• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you thinking? General Gaming Edition!

Flipqy42

Nevermore
In the case of Dead Space, its because EA killed Visceral Games. I can't speak for everything else though.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Man, Nintendo f*cking killed it at TGA. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 as a Switch exclusive developed by Team Ninja (probably because the Square-Enix/Crystal Dynamics Avengers game is in development for PS4/Xbox One), Mortal Kombat 11 and CTR remake for the Switch, Persona 5's Joker as Smash Ultimate's first DLC character. Anything else I'm forgetting?

So does this mean we'll get Wolverine as Smash Ultimate DLC? Hopefully MUA3 will have more X-Men characters besides Wolvie as well. I'm fairly confident more will be revealed in later trailers for the game, Deadpool will almost certainly make it in since he was in the Marvel Strike Force mobile game alongside Wolverine and he's super popular. I'd love if we got Storm, Gambit, Psylocke, Cyclops, etc., as well.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
I'm absolutely psyched about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Never thought I'd see the day, especially after Activision lost the rights. But holy ****, 10 years later and it's happening! I think it's extremely odd that Nintendo is publishing a Marvel game though, let alone MUA 3. Unless the other 2 games are coming to Switch, I really think they should have at least removed the 3 from the title. I know the previous 2 games didn't really have much to do with each other, but this one is so MCU influenced that it kind of breaks away from the identity of the other more comic book influenced games.

Small nitpick, but either way, I'm excited. I just really really hope this doesn't turn out to be a cheap watered down cash grab. Those graphics, even for the Switch, just seem very unfortunate. It doesn't look too bad in motion, but otherwise, it just strikes me as mobile game or even a low budget kid's game graphics. Hopefully it's not a reflection of the entire game, but the pessimist in me just keeps thinking that we've seen the entire roster of characters, there won't be much in terms of fan service like costumes, abilities, trivia, etc. I just can't shake the feeling that this game is just being rushed to capitalize on Avengers Endgame. I would love to be wrong and get a full on proper Marvel Ultimate Alliance game. I'm just glad Captain Marvel wasn't shoved down our throats in this one, surprisingly.

As for the Smash Bros. DLC announcement, I gotta admit, that was pretty disappointing. I'm not a fan of Persona, but regardless, Joker is just such an odd pick. I mean, is he a character just from Persona 5? Why? So goddamn random and personally, it just feels like a waste. I also very much doubt Wolverine or any Marvel character will ever feature in Smash Bros. I think they've even stated once that the rule for characters is that they have roots in video games. So with Mortal Kombat 11 coming to Switch, I think Scorpion would be absolutely perfect.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
This generation has really been lacking with the games. It feels like developers are slower to release games or have just totally killed or at least put certain franchises on an extremely long hiatus.

How did we get 4 Halos, 4 Gears of Wars, 4 Saint's Rows, 3 Uncharteds, 3 Batmans, 3 Bioshocks, 3 Dead Spaces, 3 Splinter Cells, and 3 Borderlands last gen? Yet, we've only gotten one game, if that, from many of these IPs this gen. Even Rockstar managed to give us 2 GTAs, Bully, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noire, and Max Payne 3 last gen.

What happened? We haven't even gotten a single original GTA game this generation, so Rockstar pretty much just worked on Red Dead Redemption II all this gen. Naughty Dog went from making an entire trilogy of Uncharted games to even starting a new franchise in The Last of Us, to just Uncharted 4, an expansion with Lost Legacy, and now The Last of Us Part II, which will no doubt close the generation. Rocksteady gave us 2 Batman games and WB Montreal added a third, and all we've gotten from Rocksteady this gen was Arkham Knight. Splinter Cell, Saint's Row, Borderlands, Bioshock, and Dead Space have all been M.I.A. this gen too. So strange.[/

I’d say the quality has improved over time at least. I guess it just takes more time when creating those enhanced graphics for these newer games...?
Though Naughty Dog is the type of Company that won’t go and make another game unless they have a solid story concept (which I thought I heard they were finished with the entire Uncharted series). As for Rockstar... well maybe they’re not pushing out that many new games but dammit if they didn’t just release a game of the century. Ok I’m probably a bit bias with RDR2 but the amount of detail and depth developed both in design and story is stunning. Their hard work for the last 5 years really does show.

But I do see your point with how the amount of games coming out for the current gen is lacking. I don’t even care to hear an announcement for a PS5 because of this and I don’t intend to buy the next gen until a game I want to play actually comes out. The first new game that came out for the PS4, that I was actually excited for, was Uncharted 4 and that came out in May 2016!

I think the most disappointing thing for me has been the lack of RE games on top of how RE7 turned out. Sure REmake2 is coming out but I’m not feeling much hype for it yet. Also, the cancelation of Silent Hills was infuriating. I’d go nuts if I heard some company was actually going to try their hand in putting out a respectable addition to the Silent Hill series but that seems very unlikely...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jen

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I think the most disappointing thing for me has been the lack of RE games on top of how RE7 turned out. Sure REmake2 is coming out but I’m not feeling much hype for it yet. Also, the cancelation of Silent Hills was infuriating. I’d go nuts if I heard some company was actually going to try their hand in putting out a respectable addition to the Silent Hill series but that seems very unlikely...
I agree, although games have longer development cycles now compared to 10 years ago. I mean back in the early 00's it wasn't unusual for companies to spew out amazing sequels every each year. Nowadays it will take several years to develop amazing games, I mean just look at the development cycle for RDR2 - Eight frickin' years!

Nevertheless we should've received at least some info about Revelations 3 at this point. Where the hell is our sequel? Natalia's story isn't finished, the way they teased her being possessed by Alex...
At the same time it's been quiet for over a year since Capcom revealed that they're working on Resident Evil 8. Yet there's not a single update regarding its current status...

I personally do not hope that they're just gonna continue make remakes from now on. As much as I want remakes of Nemesis, Dino Crisis and so on, they shouldn't overshadow original ideas.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I’d say the quality has improved over time at least. I guess it just takes more time when creating those enhanced graphics for these newer games...?
Though Naughty Dog is the type of Company that won’t go and make another game unless they have a solid story concept (which I thought I heard they were finished with the entire Uncharted series). As for Rockstar... well maybe they’re not pushing out that many new games but dammit if they didn’t just release a game of the century. Ok I’m probably a bit bias with RDR2 but the amount of detail and depth developed both in design and story is stunning. Their hard work for the last 5 years really does show.

But I do see your point with how the amount of games coming out for the current gen is lacking. I don’t even care to hear an announcement for a PS5 because of this and I don’t intend to buy the next gen until a game I want to play actually comes out. The first new game that came out for the PS4, that I was actually excited for, was Uncharted 4 and that came out in May 2016!

I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. It feels like I'm waiting forever for GTA VI and I hope the time it's taking to release is indicative of the quality it's going to have.

I also don't feel ready for the PS5 at all, purely because I feel that this generation has so much more to give. (Also, where the hell is time going - Uncharted 4 came out two and a half years ago?!).

When it comes to the lack of Resident Evil games this generation, I think that this also wasn't helped by the fact that Resident Evil 7 had very limited replayability. The only thing you'd replay the story for would be if you wanted to get all of the trophies/achievements. The DLC was also a one-and-done type deal; once you had the story, there wasn't really much incentive to play them again. The mini game modes also weren't engaging enough to hold my attention. That means that I didn't spend nearly as much time with RE7 as I have done with previous RE games, so it feels like I've missed out even more with a lack of a Resident Evil game.

I don't know why but I just feel this generation still has so much more to give.

Nevertheless we should've received at least some info about Revelations 3 at this point. Where the hell is our sequel? Natalia's story isn't finished, the way they teased her being possessed by Alex...
At the same time it's been quiet for over a year since Capcom revealed that they're working on Resident Evil 8. Yet there's not a single update regarding its current status...

I personally do not hope that they're just gonna continue make remakes from now on. As much as I want remakes of Nemesis, Dino Crisis and so on, they shouldn't overshadow original ideas.
This. As excited as I am for RE2 Remake (and by the way, I'm extremely excited), I want Revelations 3 and RE8 to be progressed too. I want to see more new stories from the series I love. I just hope they don't continue where they left off with 7.

However, since RE2 is a re-imagining, I guess there'll be enough that's fresh in there. But yeah, I just want to see more progression of the series.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
So I just told my brother about the Metal Gear Solid boardgame slated for release in 2019 and he had this to say:

"Unless the box for the game is big enough to hide in and sneak around, I want no part."

Jonipoon

When it comes to the lack of Resident Evil games this generation, I think that this also wasn't helped by the fact that Resident Evil 7 had very limited replayability. The only thing you'd replay the story for would be if you wanted to get all of the trophies/achievements. The DLC was also a one-and-done type deal; once you had the story, there wasn't really much incentive to play them again. The mini game modes also weren't engaging enough to hold my attention. That means that I didn't spend nearly as much time with RE7 as I have done with previous RE games, so it feels like I've missed out even more with a lack of a Resident Evil game.
I think that's an issue with RE7 being first-person. At least if it was third-person, they could've improved the replayability with unlockable costumes and so on. I mean, it's always fun trying out new costumes on your character. :p

I really wonder how RE7 would have looked like with an "over-the-shoulder" perspective.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I think that's an issue with RE7 being first-person. At least if it was third-person, they could've improved the replayability with unlockable costumes and so on. I mean, it's always fun trying out new costumes on your character. :p

I really wonder how RE7 would have looked like with an "over-the-shoulder" perspective.

First person was an issue for me as well but what also puts me off with replaying the game is how bland Ethan and Mia are. The whole story in general leaves me asking “why are you even a numbered title to the series?!” It’s frustrating because of this.

It was pretty scary playing through the beginning half. The main house in general has a lot of character and is wonderfully designed. Jack and his wife were decent characters/bosses. But by the time you reach Lucas’ funhouse the pacing gets wonky. They really could have worked on tieing the game’s story more into the rest of the series especially working in some things with Revelations.

Dino Tegu

Red Dead Redemption 2 is my Game of the Decade. Rockstar killed it. And this is coming from someone who isn't really into westerns, and wasn't even planning on playing the game.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Red Dead Redemption 2 is my Game of the Decade. Rockstar killed it. And this is coming from someone who isn't really into westerns, and wasn't even planning on playing the game.

Yeah. I didn’t think they could top Red Dead Redemption nor did I think I would like Arthur Morgan more than John Marston but here we are with this masterpiece of a game that has some of the best character development I’ve seen from any media format. Lol

Seriously, Arthur is such a loveable character and that VOICE! :lol:

Dino Tegu

Thing is I never got into the first game. I'll definitely be playing it after I finish the 2nd game though.

I didn't expect such a beautiful story from the people at Rockstar. Most of what I played from them has been GTA and I never took those stories seriously.

Jonipoon

First person was an issue for me as well but what also puts me off with replaying the game is how bland Ethan and Mia are. The whole story in general leaves me asking “why are you even a numbered title to the series?!” It’s frustrating because of this.

It was pretty scary playing through the beginning half. The main house in general has a lot of character and is wonderfully designed. Jack and his wife were decent characters/bosses. But by the time you reach Lucas’ funhouse the pacing gets wonky. They really could have worked on tieing the game’s story more into the rest of the series especially working in some things with Revelations.
Yeah, the funhouse part really felt like it was taken straight out of a indie horror game on Steam. I'm actually against funhouse parts in games in general, for example my least favorite part in Silent Hill 3 is the part where you walk around a haunted mansion in an amusement park...

But I thought Ethan was supposed to be bland though, since he is just an average joe working as a system engineer... But yeah, they could've done more. Mia is definitely boring, and so is Zoe. Perhaps the fact that everyone is wearing the same bland and colorless clothes doesn't help. I mean after all we are used to our characters wearing colorful and over the top action costumes in RE games.

Just take a look at these for comparison:

re7___mia_winters_by_demonleon3d-daz75mu.jpg

Last edited:

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Not that the colourful wetsuit actually helped with Jill's lack of personality in Revelations 1... *cough* But yeah, thanks for bringing up the outfits! I thought I was the only one who was annoyed at Mia and Zoe wearing so similar clothes. :biggrin:

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
So I just told my brother about the Metal Gear Solid boardgame slated for release in 2019 and he had this to say:

"Unless the box for the game is big enough to hide in and sneak around, I want no part."
OK, first off, I didn't even know this was happening, and now I want it, and secondly, ditto what you're brother said :lol:

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
This was kinda a thing back in like 2000's shooters during the hayday of TPS and RE4's success, but when I saw people saying the SMG was garbage in RE2Make and then I took a crack at it and found it to be a godly dismemberment tool and absolutely god tier for fighting bosses, I like the idea of different weapons filling very specific niches. Feels like it would add a low-key strategic use to what could otherwise be redundant combat.

Nothing huge, but big enough that I learned to appreciate every weapon for it's specific strengths.

SentryUnit

What im thinking right now is how close were getting submarines for Battlefield 1 from concept art to audio files from German, Russian, Ottoman, Italian and British soldiers saying enemy submarine spotted. Too bad we did not get any.

Also the Far Cry series is dead to me especially with its latest edition which is garbage. The ultomate Far Cry game would be is to mix both Far Cry 2 and 3. I hope one day we get Africa in a open world game.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Never owned a PS2 growing up, so I finally decided to pick one up this year and been collecting for it since the start of January. This is what I've managed to amass so far.
DRZ1LBF.jpg

I came across a Haunting Ground, but it was either that or half of what I have now. Even though I probably made the right choice, it still hurts leaving that one behind.

Top Bottom