• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unpopular Resident Evil opinions thread.

svp

NO Flaming, no debating. Just state your unpopular RE opinion. You can press like, or respond to someone, but no debating nonsense. Freedom of speech people. LRN2 use it! (but not hatefully as stated above.)

Okay... I'll go first. -coughs nervously-

1. I think Jake is overrated. (Not that I don't like his character, I totally do. BUT I think Sherry was overshadowed by his story. The fans had been waiting for Sherry to return only to have the "Jake show" totally overpower her story. They should've at least given her a little more backstory, maybe cutscenes of her in her cell growing up, being tested on and whatnot. They also tried too hard to make Jake "cool". He ended up with more corny lines than I'd like, especially for the voice actor he had.)
2. HUNK isn't a big deal to me. I've never gotten the hype behind his character. Sure, he's cool and all that, but it's like people practically jizz on themselves whenever he's mentioned in a game.
3. Carlos is fine with me, but I'd rather not see him again. I actually thought he wasought cooler in the movies for once. (I hate those movies too, don't get me wrong, but Oded Fehr really brought him to life and made him cooler than I had originally thought!)
4. I only like Barry for the sandwich joke, and funny one liners. :oops:
5. Chris and Leon have had far too much attention lately and need to retire for a few titles.
6. I love Helena Harper. She's the only RE character with a full story arc and I don't understand all the hate she gets. I really think she has a lot of potential for another title. After she lost her sister she seemingly grew some compassion. I think she was really human near the end and not bitchy like she was at the beginning. I feel as though if she's in another title, she'll be sure to do her best to keep everyone alive. Losing her sister made her even tougher IMO. She's essentially a genderbent Chris and I like that. She has her flaws, but that just makes me love her more.
7. I also love Rebecca Chambers to pieces, always have. So sue me. :p
8. I think RE needs romance aside from Leon and Ada. I actually think there should be straight romance and even a homosexual character. I mean come on... all those women are in the special forces and you're telling me not one of them is gay? Please... Same with the dudes.
pretty much sums up everything I ever thought about all the characters! Sherry does need some time to shine, gurl never can get a break, I would of loved to hear her back story. and Jake just seemed to be an over the top "I am bad because I say condescending one liners!" kinda guy..hes annoying to me. I agree with you about hunk...like what is the big deal about him? dude has no character. I do think Helena is interesting and I would like to know more about her but she didnt really give up any personal information at all "except where is my sister?" I would like to see her in another title though...she reminds me of the Zero dark thirty woman. if you haven't seen that movie I suggest you do. It will remind you of her, its about a bad ass CIA chick who uses her sharp intuition to find Osama, putting all the men in line lol

Storyofmylife

The watchful protector.
pretty much sums up everything I ever thought about all the characters! Sherry does need some time to shine, gurl never can get a break, I would of loved to hear her back story. and Jake just seemed to be an over the top "I am bad because I say condescending one liners!" kinda guy..hes annoying to me. I agree with you about hunk...like what is the big deal about him? dude has no character. I do think Helena is interesting and I would like to know more about her but she didnt really give up any personal information at all "except where is my sister?" I would like to see her in another title though...she reminds me of the Zero dark thirty woman. if you haven't seen that movie I suggest you do. It will remind you of her, its about a bad ass CIA chick who uses her sharp intuition to find Osama, putting all the men in line lol

I DID see that movie and yeah it did remind me of Helena! I also think Debra Morgan from Dexter is a lot like her too. Dunno if you ever watch that show. I'd imagine she would have a potty mouth much like that. XD

Reactions: svp

MissDomino

Premium
I agree with a lot of the points mentioned in this thread.
The only one I could think of right now, is that I actually kind of like the alternate costumes on RE6. Personally, I like them even more than some of the ones from the other games. For example Remake's Sarah Connor Jill and whatever Chris was supposed to be. The ones on the Chronicles games weren't really special either.
I kind of like how over the top, colourful and ridiculous the ones on RE6 are.

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I just thought of some more.

