• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Village What’s the deal with Lady Dimitrescu?

Teen Tyrant

The Master Debater
@Teen Tyrant I'm going to be completely honest I don't think it's healthy for you to feel this strongly about a fictional character. Nauseating and revolting are pretty strong terms for someone you don't know personally, let alone someone who isn't even real.

Perhaps Lady D's beauty and comfort with her sexuality, paired with her domineering characterization, remind you of someone in your own life that you feel these thoughts for? Or maybe they make you feel things you'd rather not confront and so you turn to hate?

Either way, please reach out to someone regarding your violent aversion to strong, fictional, female characters. We're all very concerned.

I’m gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re mostly joking here.

I don't think it's healthy for you to feel this strongly about a fictional character.

Umm... allow me to welcome you to your first fandom?

And let me ask you this: what if I felt just as strongly, but in a positive way? Would you still not think it's healthy then? I have my doubts.

Nauseating and revolting are pretty strong terms for someone you don't know personally, let alone someone who isn't even real.

And yet, completely appropriate. As I stated in my original post, it's her appearance, and to a secondary degree, her behavior. Her white skin combined with that lipstick, combined with that awful outfit just triggers something in my brain that makes me want to gag. It's like how a phobia is not based on anything rational; it is by definition irrational, the thing that triggers your phobia is just wired into you to cause a panic reaction when confronted with that thing, regardless if it is an actual danger to you or not. Well, a similar situation is occurring here, as something about Dimitrescu, when I look at her, is just wrong, even though any one of those features on another character would be fine with me. The combination just triggers a nausea in me, with no rational reason for why it should. Her height isn't so much a problem, although it certainly doesn't help. Whether she's real or not, whether I know her or not, is irrelevant. Her appearance makes me sick, and I simply don't get why so many people sexualize her. That's my real confusion when all is said and done, and the reason why I created this thread. I get why some would be drawn to her, but I don't get why she took off so much to become the face of the game in the lead up to the release.

Perhaps Lady D's beauty and comfort with her sexuality, paired with her domineering characterization, remind you of someone in your own life that you feel these thoughts for? Or maybe they make you feel things you'd rather not confront and so you turn to hate?

If you're trying to uncover a Freudian explanation for my dislike of the character, you might want to ask the school you took your Psychology 101 at for a refund. It's cliché, it's ineffective, and it's too easy a means to explain away something inherently irrational.

Furthermore, I call into question your use of the word "beauty" for Lady D, as that is a subjective term, of course, and I clearly think it's an inappropriate label for her.

But also, that phrase: "comfort with her sexuality?" As a woman who lives secluded in an enormous and practically empty castle, with three artificial women that she has had to label as "daughters" in order to feel a bond with someone, her clear hatred and contempt for men, her predilection for dressing in the attire of a bygone age, her obsession with consuming vital bodily fluids beyond the mere desire to survive, her need to be seen as Miranda's favorite, and her reliance on her size and mutated powers to have any kind of influence on those around her... add all that up, and nothing about this woman indicates to me that she's comfortable with her sexuality, or any other aspect of herself. She may put on an air of confidence, and pretend that she owns who she is, but it's very clearly all an act, as her childish and entitled behaviors show the further along you go. That would be like suggesting that Wesker, a man who must consistently hide his most important facial feature behind tinted covers at all times, is confident enough to share his feelings with others just because he's become so powerful.

Either way, please reach out to someone regarding your violent aversion to strong, fictional, female characters.

Once again, my aversion is to her, and her alone. I had no problem with Jill, Claire, Ada, Alexia, Excella, Alex, Helena, Carla, Mia,, Marguerite, or Miranda. Lady Dimitrescu, her I have an issue with, solely because she just looks disgusting.

Again, I question your usage of particular words in that sentence. "Strong?" If you're referring to physical strength, yeah, she's stronger than a normal human, but doesn't posses any level of strength that would be impressive by any of the standards we've seen in the series. Any Tyrant would be able to put her down with ease. If you're referring to strength of character or inner strength, I refer you back up to my list of reason's why I doubt she's comfortable with her sexuality and apply it here, as it's really part of the same overall value. You can also look at the list of females in the series that I have no issue with, and with the exceptions of Carla, Excella, and perhaps Alex, you'll see far better examples of strong female characters.

For your inclusion of "fictional," I refer you back to the paragraph where I explain, again, what my problem with her is. Her fictional status has no relevance.

