• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 What the evolution of Resident Evil "REALLY" means.

Do you agree???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AtilaLopez

Nut3lla ^0^
So people, let me tell you where this new direction for Resident Evil is really taking the franchise and what it really means... IMHO.

I myself a very dedicated, hardcore, diehard Resident Evil fan love Resident Evil with all my heart. But i myself wasn't a fan from the beginning, one because i wasn't born at that time the first Resident Evil came to be which is unfortunate i guess... but i wouldn't wish i was. You see my first Resident Evil game was Resident Evil Code Veronica for dreamcast you must think that's the game that got me into Resident Evil but it wasn't and at the time I didn't even know it was a Resident Evil game and you'll see where I'm trying to get with this...

So yea i find it interesting that i didn't fall in love with the old school Resident Evil game like YOU GUYS did and that says a lot. It was scary, frightening and all of that we know about it that makes it what it is what makes it so loveable for you guys, but not me, it NEVER caught my attention.

So then my next Resident Evil game i encountered myself with was the first original Resident Evil game, the one that started it all. So let me start by saying that game was the SCARIEST game i had ever played in my entire life, i mean it.The only time i would find myself playing it would be when there was 3 or more people playing it with me but it was still too much to handle, like i literally didn't make any progress all i did was walk into rooms die, or run away ALL THE TIME. Everything that made this Resident Evil game what it was ( You People Know What I'm Talking About ), EVERYTHING that made you people LOVE IT when you first played that made Resident Evil... well "Resident Evil" didn't get ME into the franchise. Can you believe that ALL OF THAT didn't get me into Resident Evil, everything that made it so special just didn't manage to catch my interests, but for you guys it was a MASTERPIECE. To this day i still don't understand what "REALLY" made this game so special to guys that it didn't to me.

Now onto the game that made it all happened... RESIDENT EVIL..... 4!!!!

I remember i was at my cousins house and I saw him playing a game, that game was Resident Evil 4 and let me tell you i had no idea I had played a Resident Evil game before even though I had. AND boy... I was just fascinated with that game... I had no clue what it was about or what the game was called BUT is was just so ******* amazing :,)

And then when i got my hands on it OMG, THAT WAS WHEN IT HAPPENED... that's when i fell in love with Resident Evil that's when i got in the series. I would wake up so ******* early to play it every single day. It was just so incredible, i had never loved a game so much BUT I did and I beat that game so many times ( MEMORIES...) :,(

So tell me what made Resident Evil 4 so ******* amazing that got me into the franchise that the FIRST Resident Evil and Code-Veronica didn't?

And i'm going to be honest with you guys and say it was the "GAMEPLAY" the gameplay was what defined the game into what it was and what made it so special to me, TOO ME that is, I mean I didn't give a **** about the story (because i didn't know a lot about it though ^-^) or anything else besides the "GAMEPLAY" you see that is what i believe made Resident Evil 4 so special to NEWCOMERS like myself and for older fans i have no clue but i'm guessing it was the gameplay and "story" ( and...I'll Get Into That In A Bit) or maybe something else.

You see the evolution of Resident Evil, the evolution that came to be as Resident Evil 4 was what got A LOT of people into Resident Evil what marked Resident Evil's LEGACY for US NEWCOMERS and "OTHER" fans who loved the change. Without this beautiful change I don't believe i would find myself or others so in love with Resident Evil. What I'm trying to say is that is that CHANGE is good for Resident Evil, EVOLUTION is good. This "Change" got us into Resident Evil and i believe that there's nothing wrong with change because it's a good thing for Resident Evil, it got a new generation of fans because of Resident Evil 4. If Resident Evil continues to EVOLVE more and more newer audiences might get into Resident Evil just like it has happened before.

BUT you see there's a problem i'm noticing Capcom is doing.

That problem has to do with the STORY of Resident Evil I myself believe Capcom is worrying too much about change, "GAMEPLAY" change you see to me it seems that there top priority and what they care about is the "Gameplay" because that's what they feel matters the most to US or SOME of us, but to be honest although that's what got me into Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil in general i've noticed that it's not about Gameplay to me anymore, although it used to and that's what led me to buying and loving RE5. After beating RE6 it just didn't feel right but it wasn't about the gameplay, ( Well some of it WAS) but it was all due too the STORY.

I believe Capcom is worrying too much about gameplay that they're not paying enough attention to the story which IMHO is what Resident Evil is all about but a lot of you don't really seem to care. WHY?

Because ever since Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5 came out all you old school fans ever wanted was for Capcom to return to their ROOTS, their old survival horror roots and what you guys basically mean is too bring back the old survival horror "GAMEPLAY" correct me if i'm wrong but that's the deal right? YOU GUYS WANT EVERYTHING THAT MADE YOU GUYS' RESIDENT EVIL so special to you guys, all it's survival horror elements, but you guys have to understand that it needs to happen, just like you change, Resident Evil has to change. Although you might not accept it or not want it to happen it's going to change and you guys have to deal with it just like I have.

And while SOME of you are only focusing on them bringing back that "GAMEPLAY" you guys forget about the most important THING, the GOD DAM story!

I've looked back into what "really" made Resident Evil so awesome and one day I figured out it was the "story" and was probably the only reason I even went back to play some of the old games to catch up and know everything there is about the great story the Resident Evil universe has to offer and also enjoy them as a game itself :D. I also now appreciate older Resident Evil games for what they really are for, their STORY and not for their gameplay because once you think about it what would Resident Evil be without their story? You could say the same thing about the gameplay BUT seriously Resident Evil wouldn't be Resident Evil without it's great story and characters. To be honest I rather have a game with an intriguing story and mediocre gameplay then a game with absolutely great gameplay but with story that is just ****.

Some may agree, some may disagree but I truly believe that's the case.

Resident Evil 6's story was absolute garbage compared to other Resident Evil titles and i personally LOVE RE5 more than RE6, although RE6 was a great game it could not top RE5 and other RE games for their "STORY". Even though RE4 topped all Resident Evil games for EVERYTHING :D

Anyways just letting that out there that us fans should be less worried about "Gameplay", especially the old school fans because change or should i say EVOLUTION is a good thing and look where Resident Evil has come to be with CHANGE if you don't like change then deal with it period.

OH and you TOO Capcom! The story is the most important aspect of Resident Evil and i feel you guys are screwing that up a bit because you're too busy trying to please us with a the gameplay so don't screw it up. Other than that do what you gotta do, we don't mind change, or should I say "I" don't mind change. But just don't **** up the story ok?.

So that's basically it, the new direction Resident Evil is heading too is no problem to me :D ...who knows it could become something more?
NOTE: This is my most honest opinion.
No hate please.

Flipqy42

Nevermore
I definitely agree. The gameplay for RE4, RE5, and RE6 are much more better and more entertaining than the gameplay for RE1, RE2, and RE3. I'm kind of on the fence about the story though. I think Capcom intentionally left the RE6 story the way it is to leave room for more sequels.

Jay

K.I.N.G.
Story wise I give a slight edge to the earlier series, but gameplay wise RE4-6 are easily better, up to date, and more enjoyable. Each game has a reason to love them. To say the earlier series or current is better than the other is meaningless. Take it for what it was and has come to be if you're a real fan.

AtilaLopez

Nut3lla ^0^
I definitely agree. The gameplay for RE4, RE5, and RE6 are much more better and more entertaining than the gameplay for RE1, RE2, and RE3. I'm kind of on the fence about the story though. I think Capcom intentionally left the RE6 story the way it is to leave room for more sequels.
Do we really want more sequals??????
Of course we do... We all love Resident Evil ^0^

TheVacantThrone

He's a mental giant, TECH N9NE!
Old school RE fan, first game I ever completed (RE1) and had every game since on release date. Also got the umbrella logo tattooed around my elbow, so it's a diehard thing.

And I completely agree, the new gameplay of the games has been amazing, and while I LOVE the story to six, 4 and 5 were lacking story wise for me. Same as everyone else I guess, story = RE 1, 2 and 3, gameplay = 4, 5 and 6. And I love the old tank controls, never had an issue with them.

AtilaLopez

Nut3lla ^0^
Story wise I give a slight edge to the earlier series, but gameplay wise RE4-6 are easily better, up to date, and more enjoyable. Each game has a reason to love them. To say the earlier series or current is better than the other is meaningless. Take it for what it was and has come to be if you're a real fan.
Now let's mix them both up and get a RE4 early beta feel to it?

MetalGamer2

Survivor
In all seriousness, I like both the old and new games equally, but for entirely different reasons. The old ones had better story/atmosphere, while the new games have much better gameplay (and phenomenal voice acting IMO). With all these in mind, both styles level out to be equally enjoyable games.

I believe the ideal RE game is one that has the best of both worlds: great story, great atmosphere, and fun/functional gameplay. There are very few RE games that I feel fit this criteria, namely: RE4 and RER. I think both of those had the best blend of the new and the old. And not to mention that RER arguably had one of the best stories of all the RE games.

AtilaLopez

Nut3lla ^0^
In all seriousness, I like both the old and new games equally, but for entirely different reasons. The old ones had better story/atmosphere, while the new games have much better gameplay (and phenomenal voice acting IMO). With all these in mind, both styles level out to be equally enjoyable games.

I believe the ideal RE game is one that has the best of both worlds: great story, great atmosphere, and fun/functional gameplay. There are very few RE games that I feel fit this criteria, namely: RE4 and RER. I think both of those had the best blend of the new and the old. And not to mention that RER arguably had one of the best stories of all the RE games.
Must I say something like this?

MetalGamer2

Survivor
Must I say something like this?

Oh man, it's been a long time since I've seen that XD
But yeah, that's basically pretty close to what I meant, as long as it would've had a good story behind it, that would've been pretty cool. As of now though, my favorite Resident Evil game is RE4, because like I said, it perfectly blends the new and the old... I miss Shinji Mikami. He had a good sense of direction for the series :(

AtilaLopez

Nut3lla ^0^
RE4 eventually turned out good in the end by all means, but if we look at RE5 now and before...
I literally wanted to shoot Capcom :mad:

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
Yeah, totally agree. That version sounded more like the old Chris, but Roger Craig Smith fits way better with Chris' newer look.
Definitely. Speaking of newer Chris, I didn't like him too much in 5 but I loved how jaded he had become in 6. That and the drinking I feel were portrayed realistically. I feel like most of the cast would have SOME type of problem at this point lolz.

AtilaLopez

Nut3lla ^0^
Definitely. Speaking of newer Chris, I didn't like him too much in 5 but I loved how jaded he had become in 6. That and the drinking I feel were portrayed realistically. I feel like most of the cast would have SOME type of problem at this point lolz.
But I don't like the idea that all of this revolves around loosing his men and getting hit in the head... I would've liked it more if it revolved more around Claire, she could of went missing and or something might of happened to her. Then I would give Chris a reason to get like he did... THEN we could have Claire star in a RE game :D

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
But I don't like the idea that all of this revolves around loosing his men and getting hit in the head... I would've liked it more if it revolved more around Claire, she could of went missing and or something might of happened to her. Then I would give Chris a reason to get like he did... THEN we could have Claire star in a RE game :D
This is also true, it wasn't anything emotional just a case of amnesia lolz. But regardless, I'm glad they finally decided to depict something like that. Now RE7 definitely needs some Claire love!

Top Bottom