• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 Very pleasantly surprised

BRoGAN

ResiNerd
Was anyone else pleasantly surprised with this game? After playing Leons campaign I was a litttle dissapointed (I expected it to be the best campaign and the boss ****ed me off) but after completing chris' I was happy and then Jakes was awesome and then Adas ... well that was just friggen awesome :L

What did you guys all think?

Dannymartin89

Leon's story was very good. Could have be incredible with few tweaks and more horror injected into it.

I don't get what the deal is with Chris's story. It's been slated for being boring n tedious but I'm at the final boss battle and nearly enjoyed it as much as Leon's.

Yet to play as jake but I am very much looking forward to it with the ustanak!

BRoGAN

ResiNerd
Just wait until you have finished all 3 and the bonus campaign is unlocked. If you loved the older games you will love it, puzzles!!!!!!!!!

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Its actually the opposite with me.

I enjoyed Leon's part of the game but felt disappointed with Jake and Chris's over the top action fiasco.

I also liked Ada's which I just recently beat and its nice thowback to the classic puzzle solving.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
There are only two issues I had with this game: that the storylines weren't developed well enough for my liking, it just seemed like they were all very simple plot ideas drawn out over the chapters, and how linear the game was, in that you never revisited areas, like you moved past one place and never really went back. I've already posted this opinion in another thread, so I won't bore people with it again. :p

Dannymartin89

Yeah I totally agree with plots being simple whereas all previous games had an intricate plot throughout. Yes the game is linear but resident evils are linear. Remember the RE1 where u revisited room after room looking for objects for puzzles?

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Yes the game is linear but resident evils are linear.

actually no.

Most Resident Evil games allowed you to backtrack to previous areas and would only get cut off at a "certain part" of the game where you would reach a new area (such as in Code Veronica and RE0, and RE4) and even then you could still explore and backtrack through that new area.

Resident Evil games where far from being linear.

It only got that way when RE5 came out.

Even in RE4 you could backtrack through the entire village,Castle, or Island area.

I hate that Capcom has taken away backtracking large areas, but hopefully they will bring it back.

Dannymartin89

I'm not. I don't see any point backtracking into areas that you don't need to. I'd still say all of them were linear as such. As there's no 3d world to explore. Just room by room. Hallway by hallway. Especially from RE4 upwards

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I'm not. I don't see any point backtracking into areas that you don't need to. I'd still say all of them were linear as such. As there's no 3d world to explore. Just room by room. Hallway by hallway. Especially from RE4 upwards

What do you mean?

In RE4 it was required to backtrack through the village to find additional items to help you proceed in your journey.

In the older ones it was required that you backtrack to find keys and secrets in order for you to move forward.

You didn't simply have to backtrack for the hell of it, you actually NEEDED to in order to either continue on or find items you may have not been able to get earlier.

That not linear at all.

Not sure what your definition of linear is really.

Linear is where the series is at now, as in you simply go forward through the game without the option or NEED to backtrack.

La Femme Fatale

The Queen
Was anyone else pleasantly surprised with this game? After playing Leons campaign I was a litttle dissapointed (I expected it to be the best campaign and the boss ****ed me off) but after completing chris' I was happy and then Jakes was awesome and then Adas ... well that was just friggen awesome :L

What did you guys all think?
I actually had the exact same reaction to the game you did... I was quite unimpressed with Leon's campaign and it was the first one I played though - I felt it started off great but went downhill and got redundant fast after fighting Simmons a billion times.

I enjoyed Chris' campaign leaps and bounds more... I loved the story and the characters (this coming from a shameless Leon fangirl) and I'm not one to scoff at action so I saw little wrong with it. And the final boss was awesome. Jake's was great too and Ada's campaign - which was probably my favourite - brought them all together quite nicely.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium

I think you misunderstood what I meant by linear - if you imagine the progression of the game to be a straight line, in that you have to just move along the line as you progress, never moving backwards. That's linear. If you had to loop back using a different route that took you back, because you needed to get a key from that place or whatever - if you actually HAD to go backwards in order to progress forwards, unlocking new routes and doors along the way - then that would be non-linear. I just feel that sometimes it's fun to have to leave doors locked, then come back to them later when you have the right key, or means to get into them. It juts makes the games more interesting in my opinion.

ToCool74

Veteran Member
I think you misunderstood what I meant by linear - if you imagine the progression of the game to be a straight line, in that you have to just move along the line as you progress, never moving backwards. That's linear. If you had to loop back using a different route that took you back, because you needed to get a key from that place or whatever - if you actually HAD to go backwards in order to progress forwards, unlocking new routes and doors along the way - then that would be non-linear. I just feel that sometimes it's fun to have to leave doors locked, then come back to them later when you have the right key, or means to get into them. It juts makes the games more interesting in my opinion.

summed up nicely.;)

I just like having to actually think about ways on how I am going to progress through the game as opposed to just using my shooting skills to shoot my way out of problems to move forward which is pretty much what the majority of RE6 is.

Despite that, I got enjoyment out of Leon and Ada's campaigns.

I just feel that It could have been much better with the less "non linear" approach on things.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
summed up nicely.;)

I just like having to actually think about ways on how I am going to progress through the game as opposed to just using my shooting skills to shoot my way out of problems to move forward which is pretty much what the majority of RE6 is.

Despite that, I got enjoyment out of Leon and Ada's campaigns.

I just feel that It could have been much better with the less "non linear" approach on things.

Glad it's not just me on this. And I agree, the games actually took some thought back then, deciding whether or not you could open a door on the spot, risking it if not and being able to see how it comes into play later, being able to explore new areas that lead back to the same place... Like you said, instead of just knowing if you shoot your way through everything and know that you're just going for that one door up ahead, and that once you clear the room you can progress, you actually have to think about routes and unexplored areas. It's also why i liked the map in RE4 cos you could plan your route ahead, see a new route and try and figure out how to get there etc.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
To be honest i loved the game but hated Jake's and Leon's Campaigns

Jake's is self explanatory

Leon's was a REAL drsg with those 1 hit kill bosses
I mean three deaths the exact same way is fine
But when it does nothing BUT the hit kill move is VERY annoying

Also Hated Chris's Final boss

Especially on Pro

Nashtalia

B.S.A.A. Agent
my mind was blown (in a good way) during playing it. i would say that Leon's campain (being Helena) was my Most Favourite campain out of all the other campains, for the fact. i was given a "Survival-Horror" (Suspense) experience. (specifically the first few missions).

MetalGamer2

Survivor
I actually really loved this game, but wasn't really "surprised" since I had high expectations to begin with XD

The only campaign I was actually pleasantly surprised with was Chris' campaign, because it's the only campaign I didn't have high expectations for. I thought it was just going to be huge testosterone action, with less story and character focus, but I was wrong! It turned out to have a great story (like all the campaigns) and it was way more emotional than I expected.

Also, Ada's campaign was amazing! It felt the most like old-school RE with the puzzles and single-player.

And, in response to this...
I hate that Capcom has taken away backtracking large areas, but hopefully they will bring it back.

What about Revelations? That game had plenty of backtracking since the majority of the story took place on the same ship. And that came out fairly recently. Revelations gave me a lot faith that things can go back to the way they were, while still incorporating elements of the new games :)

ADAxWONG

On A Mission...
Leon to me was the easiest also kinda boring. Fighting Simmons 4 times!!! A BIG NO!
Chris was what I expected gameplay wise. But was good on the ending, (though I wish Piers didn't die.)
Jake's is very fun! Some parts seem impossible without a live partner, other times its best to have a AI partner.
Ada, absolute amazing, I know that campaign inside and out. FAV.

TheVacantThrone

He's a mental giant, TECH N9NE!
To be honest i loved the game but hated Jake's and Leon's Campaigns

Jake's is self explanatory

Leon's was a REAL drsg with those 1 hit kill bosses
I mean three deaths the exact same way is fine
But when it does nothing BUT the hit kill move is VERY annoying

Also Hated Chris's Final boss

Especially on Pro

I loved Chris' final boss, i don't see why everyone hates it. It looks good, it's enormous, it's hard to kill. It's easily my favourite boss in the game, just beating the Ustanak.

Top Bottom