• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What makes it scary ?

v iBaxter

I would like to know what every one actually thinks what would put Fear into the game and player, personally i think it is the camera angle in the originals when u cant see the enemy running towards u yet hearing it getting closer really puts me on edge i dont know, or perhaps it doesnt matter about the camera angle and its all about the location, atmosphere, music, enemies and if not the camera angle then what was Resident Evil 5 missing that should have made it scary ?
this piece of Music Below was from the remake and it makes it scarier i think it does any way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFn4m8gBfk8&feature=related

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
For me, what made the first few games scary is the sense of isolation. For the most part you're all alone - whereas in RE 5 hearing Chris and Sheva talk to eachother all the time takes away some of the fear in that sense. The sound effects are crucial as well, it used to always be quiet or they'd have this eerie creepy music and then when something came out at you it'd get loud and quiet again when you killed it. With RE 5, there are enemies coming at you almost all the time, so it was never quiet or suspenseful in that matter. And lastly, as you said - the camera angle and not being able to necessarily see your enemy or work around him has quite an effect as well.

Oh and the lighting. Most if not all REs happen during the night or in places where it's dark. Broad sunlight doesn't really help make anything scary.

v iBaxter

i totally agree, having a partner with you does take away the effect of isolation its like if you are about to die you will just be rescued in 2 seconds by sheva or chris.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
To be honest the first games didn't creep me out (RE1-3).

The remake was kinda of scary because the Zombies keep moaning and groaning plus the music.

Code Veronica only had music that was creep to me.

4 had the regenarators and the music that plays when you meet the regenerators, plus the Iron Maidens (There is a difference between Regenartors and Iron Maidens).

5 had nothing that was completey scary. If I can remeber correctly, on the first time I played it I think I was kinda of Creeped out with the screams from the beginning and inside the ware house in the end of 1-2.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
Weskers Shades;62085 said:
how was resi 3 not scary it was the second scariest in the series so far (imo)

To be honest, it just wasen't that scary to me. Maybe it is jsut that it is an old game or it could be that I don't have it.

Later in my life I may buy it and try it out and I may be scared.

Awaii-Lynne

momma cosplayer
I think the main part of what made it scary for me was the angles. How you couldnt move them the way you wanted. That and when something was coming, the music would get louder (like others have pointed out).

Awaii-Lynne

momma cosplayer
how could that not freak you out? I mean, you'd hear the moans of the zombies, but you couldnt SEE them because of the angles of the camera.

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
Weskers Shades;62070 said:
I would like to know what every one actually thinks what would put Fear into the game and player, personally i think it is the camera angle in the originals when u cant see the enemy running towards u yet hearing it getting closer really puts me on edge i dont know, or perhaps it doesnt matter about the camera angle and its all about the location, atmosphere, music, enemies and if not the camera angle then what was Resident Evil 5 missing that should have made it scary ?
this piece of Music Below was from the remake and it makes it scarier i think it does any way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFn4m8gBfk8&feature=related

You like not being able to see them and to hear them getting closer?

Well I remember in RE4, down in the sewers, with those Novistadors(those annoying bug things), where it was invisible and you could hear it running along the wet floor down the hall.:)

With RE5, the atmosphere was there, I personally thought it looked scarier in the earlier trailers, and it has been cheapened for obvious reasons(racism claims). The music in RE5 is terrific, and one of the best in the series.

Like any RE game it has enemies, some are more or less scary.

I liked the camera angles, and I also like being able to aim. It would be cool if they mixed it so that it has the camera angles, and when you hold R to aim it goes over the shoulder like RE5.

The one thing about the angles that annoyed me is when I would get attacked by an enemy that I couldn't see, although it was 2 feet in front of me...

weskersbarber

in the earlier games it was the music that played a big part in making them scary.not to mention the camera angles.the music in the mansion is great and the music when you find wesker is the traitor outside the elevator beside the lab in the original is absolute quality.it was just awesome

Spike991

The Master Of Unlocking
weskersbarber;63992 said:
in the earlier games it was the music that played a big part in making them scary.not to mention the camera angles.the music in the mansion is great and the music when you find wesker is the traitor outside the elevator beside the lab in the original is absolute quality.it was just awesome

I don't think the angles made it any more or less scary, they were just there. It made it feel really wierd to control at first, until you get used to it, then it is just there.

The thing about the first game is it is a mansion, nuff said.:)

The mansion is just such a cool location, it has booby traps, a big victorian look to it, in the middle of the forest, just a classic location. Plus hearing the thunder and seeing lightning in the REmake made it so much better.

Top Bottom