• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999) Will Resident Evil 3 remake be majorly different from or similar to Resident Evil 2 remake?

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Please, no. Evil Within 2 sucked donkey balls, and part of that was because of the completely unnecessary open-world that felt unfinished and added nothing to the overall story. Generally, open-world is not a suitable concept for horror games since it takes away a lot of the scare factor if you let people roam freely and do optional side quests and so on... It makes the player feel relaxed and in control, which should be the opposite of what horror game developers want to achieve.

All subjective really, just because you think openworld has not place in Horror does not make it so, fact is that many fans such as myself thought Evil Within 2 did a great job blending openworld and horror together, there is something great about having to journey into a horror filled world to scavenge for ammo and weapons that will help you out in the longrun, I loved exploring and dealing with Anima (blackhaired ghost woman) while I was looking for supplies and doing optional quests to get better suited to deal with the horrors to come, openworld takes NOTHING away from the horror IMO when you actually stop to to consider that as I bought up with Anima earlier you still have to deal with tight spots and elements at certain points while exploring that make the game tense and horror driven like when you stuck in a house with her.

So in short I do not agree with a player feeling "relaxed and in control" given that Evil Within 2 has many elements specifically designed such as Anima,Chainsaw lady, and Pyro enemies that makes you stay on your toes and makes you venture into a world you know are filled with these enemies just to get better supplied to deal with them and even then your journeying into that world at your own peril given the smart and dangerous enemies that frequent such a world.

RE3 is a world that could definitely benefit from this type of gameplay since unlike EW2's beacon world it has a actually established city to work with that canon wise is filled with the most dangerous BOWs Umbrella had produced up until that point so imagine doing sidequests as jill but having to go into a Hunter and Licker infested mall or a warehouse with a relentless Tyrant inside to get the items you need or to save a NPC that will help you gain a new weapon, if done correctly that could truly make it work pretty well given Racoon City's big and dynamic established world.

Having said all of this I'm not saying I 100% want this, in fact I would be just fine with a RE3 simply being made in the vein of the RE1 remake with updated graphics and a few new elements added, but I'm pointing out that I would also be ok with a openword version should Capcom decide on this and I would be ok with it if done right for reasons I listed above.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
Please, no. Evil Within 2 sucked donkey balls, and part of that was because of the completely unnecessary open-world that felt unfinished and added nothing to the overall story. Generally, open-world is not a suitable concept for horror games since it takes away a lot of the scare factor if you let people roam freely and do optional side quests and so on... It makes the player feel relaxed and in control, which should be the opposite of what horror game developers want to achieve.
I disagree. The fact that you can please yourself and not know what's going to happen, what you're going to encounter, and what a side mission will entail is exactly why the open-world sections of The Evil Within 2 work.

There's the desire to explore every single building, but you know that it's entirely possible that it's a big risk to do so. You don't know what's going to happen when you go into that seemingly innocuous house. Yes, you have the control and autonomy to go in there, but you don't have control over what happens if you take that risk, and that's where the nerves kick in, especially when something is happening and you don't know what's going on. You can continue on without doing the side sections, but the items you get as a result are a tempting reward in that moment. But you know that you probably have to go through some pretty creepy stuff to attain those rewards.

Also, I don't think the side quests necessarily have to add to the overall story. The point is, they add to the overall experience, and make an overall world seem more enriched than a linear story does.

Whether I want that for RE3... probably not. But I think it's wrong to say that horror doesn't work in an open-world setting, because it certainly does with The Evil Within 2.

All subjective really, just because you think openworld has not place in Horror does not make it so, fact is that many fans such as myself thought Evil Within 2 did a great job blending openworld and horror together, there is something great about having to journey into a horror filled world to scavenge for ammo and weapons that will help you out in the longrun, I loved exploring and dealing with Anima (blackhaired ghost woman) while I was looking for supplies and doing optional quests to get better suited to deal with the horrors to come, openworld takes NOTHING away from the horror IMO when you actually stop to to consider that as I bought up with Anima earlier you still have to deal with tight spots and elements at certain points while exploring that make the game tense and horror driven like when you stuck in a house with her.

So in short I do not agree with a player feeling "relaxed and in control" given that Evil Within 2 has many elements specifically designed such as Anima,Chainsaw lady, and Pyro enemies that makes you stay on your toes and makes you venture into a world you know are filled with these enemies just to get better supplied to deal with them and even then your journeying into that world at your own peril given the smart and dangerous enemies that frequent such a world.

RE3 is a world that could definitely benefit from this type of gameplay since unlike EW2's beacon world it has a actually established city to work with that canon wise is filled with the most dangerous BOWs Umbrella had produced up until that point so imagine doing sidequests as jill but having to go into a Hunter and Licker infested mall or a warehouse with a relentless Tyrant inside to get the items you need or to save a NPC that will help you gain a new weapon, if done correctly that could truly make it work pretty well given Racoon City's big and dynamic established world.