4. I don't know how many people like this character, but I know that some people like him him, but I can't stand Beltway. I thought he was the most annoying with the constantly swearing every 5 seconds.
5. I think that a good majority of the antagonists are pathetic. It is like almost every time there is a new antagonist they end up ruining themselves because they pull the "I got the perfect opportunity to kill you but I'm not going to because I want to keep boasting on how much better I am than you". I've only seen this be avoided a total of 1 time.
6. I didn't think Ashley was a pain to deal with.

weskerondope

i like re 3 twice as much as re2, but re2 is still great
i like re6 way better than revelations, i think revelations is the weakest game in the series, even weaker than survivor
i like the live action movies more than the cg (yeah i probably deserve to be spanked for that)
but in general in dissapointed in all movies
oh yeah i also consider resident evil (1996) and resident evil (remake) 2 separate games
everyone seem to think of them as the same game,
but in my opinion thats like saying evil dead from 1980s is the same movie as the new evil dead movie
thats it for now

Sonnentreppe

wordy agronaut
I'LL JUST SAY IT: I think Wesker is ****. I was totally unimpressed with him in RE1. The slicked-back hair, the voice, the sunglasses... Granted, everyone was cheesy in RE1, but Wesker was the cheesiest. He did not redeem himself in CVX; he seemed just as cheesy. And in RE4 and 5, he was, again, cheesy. Frankly, I hate him, and I'm glad that he's dead. Good riddance! *phew* I think I'll stop there for now... :p

meg5493

I hate Ada. She is the worst character in the series imo she does the same thing in every game she is in. I also hate how Capcom keeps pushing a relationship of Ada/Leon in the games now, I prefer Leon/Claire anyway but Capcom just threw her away with all the other past RE character like Billy Carlos, Rebecca

Reactions: 013

HappyLeech

Queen of the tl;dr
Hmmm...unpopular opinions.... (idk if any of these are unpopular but idk XD)
-
( this is going to seem silly BUT)
I...kinda hate the reboot outfits that Claire and Ada have been given in ORC, UC, and DC. I know they're just nicer looking versions, but I prefer Claire in that horrible pink mess. Ada looks better in the hot pink....thing she's wearing, and she seems less prepared for the zombies.
(For more on this line of thinking, please ask me for the small essay I wrote about Ada's outfits in RE2, City of the Dead, and the reboot of her outfit UwU)
(Also ask me about the large essay I'm writing about Ada as featured in City of the Dead)
(Ask me about Ada)
-
JILLS FACE D: It looks....idk, I think she's looked the most human/attractive in the original RE1, RE3 and RE5 :T every other game she just looks...stunned. On drugs. Like she's been hit with a shovel.
-
I liked Wesker until RE5. Then he just got....weird and cheesy. And lame. (I also didn't like the whole 'we kidnapped you from your parents to make a super soldier dude' backstory thing he got either in RE5. I liked the idea of him running around screaming "F YOU F YOU F YOU" while injecting himself with viruses for the heck of it instead)
-
I love the books. I love the books, I love the books, I LOVE THE BOOKS. And I will write a large essay about why I love them and why you should to and then I will send you copies of them (This probably isn't an unpopular opinion but I don't care everyone should know about the books OwO)
-
I hated Chris throughout the majority of RE6. The only good things about him in that game, imo, was the park and the panda ride, and the ending. because then I didn't have to play as him anymore because then he showed an emotion other than testosterone, anger, blind rage, and assholeness. But as a character, I find him pretty...boring.
-
There are certain characters I don't think they should bring back. Barry, for one. He has a family! Wesker uses that against him in RE1, and I'm sure he'd rather take them somewhere safe than take on Umbrella.
(oops wait Barry was the only one I could think of atm XD)
-
I...don't like the idea that Annette Birkin was a sympathetic character, actually caring for Sherry. idk, I just like the idea that Sherry's parents were both dbags more. And her mom was crazy.
-
Rebecca and Billy need to come back in a story. Jill and Carlos need to meet up again. Sheva needs to show up and punch the man-pain off of Chris's face.
-
I like Ashely in theory for RE4. In actuality I find her annoying. But that being said, I want her back. Maybe as a cameo in a game? Give us a time where Leon is talking to Hunnigan and Ashley walks up and they chat! Give Ashely a job plz.
-
I really really like Helena and Ada and I like all the RE girls....that I've seen so far. I like them a lot more than the boys, most times.
(Sheva and Jill need to team up and save the world)
-
....holy sheet this is waaaay too long I'm just going to....stop now.....

Dede

Unpopular opinions is such a popular thread that I've seen it on every forum I go.

I don't mind Resident Evil 4's inexistence.

Over-the-shoulder view is such a turn-off.

English version of Resident Evil games is unavailable in Japan.

Looking at this thread I must say I don't think most of these are unpopular, it's more like, "Your RE opinions." Oh well, here go mine.

I do NOT want a remake of RE2, that's right I said it. The game is fine just the way it is, all they would do is make a bunch of changes and additions I that would ruin the story and characters.

Ada Wong is a pointless, lame a$$, boring, and shallow character that should have died and stayed dead in RE2.

I never understood the major hard on for Barry and Hunk. I mean, they're not bad characters, I just never got what was so great about them.

A high majority of RE fans are unbelievably impossible to please and will never be happy unless RE goes back to it's original formula (And they would probably still find something to complain about.) which sounds like a good idea but it would eventually kill the franchise as it almost did before RE4 was made. Don't get me wrong the first games were gold, but anything staying the same way for a long time will eventually fail. Which leads to my next opinion...

...Resident Evil 4 saved the franchise.

I think RE6 is a good game.

I would phuck William Birkin.

I think most, Leon, Chris, Jill haters are just mad that other characters from the old games arn't around rather than having legitimate reasons to hate the quality of the characters.

I don't think Sheva's AI was that bad.

That's all I can think of for now. Toodles.

weskerondope

Looking at this thread I must say I don't think most of these are unpopular, it's more like, "Your RE opinions." Oh well, here go mine.

I do NOT want a remake of RE2, that's right I said it. The game is fine just the way it is, all they would do is make a bunch of changes and additions I that would ruin the story and characters.

Ada Wong is a pointless, lame a$$, boring, and shallow character that should have died and stayed dead in RE2.

I never understood the major hard on for Barry and Hunk. I mean, they're not bad characters, I just never got what was so great about them.

A high majority of RE fans are unbelievably impossible to please and will never be happy unless RE goes back to it's original formula (And they would probably still find something to complain about.) which sounds like a good idea but it would eventually kill the franchise as it almost did before RE4 was made. Don't get me wrong the first games were gold, but anything staying the same way for a long time will eventually fail. Which leads to my next opinion...

...Resident Evil 4 saved the franchise.

I think RE6 is a good game.

I would phuck William Birkin.

I think most, Leon, Chris, Jill haters are just mad that other characters from the old games arn't around rather than having legitimate reasons to hate the quality of the characters.

I don't think Sheva's AI was that bad.

That's all I can think of for now. Toodles.

well for the barry thing you mentioned i think the reasons people like him is that
1, he is the unintentionally most funny character according to most fans
2, he might a bit more down to earth in a way, he aint no super hero like chris redfield and leon
but more realistic character (as far as realism would ever go in resident evil)

but i kinda agree with most other stuff, i dont have a thing for hunk, i do like both re4 and re6
but in my opinion nothing beats re1-3, (and probably the zero beta by the looks of it)
i think the magic is gone, but the entertainment is very much still alive

Reactions: 013

well for the barry thing you mentioned i think the reasons people like him is that
1, he is the unintentionally most funny character according to most fans
2, he might a bit more down to earth in a way, he aint no super hero like chris redfield and leon
but more realistic character (as far as realism would ever go in resident evil)

but i kinda agree with most other stuff, i dont have a thing for hunk, i do like both re4 and re6
but in my opinion nothing beats re1-3, (and probably the zero beta by the looks of it)
i think the magic is gone, but the entertainment is very much still alive
Yeah, I heard that about Barry before. And I love the old RE games Code Veronica as well, but I like the new numbered titles too except for 5. And even 5 can be okayish depending how I look at it.

blivvy

Master of unlocking...
Premium
I don't get what the big deal is about Rebecca but maybe that's because I haven't played RE Zero.

Capcom have killed off or forgotten about some of the best characters in the series (Wesker, Claire, Barry etc.)

F. Aid spray is op :D

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Chris Redfield is a homosexual, and he is fabulous.
When I was on Steam with a friend we stated on how Chris's costumes always appeals to fangirls and stuff but then I noticed and I quote "When you really think about Chris has alot of Yaoi fans...I don't see why chris"

Re6. Re5. and Revelations kinda smacked me in the face for that

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
Now that I've played Revelations too, it's time for some more un(?)popular opinions!

* I like Raid Mode better than Mercenaries.
* Chris and Jill should have been the ones to figure out O'Brian's plan, but the problem is that neither of them is particularly smart, so Quint and Keith (otherwise the two most unnecessary characters the REverse has ever seen) had to be introduced.
* Not only Quint and Keith, I think all new characters introduced with Revelations (except O'Brian and maybe Raymond) are basically useless or could have been replaced by already existing ones (for example Barry for Parker). Yes, that also includes Jessica unless we hear from her again in future games, which I doubt.
* Call me superficial, but characters with ugly faces usually prevent me from playing as them when I'm given a choice, even though I only see them from behind most of the time.
* I couldn't care less about Hunk and I won't bother to complete all stages on Abyss with an S rank just to unlock him.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I'm not sure if my opinions are unpopular or not, but I'll just put them out there.

RE6 is my least favourite game. I was bitterly disappointed. I could list all of my reasons but my phone battery is dying and I don't want to bore you all. But after playing the campaign twice and playing Mercenaries for a week, I haven't touched RE6 since. Usually I can play RE games over and over again and still not get bored. I still play RE4 and RE5. I also prefer RE5 Mercenaries to RE6.

RE4 is my favourite game of the franchise. People often say that this game was the downfall of the series, but I really disagree. The storyline is great, and in-depth. I also was scared during RE4, particularly during chapters 3 and 4 in the castle. Zombie cult members running around with flails, chanting and laughing evilly is creepy to me. Hearing them do this without being able to see them creates a really tense atmosphere; you don't know if they're gonna jump out at you or sneak up behind you, or if you're worrying about nothing and they're on the floor below you! The more challenging monsters created a tense atmosphere too. The prison monster was especially creepy to me. How they'd stand still and then suddenly rush at you, slashing with their talons made me panic! The non-linear aspect also made the game have more depth.

I actually like both Sheva and Ashley! In my opinion, Ashley enhances RE4, both in a gameplay and a story point of view. In gameplay terms she makes things more challenging, as you have to look out for not only yourself, but someone who has no means of defending themself. In terms of storyline, we finally get to see the perspective of someone who isn't familiar with these sorts of situations, and who can't handle a gun. Essentially, we see how someone who is utterly defenceless copes with these situations. I can't explain why I like Sheva, I just think that she has something really down to earth about her. Instead of being all badass and cocky, you can see that she has morals and cares about the villagers. I guess it's just a breath of fresh air that she doesn't have a know-it-all arrogance about her.

Leon The Pro

I'm not sure if my opinions are unpopular or not, but I'll just put them out there.

RE6 is my least favourite game. I was bitterly disappointed. I could list all of my reasons but my phone battery is dying and I don't want to bore you all. But after playing the campaign twice and playing Mercenaries for a week, I haven't touched RE6 since. Usually I can play RE games over and over again and still not get bored. I still play RE4 and RE5. I also prefer RE5 Mercenaries to RE6.

RE4 is my favourite game of the franchise. People often say that this game was the downfall of the series, but I really disagree. The storyline is great, and in-depth. I also was scared during RE4, particularly during chapters 3 and 4 in the castle. Zombie cult members running around with flails, chanting and laughing evilly is creepy to me. Hearing them do this without being able to see them creates a really tense atmosphere; you don't know if they're gonna jump out at you or sneak up behind you, or if you're worrying about nothing and they're on the floor below you! The more challenging monsters created a tense atmosphere too. The prison monster was especially creepy to me. How they'd stand still and then suddenly rush at you, slashing with their talons made me panic! The non-linear aspect also made the game have more depth.

I actually like both Sheva and Ashley! In my opinion, Ashley enhances RE4, both in a gameplay and a story point of view. In gameplay terms she makes things more challenging, as you have to look out for not only yourself, but someone who has no means of defending themself. In terms of storyline, we finally get to see the perspective of someone who isn't familiar with these sorts of situations, and who can't handle a gun. Essentially, we see how someone who is utterly defenceless copes with these situations. I can't explain why I like Sheva, I just think that she has something really down to earth about her. Instead of being all badass and cocky, you can see that she has morals and cares about the villagers. I guess it's just a breath of fresh air that she doesn't have a know-it-all arrogance about her.

50% agree 50% disagree

You are right! Re4 has that horror like thing... And i agree about the zealots... While laughing, they can also give away their stealth. Though i still hate both Dr Salvador And Super Dr Salvador

Ashley... She can also be bait... And while those Los Illuminados are trying to take her away, you can have the chance to shoot them
As for sheva... I guess it goes to the same answer as your's

Reactions: Jen

Pancham Cutie

The Cute Pancham
Premium
I just thought of 1 more.

7. I think the majority of boss fights in the Resident Evil games are terrible. A lot of the boss fights that I've seen have been some of the worst boss designs I have seen in my entire life. Painfully obvious weakspots (Except for the first 3 games, both the Outbreak games, and a majority of Code Veronica), bland designs, too much health with a too easy fight, makes absolutely no sense, annoying, attacks that are complete b*******, disappointing, or a combination of all the combined mention traits. In my opinion, Resident Evil 5, 6, and Revelations are the worst offenders. The bosses from 5 that I'm referring are Wesker, that gigantic bat creature who's name I can't remember at the moment, Ricardo, and Excella, in 6 I'm referring to Debra, Carla, Simmons, and the Ogremen, and in Revelations it all of them except for Rachael. The worst offender to me at least, is Norman from Revelations as it has every single trait of a terrible boss. Painfully obvious weakspots, check. Too much Health, check. Easy to predict attacks, check. Easy boss in general, check. B******* attacks and even hitboxes, well what do you think.

Top Bottom