• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's your favourite Scary Games?

potato

Other than RE1 & Remake, what other non RE games gave you good scares. I mean the creepy ones not cheap jump scare like Doom 3, FEAR & Dead Space.

For me, RE1 on PC was the 1st scare game i've ever encountered. It's pretty scary as it was something new back then and the classic horror mansion storyline, getting lost & lack of ammo really makes the game creepy. Had problems playing it alone and at night.

After that was D, played on 3DO system, it was roughly the same age as RE1, but the experience was different. It was scary but short. No guns & health packs.

Then came a time where i tried playing old games on emulators, and

Snatcher CD was the 1st that gives me the creeps. It's not a scary game but very creepy even though it came in bits & bytes. The plot, the music, the voice acting.

After Snatcher was Clock Tower, translated to english. It's simple side scrolling point & click game, came in 2D pixels. Yet the scare factor far exceeded what RE1 game me. The music & sudden pop up of scissor boy, typical orphan adopted story, deaths after deaths. The Mannequin room was unforgettably scary to a point i actually shivered (And most of the time nothing happened). Could sleep. Kept thinking about Scissor boy... Up til now it's still top scary games i've played. Only after finishing the game i realized you can fight scissor boy...

Then came Haunting Grounds. Another helpless girl spending most of the time running away from crazy people. Big mansion. No weapons. Panic mode, tripping down, dying of all causes, crazy people want to tear her apart.

After that, back to PC, this time it's Condemned: Criminal Origins. Saw it on the shelves of a book store for 3 bucks. I heard about it, it's one of Sega's rare horror game. And yes it's scary. Took me good 2 years to complete it. Just couldn't pull myself together and play it.

The latest scary game i felt real scared is Siren: New Translation on PS3. It's the most realistic game i've ever played in terms of how realistic the person ingame looked. They use photographics on them, the whole environment was one of the spookiest, even more than any silent hill games. Lack of weapons & low health means how easy it is to die. The game was pretty short, if you know what to do, each scenario can be finished under 5 minutes. But for 1st timer, dang it scared the **** out of me. Took me 1 year to complete such a short game coz i couldn't take it.

There are other notable horror games i've played, but the impact was not as big as the above mentioned, maybe it's because the environment i was playing under.

I've played Silent Hill 2,3,4, I have to say 4 is the scariest out of them. Especially in the Room. I so hate that room, just hate it!!! You can look outside the room but can't get out and you need to exorcist the room full of ghosts. And the unbeatable ghost (even with silver bullet) is so scary because they are fast, spooky, unkillable & kills you in few seconds.

Other notables are Amnesia: The Dark Decent, Call of Cthullu, Fatal Frame series (heard about it but not played yet), Tomb Raider at one point was spooky... Bioshock 1 was a bit creepy. Alan Wake's environment is pretty much up to Silent Hill standards. Killing Time for 3DO was pretty creepy with the low res video they use. Have yet played Eternal Darkness for Gamecube.

Forgot to mention one of the earlier games i got scared of, Altered Beast, and yes you start out in a cemetery & the wild animals you tun into & the pigs that jumps at you are pretty spooky for 2D pixels.

So that's about it for the games i've come across.

One thing i wished was I get to play them on a Silent Night, you know with Big TV, surround sound headphones, windows opened with wind blowing in & lights total out. Man that would have been an experience! At the cost of sleepless nights perhaps...

Well games aside, i find the movie Scream amusing. And lastly i recommend Salem's Lot. My friend said he has problem with open windows after watching it, i have yet got myself to take up the challenge this movie poses... so yea that's about it.

Popo

I saw some gameplay of the Condemned, I liked it, I'm going to get it now xD

MissDomino

Premium
Absolutely loved Fatal Frame/Project Zero 2 on the ps2. Tried it on the wii but the dub made me laugh at a few points in the game and it kills the scares. Kinda like RE1 :)
Clock Tower for the SNES is such an amazing experience. I just wish it got an English release. At least on virtual console or something.
I still can't figure out if Deadly Premonition was supposed to be scary or not. One minute I was in stitches then the next had me feeling uneasy.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Does Slender count as a jump scare game? If so then i'd have to say I was pretty scared from playing Silent Hill 3 and 4 for the first time. I never really found the RE games scary. And while it's not a horror game, I found the game I am Alive to be scary.

