• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 7 Umbrella Corps. Reveal Trailer

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Okay, everybody's complaining that it isn't a "real" Resident Evil game... it's not supposed to be. It won't even have "Resident Evil" branded on it apparently. It's just intended to be a little ORC-esque multiplayer game for fun, it's not about the story. Capcom probably just decided that people might have fun playing a random shooter game, and relate it to RE because it's familiar. It's more like the Mercenaries and Versus kind of stuff, not supposed to be in the storyline or too important or anything, just for some random fun playing with other people.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Okay, everybody's complaining that it isn't a "real" Resident Evil game... it's not supposed to be. It won't even have "Resident Evil" branded on it apparently. It's just intended to be a little ORC-esque multiplayer game for fun, it's not about the story. Capcom probably just decided that people might have fun playing a random shooter game, and relate it to RE because it's familiar. It's more like the Mercenaries and Versus kind of stuff, not supposed to be in the storyline or too important or anything, just for some random fun playing with other people.

The problem is.... It does have the "Resident Evil" brand stamped right on it. :/

Biohazrd
Umbrella Corps

hqdefault.jpg

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
The problem is.... It does have the "Resident Evil" brand stamped right on it. :/

Biohazrd
Umbrella Corps

hqdefault.jpg

It won't in the West, I saw somewhere they only put Biohazard on it in Japan because it's even more popular there, so it'd do a bit better. So basically they're admitting it isn't a "real" Resident Evil, but they're lumping it in with Biohazard just because they can.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
It won't in the West, I saw somewhere they only put Biohazard on it in Japan because it's even more popular there, so it'd do a bit better. So basically they're admitting it isn't a "real" Resident Evil, but they're lumping it in with Biohazard just because they can.

I'm glad to hear that. Do you have a link for this? I'd like to read it, I do believe you, so don't think that's why I'm asking ^.^ I just want to read it. Though Resident Evil's fanbase seems to be split nicely amongst regions. It's pretty big in Europe from what I've heard and I think North America has a bigger fan base than Japan.

For example... this may blow your mind regarding Resident Evil 2

"Promoted with a US$5 million advertising campaign, Resident Evil 2 became the fastest-selling video game in North America. On the weekend following its release, it sold 380,000 copies and grossed US$19 million. It therefore surpassed the revenue of all but one Hollywood movie at that time and broke previous sales records set by the video games Final Fantasy VII and Super Mario 64.[83] With 4.96 million copies sold, the PlayStation version of Resident Evil 2 was a commercial success, and is the franchise's best-selling game on a single platform.[84] Another 810,000 copies of the Dual Shock Ver. were shipped by March 1999.[85]"

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I'm glad to hear that. Do you have a link for this? I'd like to read it, I do believe you, so don't think that's why I'm asking ^.^ I just want to read it. Though Resident Evil's fanbase seems to be split nicely amongst regions. It's pretty big in Europe from what I've heard and I think North America has a bigger fan base than Japan.

For example... this may blow your mind regarding Resident Evil 2

"Promoted with a US$5 million advertising campaign, Resident Evil 2 became the fastest-selling video game in North America. On the weekend following its release, it sold 380,000 copies and grossed US$19 million. It therefore surpassed the revenue of all but one Hollywood movie at that time and broke previous sales records set by the video games Final Fantasy VII and Super Mario 64.[83] With 4.96 million copies sold, the PlayStation version of Resident Evil 2 was a commercial success, and is the franchise's best-selling game on a single platform.[84] Another 810,000 copies of the Dual Shock Ver. were shipped by March 1999.[85]"

I don't think this is the one I originally read but it basically says the same thing, except this one says the gamers in Japan seem to care more deeply about the franchise... that sentence makes me angry. I could challenge all of Japan on the series and win. xD
http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/tgs-2015-7-things-you-need-to-know-about-umbrella-corps

Airaku

Stray Jedi
I don't think this is the one I originally read but it basically says the same thing, except this one says the gamers in Japan seem to care more deeply about the franchise... that sentence makes me angry. I could challenge all of Japan on the series and win. xD
http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/tgs-2015-7-things-you-need-to-know-about-umbrella-corps

Thank you so much. To be honest I can understand where he is coming from and Capcom is making the right call on this decision. I wouldn't want it to be tried to the brand name of the series either, doing that with ORC was a huge mistake. I can understand that the Japanese market cares more about the series than the majority of the US or European market who would just buy the game to play it.