Having said all of this I'm not saying I 100% want this, in fact I would be just fine with a RE3 simply being made in the vein of the RE1 remake with updated graphics and a few new elements added, but I'm pointing out that I would also be ok with a openword version should Capcom decide on this and I would be ok with it if done right for reasons I listed above.
Oh my gosh, Anima. That whole side section was very creepy and cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

ToCool74 you are too cool, awesome post

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
The concept that horror doesn't work in open world is baffling to me, considering we live in an open world in real life, and there's many horrifying things and events lol. So why can't that translate to a virtual world? Everything else can.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I think it's absurd to say horror can't work in an open world considering the basis of Resident Evil is exploration. It's about exploring a large hub area, solving puzzles to open the world up, and backtracking through the environment. Obviously, it's done on a much smaller scale, but the same design philosophy is there whether it's a big open world or a mansion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

I think it's absurd to say horror can't work in an open world considering the basis of Resident Evil is exploration. It's about exploring a large hub area, solving puzzles to open the world up, and backtracking through the environment. Obviously, it's done on a much smaller scale, but the same design philosophy is there whether it's a big open world or a mansion.
You are right, simply take the same concept of resident evil 2 remake and put it on a more opened area... Could fit for an horror

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Wow, I think most of you don't really understand what true open world means and why it absolutely doesn't work for horror games. Before you praise open world in horror games perhaps you should present an example of a horror game providing a true open world where linear gameplay is 100% absent and you're free to approach objectives completely as you wish. I can assure you that it doesn't exist, because every horror game that includes instances of "open world" (like Evil Within 2 and SH: Downpour, for example) are actually not true open world games. The "open world" in those games are just temporary areas that temporarily delay the main linear storyline. They're not the main structure of the game, since both earlier and later parts of the game make those areas inaccessable. In true open world games, the open world IS the main structure of the game and every part will be accessable to you at all times. Even if you unlock new areas, the former areas will still be accessable. Another thing that's common for open world games is that the world will be explorable even after finishing the main storyline.

True open world games are games like Grand Theft Auto, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and The Elder Scrolls where the main quest, although larger in scale, is treated just like the other quests. You can go back and forth, take on another quest, or just chillout.

This is why the "open world" segments of The Evil Within 2, for example, come off as cheap and totally unnecessary. They are temporary fillers that create an illusion of a non-existing open world. And besides, every side quest was exactly the same: Find the source of a radio signal that belongs to some dead soldier, over and over again. Of course, it's totally fine if you like those segments, but you can't call them true open world since they are only temporarily accessable. They are, essentially, part of the linear storyline. Besides, open world is more than just side quests. In true open worlds you're usually allowed to sleep, eat, go training, or just simply chillout and explore the environments without any incoming threats. Try adding that to a horror game. Like I've already stated above, please give me an example of a horror game providing a true open world where linear gameplay is 100% absent and you're free to approach objectives completely as you wish. I can assure you that it doesn't exist.

The only horror game that has actually tried to make a true open world is Deadly Premonition, and that game has LOADS of problems. And if you break it down, it's actually more of a mystery detective game rather than a horror game. All in all, Deadly Premonition is a perfect example of how difficult it is to make a horror game with a true open world.

I'm sure its possible to make a good horror game with true open world, but it would be very, very, very, very difficult.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think that is an apt analysis Jonipoon.

If you look at the Silent Hill series - you have more openness than a traditional Resident Evil and I think that works pretty well. You could encourage exploration of news areas, hidden areas, and find secret items and lore... but keep the player looking for what their next goal is. Since RE3 is set in a city, you can be more open - but not completely open. I'd be fine with the game either way. I'd love to take some time to explore uptown and downtown. But I do need to feel like there is some kind of pressure to get me moving. That tense feeling is part of the experience.

Jonipoon

I think that is an apt analysis Jonipoon.

If you look at the Silent Hill series - you have more openness than a traditional Resident Evil and I think that works pretty well. You could encourage exploration of news areas, hidden areas, and find secret items and lore... but keep the player looking for what their next goal is. Since RE3 is set in a city, you can be more open - but not completely open. I'd be fine with the game either way. I'd love to take some time to explore uptown and downtown. But I do need to feel like there is some kind of pressure to get me moving. That tense feeling is part of the experience.
Yes. SH1 and SH2 had a certain openness to them, but it was implemented to the storyline and that's why it worked. The open, desolated town in those two games were there to serve the main story, not derail from it. Quite the contrary, the games would reward the player if they explored more of the town. For instance in SH1 there is an optional side quest involving Kauffmann that directly ties into the main storyline and affects the ending. It's the only side quest really though, which makes me wonder if its appropriate to even call it a side quest?

SH3 had no open town at all, leaving only a very small linear segment of the town playable. SH4 was 100% linear, and I'd rather not talk about the later games because they're trash.