And finally, was it really necessary to include the word "female" in that sentence? I've had plenty of issue with loads of male characters in the past, from this series and others, and nobody seems to have any issue when I find them repulsive. The Duke is a good example. But then again, I don't see huge swaths of the fanbase sexualizing him in memes all over the place. And you know what? Lady D isn't even the first abnormally tall, mostly human-looking character in the series, but I don't recall a whole lot of attention paid to the super tall, hyper-masculine qualities of Bitores Mendez; most people seem to think him an ugly bastard, and rightly so. So why is it not a problem to dislike him for similar reasons? It wouldn't have anything to do with him having a different gender, would it? Seems like the fact that I have a problem with Lady D isn't so much your area of concern, so much as the fact that it's a female that I have a problem with. The subtext of the rest of your post seems to convey this message as well. If so, you're making it more of an issue than it is, as Dimitrescu's status as a female has no bearing on the reasons I've given. Indeed, if she were a male character, such features would be even more disgusting for me, and I'd really hate seeing all those sexual memes all over the place.

We're all very concerned.

Once again, I'm going to assume that you're mostly joking and exaggerating here, because I highly doubt this statement. This sentence is the least believable, and least relevant, of the whole thing.

Last edited:

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Your use of a thesaurus and nothing you've researched in the almost 48 hours since my post has changed my mind that you're unhealthily invested and overcompensating.

I do hope you find things in your life that are fulfilling enough that you don't need to throw all of your energy into a fandom. Yes we all love Resident Evil but I don't think anyone here has put as much time and effort into hating a character or trying to figure out the appeal behind a meme as you have.

Best regards.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
@Teen Tyrant I’d like to throw something out here, and it’s just a theory, but if this were a male character would you feel the same way? That’s what has made people, myself included, slightly uncomfortable. It makes people assume the worst with the amount of incels and misogyny as of late in real life. I’m not saying you’re an incel or anything like that, but your wording in some areas is incredibly strong, and could have been dialed back a bit.

I’ve noticed this type of abhorrence toward women who aren’t around to be kind/serve men. Female characters like Poison Ivy of dc comics often receive the same critique because she’s not too kind to men, but you’ll see in both Lady D and Poison Ivy’s case... unless you’re their children they’re not going to be kind to you, period. If Ethan had been a woman, they would’ve acted the same way. They feast off the blood of humans, not just men. I know they seemed particularly excited about Ethan, because hey, he’s cute compared to the other villagers there lol and the daughters have barely seen anyone other than their mother for years.

So the assumption of misandry is wrong for these characters. It’s more a case of misanthropy, which I’m oftentimes relating to lol I kid, but man... wouldn’t it be nice to live in a castle away from everyone? No? Just me? okay then.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I don’t want to make any assumptions as to how @Teen Tyrant may or may not feel but some elaboration couldn’t hurt.

Regardless, it’s not usually common (in real life or even fiction) where women partake in mass murder/serial killings so when you do hear of such instances and stories, they are usually bizarre and maybe even seem extra cruel. That being said, I’m really happy that the RE series has done a great job at making some of the most memorable, cruel and twisted villains female. Alex Wesker still wears the crown even when compared to her male counterparts. I say all of this before completing RE8 of course.

Last edited:

Angel

I make good toast
Admin
Premium
I think this has the opportunity to get a bit out of hand, here.

I've not played the game, nor will I ever, but I personally don't see a whole "I hate women" vibe on this thread...maybe I'm missing something but I think this is in danger of being massively derailed into some sort of debate concerning psychology and sexuality and goodness knows what else.

I know I'm in the firing line here, but I think Teen Tyrant's stance has been fully explained now - so we can either discuss the character or let this thread die a natural death without going any further down this rabbit hole.

I'm not trying to be the bad guy, but I can just see this descending into something unpleasant for everyone, and I don't think that's a good thing.

nothri

Your use of a thesaurus and nothing you've researched in the almost 48 hours since my post has changed my mind that you're unhealthily invested and overcompensating.

I do hope you find things in your life that are fulfilling enough that you don't need to throw all of your energy into a fandom. Yes we all love Resident Evil but I don't think anyone here has put as much time and effort into hating a character or trying to figure out the appeal behind a meme as you have.

Best regards.

And if you can't trust the half assed psychoanalysis of some rando on the internet based off a couple overly dramatic rants a fanboy made about a fictional character who can you trust?

Honestly, much as the OP is overemphasizing his own opinion I think you are being way more presumptuous and obnoxious.

nothri

I think the best way to describe the Lady is "unearthly". Yeah, she has features a lot of people consider attractive. But as has been said she's also way taller than most women, her skin is unnaturally pale, and her clothes are anachronistic. Some people find that exotic and are attracted to it. Some people find it unnatural and are repulsed by it. It isn't a bad take on the good old gothic horror trope of the vampire bride. Capcom wants her to be alluring and disturbing in equal proportions.

LadyLightning

After all these months since seeing her outside of the initial reveal trailer, I truly don’t understand the fanbase’s love for - and fetishizing of - Lady Dimitrescu. Seriously, what the hell is going on with this? Are people not seeing how hideous this character is? She’s young-looking, yes, and maybe that’s contributing to it, but I don’t see how her other attributes are somehow softened simply because she’s not an old, decrepit witch. Her chalk-white skin is horrendous, her blood-red lipstick is disgusting, her height is nauseating, and her old-fashioned dress sense is absolutely awful. She is the least sexy female character in the whole series who hasn’t already mutated into a blob of flesh and eyes and limbs. This woman is less attractive for me than pre-mutation Marguerite Baker! I truly don’t get why so many people are obsessed with this character. I can’t stand looking at any screenshots or trailers that include her, and I am probably looking forward to killing her more than I have any Resident Evil creature, ever.

Like, I understand if you don't like the character. But the way you strongly portrayed this in your replies is confusing me. In my opinion, there is not a lot of difference between her and a normal human when it comes to the general appearance. Only differences being her height, slightly paler skin and retractable claws. The beings from Avatar look far more different than her.
So I don't understand why her height and her skin colour make you hate her so much. I understand if you generally don't like the character. Everyone has their own opinion. It just takes me by surprise the way you are reacting.

It has been mentioned that the paler skin could be due to makeup which actually would make sense. A lot of aristocrats and royal women in a past era have used make up to make their skin incredibly pale (example: Queen Victoria). This is to show that you are of a higher status. Peasants who spent day after day outside in the sun have brown, hard and even broken skin from all the work they do. Lady Dimitrescu is the lady of the house. She owns a castle and considers herself of a higher status even among the other Lords. So it makes sense for her to use makeup if she wanted to show this.

And why people fantasise over her, well maybe they like her height. He bigger proportions, the way she walks, the way she talks. She emits power not only with her appearance and height but with personality as well.

You do not like her. You find her unattractive. Alright. That's fine.
Others do. Others find her attractive. That is fine as well.

Some think she is beautiful. Some really like the colour of her skin and you ask why because you find it horrible and disgusting.

Why do you find her pale skin colour disgusting? Her lipstick terrible?

It is hard to explain your own tastes.
Best thing is to accept other peoples tastes and move on really.
I don't understand your view but I accept and respect it.

I hope I contributed somehow to this discussion haha. If not then I had fun posting anyway.

Frag Maniac

This woman is less attractive for me than pre-mutation Marguerite Baker!
Well, I don't obsess over her, and her daughters are easily more attractive, but you lost most of your arguing points when you called her less attractive than that gross Baker woman. I mean I still cringe at the memory of her beehive tender parts when she transforms into a wall crawling bee nest.

RipvanX

I find it funny the only reward RE8 won at Game Awards 2021 was Maggie Robertson’s performance as Lady D. Just goes to show they dropped the ball hard killing her off too early in exchange for half assed villains (except for maybe Heisenberg but meh).

Ikawaru

I found her and especially her daughters morbidly attractive at first especially when she licks Ethan's bloody hand but quickly forgot about her and would barely even remember her if social media didn't meme her constantly. A classic hit, run, and don't look back.

Actually, now that I think about it, I was far more interested in Donna but they killed her off so quick and destroyed those prospects. Ah well.

Frag Maniac

I found her and especially her daughters morbidly attractive at first especially when she licks Ethan's bloody hand but quickly forgot about her and would barely even remember her if social media didn't meme her constantly. A classic hit, run, and don't look back.

Actually, now that I think about it, I was far more interested in Donna but they killed her off so quick and destroyed those prospects. Ah well.
Well, whether CAPCOM decides to say she's an actual ghost vs the art concept being just based on one, and somehow try to bring her back if some players want it, I doubt it will happen. I mean gameplay wise she's the least interesting boss to fight. I didn't find anything in House Beneviento the least bit scary or challenging. I'm not a huge fan of bosses that are more puzzle than combat, but IMO they should at least involve some peril and necessitate killing ancillary creatures, like how we had to deal with Lucas in RE7. Evading and playing hide and seek is not my idea of proper combat in a RE game. The whole segment was laughable really.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
I prefer her daughters. When Dimitrescu showed up I ran away, but everytime the daughters showed up I couldn’t help but let them kill me. They’re hot af.

Overall the section was not utilized well because of its linear structure and surprisingly short length. The castle should’ve been much bigger with lots of interconnecting paths, more puzzles and a wider variety of traps. In short, more of a focal point of the game.

Top Bottom