We here on the forums are very passionate about Biohazard and would never agree with said statement. The dialog and story is slightly different in Japan and it's damn good! I wished I knew Japanese because I'd be playing their version over ours :p However as far as the majority of gamers that play the series over the past 5-6 years... they don't care. RE5 and RE6 were fun games for them but they didn't bother to get deeply invested into the series. It was just another game to them, a freaking awesome one at that. It is amazing that a lot of gamers only stick with the most updated titles and don't go back to play games they missed. I am unfortunately bad for this as well, unless it's a series I really want to invest in.

This is what happens when you try to widen the market for a game that has a hardcore fanbase. Resident Evil is a immensely popular series and the fans are known to tear Capcom apart when they mess up. They are already getting a new asshole torn since the announcement. If I recall correctly someone actually sent an e-mail to a Capcom developer after RE5 was released and stated that he was going to find his family and kill them because Capcom killed of Albert Wesker. This is a case of fandom gone too far. (I'm pretty sure it was RE5 that did this. I know it was a game and someone was ****ed off about the story. I think was though, Albert's death ****ed off so many fans.)

RedPanda

4x the awesome
Heh heh, *scratches head nervously* I feel like kind of an outlier as far as what type of fan I am. I grew up watching my brother play re2, but the first game I ever actually played was Outbreak, and I played the heck out of re2 and 4, but the first time I ever saw Chris Redfield was re5, and it was like, "lol who's this Jill chick?" (Not really but you know what I mean), but then AFTER playing re5, I got super into all of the lore and ended up going back to play everything (main series that is). I still haven't played 0, but after the hd comes out, I'll have played all of them, and I'm now up to date on all my trivia, so I don't know how I'd be classified.

As far as Umbrella Corps is concerned, I agree that it seems a strange move to make a game that's within the RE universe, admit that it doesn't belong in the RE universe so take away RE from the title, and then claim its part of the RE 20th anniversary. Looks okay I guess, I just hope I can convince myself not to buy it only because it says Biohazard on it. Here's looking at you, ORC

Last edited:

Dr.Slaughter

The kitty sage
Seriously even if its a spin off I hope it has some kind of story. And wow if it is only online multiply, then I won't get it. I have never been a big fan of online and have only gotten xbox live silver to play DLC ****. Honestly it looks kinda generic to me. And if its for the xbox one or ps4 then Im not even going to bother because then I would have to buy a ps4 or xbox one for a game that might turn out to be generic anyway.

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Seriously even if its a spin off I hope it has some kind of story. And wow if it is only online multiply, then I won't get it. I have never been a big fan of online and have only gotten xbox live silver to play DLC ****. Honestly it looks kinda generic to me. And if its for the xbox one or ps4 then Im not even going to bother because then I would have to buy a ps4 or xbox one for a game that might turn out to be generic anyway.

The game is coming out to PS4 and PC. As for consoles it is a PS4 exclusive. Who plays Resident Evil on PC anyways? They run like **** and are inferior. The ports are just tedious and it's really quite sad because Capcom nails the Devil May Cry games on PC.

As for the story... there won't be much of one and it's more focused for online. Ironically there is a piece of information that was given by Capcom. This game takes in modern day and it is post-RE6. Seriously... wtf? That explains the new logo but.... who the hell is doing this? Alex Wesker?

It appears that other factions in the game are private militaries that are trying to get their hands on viruses and research. I'm guessing maybe the Family is involved and the Organisation as well. They won't talk about the premise but they said it's not a side story and it uses background information that we should already know. My interest is growing high now. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/where-does-umbrella-corps-fit-in-the-resident-evil/1100-6430745/

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
The game is coming out to PS4 and PC. As for consoles it is a PS4 exclusive. Who plays Resident Evil on PC anyways? They run like **** and are inferior. The ports are just tedious and it's really quite sad because Capcom nails the Devil May Cry games on PC.

As for the story... there won't be much of one and it's more focused for online. Ironically there is a piece of information that was given by Capcom. This game takes in modern day and it is post-RE6. Seriously... wtf? That explains the new logo but.... who the hell is doing this? Alex Wesker?

It appears that other factions in the game are private militaries that are trying to get their hands on viruses and research. I'm guessing maybe the Family is involved and the Organisation as well. They won't talk about the premise but they said it's not a side story and it uses background information that we should already know. My interest is growing high now. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/where-does-umbrella-corps-fit-in-the-resident-evil/1100-6430745/

So it technically is canon? But it's a competitive online game?

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium

I play Resident Evil on PC, and you're totally wrong about them being inferior and running like 4 stars. In fact, the PC ports have much better graphics and they run very smoothly, you only need a PC good enough to handle them. The only downside is that you sometimes have to wait longer to get stuff; the PC version of RE6 only came out in March 2013, but then again, Capcom made up for the wait by making the game very cheap, including all extra modes that console players had to pay for extra plus a PC-exclusive Mercenaries mode, and giving us a relatively bug-free port after eliminating all the bugs console players had reported. The only ports they ruined were RE4 (the original one; I haven't played the remaster yet) and Revelations 2 (which seems to be $hit on almost all platforms, though, and it did get better with a few patches).

As for the original topic, this Umbrella Corps. thingy... It doesn't even seem to have a single-player story mode, and I don't play multiplayer games, so I'll go without this one.

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Looks kinda fun, if not a bit generic. As a spin-off title, I don't mind it and I suppose I'll give it a shot, but as a Resident Evil game, I'm kinda up-in-arms about it and what this'll mean for future games. Unless another development team @ Capcom was working on this one, it'll mean having put off Resident Evil 7 for a generic COD-esque multiplayer-only spin-off release. I'd much rather have gotten RE7 in late 2015/early 2016 if you ask me (or ask anybody).

Also, according to this article, the game will be a retail release for $30:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3361715/resident-evil-goes-multiplayer-umbrella-corps/

Kinda surprised (not really) that Capcom would invest their limited resources into making yet another spin-off/expansion game that could easily backfire, though TBH. Decisions like this are part of the reason why they're in a financial rut right now, releasing a ton of updates of Street Fighter IV. Even Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 got an updated version in UMVC3 FFS.

Airaku

Stray Jedi

Pretty much. The setting is canon and while it doesn't really have a story it has a theme that has a small plot as to why you are fighting. We'll see more when it comes out I suppose xD

I play Resident Evil on PC, and you're totally wrong about them being inferior and running like 4 stars. In fact, the PC ports have much better graphics and they run very smoothly, you only need a PC good enough to handle them. The only downside is that you sometimes have to wait longer to get stuff; the PC version of RE6 only came out in March 2013, but then again, Capcom made up for the wait by making the game very cheap, including all extra modes that console players had to pay for extra plus a PC-exclusive Mercenaries mode, and giving us a relatively bug-free port after eliminating all the bugs console players had reported. The only ports they ruined were RE4 (the original one; I haven't played the remaster yet) and Revelations 2 (which seems to be $hit on almost all platforms, though, and it did get better with a few patches).

As for the original topic, this Umbrella Corps. thingy... It doesn't even seem to have a single-player story mode, and I don't play multiplayer games, so I'll go without this one.

Hmmm Well I know RE4 was really bad on PC. I tried it and it was forced window screen, looked incomparable to the Game Cube version and the controls were god awful. The same went for RE5 when it launched. I heard that they made huge improvements after launch and it was decent a year later. I did hear from a friend that it's really good now. I don't know why it took Capcom so long to make RE5 good on PC. I haven't played the other RE games on PC so I can't speak for them, but I can tell you that my experience was horrible.

As for my PC it's a high end custom built. Well I guess my GTX 780 TI is outdated now but I don't have problems maxing anything out atm with a single monitor. Just sayian :p

I thought that Revelations 2 ran very well on the PS4. Dare I say the experience was smoother than RE6 was on both Xbox 360 and PS3 (I played and own it on both). I've heard people say bad things about Revelations 2 on the other platforms (I'm positive Xbox One plays fine). I don't get how Capcom ****ed that game up on the other systems. I've seen reviews go from high 9/10's to low 4/10's :/ I'd argue it's one of the best games in the whole series xD

jayshizzo

chill out guys.its gonna be released in 2016.I guess it is. beta version or prototype.if they are going to release the game.it is time to let them know how to make the game more better..how to make it more awesome.

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!
chill out guys.its gonna be released in 2016.I guess it is. beta version or prototype.if they are going to release the game.it is time to let them know how to make the game more better..how to make it more awesome.
At least make the zombies walk around...

Last edited:

jayshizzo

the main reason why the zombies are idle is because of a stupid system invented by capcom called the zombie jammer.if you shoot your opponents jammer it releases the zombies on their team which shouldn't be so.the zombies should be neutral to players and attack anyone in sight basically it should be counter strike PvP with zombies in it.

JujuLodestar

Lurking is my jam.
Meh. looks fine to me. Still more impressive than anything DICE could pull out of their asses.

I personally liked ORC. I find most if not all SP games nowadays pure utter trash so I'm more into Co-op and Comp MP because I find it more entertaining. So I like how this one looks as a spin off. If they polish a few things like the Animations, Melee Combat, TTK, ect I think it'd be a solid spin off.

Either way I like it.

wolf trail

unleash the Evil within you!

Revelations 2 on my laptop really made me think my system is cowsh!t...

Top Bottom