Anyway, what works for Silent Hill wouldn't necessarily work for Resident Evil. Raccoon City isn't exactly an abandoned, desolated town covered in a thick white fog that makes you feel like you're traversing into some sort of strange lucid dream. Raccoon City is more like a city under attack, virus-infected and crumbling below its own flames, full of zombies, monsters and desperate survivors trying to make their way out. There's surprises around every corner and panic is always nearby.
The openness of Raccoon City should be more like one big puzzle, with multiple areas explorable that you simply HAVE to find even if it means risking your life. And if there are side quests - have them tie directly into the main storyline so that the player can feel like what they're doing makes a difference.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yes - that all make sense. SH2's biggest meme was "There was a HOLE here. It is gone now." And different pieces of lore could be explored as you found little nooks and crannies with hidden areas. That is really missing from todays games... that feeling of finding something completely hidden and effecting your overall experience.

I am not saying Raccoon City should be completely open - but exploration could be encouraged. Different routes through areas could benefit the replayability. Plus, who wouldn't want more Raccoon lore? Step inside Jill's Sandwiches if you find the right hidden key? Find Chris' apartment maybe? Show the corpses of enemies from the Outbreak series? We have a whole world to be able to explore.

Jonipoon

Yeah, that would work. Multiple paths affecting the main storyline. Think of it like RE3's already existing "Event Choices" but taken to the next level. Like what if early on in the game you can encounter another UBCS soldier that you have the option to save? And later on this specific soldier sacrifices himself in a failed attempt to destroy Nemesis instead of Mikhail?

Plus, who wouldn't want more Raccoon lore? Step inside Jill's Sandwiches if you find the right hidden key? Find Chris' apartment maybe? Show the corpses of enemies from the Outbreak series?
Now we're talking...

Ark2000

Both of you came up with some interesting ideas for how Capcom could use the "open world" in R3make, here's hoping we'll get to see something similar to that in the game.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
It hasn't been THAT quiet considering they are offering RE Ambassadors to play something right now. I just got the e-mail last week, but wasn't available to do it.

The only requirement? The person must have played at least one RE game.

Jonipoon

It hasn't been THAT quiet considering they are offering RE Ambassadors to play something right now. I just got the e-mail last week, but wasn't available to do it.

The only requirement? The person must have played at least one RE game.
I didn't know that. Do we have any other members here that can provide us with more details, or is it strictly confidential?

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
No one has any details yet. There is a thread discussing it somewhere. But click the spoiler and it will show you what I was e-mailed. I wish I saw it in time. What a fu**ing ONCE in a lifetime occurance!

Hi Resident Evil Ambassadors,

Thank you as always for your continued support of the Resident Evil franchise!

Today, we’re reaching out to recruit potential testers from our loyal RE Ambassador community to try out a new game in early development.

We’d love to get your feedback, so please take a look at the info below and apply if you’re interested in participating.

[City & Date]
Los Angeles: September 20th or 21st, 2019
New York: September 23rd or 24th, 2019

[Compensation]
Participants will not be compensated for their time.

[Requirements]
1)You must be registered in the Resident Evil Ambassador Program.
2)You must have played a previous Resident Evil title in the past.

* You will be completely responsible for your own transportation arrangements to the research site, including any associated fees.
* Please note that application does not guarantee participation. We will select a few applicants and contact you separately if you are chosen for the testing session.

I live ONE HOUR away from New York City!

Jonipoon

A new game in early development? Well, that surely must rule out RE8 since that's been in some kind of development since 2017. It has to be a remake of RE3! It has to be!

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
According to a credible leak - RE3 REmake is their current priority and will be released during this gen.

The same leak has stated that RE8 will be made for next gen consoles. But anything can change between now and then. And this is assuming this credible leak is actually credible. haha

Turo602

The King of Kings
Wow, I think most of you don't really understand what true open world means and why it absolutely doesn't work for horror games. Before you praise open world in horror games perhaps you should present an example of a horror game providing a true open world where linear gameplay is 100% absent and you're free to approach objectives completely as you wish. I can assure you that it doesn't exist, because every horror game that includes instances of "open world" (like Evil Within 2 and SH: Downpour, for example) are actually not true open world games. The "open world" in those games are just temporary areas that temporarily delay the main linear storyline. They're not the main structure of the game, since both earlier and later parts of the game make those areas inaccessable. In true open world games, the open world IS the main structure of the game and every part will be accessable to you at all times. Even if you unlock new areas, the former areas will still be accessable. Another thing that's common for open world games is that the world will be explorable even after finishing the main storyline.

The Evil Within 2 may not be open-world, but it's still a great example of why an open-world horror game CAN work. Besides, when games like Dead Island, State of Decay, Dying Light, and Dead Rising 3 exist, your entire point pretty much falls apart.

Reactions: Jen

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Look, Open world can work for a horror game. Or it can't. Argue about it. Whatever. But let's all agree, that if they're REMAKING this game, then don't make it open world. It's a damn remake. Stay as true to the source material as possible. Make RE8 open world. But if you're wanting to sell us on nostalgia, then actually give us nostalgia in full force. No pandering in Name Only crap

Top Bottom