• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why did Capcom make such a drastic change to......

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
Well...I really did see enough of her to have an accurate opinion of her in RE1...She turned out to be a much stronger character in her own game...
That makes sense. Its easier to get to know and care for a character the more you see them.

Maybe its just me but I dont think she was all that weak in the Mansion and I try so hard to look for her supposed useless moments most people speak of. I mean outside of two "weak" moments (the hunter and crying in the guest house- which to me emotions=\= weakness), she is actually pretty capable and helpful in the Mansion Incident (helping Chris after he gets poisoned, playing the piano for him, making the V-Jolt for him, healing him in game if he needs it, getting around alone most of the time, and activating the self destruct system so that they could prevent further contamination). I don't mean to sound like a blind fangirl but I honestly don't get why people (not you Kennedy) love to scream out how she is useless and wimpy when the game clearly shows otherwise.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
That makes sense. Its easier to get to know and care for a character the more you see them.

Maybe its just me but I dont think she was all that weak in the Mansion and I try so hard to look for her supposed useless moments most people speak of. I mean outside of two "weak" moments (the hunter and crying in the guest house- which to me emotions=\= weakness), she is actually pretty capable and helpful in the Mansion Incident (helping Chris after he gets poisoned, playing the piano for him, making the V-Jolt for him, healing him in game if he needs it, getting around alone most of the time, and activating the self destruct system so that they could prevent further contamination). I don't mean to sound like a blind fangirl but I honestly don't get why people (not you Kennedy) love to scream out how she is useless and wimpy when the game clearly shows otherwise.
Not weak physically...A weak character is a character that doesn't add much to the game...In this instance, Rebecca is a weak character in RE1, because the game would be a ok without her...

Turo602

The King of Kings
As I said, even with all the changes (as I never said any of them were the perfect update, I would be lying if I did) I feel ReMake Jill is just a better update to classic Jill in comparison to Rebecca.

The fact that they are modelled after celebrities doesn't really matter. I believe they just found people who had some similarities to the old character models. I just don't think Ayumi Hamasaki was a good one to use for a Rebecca update (Don't get me wrong I like Rebecca with her Ayumi inspired face as I have already said but still) bc IMO there was no similarity to the previous model and thus changed her appearance too much. However if you think it was a good choice then hey that's fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion, that's why we are here. I just don't agree.

It does matter though, because Julia Voth has a completely different face compared to the art used to represent her in the original game or even Jill's cutscene model in RE3. I'm not saying that it's bad, just that it's different. Personally, I like Juila Voth as Jill.

Rebecca on the other hand, hasn't really had a good 3D representation, until REmake. Most of the pictures you posted come from a primitive time and one of them isn't even official as it never happened. So really, N64 Rebecca is an early take on Rebecca from REmake, making that sketch concept art and nothing else. Anyway, to answer your question, it's simple, it's a remake. It was their chance at rethinking certain things and reestablishing the characters. Although to call the changes drastic is a bit much, because really, you're on your own here. Anyone can recognize the character as a higher polygon Rebecca Chambers.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
It does matter though, because Julia Voth has a completely different face compared to the art used to represent her in the original game or even Jill's cutscene model in RE3. I'm not saying that it's bad, just that it's different. Personally, I like Juila Voth as Jill.

Rebecca on the other hand, hasn't really had a good 3D representation, until REmake. Most of the pictures you posted come from a primitive time and one of them isn't even official as it never happened. So really, N64 Rebecca is an early take on Rebecca from REmake, making that sketch concept art and nothing else. Anyway, to answer your question, it's simple, it's a remake. It was their chance at rethinking certain things and reestablishing the characters. Although to call the changes drastic is a bit much, because really, you're on your own here. Anyone can recognize the character as a higher polygon Rebecca Chambers.
It's fine bc I dont mind being on my own here. I feel the change was drastic and thats just how I feel about it. I do find it interesting that so far I am the only one that feels that way but hey I am an oddball as I've said before and there's nothing wrong with that.

Not weak physically...A weak character is a character that doesn't add much to the game...In this instance, Rebecca is a weak character in RE1, because the game would be a ok without her...
That may be your reasoning Kennedy (which I respect although I don't agree with it), but when most people say she's a weak character, they do mean physically (I see so many ppl saying she's wimpy and useless in the mansion). I thought you meant that too, that's why I gave that explanation.

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
That may be your reasoning Kennedy (which I respect although I don't agree with it), but when most people say she's a weak character, they do mean physically (I see so many ppl saying she's wimpy and useless in the mansion). I thought you meant that too, that's why I gave that explanation.
It's very common when talking about carrying a role in a movie, game, book, ect. to use the term weak.

SkinniMini

The Gaming Princess
It's very common when talking about carrying a role in a movie, game, book, ect. to use the term weak.
Well you didn't exactly make it clear that that's what you meant at first so you can't blame me for the misunderstanding. I can't read minds you know.

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
They've changed Ada's face so many times... Just look at Ada's face in Re 1, Re 4 then in Re Damnation and now in Re 6

Preeve

Oh. I'm still fairly new to the site. I didn't (and I still sorta don't) understand how attachments work.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Jill did have earrings for a bit, but that's not really important xD
They changed Jill's look as well, they probably just wanted more iconic faces.
I love Ayumi Hamasaki, so I love the face change xD

Top Bottom