• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Albert Wesker to return in RE7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
http://nerdreactor.com/2014/05/04/wesker-to-return-to-resident-evil-series/
There's a rumor going around that Wesker will be returning in Resident Evil 7, as Ken Lally, Wesker's mo cap actor tweeted a photo of him and Reuben Langdon(Chris Redfield Mo cap) in the motion capture studio all dressed up in the mo cap gear.
Although DC Douglas stated that he hasn't been called yet so this is strange.

Once Wesker was killed off in RE5, that was pretty much it for Resident Evil, Wesker wasn't just the villain of Resident Evil, he WAS Resident Evil, he was the one who started it all in the first game and he developed over the entire series, the franchise is nothing without him and RE6 was proof that Resident Evil is done and done.
Yeah I think bringing Wesker back would be cheap, but I've lost all respect for Resident Evil so I'd be happy if Wesker was brought back just for the sake of seeing him again.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Wesker wasn't just the villain of Resident Evil, he WAS Resident Evil [...] the franchise is nothing without him.

RE2, 3, and the other successful entries before 5 where Wesker didn't appear at all or just in a minor role would like to have a word with you.

On topic: The moment Wesker comes back from the dead again is the moment I lose all respect for Resident Evil. Surviving a Tyrant impalement and a plunge out of a high window is still somewhat believable given the circumstances, but if he doesn't die from two rockets straight to the face while submerged in lava, they'll have to create a singularity or something to get rid of him for good. And aside from the ridiculousness, I don't want him back either; even Simmons had more depth as a villain than Wesker.

xMobilemux

Wesker was in his behind the scenes roll during RE2 & 3 as Umbrella Chronicles showed us and really his behind the scenes roll is what made him a real compelling villain.
Simmons was pathetic and a rushed attempt at making a new villain for a new bad game, Simmons motive was "Simmons wanted to bang Ada and Ada said no".
Simmons, Carla and Neo Umbrella could have been something good, but they only lasted one bad game.

The saying is that Capcom believes Wesker is the money maker of the series and the reason why RE5 is the best selling in the series so they wanna bring him back for money, there's Capcoms stupidity again, always trying to think about what will make money instead of actually making a good game.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Wesker was in his behind the scenes roll during RE2 & 3 as Umbrella Chronicles showed us and really his behind the scenes roll is what made him a real compelling villain.
Simmons was pathetic and a rushed attempt at making a new villain for a new bad game, Simmons motive was "Simmons wanted to bang Ada and Ada said no".
Simmons, Carla and Neo Umbrella could have been something good, but they only lasted one bad game.

The saying is that Capcom believes Wesker is the money maker of the series and the reason why RE5 is the best selling in the series so they wanna bring him back for money, there's Capcoms stupidity again, always trying to think about what will make money instead of actually making a good game.
His story doesn't matter. At the time 2 and 3 came out, they were hugely popular, and he wasn't in them. Wesker does not make RE. Never has. Games always have to grow and develop. I love Wesker, but to bring him back would be taking a step in the WRONG direction. Most of what you've said has been opinion based, and has no real relevant facts about it. Again, I'm not DOGGING Wesker. I really like him. But all good things must come to an end.

xMobilemux

Wrong direction? Resident Evil has been going in that direction since RE5, everybody knows that, bringing Wesker back wouldn't make things any better or worse, it'll just be fan service and since RE is pretty much done and done, some fan service would be quaint.
Without Wesker, Resident Evil just doesn't have it's impact anymore, he developed over the entire series and when he died RE just lost it, they could have made something out of Simmons, Carla and Neo Umbrella, but they killed them off in one game and now RE has nothing left but Alex Wesker and I'm willing to bet he'll only last one game too.
Albert Wesker is the one character who has appeared the most in the series and is easily the face of the franchise, he started everything.
I'd be happy to see Wesker again if he goes one on one with Jake, I hope he does come back.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
His story doesn't matter. At the time 2 and 3 came out, they were hugely popular, and he wasn't in them.

Bingo.

I'm not a fan of Simmons either, but in his defence, his reason for being a villain is rather political and therefore goes beyond "My lover disappointed me, so the world must be punished". If anything, that's Carla's justification, and it's a weak one, but at least she has one; what annoys me about Wesker is that he's just evil for no reason other than that the story needs an antagonist, his entire "personality" revolves around being the bad guy, and nothing else. And unlike Simmons, who only appeared in one game and arguably didn't have enough time to establish himself as a decent, believable character, Wesker had much more time in the limelight than any other villain and still didn't manage to do so either, at least not in my book. One more game with him won't change that unless they hire some really good storytellers, but it's rather unlikely.