AgentZero

Through that door, is a seperate reality.
Does Slender count as a jump scare game? If so then i'd have to say I was pretty scared from playing Silent Hill 3 and 4 for the first time. I never really found the RE games scary. And while it's not a horror game, I found the game I am Alive to be scary.
Silent hill 4 and origins man....

Hoady

Resident Evil 0, for pants wreckage. Seriously its been about 7 years or so, would love to play it again.
Silent Hill 2,for best atmosphere. I got onto the game only about 2 years ago and it definitely stands the test of time.
A few odd games from waay back like The Suffering, i admit scared me. I can't remember much about it though.

Resi 4 gets an honourable mention. Ridiculous crazy fun but it had its scare moments too.
Ravenholm in Half Life 2 was sick as. Was really totally unexpected, it went from open adventure to as if you were isolated half life 1 style..but with zombies and gravity guns!

L

Lurker
In all honesty, and trust me when I say that, the only game that has ever scared me was Penumbra.

rogercalvin

Apart from Resident Evil, The long Dark is one of the best survival horror game I have played. I like survival horror games because they are realistic and you can only run and hide in order to survive or remain alive. Similarly, Outlast Series is also very good.

Link removed. -Romero

Last edited by a moderator:

Awebb

I am completely unable to be scared in the dark, but as soon as bright fog or shiny blue underwater is a thing, my pants are on extra alert.

Honorary mention: Outer Wilds.

1995umk3

This is the biggest thread resurrection I have ever seen. And most of the time it's with a member who just joined this site.

Anyway... FATAL FRAME is a good one, I didn't know about it when it came out in 2003 as I was playing starcraft and other games. I played the series really late like in 2010 or something. Or little earlier.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I know right? 8 years is a long time lol.

Other games that scare me are the Outlast games (I don't know what it is about these but they scare the crap out of me even though I've seen all the people beat the game on YouTube so I literally know everything that happens but still.)

Actually now that I think about it, Outlast was the one series where I was too scared to finish the game. I honestly can't think of another one that comes even close.

That being said I wouldn't consider Resident Evil games scary. Silent Hill is pretty disturbing but again, wasn't so scary that I couldn't finish the game. PT was really creepy but it wasn't a complete game. If the rumors are true and they do resume work on it, that's probably got good chances of being legitimately scary. Forbidden Siren was creepy I guess but I didn't finish that one because the mechanics frustrated me and I lost interest.

So yea... TL;DR - the Outlast series is probably the most legitimately scary game series I've ever played and the only games I can't finish because of that.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
Bumping of ancient threads are not allowed but I didn't see before now how old this is. But if it continues in a positive way and something nice comes out of it, I let this one pass.

My favorite "scary" games are RE4 and Half-Life 2. They are by the way the two games that "scared" me the most too.

For reference, another thread about the most scary game (not necessarily the best):
What's the scariest video game EVER? Note: That is an ancient thread from 2009 so don't bump it.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Forbidden Siren was creepy I guess but I didn't finish that one because the mechanics frustrated me and I lost interest.
Yeah Forbidden Siren’s mechanics frustrated me as well despite having an interesting story and great atmosphere. It’s been so long since I played it but I know I was a bit lost in the game’s timeline and how you’d return to the exact same location with the same character but a slightly different task to complete with seemingly little story progression.

I also agree about Outlast being a terrifying game to play through- or not play through in my case. Maybe one day I’ll conquer it though. :lol:

I gotta say Dead Space is one of the scariest games I’ve played. Even though there’s a lot of firepower within the game, they still managed to make it absolutely terrifying. I can’t remember why I stopped playing through it but I really want to beat the first game so I can finally move onto Dead Space 2 and 3. I bought both sequels in the midst of playing the first game and had every intention of playing through the series. But they’re still sealed like new. Gonna have to change that soon.

Alien Isolation. Terrified to play through this game so it’s another one that I need to revisit and work on completing.

Silent Hill is an honorable horror series, though I agree that the games weren’t so terrifying that I was too afraid to play through them. But there were moments in the first 4 games where I did need to step away and collect my nerves. They’ve surely gotten some good screams out of me while playing. And despite P.T. only being a playable demo of a wouldbe sequel title, I found it to be completely unsettling just watching play throughs on YouTube.

