• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does resdient evil still scare you?

Does resident evil still scare you?

• Yes

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • No

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters

Volthora

Honestly none of the Resident Evil games are all that scary, although they do make you jump now and then (having said that, RE2 & RE3 used to scare me back in the days. I remember calling RE2 "The scary game" when I was telling my parents about it...).

Number 4 was somewhat decent, but more of an action horror game to me. And RE5 has nothing to do with survival horror at all in my opinion, I'd rather call it a 3rd person shooter, although it is a quite enjoyable game.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Well I can completely agree with your first paragraph.:) None of them are really scary, but all of them probably have at least one part where something pops out. The only fear I would say I have found in RE though is the fear & tension that just comes in with the game, knowing you are about to die when you walk into a room on Caution and there are 3 Hunters in the room...or when your health is almost gone and there is a Dr. Salvador right on your ass.:)

I don't think I would label RE4 as an action game, it had some action, but so did RE3 & CVX, and even plenty of other games, and while Survivor & Survivor 2, & Dead Aim are all first person shooters, people still accept them more than RE4 or RE5...

I think RE5 has plenty to do with Survival/Horror, and was a terrific game, I had my complaints, but I also had them for every other game so it wasn't so bad I guess...

Volthora

Perhaps saying that RE4 was an action horror was taking a it bit overboard.

As for RE5 my point was that RE5 doesn't remind me of a survival horror compared to other great titles such as Fatal Frame/Project Zero, Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, Penumbra, classic RE's etc.
Sure there were monsters in it, but that really doesn't make it a horror game to me, I don't really think there was any scary or dark atmospheric places in it, except for perhaps that one cavern.

Also I don't like the new way they present Bosses, the way they are introduced "in your face" in a cutscene. I would rather they did like in Code Veronica: You see Alfred release the Tyrant, but you don't know when it'll come to get you, which is a very frightening thing, as it keeps you on guard, and it affects what weapons/items you'll take along.

So all in all, I think the story line is great, but the execution of the game could be so much better in my opinion. But yes it is a terrific game in it's own right, I just guess I hoped to get more scared than I got, because it didn't feel any horror like to me.

And if nothing else, we can always agree to disagree :).

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
We don't have to agree to dissagree, as I agree about RE5's bosses, which is one of the only complaints about the gameplay, in addition to the removing of typewriters, having the HUD always present, and making it in chapters instead of one big experience.

The way the bosses were presented in RE5 I felt was lame and just didn't feel at all natural. It seemed like you get to the end of a level, then boss fight. And most of the bosses just seemed to be there for the sake of having a boss fight, while in others there was more meaning to it. It turns out that he giant bat that for some reason was coming at you in that truck actually had a reason, apparently Irving was using it for a deal or something, and was upset about Chris & Sheva ruining his plans and all, so he sent it after them, but alot of it still applies to feeling like you are just fighting a boss for no reason other than to do so...

I think Capcom tried to make it a point that it doesn't have to be in the dark to be horror, and I think they did that just fine, and let us not forget the first part of RE3 was daylight, and in Antartica it sure was pretty bright looking to me, and even RE4 managed to have a really eery feeling at the beginning in the village.:)

RE5 doesn't exactly have things popping out at you, but it does play plenty with the survival aspect, and the horror is present mainly throughout the tension in the game. It was a fun game, but it could have been so much more, I bet we can agree on that, and despite the complaints that either of us may have for it, it is still a nice addition to the series.:)

Volthora

I do agree with you that it doesn't have to be dark to be horror, although it would be pretty scary to run around in a dark room full of monsters, with nothing more than a flashlight :p (that method has been overdone I know).

All in all, I guess it is up to each of us what scares us. Personally I am very afraid of the dark as well as snakes. So Metal Gear 3, did freak me out now and then, but I never really felt that tension in RE5 (I was more interested in getting cash to upgrade my precious Magnum).

But yes, I very much agree with your last post, and RE5 is a good addition to an excellent series.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
You never felt that tension? That is something that I feel has always existed, like when you are being chased by Asteroth(The Executioner) or being chased by that chainsaw wielding guy....

Levan

Polkka. lol
Resident Evil 0-3 was pretty scary, especially with Nemesis and Mr. X or the zombies that are just popping out of nowhere. They did a pretty good job with outbreak as well, you can feel both tension and fear at that game since first of all you can't pause the game, then zombies can actually go through doors and stuff. Plus in that game zombies are actually pretty fast, and the "Nemesis" factor is included there(where the bosses actually follow you around) which makes both File #1 and #2 the most scariest games of the Resident Evil Franchise.

But meh, RE 4 and RE5, the only thing that's scary there now is the thought of brutally dying from enemies, like getting your head cut off by a chainsaw majini/ganado or U-3 following you around with a time limit, etc etc. It still had scares now and then but not that much.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
You just described a couple of RE4's good moments, and you said, "meh"...

I think it is wierd how anyone could take all of the great moments in RE4 or RE5, parts there for horror, parts that most everyone enjoyed, and just put it all in one category, the "meh" category.:(

I think alot of people get too used to seeing comments hating on RE4 & RE5 that they begin to believe it and they comletely forget about all of the great moments...

^I agree. Some people are so upset over the fact that there are no zombies and because it has a different layout, they fail to realize the really good parts about it. People point out minor flaws or blindly find other reasons to hate the game that's not even worth hating the game over. Like Leon's "new" personality for example. Or the merchant. Honestly, is the merchant really worth hating RE4 over? I've heard examples like these before, sad really. The good about the game overides anyflaws they have givin the new Resident Evil design. Although I do wish they bring some more of the horror back, I still love RE4.

RE4 is a great game and RE5 had great gameplay. (IMO) I have to say that RE4 was more "scary" in gameplay and enemies while RE5 had more scary tension in some of it's cutscenes. "Is Wesker gonna die? Is Chris gonna die? Is Sheva gonna die? Is Jill really dead? OMG!" Ya know what I mean. I like Leon better but a fight between Chris and Wesker definately gives more scary tension than a midget and his pet roaches.

RE5 should have had more monsters like the regenerators, I think they contributed a huge horror factor to the later parts of RE4, ask anyone what their favorate non-boss enemie was and I bet at least 80% if not more will tell you the regenerators. They really gave the feel of an old RE game if you ask me. You walk into a dark room and don't see s**t yet you hear, "huuuuuh haaaannn" similar to the holy crap feeling you got when you went into a room with a licker in RE2 but couldn't see it yet.

RE5 didn't really have anything like that. While RE4 had it's scary moments, overall both REs are a different kind of scary.

Now to answer the overall question. Does RE still scare me? Well since RE5is the game that was last released, my answer is no. It is not scary like the olds ones, not in that sense. The only thing that scares me now is how much more can they kill the story.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
I think one thing that makes RE5 "less scary" would be that by RE5, we are all like Chris, we have experienced all of these things previously, we become desensitized to the mutations, and the horror, and thus make it much less frightening. And that when we played the other RE's we were younger and new to it.:)

Levan

Polkka. lol
Spike991;45192 said:
You just described a couple of RE4's good moments, and you said, "meh"...

I think it is wierd how anyone could take all of the great moments in RE4 or RE5, parts there for horror, parts that most everyone enjoyed, and just put it all in one category, the "meh" category.:(

I think alot of people get too used to seeing comments hating on RE4 & RE5 that they begin to believe it and they comletely forget about all of the great moments...

I don't think of it seriously terrible, I just think that some of the scary moments in RE4/RE5 can't match some, or if not, most of the scare factors of the pre RE4 games, especially with Outbreak. Sorry if I kind of made it look like it was bad there. D:

Well, I gotta agree with the being young thing there, but when it got to RE2 and RE3, even at my age I could probably scream if I see Mr. X or Nemesis coming in from different directions, lol, or Lickers making odd sounds and you can't see them. Especially the bosses from Outbreak, like the leechman or the Mr. X look-a-like tyrant. I gotta say, if I compile every scary moment in both RE4 and RE5 and choose the top one, the parts with the Regenerators would be my top pick, cause like what 013 said, the sounds they make and the creepy, creepy music gives me the feeling of the older RE games' scary moments.

D

Deleted member 1428

When I got my first RE game, it used to scare the crap out of so every 30 minutes I'd be like, " This is freaking scaring me now D: o_O." But now it doesn't scare me one bit :D!

Volthora

Spike991;45157 said:
You never felt that tension? That is something that I feel has always existed, like when you are being chased by Asteroth(The Executioner) or being chased by that chainsaw wielding guy....

They revealed the executioner before the game even came out, and after the first cutscene featuring him, you kinda knew that he was going to come after you, besides he was really easy to dodge and get away from.

As for the chainsaw guys, they somewhat freaked me out in RE4 the first time I saw them. Even though one of them were on the front cover, I didn't really expect them to appear in the village at the start of the game, so that was a bit of a shocker.
In RE5 they were more (sorry to use the word) meh. It honestly felt like they were there just to be there, because they were in RE4, same with the El Gigante.

SPOILER COMING UP!

The only point in RE5, where I was all "Holy mother of all that is holy RUN Sheva!!!" was when walking down the licker infested corridor at the facility, when Sheva said something like "Seems they haven't noticed us, let's proceed quietly" and then near the end, my stupid AI partner starts shooting at them... you figure out what happened after (although we did escape, but only barely).

SPOILER END

I know I have been repeating myself over the last few post's so I might as well mention the two things that killed the "Fear you cannot forget" for me.

1. The HUD and that the game is split into stages, it kinda breaks the immersion to me, and reminds me that it's just a game. And to me, immersion is what makes a game scary.

2. The in your face bosses, I'd rather they just suddenly turn up catching you of guard, rather than getting a fancy cutscene. Yes I know they did the same thing in some of the old games, but I really think they overdid it in this one.

I know money makes the world go around, but it really felt to me as if they were more focused on making a game that would sell good, and possibly appeal to as many as possible, rather than make a great horror game.
As said before while I agree that RE5 is a great addition to the series.... it still pales compared to the old games, even compared to RE4.

And this is my final word in this case. Otherwise I'll just start repeating myself over and over, which I already have done too many times.... phew.

....also please notice that these are all my opinions and what makes a game scary may differ from person to person, and I mean no disrespect to those who actually think this is game is scary....

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Yeah that Licker part was extremely intense, I was on the brink of dying the entire time, then even though Sheva had health and all, she of course wasted it and we were both dying by the end....that first time I didn't even get to mow all of them down, I ran for th exit...

But in addition to that, I think there are plenty more, like the hated Reapers(giant roaches), and even the Chainsaw & Axe guys had their moments.:) Obviously the only reason we have a chainsaw guy is because of RE4, and same with the El Gigante, but do think they gave us some good moments, even in Mercs, which in it's own right even cranks up the tension with making not only death a factor, but time as well.:)

^Aside from the deaths not being very detailed I really apreciated the sub bosses. It adds alot, it keeps fighting regular monsters from getting boring or too easy.

And yeah, one of my "Oh s**t" factors had to be when Sheva was like, "We wouldn't last if there were a pack of them." (Or something like that.) 2 seconds later, LICKER AMBUSH!!!

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Oh yeah the deaths seemed less gory than stuff we have seen previously...but this isn't the first time Capcom had done that...

Oh yeah I remember that, leave it to Sheva to open her big mouth.:) You know I don't think we appreciate the horror in the games until looking back at it, otherwise it might be more annoying than anything.:) Like those Reapers for example, I hate those ****ers, but looking back at them they gave some intense moments...

Volthora

I actually forgot about the reapers, during my first encounter with them they actually "instant killed" me, and I was like "What the F***, just happened!?".

I remember when I first encountered one, i'll tell ya I was NOT expecting an instant death. Especially not like that.

Funny, the only thing that has killed me more than or just as much as Wesker are the reapers. And to add to my sorrow this game actually tells you how many times you've had your ass handed back to you by each enemy. Lol

"Oh by the way Wesker is responsible for 90% of your deaths in the entire game." Gee thanks. :dry: Cuz I just don't suck bad enough to the point where you have to tell me that i've been skewered by the reapers 487 times. What happened to the good old days where the game just told you how many times you saved? Then later it was, "Hey you beat the game, but guess how many times you died? Yeah, that's how bad you suck." Lol j/k.

Spike991;45335 said:
Oh yeah the deaths seemed less gory than stuff we have seen previously...but this isn't the first time Capcom had done that...

Oh yeah I remember that, leave it to Sheva to open her big mouth.:) You know I don't think we appreciate the horror in the games until looking back at it, otherwise it might be more annoying than anything.:) Like those Reapers for example, I hate those ****ers, but looking back at them they gave some intense moments...

Especially on that part where you're on your way to fight Jill and Albert and you have to fight like 3 at a time. (At the start of chapter 5-3) I died about 99999999999999 times and I must say, thank you capcom for proximity bombs. Blew all them biz nitches up.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Yeah I used the Proximity Bombs too, as Sheva wasn't going to do her job of course.:)

And they also worked like a timer, they blow up 1, then 2 then 3 then I am dead.:)

Top Bottom