• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Keep Claire Retired

Should Claire Stay Retired!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I've seen a lot of people talking about ways to bring Claire back into the story. I have to say I disagree this. Capcom needs to start retiring characters, but they need to do so in an Honorable way, that is not an insult to the character. I think Claire got a brilliant farewell in Degeneration. Chris should also not come back, considering his ending in RE6. From this point on, they just have to work on slowly but surely retiring Jill, Leon, and Ada. With that, drawing a series to a close.

Don't keep bringing back characters that have honorably been discharged from the series. But also, quit adding new characters that you can use a throw away characters that have no emotional ties to the players over the years. However, this is just my opinion. If you guys can think of logical reasons to bring Claire, or ANY retired character back, tell me. Tell the world!

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Look at it this way:
Claire is sent to an area by Terra save to help some victims of a bioterrorist attack. Said bioterrorist group sees Claire and figures that they can fish Chris and the rest of the BSAA out by using her. They attack again, killing a lot of the victims and Claire's friends within Terra save, but she is able to escape. Surrounded by BOWs, she grabs a gun and sets off to contact her brother/assist in capturing the bioterrorist group.

Or they can pull a Code: Veronica and send Claire in to look for Chris after he is taken by a bioterrorist group.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I agree that Claire shouldnt be brought back but my reasons are very different. I just think that her story has run its course and there is just nothing anymore there that would justify her involvement. She was only in it to find Chris, which obviously is no longer an issue. And Degeneration explicitly stated that she chooses to stay away from fighting and rather chooses the life of an activist. Therefore bringing her back would feel incredibly wrong to her character unless its a REALLY compelling reason. It would need something quite extreme to make her enter the battle against BOWs again.

I completely disagree however with the idea that all of the beloved main characters need to be retired. I definitely do not want that to happen because these characters are the main reason why I love the series. Without them the series would lose about 80 % of its appeal to me. And I dont see Chris, Jill, Leon and Ada retire anytime soon anyway. I didnt understand why Chris wanted to retire before Piers died. I mean Chris barely 40 years old. He has like at least 10 more years in him. Though fighting this war for many years might take its toll, still there is no reason to retire these characters, especially when they clearly are so popular. Capcom would just shoot themselves in the leg with that. After all Nintendo wouldnt ever retire Mario either. These characters to me are the heart and soul of the games.

But I also do agree that they shouldnt just bring in characters which then are ignored in the subsequent games. The list of those is unfortunately long : Barry, Carlos, Billy, Parker, Jessica, Raymond, Sheva etc. No more of that please.

Or they can pull a Code: Veronica and send Claire in to look for Chris after he is taken by a bioterrorist group.

Because that wouldnt be unoriginal or anything...

Jay

K.I.N.G.
I agree that Claire shouldnt be brought back but my reasons are very different. I just think that her story has run its course and there is just nothing anymore there that would justify her involvement. She was only in it to find Chris, which obviously is no longer an issue. And Degeneration explicitly stated that she chooses to stay away from fighting and rather chooses the life of an activist. Therefore bringing her back would feel incredibly wrong to her character unless its a REALLY compelling reason. It would need something quite extreme to make her enter the battle against BOWs again.
If not battles at least cameo appearances.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

I completely disagree however with the idea that all of the beloved main characters need to be retired. I definitely do not want that to happen because these characters are the main reason why I love the series. Without them the series would lose about 80 % of its appeal to me. And I dont see Chris, Jill, Leon and Ada retire anytime soon anyway. I didnt understand why Chris wanted to retire before Piers died. I mean Chris barely 40 years old. He has like at least 10 more years in him. Though fighting this war for many years might take its toll, still there is no reason to retire these characters, especially when they clearly are so popular. Capcom would just shoot themselves in the leg with that. After all Nintendo wouldnt ever retire Mario either. These characters to me are the heart and soul of the games.

But I also do agree that they shouldnt just bring in characters which then are ignored in the subsequent games. The list of those is unfortunately long : Barry, Carlos, Billy, Parker, Jessica, Raymond, Sheva etc. No more of that please.

Because that wouldnt be unoriginal or anything...
No, when I say retire the characters, I mean, bring the series to a close as a whole. Don't keep it going with new characters.

Cameo and cutscene appearances that make a story progress would be ok. After all, TerraSave could play a cool role. But no action. No fighting. A side character only.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'm conflicted about this. On the one hand, Claire is my favourite female character, so of course I want to see more of her. Also, as an agent of Terra Save, she's not completely out of the bioterrorism business, there's still a chance of her getting involved in another outbreak or going there on purpose to help the victims while the threat is not yet completely eliminated. Maybe she could once again work together with Chris that way.
On the other hand, she's one of the very few characters who actually had some kind of closure instead of just disappearing into thin air like Rebecca, Carlos, etc. It would be silly to ruin that unless there's a very good reason. I'm not going to vote in this poll because I'm just not sure.

As for the other characters retiring, I don't really know either. Chris had the perfect opportunity to step out of the series in 6, either by dying or by actually retiring as he was planning to, leaving Piers in control. The ending of his campaign was the dumbest thing ever and now they can't just pull him out in the near future, it would only make his already flawed story and character development even sillier.
Jill... would be interesting to keep if the next game she appears in actually showed how being mind-raped by Wesker for three years have affected her, but that's Capcom we're talking about, nothing interesting is going to happen here, so I couldn't care less what they do with that character. They have to do something about Ada, though. Her being the mysterious double / triple agent with unknown intentions worked for three games and a movie, but it's getting old, just like the daily soap romance she's having with Leon. That definitely and desperately needs closure.

Last edited:

Cheer

Kamen Rider
Well I don't know. I want to see her again. but at the same time i don't want to see her suffer. and there is a small chance that Capcom might bring her back because of the live cutscene from Episode 3 of Resident Evil 5.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Well I don't know. I want to see her again. but at the same time i don't want to see her suffer. and there is a small chance that Capcom might bring her back because of the live cutscene from Episode 3 of Resident Evil 5.
Which cutscene? :eek:

Also I always thought a good opening would be to being her back during the time Chris had amnesia. I don't think a chapter or game would justify it though. If only just a phone call or email. Sheva even emailed Chris when he had amnesia or around that time

Turo602

The King of Kings
She should come back. I found it dumb how Chris went missing for six months in RE6 and Claire was nowhere to be found. Even Jill for that matter. They're constantly playing Where's Waldo with him and suddenly they lost interest in finding him?

What I want is for her to team up with Chris again, so we can actually see what their relationship is like. Chris has been through some big changes and it's hard for me to believe he's the same guy who saved Claire back in Code Veronica. It was cool that he mentioned her in RE6, but that's not much. Plus, it would be a fun dynamic to explore in a modern video game now that in-game dialogue and cinematic cutscenes are a big thing.

Even if Claire is retired, I don't think she would stop fighting if she ever found herself in the middle of an outbreak... It would even be awesome if she got mixed up in yet, another disaster with Leon and crosses paths with Chris and Jill and do a friendly partner swap, "to keep them on their toes." Two birds, one stone. We get Claire and Jill back, and we get to see an interesting interaction between Leon and Jill while getting to know more about Chris and Claire as siblings. Hell, at some point, they can even give us a proper Chris and Leon team up as well as Claire and Jill. Resident Evil 7, two campaigns, make it happen Capcom.

Last edited:

Aleck

Biohazard
I've always sort of equated our Resident Evil heroes to the Marvel heroes as well as the Mortal Kombat fighters. They might disappear for a few games, but then later come back to join the fun again. Thus, I have no problem with Claire Redfield or any previous RE protagonist returning. Also, it seems as though the RE storytellers can come up with scenarios for outbreaks at the blink of an eye. Ridiculous as they are, we're not meant to take them too seriously anyway, so they can even keep going until after our own lifetimes. And finally, there's the ambiguity about certain game endings like Code Veronica that can justifiably bring Claire in for another round. Claire has an emotional stake in Steve's whereabouts and for all we know, she hasn't stopped looking or given up hope.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
I know. That's why I said "pull a Code: Veronica"...
You know Capcom and their "originality"

Actually I think that for all their flaws and mistakes one thing that Capcom isnt guilty of in the RE games is being unoriginal. They made a lot of effort ever since RE 4 to deliver something fresh and original. Say what you will about RE 4-6 but they are very different games with a different environment, feel and storyline. And with what they did story-wise on RE 4-6 (regardless if you like the story or not), I really never felt that what they did was unoriginal or repetetive. In fact I think they went to great lengths (good and bad) to make the stories fresh and original. Personally I think Capcom was a lot more unoriginal and repetetive in the 90s with RE then today.

No, when I say retire the characters, I mean, bring the series to a close as a whole. Don't keep it going with new characters.

Sry I find that even worse. I dont want the series to end. I wanna keep having adventures in that world with my beloved characters and see them grow even further. One thing I love the most of the series (and that applies to almost every franchise I am a fan of in games, movies, TV etc.) is that we get to see the characters get older and how their life evolves. Wether the story and character development was good or bad is up for debate but personally I really enjoy seeing this. And I want to keep experiencing the evolution of these characters. As a fan I dont want RE to end. I want them to keep going with the series for another 20 years. Sure there is the danger that Capcom might utterly ruin the series beyond repair if they keep going. But thats a risk that every franchise has to deal with and one that I am ready to take. If anyone doesnt like the series anymore, he can walk away from it anytime. But I dont see why those who still love it have to suffer by ending the series for good. I always find it incredibly selfish if people say "That franchise sucks now, they should just end it" because they dont consider all the people who still love it and why should those be punished just because there are some people who dont like a franchise anymore? If you dont like it, you can walk away anytime.

As for the other characters retiring, I don't really know either. Chris had the perfect opportunity to step out of the series in 6, either by dying or by actually retiring as he was planning to, leaving Piers in control. The ending of his campaign was the dumbest thing ever and now they can't just pull him out in the near future, it would only make his already flawed story and character development even sillier.

I heavily disagree. It made no sense to me that Chris would retire, the guy isnt 60 or anything. Like I said before he easy would have about 10 years left in him at least. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever that he would retire at such an age. So I am actually very happy how his scenario played out in RE 6, that ultimately he got his **** back together and returned to where he was needed. Chris is a fighter. He always will be. He belongs on the battlefield. Its just like Spider-Man who every few years suffers this kind of identity crisis in life where he thinks he just cant do this anymore and tries to walk away from being a superhero, only to be reminded why the world needs him and why being Spider-Man is what he is meant to do. same here. Chris is meant for this. It also reminds me of when Rambo retired and his Colonel comes to him and tries to make him see that rambo is a full-blood combat soldier who belongs on the battlefield. Another more recent example that comes to mind is the movie "The Wolverine", where Wolverine has retired from fighting and lives in exile and then the japanese warrior Yukio comes to him and tells him that he is a soldier and always will be. Its who he is and what he is meant to do. And at the end of the film when Wolverine has the chance to stay in japan with the woman he loves he says that he cant because "I´m a soldier. And I have been in retirement way too long"

Some people are just born to protect the world by fighting on the battlefield. Chris Redfield is such a person. he is the Rambo, the Wolverine of Resident Evil. Its what he was born to do and I think that Piers death was deliberately done to remind Chris of that and to not ever forget that again. he isnt just fighting for himself or the world but also for all the people who died believing in him. I am very happy with his character arc and ending in RE 6. Also because it shows him as a flawed human being (which we havent seen so much in the past, he was always the perfect hero) who loses himself in grief and vengeance and to me that was very emotionally gripping to watch. To see this great hero coming apart by the seams and then ultimately with Piers help finding himself again. And Piers sacrifice helped Chris understand himself and his destiny and who needs to be. Its tragic that Piers had to die for that to happen and Chris could maybe have avoided that but it only makes him all the more human to me. Yous ay Chris story is silly and his development is off but personally I think he had the greatest character arc of all the characters in RE 6 and certainly the best and most emotional story for him yet. I was very happy with what they did with Chris in RE 6. That game has its flaws and some very bad story moments but Chris´story wasnt one of them. That was the best story the character ever had in my opinion.

Jill... would be interesting to keep if the next game she appears in actually showed how being mind-raped by Wesker for three years have affected her, but that's Capcom we're talking about, nothing interesting is going to happen here, so I couldn't care less what they do with that character.

You dont care what happens to the single most important female Resident Evil-character? As a die hard Jill fan I utterly frown upon a comment like that.

If there is one thing that truly and royally ****ed me off in RE 6, then it was the fact that Jill wasnt even mentioned and her existence was pretty much ignored. That just didnt make any sense to me whatsoever. Where was she when Chris went AWOL? Wouldnt she be the first to look for him? I think it would have made much more sense if she would have found Chris in that bar instead of Piers. And when Chris went to China with his team and participated in what was probably the biggest BSAA mission yet - where was Jill? Why wouldnt she be at his side during this? It just doesnt add up. I certainly cant imagine that while Chris fights for his life in the biggest BOW battle yet that Jill sits on a beach sipping margheritas.

One possible explanation is that after RE 5 Chris and Jill were both promoted to captain and each had their own squad, which would explain why they are not on the same team anymore. And then I guess you could explain her absence with her being on another mission with her team. I always like to think that the helicopter that picks Chris up at the end of his campaign is actually Jill. So I guess you can explain her absence this way but it still would have been nice if that would have at least been mentioned with 1 or 2 lines instead of completely ignoring her character. As a Jill fan I definitely cant wait to see what she has been doing since RE 5 and hope she is the main character of RE 7.

They have to do something about Ada, though. Her being the mysterious double / triple agent with unknown intentions worked for three games and a movie, but it's getting old, just like the daily soap romance she's having with Leon. That definitely and desperately needs closure.

Again I somewhat disagree. Ada being a double agent and playing it pretty close to the chest is just an integral part of her character and shouldnt be changed. And why is it that just because two people have feelings for each other this qualifies immediately as "soap opera". I think the ongoing lovestory between Leon and Ada is one of the best things in the series specifically because they develope it further from game to game instead of having them pledge their undying love for each other right away. I like this approach of their story growing with every game. Thats not soap opera, thats actually what I would call a more mature lovestory. If it would be cheesy sweet talking and kissy kissy in every game and turning into a relationship drama - now that would be soap opera. But the way they are slowly adding more and more to that in every game is a very cool ongoing story element. I agree that at some point this needs a proper resolution and at some point they really should consummate that relationship but I really love the way they have been handling that and hope they dont rush it now.

So yeah sry but basically I disagree with about most of what you said lol. But at least I could explain why.

It would even be awesome if she got mixed up in yet, another disaster with Leon and crosses paths with Chris and Jill and do a friendly partner swap, "to keep them on their toes." Two birds, one stone. We get Claire and Jill back, and we get to see an interesting interaction between Leon and Jill while getting to know more about Chris and Claire as siblings. Hell, at some point, they can even give us a proper Chris and Leon team up as well as Claire and Jill. Resident Evil 7, two campaigns, make it happen Capcom.

I cant believe I am actually saying this, but this would be my absolute dream scenario and I would fricking love this to death. I am not a proponent of this Team chris vs Team Leon nonsense and I would love them to team up. They are like the Superman and Batman of Resident Evil. And for Jill to finally meet Leon and all the big 4 together in one story with lots of interaction with each other - I goddamn love that idea. Make it happen, Capcom indeed.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I heavily disagree. It made no sense to me that Chris would retire, the guy isnt 60 or anything. [...]

Well, I didn't say he should retire, just that RE6 would have been the perfect opportunity if Capcom wanted him to, and that it would be stupid to come up with a similar story again if they changed their mind and decided to retire/kill him off in the next game.

That game has its flaws and some very bad story moments but Chris´story wasnt one of them.

I could write an entire essay about how flawed and utterly nonsencial the story of Chris's RE6 campaign is, starting with the opening cutscene where they pick up an amnesic drunk and send him from rampaging at some bar to fighting bioterrorism in China with no training, as if the BSAA had no other captains after all these years. But that's a topic for a different thread. This one is about the other Redfield.

You dont care what happens to the single most important female Resident Evil-character?

That's right, I don't care what happens to the dullest and most boring female Resident Evil character ever. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I can't help it. I'm a fan of interesting characters, and to me, Jill is not one of them. I haven't completely given up on her yet, there is some potential after all, but if they don't use it, I wouldn't mind her remaining AWOL.

And why is it that just because two people have feelings for each other this qualifies immediately as "soap opera". I think the ongoing lovestory between Leon and Ada is one of the best things in the series specifically because they develope it further from game to game instead of having them pledge their undying love for each other right away. I like this approach of their story growing with every game.

I don't see that at all. Leon and Ada's relationship has stayed exactly the same ever since he found out about her being an agent, and it goes like this: He wants her, she's not really sure if she wants him back, but still keeps helping him occasionally unless she has other plans. That's a soap opera, a story that repeats itself over and over again with minor changes at best, not the general idea of two characters having romantic feelings towards each other. But in normal soap operas, they get together after a few months or two years at most, whereas this one has been going on for 15 years, and the fact that Leon still has a crush on her after all that time which even led him to oppose the BSAA when they were about to get her out of the way (well, that wasn't the real Ada, but it's the thought that counts) makes me doubt the maturity that you see in this love story.

So yeah sry but basically I disagree with about most of what you said lol. But at least I could explain why.

No need to apologise, I don't dislike anyone for having a different opinion. But if we're in for a continuation of this discussion, please let's do so via PM. The thread hasn't even reached its second page and I'm already derailing it. Sorry for that.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
No need to apologise, I don't dislike anyone for having a different opinion. But if we're in for a continuation of this discussion, please let's do so via PM. The thread hasn't even reached its second page and I'm already derailing it. Sorry for that.

That wont be necessary. I would just keep repeating what I already said. I utterly and completely disagree with your statements and no "essays" you could and might write about it is going to change that. And I already stated why I see things the way I do. I really dont have anything to add to that. And no offense but considering that you just stopped responding after a while in the middle of the conversation we had in my introduction thread, I have really no interest in having further conversations with you. I prefer conversations with people who dont suddenly stop responding. So lets just stop right here, please. I stand by my opinions: Chris story in RE 6 was very emotionally satisfying to me, I like what Capcom does with Ada and Leon and Jill to me is the best RE character there is. Period.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
@Deathstroke - You say the reason you love all the series' is because you get to see the characters grow, and develop. ALL Great series' come to an end. Be it Book Series, Anime, TV, Movie, Video Games...They all have a clearly defined ending. When the time is right, it ends...Resident Evil should be NO different. When the time is right that the war is over, RE should end. They shouldn't dishonor what the fans have grown up with, by bringing in several New characters. No...Resident Evil is my all time favorite video game series. I have a wall in my house dedicated it to it for God's sake. But I think it needs to end with either 7 or 8. Make a few non-cannon fun games for a bit, then REboot the series from scratch. But slowly retire the main characters, then end the series. Claire is done. Chris Could be too with the ending they gave him. Now just focus on Leon, Ada, Jill, and potentially Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom