• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Resident Evil opinions thread.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
NO Flaming, no debating. Just state your unpopular RE opinion. You can press like, or respond to someone, but no debating nonsense. Freedom of speech people. LRN2 use it! (but not hatefully as stated above.)

Okay... I'll go first. -coughs nervously-

1. I think Jake is overrated. (Not that I don't like his character, I totally do. BUT I think Sherry was overshadowed by his story. The fans had been waiting for Sherry to return only to have the "Jake show" totally overpower her story. They should've at least given her a little more backstory, maybe cutscenes of her in her cell growing up, being tested on and whatnot. They also tried too hard to make Jake "cool". He ended up with more corny lines than I'd like, especially for the voice actor he had.)

2. HUNK isn't a big deal to me. I've never gotten the hype behind his character. Sure, he's cool and all that, but it's like people practically jizz on themselves whenever he's mentioned in a game.

3. Carlos is fine with me, but I'd rather not see him again. I actually thought he was cooler in the movies for once. (I hate those movies too, don't get me wrong, but Oded Fehr really brought him to life and made him cooler than I had originally thought!)
4. I only like Barry for the sandwich joke, and funny one liners. :oops:

5. Chris and Leon have had far too much attention lately and need to retire for a few titles.

6. I love Helena Harper. She's the only RE character with a full story arc and I don't understand all the hate she gets. I really think she has a lot of potential for another title. After she lost her sister she seemingly grew some compassion. I think she was really human near the end and not bitchy like she was at the beginning. I feel as though if she's in another title, she'll be sure to try her best to keep everyone alive. Losing her sister made her even tougher IMO. She's essentially a genderbent Chris and I like that. She has her flaws, but that just makes me love her more.

7. I also love Rebecca Chambers to pieces, always have. So sue me. :p

8. I think RE needs romance aside from Leon and Ada. I actually think there should be straight romance and even a homosexual character. I mean come on... all those women are in the special forces and you're telling me not one of them is gay? Please... Same with the dudes.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
NO Flaming, no debating. Just state your unpopular RE opinion. You can press like, or respond to someone, but no debating nonsense. Freedom of speech people. LRN2 use it! (but not hatefully as stated above.)

Okay... I'll go first. -coughs nervously-

1. I think Jake is overrated. (Not that I don't like his character, I totally do. BUT I think Sherry was overshadowed by his story. The fans had been waiting for Sherry to return only to have the "Jake show" totally overpower her story. They should've at least given her a little more backstory, maybe cutscenes of her in her cell growing up, being tested on and whatnot. They also tried too hard to make Jake "cool". He ended up with more corny lines than I'd like, especially for the voice actor he had.)
2. HUNK isn't a big deal to me. I've never gotten the hype behind his character. Sure, he's cool and all that, but it's like people practically jizz on themselves whenever he's mentioned in a game.
3. Carlos is fine with me, but I'd rather not see him again. I actually thought he was cooler in the movies for once. (I hate those movies too, don't get me wrong, but Oded Fehr really brought him to life and made him cooler than I had originally thought!)
4. I only like Barry for the sandwich joke, and funny one liners. :oops:
5. Chris and Leon have had far too much attention lately and need to retire for a few titles.
6. I love Helena Harper. She's the only RE character with a full story arc and I don't understand all the hate she gets. I really think she has a lot of potential for another title. After she lost her sister she seemingly grew some compassion. I think she was really human near the end and not bitchy like she was at the beginning. I feel as though if she's in another title, she'll be sure to try her best to keep everyone alive. Losing her sister made her even tougher IMO. She's essentially a genderbent Chris and I like that. She has her flaws, but that just makes me love her more.
7. I also love Rebecca Chambers to pieces, always have. So sue me. :p
8. I think RE needs romance aside from Leon and Ada. I actually think there should be straight romance and even a homosexual character. I mean come on... all those women are in the special forces and you're telling me not one of them is gay? Please... Same with the dudes.

You noticed that with Jake as well?
Yeah the instant I heard Sherry WITHOUT Re2 I was already hyped

I can't really say much about the game so I'll go with the characters

Chris-I very muched enjoyed him in 1,CV (CVX) and 5, 6 just made me dislike him in one go (That is a acomplishment)

Leon-I always had a thing for Leon (despite being a male) Also hasn't he technically been in more games than chris?

Ada-Personal Favourite Character so I'd rather not say anything about her

Carlos- I really liked him-Reasons: I really don't know

Wesker-Main Villian and isn't a total idiot *CoughSimmonsCough*

Jill-I forget when I started disliking her but I just hate her now

Rebecca-My third favorite in the Series, I just found her character how people that work with any of the main characters should act. Also I recently enjoyed her in a Redo of Zero and Umbrella chronicles (Her Solo Stage is Badass)

Billy-If you ask me this is how Jake should of been like, While Jake's and Sherry's relation has a little resemblence it is inferior compared to Becca and Billy

Piers-I Liked his character but I thought "two chris's?

Hell No!" so I ignored his character

HUNK-I find him very entertaining

The S.T.A.R.S team-They all had acted as a elite force would (Minus Forest? I believe his name was)

and finally

Helena-I dislike her character for many reasons, IMO she has no character devolpment at all, plus she never tells you anything! If you are in a zombie apocalypse with somebody else ya gotta trust them (Well That's what I think)

There was no trust between Leon and Helena. She pretty much automatically made Ada, Leon's actual Partner

Btw can we talk about B.O.W?

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Yeah you can talk about BOW's. Afterall, it's a general RE unpopular opinions thread! If you have a problem with weapons, monsters, hell, even a stage in mercs feel free to talk about it!

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
NO Flaming, no debating. Just state your unpopular RE opinion. You can press like, or respond to someone, but no debating nonsense.

No debating nonsense, okay, but am I at least allowed to tell you who damn right you are? I couldn't stop nodding when I read your first post, especially at the parts with Hunk and the lack of (openly) gay characters.

My most unpopular opinion is probably my dislike for three of the fan community's most beloved characters: Jill, Leon, and Wesker. I was recently asked about my opinion on Jill and you can read it here, so I won't repeat it, but in short: It's her lack of personality that bothers me.

As for Leon, the opposite is the case: He has too many different personalities, so that whenever a new game or movie with him is announced, I start to wonder which version of him we're going to see. The developers seem to re-adjust his character whenever something new comes up, depending on what makes him look most badass in the respective situation. And with that, I feel that he, too, is overrated. His snarky comments and his attitude towards the ladies might be popular with many fans, but it just makes me roll my eyes more often than not. Even though RE6 made me like him better than before, I think the developers should finally choose one of the Leons they have created and stick with him instead of continuously reinventing him. And get rid of that silly Leon & Ada soap opera already! After fifteen years, it's time to let their relationship evolve in some way or drop it altogether.

And Wesker... well, not much to say about him. As Chris puts it in RE5, he's a comic book villain who was only introduced because the game needed a villain, and became popular/memorable because of his shades (or whatever), that's why he's been kept alive for so long. I didn't shed a tear when he died and I don't want him back.

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
I'm not sure how unpopular these are, since a couple of them had already been mentioned in here, but here's a few:

Piers - I felt absolutely nothing for this character. I found him annoying, and was really hoping Chris would beat his ass when he would get all hossy with him. He died. Oh well.

Jake - He was an awesome disappointment for me. While Wesker was certainly over the top in RE5, at least it led up to him being ridiculous. Being a "Wesker Offspring" could've went in a totally better direction IMO. He wasn't reminicant of good ol' Albert in any way other than being an asshole. He could've at least been cunning, calculated, hell, anything but a big tuff guy who is "cool" cause he curses -__-

Sheva - I liked her. She felt out of place but I liked her character. So sue me.

The B.O.W.s - Save maybe one or two from RE4-RE6, but they've been feeling pretty uninspired and all around non-scary. And I'm sick of being shot at all the damn time. Enemies with guns is the last thing I think of when I hear "Resident Evil".

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Now that Sheva has been mentioned: I like Ashley.
No April fool hoax, no sarcasm, irony, nothing like that. I like Ashley. Full stop.
Wow! Coming out was easier than I thought.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
I almost want to post my unpopular ships, but I'll wait for a little while longer. I don't wanna scare everyone away YET!

Reactions: Hel

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
B.O.Ws-I only wanna name about 3 that I ever liked throught the whole series

Nemesis-He was fun, finally a non-zombie wanted to kill you and didn't die the first time you killed him

Hunters-Hard as fudge to kill but made me feel like wesker every time I killed it

Mutations-I always thought they were pretty cool (not much else

Mercenaries-Loved the game mode The only thing I play when I played 4.5.6 after I beat it

Weapons-My Biggest Issue has to do with one weapon...Handguns

They are so WEAK, I love handguns I use them so often I get up to 150 Shotgun shells on Mercs MERCS Should that even be possible?

I really want a Buff to handguns.

Can't think of anything else since I already said Characters...

Fenris

Wolf :)
For now I'll give my opinion about two RE6 characters:

Leon S Kennedy: Hel said it the best. He somehow always has a new personality with each game and there is no real reason why he always acts like he does. Seriously does he have some kind of mind control in his head that tells him "Now you're the Termaninator" and "Now you're getting pushed around by Claire and Ada" ? And appart from RE2 there is nothing that would really justify his developments. Even at the end of RE4 he is like "I can't let Ada go" and then in Degneration he is like "I'm emotionless" I kinda liked him in RE6 but still there is no real reason why his personality is so different again...

Helena Harper: Even though Helena annoys me at some points she has grown on me somehow. But there are still a few things that I really DISLIKE about her. First of she can't decide whether she wants to be a drama queen "Deborah here, Deborah there, Deborah everywhere" or cold and heartless "Let's not save those survivors and rather go to the cathedral" And the way she was involved with the storyline was ridiculous at some points... The whole "Deborah as hostage" part was alright but the way she guided Leon around like she was part of "the family" in the first place. If Capcom would have had more time for the development I'm sure they would have made this kind of dialog as well:

Leon: "Give it up Simmons! We got you!"
Simmons: "Helena, I am your father!"
Helena: "NOOOOOO!!!!!!"
Leon: "Please Capcom, it's not too late for the reboot..."

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Leon: "Give it up Simmons! We got you!"
Simmons: "Helena, I am your father!"
Helena: "NOOOOOO!!!!!!"
Leon: "Please Capcom, it's not too late for the reboot..."

This part made me LOL so hard because sadly, it's probably true about Capcom. XD They really can't make up their minds lately can they?

I feel like this what they did with RE6...

Capcom: HEY LET'S MAKE ANOTHER RE GAME! This time we'll have Chris...

Other guy: What about Leon?!

Other guy #2: WHY NOT BOTH?!

Capcom: OH YES... BOTH OF THEM IN THE SAME GAME... NOW WHAT.

Other guy: EXPLOSIONS!

Other guy #2: HOT CHICKS!

Other guy #3: ... Sherry Birkin? I mean... the fans really want her...

Capcom: EXPLOSIONS, HOT CHICKS... WE COULD TURN SHERRY INTO A HOT CHICK CAN'T WE? WE'LL THROW IN A RANDOM TOUGH BITCH TOO TO PUSH LEON AROUND! Let's give her an awesome story, but kind of make her stupid too. YEAH!

Them: YEAH!

Capcom: ALRIGHT SHERRY IS IN IT... BUT GUESS WHAT. Let's do a plot twist... uhhh UHMM ALBERT WESKER HAS A SON AND HE'S THE COOLEST MOTHER F*CKER ON THE PLANET! Let's not explain anything about his mother and make HIM the main hero of the new game. OH YEAH AND EVERYONE GETS NAKED! RESIDENT EVIL 6, HERE WE COME!

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Unpopular huh?

1. Well, I kind of like the action-y RE games more than the originals. I'm just not scared or frightened by them. BUT I do agree that some of the action sequences are a bit ridiculous.
  2. I do not care much for Carlos, Barry, HUNK, and Billy, so I do not care if they return or not.
  3. I feel that RE2 and RE3 does not need a full REmake, just a massive update in graphics. (though I wouldn't mind one)
That's all that I can think of.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I think my most unpopular opinion is definitely my distaste for Leon. I don't necessarily hate him, mind you, I just think he was colossally mishandled, and almost from the start. And it's not even the 'he's a badass' thing either (my other possibly unpopular opinion is that I love the fact that everyone in the series is a 'badass')! It's more like what others have said in this thread; He's like a different character every time we see him. He was kind of dopey in a slightly charming way in RE2, he was practically a f*cking Steven Seagal character in RE4, and he was a more likeable yet still crash-happy mishmash of the two in RE6.

Honestly, I think most of the characters are mishandled in much the same way. The most consistent has been Chris. He's always been mostly a cookie-cutter jarhead. And I don't really mean that in a bad way. I think it really works for him!

Reactions: Hel

Mantis TabogganMD

#TEAMGRIMES
This part made me LOL so hard because sadly, it's probably true about Capcom. XD They really can't make up their minds lately can they?

I feel like this what they did with RE6...

Capcom: HEY LET'S MAKE ANOTHER RE GAME! This time we'll have Chris...

Other guy: What about Leon?!

Other guy #2: WHY NOT BOTH?!

Capcom: OH YES... BOTH OF THEM IN THE SAME GAME... NOW WHAT.

Other guy: EXPLOSIONS!

Other guy #2: HOT CHICKS!

Other guy #3: ... Sherry Birkin? I mean... the fans really want her...

Capcom: EXPLOSIONS, HOT CHICKS... WE COULD TURN SHERRY INTO A HOT CHICK CAN'T WE? WE'LL THROW IN A RANDOM TOUGH BITCH TOO TO PUSH LEON AROUND! Let's give her an awesome story, but kind of make her stupid too. YEAH!

Them: YEAH!

Capcom: ALRIGHT SHERRY IS IN IT... BUT GUESS WHAT. Let's do a plot twist... uhhh UHMM ALBERT WESKER HAS A SON AND HE'S THE COOLEST MOTHER F*CKER ON THE PLANET! Let's not explain anything about his mother and make HIM the main hero of the new game. OH YEAH AND EVERYONE GETS NAKED! RESIDENT EVIL 6, HERE WE COME!
Actually, the game was originally supposed to be one campaign with just Leon(co-op I'm sure, but I can't remember). Then someone drew concept art of Leon and Chris pointing guns at each other and that's when sheet hit the fan.

Concept Dude: ZOMG LOOK WHAT I DREW ISN'T IT AWESOME!!!!!!

Capcom: YES, OUR DECISION IS FINAL, EVERYONE LOVES LEON AND CHRIS, LETS PUT THEM IN THE SAME GAME FOR THE SAKE OF IT!

And it was all downhill from there, lolz. Shallow concept = shallow story.

That's exactly how the conversation went, too ^-^

Flipqy42

Nevermore
Actually, the game was originally supposed to be one campaign with just Leon(co-op I'm sure, but I can't remember). Then someone drew concept art of Leon and Chris pointing guns at each other and that's when sheet hit the fan.

Concept Dude: ZOMG LOOK WHAT I DREW ISN'T IT AWESOME!!!!!!

Capcom: YES, OUR DECISION IS FINAL, EVERYONE LOVES LEON AND CHRIS, LETS PUT THEM IN THE SAME GAME FOR THE SAKE OF IT!

And it was all downhill from there, lolz. Shallow concept = shallow story.

That's exactly how the conversation went, too ^-^

Thank goodness that Concept Dude wasn't a yaoi fan, otherwise RE6 could have been a very different game.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I can only think of a few at the moment.

1. I think the Resident Evil games are not scary and I mean ALL of them, except for maybe just one of them but that is a huge IF.
2. I hate with a capital HATE Alfred Ashford (I was convinced at one point and I stopped hating him, but after seeing some more of Code Veronica, I reverted back to hating him.) and I find him annoying, like someone shoved glass in your ear annoying.

3. I love co-op.

Some Nights

No Shape
Some of these are about as unpopular as it can get probably.

1. Resident Evil 4 is my least favorite main series entry.
2. No more Leon or Chris. The next game should either bring back old characters that have been MIA pretty much or just have only new ones overall.
3. Leon is probably my least favorite character.
4. The only "scary" game in the whole series is the remake.
5. I ended up liking the new characters (Helena, Jake, Piers) more then the returning ones in 6.

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
Some of these are about as unpopular as it can get probably.

1. Resident Evil 4 is my least favorite main series entry.
2. No more Leon or Chris. The next game should either bring back old characters that have been MIA pretty much or just have only new ones overall.
3. Leon is probably my least favorite character.
4. The only "scary" game in the whole series is the remake.
5. I ended up liking the new characters (Helena, Jake, Piers) more then the returning ones in 6.

I agree with most of these points so either OUR opinions are unpopular or... yeah I think our opinions are unpopular XD

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Leon IMO had the best personality in Re4 (For him at least) But Darkside Chronicles (Memories of the Lost city ending) kinda goes hand in hand with Re4 Leon's persona

Chris was better in CVX, or Actually 5 since that one showed more moral, Hell I believe it rivals Big Boss's

They should of worked a bit more on sherry as well...since they regard her as if you already knew the freakin' series which many didn't

Other than those 2 (Sherry and Leon) I pretty much loath the whole Re Cast ESPECIALLY Jill. Did I say jill already?

Well I freakin' hope she dies a grusome Re4 style death :mad:

I'm Sorry had a little moment there...

Top Bottom