Sadly, that's the truth, and Capcom aren't the only ones who think like this. If you ask me, RE5 sold so well because of how hot Chris was, but... yeah. Whatever. RE6's story was ridiculous for the most part, and resurrecting Wesker would only make it worse from a narrative point of view. I wouldn't mind him appearing in flashbacks, though.

Reactions: Jen

xMobilemux

Resident Evil's story was always stupid, cloning Ada was just more stupid added on top of the already existing stupid, cloning or resurrecting Wesker wouldn't really be surprising.
Capcom were never good at stories and I personally don't want them to be, IMO Story focused games are ruining gaming and causing games with potential to become nothing but generic show and tells like those god awful Devil May Cry and Tomb Raider reboots. Good thing is some developers are finally getting that Story is overrated, just hope more developers get that.

The more horrible rumor that is out there right now is that Alice from the movies will finally be showing up in the games, however she will be a Mercs only character, since I don't play much Mercs anymore I won't care so much about that.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I kind of agree with xMobilemux. Wesker has had a pivotal presence in the Resident Evil franchise, which is why Capcom even tried replicating him with Jake Muller. Even then, what did Resident Evil 6 offer in terms of universe? Nothing. It didn't do anything to establish a series or anything to look forward to. It was just another story with a villain of the day with no greater importance, just like Resident Evil 4. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Resident Evil 5 was the swan song of the series. Once Wesker died, what's left? Everything the series was building to since day one was over. Now we have this cheap military plot device that keeps our characters fighting pointless threats across the world.

I'm not saying Wesker should return in the next game, though I wouldn't mind considering how stupid they ended him in RE5... which was still too soon for me. Just that the series hasn't really gone anywhere special since Wesker's demise. Personally, I'd like to see this Alex Wesker character come out from the shadows and take over as main villain. Even one up Albert Wesker, make him deadlier, creepier, more ferocious. This is supposed to be a survival horror game after all. So I want to feel like this guy is really a threat, be clever with him.

If the tweet above truly means anything for the next Resident Evil game, I think I'm more excited to see that Chris Redfield will be returning. He IS the main character of the franchise, more so than Leon. So I'd be glad to see that Capcom isn't ready to toss him aside like most lame, yes, lame people want. I don't get the obsession people have with getting rid of protagonists...

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Why are you wanting Wesker back SO bad, when there is still the unexplained "Alex Wesker" Capcom can explore. You can call the story "Stupid" for RE all you want, and you can even bash on the DmC reboot just because you're afraid of change, but if you want a generic, non-story driven game, then go play CoD: Zombies. Story is Thin. Character Development is non-existent, and it will leave you entertained for about as long. Wesker WASN'T Resident Evil and never has been. Resident Evil is about humanity. And how humans will react when faced with the threat of extinction. Be it on a small scale, OR a large one. RE6 wasn't bad. The reason I think everything THINKS it was bad is because A. It got REALLY over hyped, or B. They didn't like the new gameplay direction. Well, while it's not exactly SCARY, RE6 played more REALISTICALLY than RE1. While RE1 is better, where is the common sense in not being able to do certain things that people would DEFINITELY do in order to survive an event like that. Turo and I have had the argument MANY times that Story based games are better or worse than games focusing on Gameplay, so I won't even get INTO that one with ya...

Oh, and BTW, the DmC reboot was fantastic. The SINGLE problem with the game was Dante's new look. The Story, the Gameplay, the weapons, the graphics...They were all MAGNIFICENT. And hell, you can even unlock a costume to play through the game as the original Dante we all know and love. There are more important things in a character than Silver hair...

xMobilemux

You're just another story hound who thinks that anyone who doesn't worship sh**ty story focused games and even more sh**ty streamlined games like DmC is just a CoD hound? I know, I've meet hundreds of people like you.
I've explained in legit detail over and over again why DmC is sh*t but story hounds like you will never accept it because you only like stories and you'll just resort to calling me a CoD hound, just like EVERY SINGLE story hound I've talked to, calling people a CoD hound is all you story hounds have and it's sad really.
If you'd been paying attention to anything I've been saying over story focused games on this forum in the past and clearly you haven't, it's how much I hate generic games and you what? Story focused games ARE the generic crap I hate, they focus entirely on their stories and the ends up gameplay sucking, but since you only like story, you wouldn't understand.

I don't want Wesker back SO bad, Resident Evil can just go die for all I care, it's sh*t now, I only want to see Wesker back just for the sake of seeing him back in a RE game, I know Alex Wesker will just last one game and be killed off, so why the hell should I give a damn?
Resident Evils story has always been stupid and ridiculous whether you like it or not and since RE6 has royally f**ked it up with cloning and s**t, bringing Wesker back wouldn't be surprising.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
You're just another story hound who thinks that anyone who doesn't worship sh**ty story focused games and even more sh**ty streamlined games like DmC is just a CoD hound? I know, I've meet hundreds of people like you.
I've explained in legit detail over and over again why DmC is sh*t but story hounds like you will never accept it because you only like stories and you'll just resort to calling me a CoD hound, just like EVERY SINGLE story hound I've talked to, calling people a CoD hound is all you story hounds have and it's sad really.
If you'd been paying attention to anything I've been saying over story focused games on this forum in the past and clearly you haven't, it's how much I hate generic games and you what? Story focused games ARE the generic crap I hate, they focus entirely on their stories and the ends up gameplay sucking, but since you only like story, you wouldn't understand.

I don't want Wesker back SO bad, Resident Evil can just go die for all I care, it's sh*t now, I only want to see Wesker back just for the sake of seeing him back in a RE game, I know Alex Wesker will just last one game and be killed off, so why the hell should I give a damn?
Resident Evils story has always been stupid and ridiculous whether you like it or not and since RE6 has royally f**ked it up with cloning and s**t, bringing Wesker back wouldn't be surprising.
...If you hate RE so much, and nearly everyone here has disagreed with you so far, then why bother continuing? The fact is, you DON'T know that Alex Wesker will only last one game. NONE of us do. Hell, we don't even know if Alex alive, dead, hero, or villain. So you can't say a THING about knowing how he'll be used. You can hate "Generic" games all you want, but that's what RE6 was...Generic. Wanna know why, because it focused more on Gameplay OVER Story. I really enjoyed RE6. I think it's one of the best entries in the series. And you haven't said anything so far to prove you're NOT a CoD hound. Once you do that, then maybe I'll stop making those remarks, but it doesn't alter the fact that based on what you previously typed, that DEFINITELY how it's coming across. Why bother ADVANCING level by level in a game if NOT to find out what happens next in the story. If you just want a game for gameplay, then you may as well play the same one level over and over. In the 80's, during the Super Mario Bros. Era, that would be one thing. You really couldn't have a great story, OR amazing gameplay. But in today's era, there shouldn't be a problem utilizing both, great gameplay AND story, like in RE4 and 5.

xMobilemux

Look at Last of Us, I'm sure you love it because of the story, but you're probably completely oblivious of it's biggest gameplay flaw that makes it just as much of a lie as Aliens Colonial Marines and just another generic cover shooter.
I'm not a CoD hound because 1: I don't play CoD 2: I want everything about the game to be good, not just the story and not just the gameplay, I thought Last of Us was mediocre because yeah it's story was good, but it's gameplay was generic and boring, I stopped playing Spec Ops the Line after 3 hours because it's gameplay sucked, same with Binary Domain, the stories in those 2 games were said to be amazing, but the games themselves sucked so bad that they were no fun for me to play.
Also let me clear something up for you, I hate STORY FOCUSED games, I don't hate Stories in games, I prefer games that have better gameplay over the story like the Ninja Gaiden games, I love those games, they do have a story, but the gameplay is so much fun and the franchises strong suit, just like Devil May Cry, when NG3 and DmC came along and royally f**ked gameplay in favor of the story is where I started getting ****ed, at least Ninja Gaiden 3 tried to fix things with Razors Edge, DmC is still just as streamlined as ever, I don't want games to have NO story at all, I just want the stories to stop taking priority.

I don't hate Resident Evil, Resident Evil 6 doesn't suck because of it's story, I never said RE6 sucks because of its story, the RE story has always been stupid and I don't mean stupid in a bad way, Capcom has never been good at writing and no RE6 doesn't suck because it's not survival horror, it sucks because it's not Resident Evil. Plus the gameplay in RE6 sucks as well.

Alex Wesker will never be as good as Albert, I know that for a fact because Resident Evil isn't gonna last much longer so Alex may only last one or even maybe 2 games before the he or series dies, I'd rather Alex just stay in his unknown state and bring back Albert for a showdown with Jake because that's all the fans really want for Jake.

Also to answer your question about why continue playing a game if not for the story, it's very simple, it's something called "FUN".

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yeah, we should really cool our sh*t here guys. The two of you clearly have each others thoughts twisted.

Resident Evil has never been known for its breath taking stories, they've always been cheesy and still are. Sure, as of late Capcom has been treating their stories more seriously. It's pretty evident in the character portrayals and constant cinematics. Regardless, the stories still aren't works of art, just cartoon fun at best. As for this story vs gameplay debate, they're both important aspects in any game. Every game needs a motivation and every game needs to be fun. When done correctly, games can thrive on either aspect alone.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yeah, we should really cool our sh*t here guys. The two of you clearly have each others thoughts twisted.

Resident Evil has never been known for its breath taking stories, they've always been cheesy and still are. Sure, as of late Capcom has been treating their stories more seriously. It's pretty evident in the character portrayals and constant cinematics. Regardless, the stories still aren't works of art, just cartoon fun at best. As for this story vs gameplay debate, they're both important aspects in any game. Every game needs a motivation and every game needs to be fun. When done correctly, games can thrive on either aspect alone.
I really can't agree with part of this though man. Saying that they're Cartoon fun isn't true for ALL games. For the older PSone games, I'll agree. And even for RE6 I'll agree. However, if you look at a RE0, REmake, RE4, and RE5, those are all story driven in a SERIOUS way. I mean, the horror aspect of them at the TIME wasn't cheesy either. We look BACK on them and they are, however, and they are cheesy. At the time, this was scary. It may not be about the story per se, but it was about the horror. I'm not about to go on a soap box about how RE isn't horror any more. But when you look at the Gamecube games, and RE5, it was done VERY right.

Also, notice the lack of Wesker in RE0, and RE4.

xMobilemux

Thank you.
Cartoon was basically what I meant about REs story being stupid and since it is overly stupid(cartoon), bringing Wesker back would just be more stupid(cartoon) for the stupid(cartoon) story, I don't mean stupid in a bad way, REs story is just dumb, but the good kind of dumb.
Story and Gameplay do need to be balanced, the problem is, they aren't these days, today the Story is always the priority.

@KenndeyKiller
Wesker was in RE0 and RE4.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I really can't agree with part of this though man. Saying that they're Cartoon fun isn't true for ALL games. For the older PSone games, I'll agree. And even for RE6 I'll agree. However, if you look at a RE0, REmake, RE4, and RE5, those are all story driven in a SERIOUS way. I mean, the horror aspect of them at the TIME wasn't cheesy either. We look BACK on them and they are, however, and they are cheesy. At the time, this was scary. It may not be about the story per se, but it was about the horror. I'm not about to go on a soap box about how RE isn't horror any more. But when you look at the Gamecube games, and RE5, it was done VERY right.

Also, notice the lack of Wesker in RE0, and RE4.

I don't know... Resident Evil 0, REmake, and 5 were still pretty cheesy... Marcus, one-liners, dialogue, brainwashing, boulder punching, what's that about? The first two games mentioned are still scary games, but the story has nothing to do with it.

And no, Wesker was in those games, in his behind the scenes role that he became popular for. People say Wesker wasn't a great character, but that's not why people like him. They like the idea of his character and the role he played. Which is why many were disappointed with his end in Resident Evil 5. His demeanor and accent deserve some credit too.

Story and Gameplay do need to be balanced, the problem is, they aren't these days, today the Story is always the priority.

I don't see how. What games have you been playing? Even to the mass majority, gameplay is more important than story. Just look at the Call of Duty fanbase that rather play pointless matches online than touch the campaign. Not that Call of Duty has anything special to offer anyway.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
I don't know... Resident Evil 0, REmake, and 5 were still pretty cheesy... Marcus, one-liners, dialogue, brainwashing, boulder punching, what's that about? The first two games mentioned are still scary games, but the story has nothing to do with it.

And no, Wesker was in those games, in his behind the scenes role that he became popular for. People say Wesker wasn't a great character, but that's not why people like him. They like the idea of his character and the role he played. Which is why many were disappointed with his end in Resident Evil 5. His demeanor and accent deserve some credit too.

I don't see how. What games have you been playing? Even to the mass majority, gameplay is more important than story. Just look at the Call of Duty fanbase that rather play pointless matches online than touch the campaign. Not that Call of Duty has anything special to offer anyway.
I said a LACK of Wesker. I didn't say he wasn't IN them. He was not the DRIVING force he was in 1 and 5. And even then, he was SO behind the scenes that only real RE fans know about his presence. But ANYONE can pick up a game, like it, and not know about the whole story. I was pointing out the fact that he said Wesker WAS RE. These games mentioned are proof of that NOT being the case. I know my RE timeline. Rather well, up through RE5 at least.

- Marcus wasn't Cheesy. Marcus was a good villain. He LOOKED like Cheesy Final Fantasy character, but he wasn't a cheesy character as a whole.
- One liners don't make games cheesy. Hell, one liners are EVERYWHERE in pop-culture. Whats so wrong with wanting an uttered sentence to be memorable to fans and newbies alike.
- Dialogue, again, has cheesy MOMENTS, and I won't argue that, but as a WHOLE isn't bad. Unless of course we're talking about the original PSone games...Then the dialogue is cheesy almost all the time.

As for boulder punching and brainwashing...Hell, Brainwashing is completely possible. You're a fan of using Hitler as an example Turo, and what did he do to an ENTIRE country. Boulder punching...Well...I'll give you that one. But a few cheesy actions doesn't make the game as a WHOLE cheesy. And that didn't even have to do with the story, which is what I was arguing wasn't cheesy.

xMobilemux

Games like Last of Us, Tomb Raider reboot, Hitman Absolution and of course DmC are the recent and worst offenders, plus there's Spec Ops the Line and Binary Domain I mentioned, the stories in those games are the strong suits while the games themselves are mediocre or crap. Games like them are critically acclaimed for having good stories and crap streamlined gameplay so more games are becoming like them, it's already ruined 2 of my favorite franchises, Tomb Raider and Devil May Cry.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Games like Last of Us, Tomb Raider reboot, Hitman Absolution and of course DmC are the recent and worst offenders, plus there's Spec Ops the Line and Binary Domain I mentioned, the stories in those games are the strong suits while the games themselves are mediocre or crap. Games like them are critically acclaimed for having good stories and crap streamlined gameplay so more games are becoming like them, it's already ruined 2 of my favorite franchises, Tomb Raider and Devil May Cry.
Again, please tell how DmC was just SO bad. Because I've played...And OWN every DMC game. Both the Reboot and the original 4. I've beaten them all save for DMC2, because it's really not that impressive. So I'd love to hear how your opinion on DmC is different than any other DmC hater...Tomb Raider, I won't comment on, because to me those games have ALWAYS been trash..This one was no exception. Last of Us, I haven't played. And Spec Ops, I haven't even HEARD of, so it can't be too acclaimed.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I said a LACK of Wesker. I didn't say he wasn't IN them. He was not the DRIVING force he was in 1 and 5. And even then, he was SO behind the scenes that only real RE fans know about his presence. But ANYONE can pick up a game, like it, and not know about the whole story. I was pointing out the fact that he said Wesker WAS RE. These games mentioned are proof of that NOT being the case. I know my RE timeline. Rather well, up through RE5 at least.

Okay... so what? Wesker's the main villain. He doesn't have to be in your face. I'm not defending the claim the a character is a series, but he's simply what Shredder is to the TMNT, what Magneto is to the X-Men, what Lex Luthor is to Superman. Unless we're talking 4 and up.

- Marcus wasn't Cheesy. Marcus was a good villain. He LOOKED like Cheesy Final Fantasy character, but he wasn't a cheesy character as a whole.
- One liners don't make games cheesy. Hell, one liners are EVERYWHERE in pop-culture. Whats so wrong with wanting an uttered sentence to be memorable to fans and newbies alike.
- Dialogue, again, has cheesy MOMENTS, and I won't argue that, but as a WHOLE isn't bad. Unless of course we're talking about the original PSone games...Then the dialogue is cheesy almost all the time.

Your standards don't seem to be really high...

As for boulder punching and brainwashing...Hell, Brainwashing is completely possible. You're a fan of using Hitler as an example Turo, and what did he do to an ENTIRE country. Boulder punching...Well...I'll give you that one. But a few cheesy actions doesn't make the game as a WHOLE cheesy. And that didn't even have to do with the story, which is what I was arguing wasn't cheesy.

Yes, because manipulation and a red thing on your chest that gives you superhuman abilities is totally the same thing... Dude, even Wesker was cheesy. His lines are insane in Resident Evil 5.

I'm sorry... I can't take your opinion seriously if you think those games focus on story over gameplay. Which btw, all have great gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom