• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Keep Claire Retired

Should Claire Stay Retired!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
Not to mention Call of Duty. Everyone complains about it but it sells like crazy. The simple truth is as long as RE will make the big bucks Capcom will continue the series. The idea of eventually bringing in the next generation is cool. This is basically what Star Wars is doing now with the new films as well. And if Wesker can have a son, then someday so can Chris, Jill, Leon and Claire have children who can then step into their parents shoes once they get too old (Which they are not yet!). The current generation can easily still go 10 more years before passing down the torch to the next generation.

By the way RE 6 doesnt end in 2015. It begins in 2012 and ends in 2013.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Resident evil has a lot of large scale catastrophic events that can make numerous side stories.
Such as outbreak which was based in raccoon city.
There's still potential for more terragrigia story, and stories involving the number out outbreaks in re6 and of course the future characters which havnt ended yet (Jessica/Ada/Leon ect)
The transition to new characters is beginning and some characters are reaching conclusions.
Jakes appearance went down well and so they will continue his storyline most likely.
I'd be happy to see Claire but I still think her story arc has ended, however I would like to see her in a games timeline that takes place between 5-6 though during Chris' amnesia thing.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
If they wanted to, they could make Revelations 2 be about Chris and Piers back in 2010 0r 2011. The possibilities are endless when it comes to story telling, especially when there's so many gaps. Whether you're going forward or moving backwards, there's so much to explore with a cast like Resident Evil's. Claire's story doesn't have to be over. There's no rule that says so, she could come back whenever Capcom feels like using her just like they can keep making up stories like Revelations.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
yeah just imagine the amount of stories you could do with Leon between RE Degeneration and RE 6. There is a gap of 8 (!) years between those two stories. Same applies to Ada of course (Since whenever there is Leon, Ada seems to be there too. These two are like magnets ). Or the time between Code Veronica and Umbrella Chronicles which is also a 5 year gap. I would love to see what Jill was up to after RE 3 up until that mission in 2003 that brought her and Chris to russia. You could easily make 10 more games just to fill these gaps really.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
No! Don't keep her retired. Put Leon and Chris off to the side, and bring Jill and Claire back.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
Why should she be missed? Don't get me wrong. I love Rebecca. But she was never a main cast member.
So bc she wasn't a "main cast member" she shouldn't be missed or at least missed less than someone like say Jill (a woman who just appear in a 2012 game) for example? I don't understand this logic at all.
But aside from fans wanting it, what logical reason is there to bring her back. I love Rebecca too. She's my second favorite female character only to Jill. But at this point, it's pointless to bring her back. She's not really relevant anymore. An explainer as to what happened to her is enough. They need to focus on honorable ways to RETIRE characters. Not bring them back. Even if they should bring characters back, why does Rebecca take more precedence than anybody else, logically speaking?
Are you sure this is one of your favorite characters bc imo you kind of sound like a Rebecca hater with this comment.

Now you should be grateful for the following explanation I'm about to give bc honestly no one really owes you an answer on why they want her back and/or why her return (or any other character) would be logical (even though I get the odd feeling you won't accept any answer as logical regarding this character's potential return but this is for all of the forum users to see so I don't mind answering it).

IMO the using of the "not being relevant" excuse as a reason why a character should stay away from the series is so tired and honestly weak. I mean you act as if Capcom couldn't write this character (and others like her) back in in a way that is logical. I mean technically after the destruction of Umbrella, there was no reason to see characters like Chris, Jill, Claire (who's real goal was to find Chris which she did) and Leon again. However they made up the BSAA to give Chris and Jill a reason to return, expanded the idea of being Leon a government agent (although imo this isn't really that good an excuse) and created Terrasave to give Claire a vehicle to be seen again. So doing something similar could be done for other characters and I think the following would be more logical and believable.

Barry- A member of the BSAA. I mean we still don't know who the original eleven are and the fact that Barry was in an early RE5 draft seems to support that he very well could have been a BSAA member. In fact he doesn't even have to be an original eleven. He could be new to the BSAA following RE6 events as an passive agent (which would flow better imo) Maybe he could be their new Weapons Expert or even the new O'Brien of the organization. Just show him in a Hunnigan like manner in the next game or cgi film the BSAA is involved giving orders and advice to Chris and/or Jill. Just include a big file describing what he has been up to all these years. Barry is back in a way that matters without feeling too forced (although imo it wouldn't even matter if he did feel forced- he should still be a presence in the series in the first place) and his fans would finally know what he's up to and stop asking about it. Win-Win for everyone really.

Rebecca- Doctor focused on Drug Protocol Research. She has so much potential it's crazy (then again my bias could just be speaking.) Here's one idea I have. They could connect her to Alex Wesker. I would personally make it so that she worked with him sometime after RE6 (with him living under a alias) at his new pharmaceutical company (which is a cover as viruses are actually perfected there and sold on the black market to be used in attacks). Learning that it was she that created the C-Virus vaccine (maybe Chris referenced her to Sherry you never know)he sent her an offer to help her make an even more powerful C-virus vaccine. While she accepted the offer as he had a decent reputation, she didn't trust anyone completely. So while they worked on it, she hid an important piece of the formula from him just in case he was untrustworthy and it is this piece that would make the vaccine work more efficiently. Sure enough, Alex later manipulates the formula into a virus that's even more powerful than the C-Virus. Figuring he had the vaccine, he decides to unleash the virus in a major city to make a statement and planned to use the vaccine to make his company look good and keep his cover up. However when his company tries to relief the people with the vaccine he and Rebecca made, he realizes it does nothing, thus threatening his and his company's cover as a "savior" of the people. He later comes to the conclusion that he's been had by learning she has the right vaccine (but cant get anyone to give it to the people thanks to Alex's company publicly blaming her for unleashing the virus on purpose to "spite them for not working with her") thus she could endanger his cover and his company's secrets as well. So Alex has men go after her, with orders to bring her back alive in order to give him the rest of the formula. So she deals with this all while going back to the infected city to provide relief to the infected area as all while try to repair her reputation and bring Alex down. Not only would this make her more relevant than before (I mean a rival of Alex Wesker), imo this wouldn't even be that far fetched thanks to the fact that she is a genius with a strong chemistry/science background, could have went to med school after leaving Raccoon City to become a researcher/doctor. Then there is the fact that we don't know what she's been up to all this time or who she even knows at this point. We don't know who made the C-Virus Vaccine talked about in the RE6 files (if they did please correct me) so just say she did (better her than some random) Besides we had enough evil researchers and genius, we need a good genius (she's the only one) and another good researcher (Luis Sera was the only one so far) in the fight to help out with these viruses. This would also make her more of a civilian compared to everyone else as of late, something this series needs.

Now I personally am not saying that every forgotten character has to make a grand return (nor does it necessarily have to be a game if they do. That's what the cgi films should be used for), a detailed file would be great for most but I just don't think that's good enough for characters like Barry and Rebecca (two characters who should be just as important as former comrades Chris and Jill as they all started in this series the same way, by being betrayed).

Now IMO Rebecca seems to stand out bc unlike most "forgotten characters", she actually made two canon appearances and was the star in her second appearance (unlike Barry who was just a cameo). Plus the way Capcom left her fate open is just unbelievably stupid esp considering the things I said. I mean we dont know what she did after leaving Raccoon City (which could be used to her story's advantage if she makes a return) or when she even left exactly [as she didn't even get a epi in RE3 (something I still question to this day), at least Barry got something]. I mean don't say a character is alive then treat them like they are not. It would make any fan interested in her disappearance and question such ridiculousness. Considering all this and her story potential (bc it is there), I can see why most would want to see her back first out of all those characters.

If anyone want to hear anymore of my character return ideas, just let me know and I may start a new thread about it for you all. The Rebecca one I posted(also just made it up right here and now so I may clean it up later) would make a good cgi film plot I think.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
At the end of the day I'm not a Rebecca hater, I love Rebecca...But I know when something has run it's course, and when bringing it back would jump a shark, or be considered beating a dead horse...

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Thanks to SkinniMini she reminded me of two things. They Brought Sherry back by changing a few details. and as for Barry in his Epilogue from Resident Evil 3 it says that "He knows that he must repay his teammates for forgiving his betrayal. Even if that means leaving his family for now.".

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Thanks to SkinniMini she reminded me of two things. They Brought Sherry back by changing a few details. and as for Barry in his Epilogue from Resident Evil 3 it says that "He knows that he must repay his teammates for forgiving his betrayal. Even if that means leaving his family for now.".
Yeah, but if Wesker was going to have a son, bringing back Sherry for Symbolism's sake was a logical and even emotional thing to do.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Symbolism?:confused:

Bringing Claire and Rebecca to support Chris is more Logical and emotional thing to do.
The symbolism of the two men who are basically the reason for all the evil there is in the games...Wesker and Birkin...Their kids are the only hope to save it...That's the symbolism.

And while Bringing Claire back to help Chris would be emotional, I see no emotional connection that holds it's own between Rebecca and Chris...Rebecca isn't to Chris was Jill and Claire are...Or what Leon and Ada are...Rebecca had that sort of connection with Billy, and that was it. I wish she did...I'd MUCH rather see Rebecca than Claire...But if we are looking at it from an emotional viewpoint, Claire is the logical choice.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
The symbolism of the two men who are basically the reason for all the evil there is in the games...Wesker and Birkin...Their kids are the only hope to save it...That's the symbolism.

Well I would've agree with you about that but the thing is there is no Connection between Sherry and Jake beside that their fathers used to be partners.

And while Bringing Claire back to help Chris would be emotional, I see no emotional connection that holds it's own between Rebecca and Chris...Rebecca isn't to Chris was Jill and Claire are...Or what Leon and Ada are...Rebecca had that sort of connection with Billy, and that was it. I wish she did...I'd MUCH rather see Rebecca than Claire...But if we are looking at it from an emotional viewpoint, Claire is the logical choice.

Yes but Rebecca teamed up with Chris in the mansion incident. and its possible that they worked together after that.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well I would've agree with you about that but the thing is there is no Connection between Sherry and Jake beside that their fathers used to be partners.
But they built that relationship that is nigh on a romantic relationship, and the emotion developed because of the preset symbolism.

Yes but Rebecca teamed up with Chris in the mansion incident. and its possible that they worked together after that.
But they didn't work together after the mansion incident. Umbrella Chronicles shows the events of Chris after the mansion incident, and he wasn't working with Rebecca. He was working with Jill...Yes, he COULD have worked with Rebecca off screen that we haven't seen yet (Though that's highly unlikely considering ALL the info we have on how the brought down Umbrella is basically laid out start to finish), it still wouldn't help your case in saying that Rebecca has emotional ties with Chris, because we're talking about what we know right now, that way we can discuss the characters making a return or not making a return in the future. So what may have happened off screen that we don't know about, can't further a point on why she should come back.

Basically, from what we know right now, from everything that has happened from 1998 through 2013 involving Chris, Rebecca was involved for VERY little of it. Especially when you compare it to his involvement with Claire and Jill. Here is the timeline proving so...

1998 - Mansion Incident - Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca
1998 - Chris Disappears to Europe. No one knows his whereabouts.
1998 - Raccoon City Incident - Claire shows up searching for Chris
1998 - Rockfort Island/Antarctica - Chris and Claire
2003 - Chris and Jill go to Russia
2005 - Chris and Jill - Events of Revelations
2007-2008 area - Chris and Jill infiltrate Spencer's Hideout
2009 - Chris looking for Jill in Africa

This is a confirmed timeline. Rebecca is short lived. Not long enough to really build any emotional connection.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Most of those "Where is this or that character?" and "Why don't they bring him/her back?" questions could have been avoided if Capcom had just expanded on the stories of the characters they already had instead of constantly adding new ones.

For example, as we all know and it has been mentioned in this thread before, Barry was originally supposed to be in Sheva's place in RE5, or even Rebecca could have done the job. And if they wanted to give the character closure after RE5, he/she could have been Finn in RE6; the person in Chris's team who dies and makes him feel extremely guilty. After all, despite Chris's urge to protect everyone, it would have made more sense for him to despair after the death of either Barry or Rebecca (or both; there were three more soliders on his team who died) than some random rookie he didn't even know personally, or at least not well.

Then there's Ashley. Why do we need Ashley? It could as well have been Sherry who was kidnapped. Of course the setup and perhaps even the story would have needed to be a little different because she's not the president's daughter, but it would have added some more continuity. Also, Sherry's babbling in RE6 about how Leon saved her life would have made more sense, because back then in Raccoon City, unless the canon is different from what we get to see, Leon didn't really do much and it was mostly thanks to Claire that she survived. I actually like this idea so much that I will make or download an Ashley-to-Sherry mod for RE4 once the ultimate HD edition is out.

I could go on, but I suppose everyone gets my point by now.

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Rebecca is short lived. Not long enough to really build any emotional connection.

Well Brad came back in Resident evil 3 even though he did very little in Resident evil 1. and if you want a character to support Chris who built a really strong friendship connection then you have Barry. He knew Chris before they join S.T.A.R.S. they worked together in the same unit in the Air Force . and Barry is the one who talked to Chris about joining the S.T.A.R.S after Chris was discharged from the force and began to drift.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
But they built that relationship that is nigh on a romantic relationship, and the emotion developed because of the preset symbolism.

But they didn't work together after the mansion incident. Umbrella Chronicles shows the events of Chris after the mansion incident, and he wasn't working with Rebecca. He was working with Jill...Yes, he COULD have worked with Rebecca off screen that we haven't seen yet (Though that's highly unlikely considering ALL the info we have on how the brought down Umbrella is basically laid out start to finish), it still wouldn't help your case in saying that Rebecca has emotional ties with Chris, because we're talking about what we know right now, that way we can discuss the characters making a return or not making a return in the future. So what may have happened off screen that we don't know about, can't further a point on why she should come back.

Basically, from what we know right now, from everything that has happened from 1998 through 2013 involving Chris, Rebecca was involved for VERY little of it. Especially when you compare it to his involvement with Claire and Jill. Here is the timeline proving so...

1998 - Mansion Incident - Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca
1998 - Chris Disappears to Europe. No one knows his whereabouts.
1998 - Raccoon City Incident - Claire shows up searching for Chris
1998 - Rockfort Island/Antarctica - Chris and Claire
2003 - Chris and Jill go to Russia
2005 - Chris and Jill - Events of Revelations
2007-2008 area - Chris and Jill infiltrate Spencer's Hideout
2009 - Chris looking for Jill in Africa

This is a confirmed timeline. Rebecca is short lived. Not long enough to really build any emotional connection.

Your timeline is not completely accurate - Chris and Jill infiltrate Spencers mansion in 2006 not 2007-2008. This is confirmed if you look at the ages of Chris and Jill in Lost in Nightmares compared to their ages listed in the main game. Also Jill says in LIN that its been 8 years since Raccoon City - therefore its 2006 ;)

Sry I am kind of a timeline/continuity geek, I wrote many essays about the RE timelines in the past so I really felt that I had to jump in there for a little correction, no offense.

As for Rebecaa - I dont know what people find so appealing about her. Its not that I hate her (I only hate on characters if I dont like their persona), I just dont like her either. She was just a small supporting character in RE 1 and the main character in RE Zero (which is my least fav RE game). But we havent even heard anything really about her since the mansion incident. She wasnt even in RE 2 and 3. At least Barry (who is a MUCH cooler character then Rebecca and really deserves a bigger role IMHO) showed up in RE 3. I really feel no connection to Rebecca at all, she is also the least interesting female character in the series to me (well besides Sheva).

However what I dont like is if Capcom just removes characters without any explanation about their fate. I consider this very unfair to the fans. And they did this too often: Barry, Rebecca, Billy, Carlos.....I understand if Capcom feels that these characters have served their purpose and just dont have any part left in the story they want to tell. But the least they could do is to provide us with an explanation as to what happened to them. Even if they would just declare them dead. At least that gives us some closure about these characters.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Well Brad came back in Resident evil 3 even though he did very little in Resident evil 1. and if you want a character to support Chris who built a really strong friendship connection then you have Barry. He knew Chris before they join S.T.A.R.S. they worked together in the same unit in the Air Force . and Barry is the one who talked to Chris about joining the S.T.A.R.S after Chris was discharged from the force and began to drift.
But Brad was brought back for all of 5 minutes just to show how frightening Nemesis was, and what his goal was. And I never objected to Barry coming back for story or emotional value...However, I do think he's too old at this point...
Your timeline is not completely accurate - Chris and Jill infiltrate Spencers mansion in 2006 not 2007-2008. This is confirmed if you look at the ages of Chris and Jill in Lost in Nightmares compared to their ages listed in the main game. Also Jill says in LIN that its been 8 years since Raccoon City - therefore its 2006 ;)

Sry I am kind of a timeline/continuity geek, I wrote many essays about the RE timelines in the past so I really felt that I had to jump in there for a little correction, no offense.

As for Rebecaa - I dont know what people find so appealing about her. Its not that I hate her (I only hate on characters if I dont like their persona), I just dont like her either. She was just a small supporting character in RE 1 and the main character in RE Zero (which is my least fav RE game). But we havent even heard anything really about her since the mansion incident. She wasnt even in RE 2 and 3. At least Barry (who is a MUCH cooler character then Rebecca and really deserves a bigger role IMHO) showed up in RE 3. I really feel no connection to Rebecca at all, she is also the least interesting female character in the series to me (well besides Sheva).

However what I dont like is if Capcom just removes characters without any explanation about their fate. I consider this very unfair to the fans. And they did this too often: Barry, Rebecca, Billy, Carlos.....I understand if Capcom feels that these characters have served their purpose and just dont have any part left in the story they want to tell. But the least they could do is to provide us with an explanation as to what happened to them. Even if they would just declare them dead. At least that gives us some closure about these characters.
Thank you. You've pretty much made my point for me. An explainer of what actually happened to her would be great. I'd love that. But your exact words were "I really feel no connection to Rebecca at all" and that's how most RE fans feel. She was very cool for the game that was RE0, but again, she never really resonated with anyone. I love her as a character herself, but there's a reason Jill is my favorite and not Rebecca. Me, and MOST RE gamers, built more of a connection with Jill...

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
But Brad was brought back for all of 5 minutes just to show how frightening Nemesis was, and what his goal was. And I never objected to Barry coming back for story or emotional value...However, I do think he's too old at this point...

yeah by now Barry would be something like 65 or something, but it would be cool if he would work for the BSAA too. He doesnt have to be in the field. Actually wouldnt it be cool if he were actually the current BSAA director? We dont know who succeeded O Brian as director and after the BSAA was reformed the former STARS members gained much more recognition. I could totally see Barry as the BSAA director today.

By the way Brad also appeared in RE 2. He is the very tough zombie that you can meet in front of the RPD building.

Thank you. You've pretty much made my point for me. An explainer of what actually happened to her would be great. I'd love that. But your exact words were "I really feel no connection to Rebecca at all" and that's how most RE fans feel. She was very cool for the game that was RE0, but again, she never really resonated with anyone. I love her as a character herself, but there's a reason Jill is my favorite and not Rebecca. Me, and MOST RE gamers, built more of a connection with Jill...

While Jill is certainly the much more popular character but you cant say Rebecca never resonated with anyone. Thats simply not true and you really dont have the right to speak for every RE fan. That comment seemed very diminishing towards the Rebecca fans. I might not like her but I wouldnt claim that she has no fans at all. Rebecca clearly did resonate with some people or you wouldnt have people demanding her return. Most fans prefer other characters, true but Rebeccas definitely has her fans. They are just in the minority is all. Doesnt make their opinion any less valid.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
yeah by now Barry would be something like 65 or something, but it would be cool if he would work for the BSAA too. He doesnt have to be in the field. Actually wouldnt it be cool if he were actually the current BSAA director? We dont know who succeeded O Brian as director and after the BSAA was reformed the former STARS members gained much more recognition. I could totally see Barry as the BSAA director today.

By the way Brad also appeared in RE 2. He is the very tough zombie that you can meet in front of the RPD building.

While Jill is certainly the much more popular character but you cant say Rebecca never resonated with anyone. Thats simply not true and you really dont have the right to speak for every RE fan. That comment seemed very diminishing towards the Rebecca fans. I might not like her but I wouldnt claim that she has no fans at all. Rebecca clearly did resonate with some people or you wouldnt have people demanding her return. Most fans prefer other characters, true but Rebeccas definitely has her fans. They are just in the minority is all. Doesnt make their opinion any less valid.
I'm not speaking for Everyone RE fan. I said that's how most RE fans feel, and in comparison to Jill that's true...And that would a nice explainer for Barry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom