• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Keep Claire Retired

Should Claire Stay Retired!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
You said "She never really resonated with anyone". And that is simply not true. "She didnt resonate with anyone" is not the same as "She didnt resonate with most fans". You claimed that nobody was able to connect to her. Obviously thats not true - just ask the Rebecca fans around here.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You said "She never really resonated with anyone". And that is simply not true. "She didnt resonate with anyone" is not the same as "She didnt resonate with most fans". You claimed that nobody was able to connect to her. Obviously thats not true - just ask the Rebecca fans around here.
My apologies. You and I were looking at two different parts of my post. When I said that part I was meaning after RE0. In other words, not in RE1. The only time she resonated with any players was during her one lead role, and not her side rolls. When I was referring to "most fans" was when I was directly quoting your post.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
But they didn't work together after the mansion incident. Umbrella Chronicles shows the events of Chris after the mansion incident, and he wasn't working with Rebecca. He was working with Jill...Yes, he COULD have worked with Rebecca off screen that we haven't seen yet (Though that's highly unlikely considering ALL the info we have on how the brought down Umbrella is basically laid out start to finish), it still wouldn't help your case in saying that Rebecca has emotional ties with Chris, because we're talking about what we know right now, that way we can discuss the characters making a return or not making a return in the future. So what may have happened off screen that we don't know about, can't further a point on why she should come back.

Basically, from what we know right now, from everything that has happened from 1998 through 2013 involving Chris, Rebecca was involved for VERY little of it. Especially when you compare it to his involvement with Claire and Jill. Here is the timeline proving so...

1998 - Mansion Incident - Chris, Jill, Barry, Rebecca
1998 - Chris Disappears to Europe. No one knows his whereabouts.
1998 - Raccoon City Incident - Claire shows up searching for Chris
1998 - Rockfort Island/Antarctica - Chris and Claire
2003 - Chris and Jill go to Russia
2005 - Chris and Jill - Events of Revelations
2007-2008 area - Chris and Jill infiltrate Spencer's Hideout
2009 - Chris looking for Jill in Africa

This is a confirmed timeline. Rebecca is short lived. Not long enough to really build any emotional connection.
Okay what was the point of this post? I didn't know Rebecca's worth as a character or a worthy reason to return lies in how close she may or may not be to Chris (sarcasm).
At the end of the day I'm not a Rebecca hater, I love Rebecca...But I know when something has run it's course, and when bringing it back would jump a shark, or be considered beating a dead horse...
How could she have run her course when she wasn't really given the full chance to run in the race? Also how would bringing her back be jumping a shark (I have never heard this phrase before but for the sake of talking I'll use it) or beating a dead horse? In a series with people like Wesker returning from the dead in CV after clearly dying in RE1 (this is truly "jumping a shark"), Ada and her organization still remaining a mystery (this is beating a dead horse and milking a decaying cow), and Leon being a U.S government agent yet somehow travelling the world fighting biohazards, I don't think bringing back a character with a strong chemistry background as a researcher working with the viruses of the series to prevent futher biohazards (which is what this series is about) is a big stretch at all. Tbh, with her science background, she has better reason to be seen and heard from again than someone like Leon.
But Brad was brought back for all of 5 minutes just to show how frightening Nemesis was, and what his goal was. And I never objected to Barry coming back for story or emotional value...However, I do think he's too old at this point...

Thank you. You've pretty much made my point for me. An explainer of what actually happened to her would be great. I'd love that. But your exact words were "I really feel no connection to Rebecca at all" and that's how most RE fans feel. She was very cool for the game that was RE0, but again, she never really resonated with anyone. I love her as a character herself, but there's a reason Jill is my favorite and not Rebecca. Me, and MOST RE gamers, built more of a connection with Jill...
What would be so wrong with that explainer occuring in the form of a game or even a cgi film. It's like you are basically saying that bc she isn't as popular as Jill (which shouldn't even matter as the girl clearly has people wishing she would return, otherwise you wouldn't see this type of thread on every re forum and message board, often posted many times as she and Barry are more loved than you are giving them credit for) she doesn't deserve a game or a cgi film. You are basically saying to people like me, "oh you only deserve a written file or an official word from Capcom, nothing more, nothing visual, and nothing complex."
My apologies. You and I were looking at two different parts of my post. When I said that part I was meaning after RE0. In other words, not in RE1. The only time she resonated with any players was during her one lead role, and not her side rolls. When I was referring to "most fans" was when I was directly quoting your post.
You just love speaking for this fanbase as if we all feel the same way you do. How do you know Zero was the only time she resonated with any fans? Fyi, I'm sure many people liked her in her side role in RE1 or REmake, at least I did. Zero just made me a bigger fan. You are clearly describing how you feel here, so just say I didn't resonate with her until after RE0. Don't speak for others to try to prove a point.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
Also how would bringing her back be jumping a shark (I have never heard this phrase before but for the sake of talking I'll use it)

The phrase "jumping the shark" is a very commonly used phrase which basically describes a point where a franchise/series went overboard to the point that it irreparably ruined the franchise for its entire remainder. Therefore your example with Wesker in my opinion doesnt qualify. That wasnt an event or a point that ruined the series ever since. Many fans would probably consider RE 5 to be the point where the series jumped the shark (though I dont agree with that. Despite the flaws of RE 5 and 6 I dont feel like RE has jumped the shark yet, especially after Revelations)

and Leon being a U.S government agent yet somehow travelling the world fighting biohazards

Leon isnt just a normal special agent. He is a member of the FOS and they are a special operations units for biohazards. He was specifically hired as Special Agent because of his experience with dealing with BOWs. So dispatching him as Agent over the world to fight BOWs in the name of the US government makes every sense to me. essentially the FOS is the smaller , US-government version of the BSAA.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
The phrase "jumping the shark" is a very commonly used phrase which basically describes a point where a franchise/series went overboard to the point that it irreparably ruined the franchise for its entire remainder. Therefore your example with Wesker in my opinion doesnt qualify. That wasnt an event or a point that ruined the series ever since. Many fans would probably consider RE 5 to be the point where the series jumped the shark (though I dont agree with that. Despite the flaws of RE 5 and 6 I dont feel like RE has jumped the shark yet, especially after Revelations)
No jumping the shark is doing something that is considering forced, or at least that's how Kennedy made it come across. I mean using your definition, Kennedy's reasoning for Rebecca not to return sounds even more ridiculous now. How would her return irreparably ruin the franchise for its entire remainder?

Also how are you going to tell me my Wesker example doesn't count yet your RE5 example does (using your definition)? For some people, Wesker's forced return from the dead could have indicated a turn for the worse just like some people may have considered re5 a turn for the better. They are both opinions and yours is really no more valid than mine so using your definition, I'm not wrong at all to use that Wesker example. Even using my definition, I'm still not wrong bc bringing a dead man back is forced imo.

Leon isnt just a normal special agent. He is a member of the FOS and they are a special operations units for biohazards. He was specifically hired as Special Agent because of his experience with dealing with BOWs. So dispatching him as Agent over the world to fight BOWs in the name of the US government makes every sense to me. essentially the FOS is the smaller , US-government version of the BSAA.
And does this not sound like a ridiculous and forced plot in order for Leon to make appearances to you (knowing you it probably doesn't)? In that case he should have been a BSAA agent. It makes no sense for U.S government agents to be fighting biohazards in the US or any other country when the BSAA exist for that very reason.

Also why do you two always come running to each other defense when it comes to something I post to one of you?

Last edited:

Cheer

Kamen Rider
But Brad was brought back for all of 5 minutes just to show how frightening Nemesis was, and what his goal was. And I never objected to Barry coming back for story or emotional value...However, I do think he's too old at this point...

Well if they could bring back Brad just to kill him. They could bring Rebecca back to save Chris or Jill.

The problem with MOST Resident Evil fans these days is that they dislike the support characters unless they are as what they say Hot and Bad*** like Ada. and as for the main female characters if its not Jill then **** her.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
No jumping the shark is doing something that is considering forced, or at least that's how Kennedy made it come across. I mean using your definition, Kennedy's reasoning for Rebecca not to return sounds even more ridiculous now. How would her return irreparably ruin the franchise for its entire remainder?

Also how are you going to tell me my Wesker example doesn't count yet your RE5 example does (using your definition)? For some people, Wesker's return could have indicated a turn for the worse just like some people may have considered re5 a turn for the better. They are both opinions and yours is really no more valid than mine so using your definition, I'm not wrong at all to use that Wesker example. Even using my definition, I'm still not wrong bc bringing a dead man back is forced imo.

And does this not sound like a ridiculous and forced plot in order for Leon to make appearances to you (knowing you it probably doesn't)? In that case he should have been a BSAA agent. It makes no sense for U.S government agents to be fighting biohazards in the US or any other country when the BSAA exist for that very reason.

Also why do you two always come running to each other defense when it comes to something I post to one of you?

Wow do you simply feel offended by default if someone adresses your points and doesnt agree with them? I just replied to your points because I had something to say about them. I didnt offend you, insult you or did anything wrong except replying in a completely normal manner to the points you made. Because you know this is a discussion forum. If you dont want anybody to discuss the points you make then dont bother posting here at all. And then you even attack me and accuse me of going after you and running to everybodys defense just to spite you? Paranoid much? I just wanted to have a normal discussion about the points you made but once again all you can do is respond with hostility and accusations. Obviously its not possible to have a rational discussion on a forum with you. Why did you even sign up here if you jump down everyones throat who adresses your points? You are acting like a school bully.

And "jumping the shark" has a very clear definition, you cant just interpret that in any way you like. It means exactly what I said and doesnt describe something that is "forced". And I said that the Wesker moment doesnt qualify because I dont know a single RE fan (and I bet you anything anyone here would agree with me) who considers RE Code Veronica the game where the series jumped the shark. Its one of the most beloved games in the series and therefore the very opposite of jumping the shark. A while ago you didnt even know what jumping the shark means and now you think you can tell me that I am wrong about its very clear definition just because you have "another opinion" on it? There is something seriously wrong with you, lady.

From wiki:

Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in an attempt to keep viewers' interest. Its name is taken from a scene from a fifth season episode of the sit-com Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark while on water-skis.[1][2][3]

The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, or creative effort's evolution declines.

Also for your information, the FOS existed alreyd years before the BSAA was created. The BSAA also does not operate under the US-government (while the FOS does) but under UN-jurisdiction. You might as well ask why doesnt every member of the US Special Forces join the UN Forces instead. But well its impossible to have a discussion with you anyway so you could never see someone elses point anyway.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
Content violates forum rules. Warning issued.
Wow do you simply feel offended by default if someone adresses your points and doesnt agree with them? I just replied to your points because I had something to say about them. I didnt offend you, insult you or did anything wrong except replying in a completely normal manner to the points you made. Because you know this is a discussion forum. If you dont want anybody to discuss the points you make then dont bother posting here at all. And then you even attack me and accuse me of going after you and running to everybodys defense just to spite you? Paranoid much? I just wanted to have a normal discussion about the points you made but once again all you can do is respond with hostility and accusations. Obviously its not possible to have a rational discussion on a forum with you. Why did you even sign up here if you jump down everyones throat who adresses your points? You are acting like a school bully.
OMG your obsession with me is sick, like go and get some medicine for that boo.

However to respond to this crybaby post, what are you even talking about? Was i not discussing with you? Yes I clearly was. Did you see me say I was offended or insulted at any time? No you didn't bc I didnt say that at all. Just bc you were offended by my post (it's obvious you were, otherwise I never would have gotten a post filled with so much bi**hing), doesn't mean I was offended by yours or anyone elses. Also when does asking a simple question equal paranoia? Dude, just don't speak for me bc you don't know what you are even talking about.

"jumping the shark" has a very clear definition, you cant just interpret that in any way you like. It means exactly what I said and doesnt describe something that is "forced". And I said that the Wesker moment doesnt qualify because I dont know a single RE fan (and I bet you anything anyone here would agree with me) who considers RE Code Veronica the game where the series jumped the shark. Its one of the most beloved games in the series and therefore the very opposite of jumping the shark. A while ago you didnt even know what jumping the shark means and now you think you can tell me that I am wrong about its very clear definition just because you have "another opinion" on it? There is something seriously wrong with you, lady.
No there is something wrong with you. Did you not see me say that's how the phrase came across to me based on how Kennedy presented it meaning I didn't know what it meant exactly. No, bc you seem so bent on proving I'm wrong when I already clarified I wasn't completely familar with the term. Maybe if you presented the proof for the definition in the first place I wouldnt have said more on it (as I don't believe anything you have to say without it) but nope, nothing.

OMG you are just being egotistical and making stuff up in this post too. So bc you don't know anyone that believes Code Veronica jumped the shark, then that automatically means it didn't? In fact don't even answer this bc it has nothing to do with this conversation as I never said Code Veronica the game jumped the shark, I said Wesker returning from the dead in that game jumped the shark, two completely different things. I mean if you are going to try to call someone out at least get the information right, jeez.
From wiki:

Also for your information, the FOS existed alreyd years before the BSAA was created. The BSAA also does not operate under the US-government (while the FOS does) but under UN-jurisdiction. You might as well ask why doesnt every member of the US Special Forces join the UN Forces instead. But well its impossible to have a discussion with you anyway so you could never see someone elses point anyway.
You love using that wiki all wrong don't you? What does it matter than the FOS existed before the BSAA [although it wasn't spoken about at all in RE4 as he didn't expect to come across a biohazard (so in the real world, the BSAA came first), thus proving that it was in fact a forced plot point in order to justify Leon's and esp Sherry's returns in RE6], none of this changes my mind/opinion that a U.S agent being involved in biohazards esp around the world is forced and ridiculous when bigger groups like the BSAA exist. So i don't even know why you posted this information to try to prove an OPINION wrong.

I don't mind talking to people at all on here, just you. You say I don't want to see other people's point? No I just don't want to yours bc you only want to force your half thought out opinions on others. With that I'm done with you as I would hate to see this thread get locked like your Alex Wesker thread did XD.

Deathstroke

Slade Wilson
Content violates forum rules. Warning issued.
I am obsessed with you just because I tried to have a rational discussion with you before you attacked me out of nowhere just because you dont like me? And I am using wiki wrong simply by posting their definition of something that you cant accept? I have seen people in a state of denial but you are in a whole continent of denial. I have never seen someone so psychotic, twisted and removed from reality as you. Something in your past must have screwed you up really really badly that it turned you into such a hateful, twisted, hostile mockery of the human condition. You make me sick to my stomach. Somebody should put you out of your misery.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
Well if they could bring back Brad just to kill him. They could bring Rebecca back to save Chris or Jill.

The problem with MOST Resident Evil fans these days is that they dislike the support characters unless they are as what they say Hot and Bad*** like Ada. and as for the main female characters if its not Jill then **** her.
I have come to learn that RE fans can be very shallow. I bet if Jill had the body of an anorexic, or if Ada sounded like Ashley, some of their fans would not care about them at all. IMO no one would have cared about Rachael if her body didn't look like that. Then there's the fact that I have seen people say they hate Helena bc she's ugly and call Rebecca "Hank" as a degoratory term just bc she isnt busty.

Then there is the whole Badass thing. Characters like Rebecca, (who as a non combative rookie is more competent than one would expect), Jessica (who was downplaying her competence level) and esp Ashley get some hate bc they aren't presented as stereotypical action girls and worse I feel the hate comes from female fans more. IMO people like to call them weak and annoying just bc they aren't doing Ada like stunts. Weirdly enough Sherry in RE6 slight incompetence is overlooked for some reason and she is still declared a badass yet these women are only judged for their brief moments of incompetence (moments which every character in this series suffers from at times so why are these ladies singled out) and not for the times they do kick ass. In fact I would say that only Ashley and Rachael (a character who somehow is loved on forums) aren't badass ladies. Every other woman in this series are badasses in different ways imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom