising the same title this far down the road. Capcom's got to make someone happy, and I understand that completely, I suppose the you youngin's won out this time.

We Are Ninja

DeSilva;66535 said:
2 things about about that Ninja:

If you played the game on a normal/harder difficulty, you didn't have the ammunition to kill those slow plodding zombies...
This is true, but IMO, Dead Rising was solid proof that there were many, many creative ways to deal with run-of-the-mill, dumb, slow zombies besides shooting them. Incidentally, I really believe that game was Capcom's way of saying zombies were old news.

DeSilva;66535 said:
I'm telling you as an accomplished writer, there is NO Logical Evolution when it comes to fiction. That's part of why it can be fiction. In my mind, something like the Crimson Heads from REmake would have sufficed just as well, and felt far more deadly and outright dangerous that Ganados and Majini. When it comes to fear, people are afraid of seeing things that act on instinct, and are afraid of things they can't see when they show intelligence. In most cases, when you flop the two, you don't get those horrific detail in the results...
I disagree; logical evolution is quite possible in fiction, it's just not required. Fiction allows you to toss logic out the window, which, IMO, is one of the reason's it's so enjoyable.

DeSilva;66535 said:
...Put the whole orginized bioterrorism act and evil corperation in the background of the story, let the narrative foreground be about survival. If you do survival right, the suspence and action will come naturally... Someone so vulnerable the best they can do is survive).
That'd be interesting, but Capcom tried that before in the exceptionally odd Haunting Ground/Demento and it wasn't really "fun". I suspect it may have had to do with the fact that the main character was unreasonably pathetic, though...

DeSilva;66535 said:
...One last thing, just now realizing this. the Whole RE5 versus the earlier games is one of those "Back in the good old day" arguments. The older generation that were playing these games early one versus a new breed of gamer that likes the idea of shooting and bombing. I can't imagine you can have both praising the same title this far down the road. Capcom's got to make someone happy, and I understand that completely, I suppose the you youngin's won out this time.
I completed the first two RE's when they debuted, but I was never a "fan" of the series. I never liked the suspense or the tension and fear. I didn't become a fan until RE5, but I know I am in a very small minority.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Run-of-the-mill zombies can work, certainly, but alone, it becomes tedious and just no fun...

They could use something like Crimson Heads mixed in, which is pretty realistic, and have different kinds of enemies to deal with...

Iced Digger

What if they, mixed them together? Like zombies and Manji? I doubt they ever will, but I think it'd be cool.

DeSilva

We Are Ninja;66576 said:
This is true, but IMO, Dead Rising was solid proof that there were many, many creative ways to deal with run-of-the-mill, dumb, slow zombies besides shooting them. Incidentally, I really believe that game was Capcom's way of saying zombies were old news.

QUOTE]

Dead rising wasn't scary. I played a whole 5 minutes of it, and hated it. Vampires are old as well, yet the media constantly uses them over and over. In fiction, I don't think there is no old news. Maybe overused, but I don't think the Zombie gaming genre has reached that point yet. Just look at all the people in this forum who want Zombies back.

DeSilva

Spike991;66626 said:
Run-of-the-mill zombies can work, certainly, but alone, it becomes tedious and just no fun...

They could use something like Crimson Heads mixed in, which is pretty realistic, and have different kinds of enemies to deal with...

Hopefully the quote thing works this time.
But I've been saying that since REmake. I would absolutely hate if they mixed zombies and majini or some strange concoctino like that. If you're going to do that just have regualr people be the bad guys. Humans fighting out of their own will, becouse they believe something a spacific way, or want to accomplish something and you are in the way. I think that's scarrier than Majini.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Iced Digger;66638 said:
What if they, mixed them together? Like zombies and Manji? I doubt they ever will, but I think it'd be cool.

They could do that. I mean obviously Las Plagas is still a popular Bio Weapon, and well the T-virus is still around, they could absolutely mix in different kinds of enemies.

It wouldn't be the first time Capcom has mixed in enemies that are infected with T and enemies that have a parasite. RE3, had zombies and Nemesis.:)

Iced Digger

Spike991;66828 said:
They could do that. I mean obviously Las Plagas is still a popular Bio Weapon, and well the T-virus is still around, they could absolutely mix in different kinds of enemies.

It wouldn't be the first time Capcom has mixed in enemies that are infected with T and enemies that have a parasite. RE3, had zombies and Nemesis.:)

Wouldn't it be sweet if you could play with the Nemesis in Merc? lol

v iBaxter

if you think about it crimson heads were the beggining of the majini they thought why dont we stick a runner in there and make it slightly more action packed and then they tested it in four and it worked but tcheck the thred in general discussion "what would you like to see in resi 6" that what i want it to be.

chrisheva

Chosen Keyblade Wielder
I agree that it wasnt much of a survival horror. I think its lost its horror-like feeling completely. I wish there was more dark settings, but not like the mines, just not daylight. I do, however, disagree with your statement about multiplayer. I wish the enemies WERE slow, but brought back more, similar enemies from the earlier games. If they make a 6th game, i hope they keep the same control scheme, but bring back the more horiffic tone to the story, and gameplay, such as being attached suddenly by an infected dog jumping through a window, attempting to bite your face off... something like that.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Iced Digger;66854 said:
Wouldn't it be sweet if you could play with the Nemesis in Merc? lol

Against it? Yes I think that would be cool, and a Tyrant, preferably a T-103.

@Weskers Shades, RE4, and RE5 of course, were not the first RE games to implement more action. RE3 did alot of that itself, and so did CVX, in fact action has snuck it's way into the RE series for quite some time...I doubt anyone would even be complaining about RE4 had it not been so overpopular like it were.

@Chrissheva, I don't see what the time of day has to do with anything? I mean RE3 took place during the day time at the beginning, CVX had it's moments, definately in the Antartic. Even the first RE had it's day time part at the end when you fight the T-002.

gawyn

I don't agree with RE5 being a disapointment.
It has its flaus, but it is not a bad game.
The biggest problem is that the pace is to high. Resident Evil games never were Sonic the Hedgehog, and shouldn't be. There are too many situations in the game that you just have to rush through.

However, I think that the co-op mode brought another level to the game.
How better to enjoy a resident evil game than to play it with a friend that is just as big fan as yourself?
I can understand that if you don't have such friend it can be frustrating, but I thought that the one player mode was quite ok as well.

When it comes to online gameing and Resident evil I am not impressed. It is a non-online series to me!

We Are Ninja

^ Well said. It had much more frantic pacing and I, for one, appreciated it. I was never a huge fan of the slower-paced games in the series.

I loved the co-op aspect of the game. When Sheva started sniping Lickers from down below that I didn't even realize were after me, I was like "Wow, this is awesome."

We Are Ninja

Indeed. Like AI Chris and his massive guns didn't take up the whole screen WITHOUT that gatling gun backpack thing...

DrainDeimos

RE5 was a disappointment because it was linear, had no exploration and very few puzzles, lacked slow suspenseful pacing and enemies reward you with gold and ammo when you kill them. There was no sense of mystery or vulnerability through the entire experience. You weren't surviving a nightmare. You were a soldier taking down the bad guys, just like every other game they make these days.

In short it had all the faults of RE4 and exasperated them even further.

LiN showed some potential. Hopefully the announced REboot will be a return to form.

JordanFreeman

RE5 to me was disapointing because it just wasn't scary in any way. Other than that it was great though.

RE4 will remain the scariest Resident Evil game to me. REGENERATORS. DEAR GOD I HATE THOSE THINGS.

tequila

Bottle Lover
I must say it was a bit of a disappointment for me too. I played on both platforms. It was more of action packed, speed kind of thing. There was moments where it was like "Oh s*** I'm gonna die" because healing items were scarce. RE5 is a challenge tho and that's what made it good. It was a new sequence and "upgraded zombies" I would say.

Then again, it should stick the mind boogling and suspenseful play that made you scared while playing it at night with all the lights off. Now my friends, was badass. IFly the original RE.

Top Bottom