• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you Thinking? Resident Evil Edition!

KevinStriker

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?"
Maybe part of the reason I didn't think Resident Evil VII was this big departure from the rest of the series was because we already had a slower paced, strictly first person view Resident Evil game with a gimmicky peripheral and an odd sort of disconnect from the rest of the series in Resident Evil: Survivor.

Shower thoughts.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
CT: Unpopular opinion here, but I don't care... REmake 2 would be a great opportunity to make ORC at least somewhat canon by tying the Wolfpack and Echo Six into the story somehow, and I hope it will happen, even though it's very unlikely.

KevinStriker

Okay, so when did this manga happen and how did I completely miss it?
It passed me by, and this is the guy with all the novels.

81yVPJPbY-L.jpg

Mr.R

I like the new version of Ada's dress and her looks overall. The only thing is...she looks so young! She is supposed to be 3 years older than Leon, which would made her 24 (Still kinda young for a spy, but RE is a japanese game, we should be thankful she isn't 15), but she looks like Claire's age or so. I'll get used to it, of course and it doesn't bother me but...she looks young.

Also, with Leon, Ada and (on a less extent to some people) Claire's new models, we can conclude that the excuse from Capcom on the "Redfield" looks on 7 was bull****, right? I mean, the RE2 characters looks like themselves with the new engine. Why the hell Chris just looks like somebody else? Kinda lazy. Or that wasn't supposed to be Chris in the end and he was shoehorned there. Who knows.

Ark2000

Looks pretty damn good, despite it still not being the type of clothes you should wear during zombie outbreak :biggrin:

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Looks pretty damn good, despite it still not being the type of clothes you should wear during zombie outbreak :biggrin:

She's a spy, that's exactly what she should be wearing. A long trench coat is the last thing any spy should be wearing in any event, talk about a dead giveaway.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I like the new version of Ada's dress and her looks overall. The only thing is...she looks so young! She is supposed to be 3 years older than Leon, which would made her 24 (Still kinda young for a spy, but RE is a japanese game, we should be thankful she isn't 15), but she looks like Claire's age or so. I'll get used to it, of course and it doesn't bother me but...she looks young.

24 isn't necessarily young for a spy. I mean... young, yes, but not too young. You can apply to become a CIA agent as early as 18, provided you have the necessary qualifications, and the training is only roughly two years, so you can technically be a full-fledged operative at the age of 20. Then again, Ada most certainly isn't working for any real intelligence agency, so the rules are different anyway, and for all we (don't) know about her past, she might as well have been trained for this kind of work since she was a child. As for looking younger, well... Don't forget she's half-Chinese after all. Most Asians have the natural blessing of always looking younger than they really are.

KevinStriker

As much as I like the game as is, I still really want to play the Resident Evil 5 teased in this trailer. Not-so-roided-up Chris on a solo adventure in Leon's shirt using Leon's gun with the focus on adjusting your vision to sunlight and heat stroke side effects.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I really do love RE5 for its gameplay but I too would have liked to have seen what the original game would have been. Still waiting for that Chris and Barry teamup.

New Ada Wong screenshots:

resident-evil-2-gets-aka-and-tyrant-screenshots-8.jpg

resident-evil-2-gets-aka-and-tyrant-screenshots-7.jpg

resident-evil-2-gets-aka-and-tyrant-screenshots-1.jpg

We can finally see her (reimagined) face! And the classic skirt is back, yay!

I’m really not a fan of her dress... I actually hate it. Keep the trench on.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
We want to see Chris and Barry teamup, and Jill and Claire teamup. Also we need more sandwich jokes.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
CT: So Dee-Ay from ORC is gay according to the developers, which is even reflected in his callsign: D. A. is short for "Don't Ask", which in turn is short for "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", an outdated policy to avoid discrimination of LGBT soldiers in the military. But that begs the question, if nobody was allowed to ask, and he wasn't supposed to tell, how did anyone find out to give him that callsign in the first place? Or did he choose it himself, thinking it was funny? :confused:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I don't recall hearing anything specific about how sunlight was originally going to affect RE5. I remember hearing it was gonna be important and then nothing ever came of it, until I saw the behind the scenes video in Degeneration that basically made it seem like they were just really proud of their sunlight effects and not that it had any real story or gameplay element. Just curious if its original purpose was ever revealed and where, because that's always alluded me and I've always remembered thinking that the sun had some role or affect on the Majini.

But yeah, as much as I think Resident Evil 5 is a highly underrated game, considering how popular RE4 was, I still would have loved to see the original single player version. This trailer is just absolutely insane and really makes the final game look so tame and watered down.

This actually looks like a massive improvement on Resident Evil 4's horror by swarm approach. It really got across how much more they were able to achieve with the new hardware compared to Resident Evil 4, which is why it's so disappointing that Resident Evil 5 just ended up being more of the same.

The larger swarms, the aggressive attacks and tackles, Majini being able to restrain you down to the floor and even interact with the environment by destroying pillars and tipping over trailers, Chris dodging attacks and kicking enemies back into the swarm. What the hell happened to that? Co-op or not, those were some really good ideas and could have made the entire game way more tense.

But the fact that game used to be single player just fascinates me because it would have been a more seamless adventure like RE4, but so much bigger. And it's crazy to think, but Resident Evil 4 really is one of a kind despite kicking off the direction 5 and 6 would go in, but of those 3 games, it's the only one that was designed as a single player game, and wasn't divided into levels you could replay at will. It was an adventure, and Resident Evil 5 just streamlined that adventure so that it works in co-op, which ended up dumbing down memorable encounters from 4 like El Gigante, Verdugo, and the U-3.

Instead of maneuvering around El Gigante and wasting your own resources on him while also feeling the intimidation of the size difference, in 5, because it's co-op, you're now mounted onto turrets and remain stationary throughout the entire fight with the Ndesu, while being able to unload countless shots into him because ammo is infinite. What a drastic downgrade from what 4 offered.

RE4's single player nature allowed for more freedom in the encounters you come across and in the way you progress the game because it didn't have to account for another player. And to think, RE5 could have been a very similar experience to RE4's, but on brand new hardware, in a new setting, with bigger ideas. Unfortunately, those ideas got stifled by Capcom's greed to capitalize on online gaming. It's such a shame to think of what could have been.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I don't recall hearing anything specific about how sunlight was originally going to affect RE5. I remember hearing it was gonna be important and then nothing ever came of it, until I saw the behind the scenes video in Degeneration that basically made it seem like they were just really proud of their sunlight effects and not that it had any real story or gameplay element. Just curious if its original purpose was ever revealed and where, because that's always alluded me and I've always remembered thinking that the sun had some role or affect on the Majini.
I remember either reading or watching an interview from Capcom where they said sunlight was to enhance the horror. I think they perhaps thought that they had a genius idea that came from thinking outside the box. They said that the sunlight in your eyes could be just as horrifying as being in a darkened room, because you were blind in both conditions, and that the sunlight therefore could hide something coming right at you. I know what they mean by that, but I still don't know how on earth they thought that would be a good idea.

As far as I'm aware, that's the only function that the sunlight had.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I remember either reading or watching an interview from Capcom where they said sunlight was to enhance the horror. I think they perhaps thought that they had a genius idea that came from thinking outside the box. They said that the sunlight in your eyes could be just as horrifying as being in a darkened room, because you were blind in both conditions, and that the sunlight therefore could hide something coming right at you. I know what they mean by that, but I still don't know how on earth they thought that would be a good idea.

As far as I'm aware, that's the only function that the sunlight had.
So in the final game the sunlight wasn't even a thing?

Nevertheless, I don't think their vision was possible with 2009's graphics and engines. This day on the other hand, I'm pretty sure sunlight could be utilized in order to conceal enemies in front of you. There's just one problem with sunlight - it's coming from one and the same direction, so in order to keep the player blinded to enemies, all the enemies would have to come from the same direction as well. So the levels would have to be constructed in a special way.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
So in the final game the sunlight wasn't even a thing?

Nevertheless, I don't think their vision was possible with 2009's graphics and engines. This day on the other hand, I'm pretty sure sunlight could be utilized in order to conceal enemies in front of you. There's just one problem with sunlight - it's coming from one and the same direction, so in order to keep the player blinded to enemies, all the enemies would have to come from the same direction as well. So the levels would have to be constructed in a special way.
Aside from the function of apparently 'blinding' you, nope. Maybe it's just something that got dropped, or they lessened the impact, but it certainly wasn't that prominent in the finished product.

Well, I suppose if you turned your back on the sun it wouldn't affect you, but that's where the swarm effect would come in. If someone attacks from behind, you quick turn to face them, and then the sunlight could hit you straight in the eyes. But it would be a very easy mechanic to overcome; you could just keep your back to something in the shadows. There are instances where it may work, but... in my opinion, it would have to be in very specific circumstances, and wouldn't/didn't work as an overall game mechanic.

Top Bottom