As far as Resident Evil is concerned, when looking back on the original PS games, it’s sometimes hard to remember what made them scary back in the day. But the remakes, and some of the more recent titles, are some of the best representations of why this series is the OG of the survival horror genre. REmake, Revelations 2 and RE7 deserve praise for recreating feelings of tension and horror in the gameplay and atmosphere, but REmake 2 is everything the series should build on. It took me completely by surprise with how they modernized the horror while still staying faithful to the original game. Mr. X stalking you throughout the police station was brilliant thinking on Capcom’s part and makes for some of the scariest gameplay experience within the series.

Last edited:

Mr.R

Honestly, games normally don't scare me (even less Resident Evil, which always looked too much like a B movie to be scary), although a jump scare might be normal though. Horror is one of my favorite themes for games, so I think we end up being used to jump scare tactics on games and things like that.

To me, since being scared is not exactly the emotion, I think a good horror game makes you tense. Makes you fear for the life of your character, or fear the (sometimes even unstoppable power) of the monsters and creatures...

Dead Space did that a lot to me. Like @bSTAR_182 said, even though you have a lot of weapons, things are always tense in that game. You can hear the monsters crawling on the air vents and they can pretty much come from anywhere, so there's the feeling that you're not safe in any place. I do prefer the cramped spaces of the first game and some parts of the second, but even the third, with the focus on action still got me that "they can be anywhere" kind of feeling.

Alien Isolation is a game that every horror fan should play. Just like Dead Space, the Alien can be anywhere and you can only have a vague direction where he can be from the motion tracker. Also, the thing is almost unstoppable, and the moment it sees you, you're pretty much dead...so you're always tense, trying to move slowly, avoiding the robots, the humans or...if you really have to fight, you need to be pretty smart about it. It's amazing.

Those two are the one that marked me the most in the "tension" department.

Silent Hill is a pretty...disturbing game, putting like that. The imagery, the way it uses sound and symbolism...it's all pretty disturbing, but I don't find Silent Hill tense because the games, the actual combat and fighting in Silent Hill is (in most cases) pretty easy and pretty basic. So...you might get unsettling feelings from the game, but you don't actually feel afraid of your character's health.

As for Resident Evil, I do think the series has tense moments, but it's not all the time, at least after you played the game once. I remember the first time I got in the village siege in RE4 to be pretty tense. Running from Nemesis is also tense, always (more in the 3Remake because I feel Nemesis is more of a threat there with his stun-lock killing mechanic) or the fight against the Tyrant in the plane in CVX. Even RE7 got some of it. I remember the first time I got into the basement, it was pretty tense for sure. But in the case of RE, once you played the game multiple times, it feels easier to manage all those situations, which is different in Alien Isolation, for example, where preparation can only goes so far and the Alien can screw you anyway.

Romero

Her royal court joker
Premium
So yea... TL;DR - the Outlast series is probably the most legitimately scary game series I've ever played and the only games I can't finish because of that.
Thank you for the tip! I bought it on Steam now, it's on sale 75% off. We'll see if I ever get time to play it lol.

Alien Isolation is a game that every horror fan should play. Just like Dead Space, the Alien can be anywhere and you can only have a vague direction where he can be from the motion tracker. Also, the thing is almost unstoppable, and the moment it sees you, you're pretty much dead...so you're always tense, trying to move slowly, avoiding the robots, the humans or...if you really have to fight, you need to be pretty smart about it. It's amazing.

As for Resident Evil, I do think the series has tense moments, but it's not all the time, at least after you played the game once. I remember the first time I got in the village siege in RE4 to be pretty tense. Running from Nemesis is also tense, always (more in the 3Remake because I feel Nemesis is more of a threat there with his stun-lock killing mechanic) or the fight against the Tyrant in the plane in CVX. Even RE7 got some of it. I remember the first time I got into the basement, it was pretty tense for sure. But in the case of RE, once you played the game multiple times, it feels easier to manage all those situations, which is different in Alien Isolation, for example, where preparation can only goes so far and the Alien can screw you anyway.
I almost bought Alien Isolation today but first I watched some gameplay on Youtube. It didn't click with me so I passed. Nothing negative but I didn't feel drawn into it.

About RE4, I'm not going to admit that I was actually kinda scared right after the cut scene that starts the game. :lol:

Top Bottom