• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Can zombies generate offspring?

Female zombie just turned. Is her genetic makeup suitable for development of a fetus?

• Yes, her body should provide what's necessary for the development.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No, her body would not prove suitable for the development of the fetus.

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

3rd Mutation

So, make your choice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't zombies be able to have offspring? This question is theoretical. Theoretically, a female zombie's body would have the necessary attributes for a fetus to develop? Even if the fetus is a zombie fetus, living off the digested food the zombie managed to eat? The birth of a zhild(zombie child) would be painless, as zombies cannot feel pain. :confused:

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
At first, I was like, 'sure why not', but upon second consideration I'm not entirely sure if a female zombie would still- and excuse my language boys- ovulate and have her menstrual cycle. I mean, she is technically dead right?

I really don't know. I think if this is going to be discussed theoretically, we need to discuss what a zombie is and how it's body functions, aha.

3rd Mutation

Good point. Firstly, we will need to decide if we are referring strictly to the zombies in the Resident Evil universe or zombies in general. Guess with zombies in general any average Joe can make up his own zombie fiction as nobody owns zombies, so for the time being we're referring to the zombies of the Resident Evil universe, right?

Time to take the zombie anatomy apart, then. ;)
Secondly, do zombies breathe oxygen? How can they not? Oxygen is needed in the muscles to function and in the brain.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
If we're talking about RE zombies, I don't believe they breathe oxygen. The most prominant example is in the first RE movie- the female zombie was underwater for quite some time and she still lived.

In CV, there are zombies in the graveyard that must have been buried for years, I'd say. But, then again, you can also counteract that and say that they probably weren't zombies for all that time, but once the infection spread they re-surfaced. So, I'm not sure.

As for zombie anatomy, I know in the movies that the Red Queen tells us that hair and fingernails continue to grow past death. So, I think it might be possible in that universe. However, I'm kind of inadequate when it comes to reading game files, so I'm not entirely sure how it is in the game. I just can't see a female zombie being all that fertile, aha.

Well about the menstral thing, doesn't the t-virus change the genetic coding? Maybe they wouldn't need to have it anymore.

And though it would should as if it made sense. I don't think so. The body is constantly rotting, peices falling off. Eventually the body would be so badly rotted it would not have the proper muscles left to even move, let alone create new life. That's just my opinion.

rocklikebrucelee

Well, Jill/Chris pulled the plug on that one zombie in the bath tub. So I think it's safe to say the zombies don't need oxygen to survive.
Well, they do make groans and stuff too...so maybe they have the choice of breathing or not??? :\
What if the zombie was already pregnant?

In the RE movies, it says the T-virus turns the zombies primal, and they rely only on very basic instincts/needs... so that includes the need to reproduce, no? I don't think they'd put that in any RE games though! lol then i wouldn't be able to play them until my next birthday xD

3rd Mutation

Lol, hope not, the G-Virus has that urgent need to reproduce, though.
I can't accept that zombies don't need oxygen.
According to wikipedia:
An aerobic organism or aerobe is an organism that can survive and grow in an oxygenated environment.[1]
This includes all living organisms(Except bacteria) even fungi, which needs oxygen.

Let's be serious. In order to be kinetic zombies need muscles and muscles need oxygen. Perhaps zombies need little oxygen or uses very little or have some way of utilizing small amounts of oxygen over an extended period of time.

And though it would should as if it made sense. I don't think so. The body is constantly rotting, peices falling off. Eventually the body would be so badly rotted it would not have the proper muscles left to even move, let alone create new life. That's just my opinion.

Hmm, if the zombie keeps feeding, the necessary nutrients gained would prevent the bodies cellular integrity from intense deterioration. - A basic instinct of any organism is survival.

This is an interesting extract from the Reswikia:

It is possible that Zombies consume living tissue in order to repair their bodies. Nutrients from a newly deceased victim may aid the Zombies body, allowing reproduction of the reanimated tissue.

Rollin6z

You guys are talking about Zombies getting freaky, do you know how disturbed that is?? lmfao

bruno

Chief Researcher
Well, Jill/Chris pulled the plug on that one zombie in the bath tub. So I think it's safe to say the zombies don't need oxygen to survive.

There's lots of zombies coming out of the water in Dead Aim and Outbreak 2, so they probably don't need to breathe. I doubt their lungs still work. Their blood is almost stagnated inside of the body, so i think the organs are useless.

In the RE movies, it says the T-virus turns the zombies primal, and they rely only on very basic instincts/needs... so that includes the need to reproduce, no?

I think they were reffering to hunting, not reproducing.
And i don't think they really need to eat (their digestive system probably doesn't work), they're hungry because of the hormones released from the brain (this is what i think).

aintnoscrub

PSN: floaty_McTurd
Premium
if they had the correct motor skills to be able to figure it out, and the female zombie had maybe just changed..so her insides werent already rotting away, then maybe, just maybe theres the smallest chance.
lol
such a random question.

3rd Mutation

I agree, I still don't see a problem with a zombie carrying a fetus, look at my post before, the extract from the resident evil wiki. If a zombie keeps eating, it won't rot, the nutrients gained will reconstruct its cells thereby under the right conditions giving it the capability of childbearing.

Now, unto the subject of with/without oxygen...
I know the zombies are undead, but the RE series have always kept true to its scientific route and if a zombie inhales no oxygen it cannot possibly move, as already stated that oxygen is needed for muscles to function.

Levan

Polkka. lol
rocklikebrucelee;47086 said:
What if the female zombie is at an early stage of infection? just seconds after she's revived?

I have a question related to rocklikebrucelee's, what if a woman was impregnated from the start, and then turns into a zombie? Would that have caused the baby to turn into a baby zombie as well? D:

For me I don't really think it's possible. Shooting a zombie anywhere on the body would only do minor damage to them, so like what bruno said, organs seems to be useless to them.

^Im almost certain that the t-virus would indeed infect the baby. But because of the circustances, would it turn into a zombie or something else? The baby is still inside the womb so who knows what differences it has from an ordinary zombie.

Levan

Polkka. lol
Yeah, maybe, but if the baby turns into a zombie in the middle of the pregnancy, and the mother would turn into a zombie as well, then the baby would be feeding off of it's mother, and I don't think zombies eat each other, right? D:

bruno

Chief Researcher
huh... it depends on how much time it takes to turn into a zombie. When a zombie takes the first bite to a person, it is infecting that person, so that person will soon be a zombie. If the zombie is still feeding on the person when it turns to a zombie, it is considered a zombie eating other zombie (in the older games, sometimes a zombie or a group of them is eating a person and then they attack you, and the person being eaten also rises up to attack you).
I think zombies like fresh flesh, not rotten. So, it might be possible for a zombie to eat another zombie, if the one being eaten isn't rotting yet.
Sorry if this post is too confusing, lol. :wacko:
Remember that a fetus doesn't have teeth though, wich would make it hard to feed on other living being's flesh.

3rd Mutation

Levan;47095 said:
For me I don't really think it's possible. Shooting a zombie anywhere on the body would only do minor damage to them, so like what bruno said, organs seems to be useless to them.

I don't believe the organs are useless. Remember that the T-Virus severely affects the nervous system, that is why a zombie is incapable of feeling pain as its brain can't process the messages from the nervous system. Perhaps some organs don't work and others, necessary do.

Sorry if this post is too confusing, lol.
Remember that a fetus doesn't have teeth though, wich would make it hard to feed on other living being's flesh.

This is the thing I had in mind:

What if a bunch of scientists strapped a female zombie in a lab and gave it every nutrient to survive and for all cells to function properly and undergo cellular regeneration.
If a sperm sample is inserted, could under the right conditions conception happen. (If the zombie is given the necessary nutrients)?

Top Bottom