• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Worst Game in the Series! Poll!

Worst Game in the Series

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Legitimate or not, I always have a hard time accepting criticism of the OG game in any series. Without it, there wouldn't be any sequels...

While I respect your opinion, my thoughts on this are - A game simply has to exist for sequels to be a thing. It doesn't have to be good. And while the original Resi did bring a lot to video games, it was far from perfect and is deserving of criticism.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
That's also very valid Jonipoon. It was a breakthrough in gaming history. And how could they have known what to add or improve when they were the pioneers of the genre? Well, mostly at least.

That's why this game is respected and a gaming icon, but RE2 and REmake are more Universally loved. RE2 added all of the features and story beats that propelled RE in to the mammoth it is today. And REmake recreated that amazing first story with all of the sensibilities of beauty of the time period.

The original RE is far from the worst game in the series for me, but I understand the opinion!

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
While I respect your opinion, my thoughts on this are - A game simply has to exist for sequels to be a thing. It doesn't have to be good. And while the original Resi did bring a lot to video games, it was far from perfect and is deserving of criticism.
Yeah, that's true, but come on. RE1 is not THAT bad. You make it sound like it's a terrible game without any redeeming qualities, and basically the only good thing about it is that it paved the way for sequels.

Gameplay-wise, its really not that different from RE2 and RE3 although more stiff and clumsy. Graphics-wise, yeah it sucks, but back then it didn't. And while the voice acting is qualified as being among the worst of the worst in video game history, it's unintentionally funny and has become sort of its own legacy. All these things aside there is ONE thing about RE1 that still holds up today - its story.

Last edited:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
Yeah, that's true, but come on. RE1 is not THAT bad. You make it sound like it's a terrible game without any redeeming qualities, and basically the only good thing about it is that it paved the way for sequels.

Gameplay-wise, its really not that different from RE2 and RE3 although more stiff and clumsy. Graphics-wise, yeah it sucks, but back then it didn't. And while the voice acting is qualified as being among the worst of the worst in video game history, it's unintentionally funny and has become sort of its own legacy. All these things aside there is ONE thing about RE1 that still holds up today - its story.

I think my post was misunderstood. I was speaking about OG games in general when I said they just have to exist, not RE1. I do think the original RE has redeeming qualities. I like the story, I like the mansion, I more or less like the characters and it did introduce the universe. And I did say the original RE1 brought a lot to video games. At the same time, I don't think any game should be immune to criticism just because it's the first in the franchise.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I think my post was misunderstood. I was speaking about OG games in general when I said they just have to exist, not RE1. I do think the original RE has redeeming qualities. I like the story, I like the mansion, I more or less like the characters and it did introduce the universe. And I did say the original RE1 brought a lot to video games. At the same time, I don't think any game should be immune to criticism just because it's the first in the franchise.
I honestly cannot think of any OG games in popular series that are genuinely bad. Most of the time, I think its a matter of how well a game has aged and which game was the first you played in a particular series. That doesn't mean they're immune to criticism, but like I said I have a hard time accepting criticism that basically just boils down to "its old so its unplayable". Is the first Grand Theft Auto game unplayable today? For most people, probably yes. Is it genuinely a bad game though? Probably no. But if you compare it to for example GTA Vice City, I can see why many would make that assumption.

But yes, you did say that RE1 brought a lot to video games. I overlooked it.

Mr.R

I honestly cannot think of any OG games in popular series that are genuinely bad. Most of the time, I think its a matter of how well a game has aged and which game was the first you played in a particular series. That doesn't mean they're immune to criticism, but like I said I have a hard time accepting criticism that basically just boils down to "its old so its unplayable". Is the first Grand Theft Auto game unplayable today? For most people, probably yes. Is it genuinely a bad game though? Probably no. But if you compare it to for example GTA Vice City, I can see why many would make that assumption.

But yes, you did say that RE1 brought a lot to video games. I overlooked it.

I think there is. The original Street Fighter is basically unplayable. It paved the way for most fighting games and it's sequel is the most ifluential fighting game in history, but SF1 is trash. It was just unplayable back then, as it's now.

As for RE1, I think it's a good game. Better than it's direct "rival", Alone in the Dark, for sure. I mean, RE's controls, as clunky as it is, feels amazing compared to Alone in The Dark. But I also recognize that a lot of the mechanics haven't aged well, but I wouldn't say it's a bad game in any way. No Resident Evil (bar Survivor 1 and 2) are really \\ bad \\ games, I guess, in a sense as SF1 is a bad game.

Murrdogg93

For me, I have to go with the game I've played the least... RE 7.

Many things in this game I didn't like...
1. The molded are supposed to be scary, but the fact that Ethan can just block attacks to reduce damage, when he has seemingly no combat training to his character, just makes the molded seem like a joke, when compared to other threats.

2. I personally really dislike the fact that interacting with items or inventory or the map never pauses what's going on. If you're trying to use a key in your inventory but keep getting interrupted, it's more annoying than scary to me.

3. I also really didn't enjoy the crafting in this game. It felt like too many recipes relied on chem fluid, so I would frequently have partial ingredients, much to my annoyance.

4. Also I didn't really like the villains. They felt more like comedy than horror.

I'm no fan of RE 6, but at least that game is an action game flat out trying to be an action game. Much like RE 4 & RE 5, it's not a survival horror focused game like previous games. Also I can at least have someone else play with me, to help negate some of my disliking of the game.

I guess it comes down to me preferring a game that plays more enjoyable as a part of its genre. Meaning, RE 6's Action feels more enjoyable as an Action game. Where, for me, RE 7's survival horror gameplay felt less enjoyable as a survival horror game.

Top Bottom