• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 This is actually a really fun game!

black 93

Yeah, Resident Evil 6 is really underrated. The graphics and acting are amazing, and Capcom brought in things people wanted (but then people complain about stupid things). People wanted Sherry back, a good guy related to Wesker, Leon and Ada, zombies... and they got all of it. But now I've seen people complain about what Sherry is like now, people are saying it's stupid they even brought in Jake, that Leon and Ada are overused, and that the zombies are a tiny bit smarter than before and they aren't supposed to be. Capcom is listening to the fans, but people say they aren't just because they want to complain.

Sorry for the mini-rant. xD
I dont know what it is about RE, but it just seems as if people dont want it to evolve at all. People are really getting on my nerves with this whole 'action' thing. Its like their becoming obsessed, if i were capcom id be like "what the hell do you people want?!". The slightest bit of change and people are up in arms, yet if the series stayed in mansions and police stations forever people would complain about that too. Another thing i never understand is people say RE should be just zombies, but in japan this game is called biohazard. As in a biological threat, it dosent need to be just zombies! Infected pigs could be classed as a biological threat lol. I dunno, people just need to chill out, cuz im getting to the point now where im just baffled by the reasons people give for hating this series. Iv heard people say "revelations 2 is still too action packed, RE died at 4!" Dont know about anyone else but id consider RE4 mich more action packed than revelations 2. This fanbase is getting ridiculous, like this whole umbrella corps things, personally im not interested and think capcom are wasting their time, but i know its not going to affect the series as a whole. Personally i think this is just something capcom needs to get out of their system, because there is an audience for thay, but once that RE2 remake hits, capcom are never gunna have to worry about money again lol

Yeah, Resident Evil 6 is really underrated. The graphics and acting are amazing, and Capcom brought in things people wanted (but then people complain about stupid things). People wanted Sherry back, a good guy related to Wesker, Leon and Ada, zombies... and they got all of it. But now I've seen people complain about what Sherry is like now, people are saying it's stupid they even brought in Jake, that Leon and Ada are overused, and that the zombies are a tiny bit smarter than before and they aren't supposed to be. Capcom is listening to the fans, but people say they aren't just because they want to complain.

Sorry for the mini-rant. xD
I understand where you're coming from but people do have legit reasons to complain. Capcoms idea was good.. Leons campaign trying to be more traditional like RE2. Jakes and Sherrys being more like RE3 with huge monster chasing you. And Chris being more like RE5 with action.. It's great everyone should be happy.

However it was poorly made. The game was too linear regardless of which campaign you played. Things like cover system was too clunky. Camera was also clunky at times. And to be honest.. too much over the top action in general. It was no moment to breathe in both Chris and Jakes campaigns. It was the next action scene after the other. And that makes it out of balance.

After finishing all campaigns of RE6 i liked it more than I did after just finishing 1. But all in all I can say that the game is bad even though it had it's moments.

Anguis

I'm playing it for the first time and I'm actually having fun, but at the same time I feel so guilty about it. I know it's ridiculous but I feel I'd loose all credibility if I mentioned in one of my videos that I enjoy Resi 6 lol I mean, it's not a good Resident Evil, but it's a fun tps.

Anguis

Chris' campaign is ok. Not horrible, but not as good as any of the REs that's for sure. You can run through almost every enemy and Chris is kind of unlikable during the whole thing :/ But it's fun.

Unknown

Chris' campaign is hands down the best one. Best story, emotional beats, least QTE's, spectacular final boss (the glistening of the water is amazing). And his vehicle sections are by far the best; driving and FLYING A JET! His story simply has the best pacing. The first chapter is quite terrible, but it's uphill from there. And Smith's voice acting was superb.

For Leon, I laugh at all those early reviews where they describe his campaign as "classic survival horror"... To be honest, since RE6 is an action shooter, Leon's campaign suffers because the new gameplay isn't really needed, his campaign is poorly designed as a result. I still like it somewhat, but overall it's a boring story with awful bosses and Leon is wooden as hell.

Jake's is better than Leon's, though still a mixed bag with plenty of awful design choices and QTE's. It started well, but degraded. However, the new gameplay systems were still more useful for this campaign and Sherry's return was handled quite well, especially her interactions with Chris, not to mention his and Jake's.

Ada's is the worst thing I have ever experienced in a game. Just....atrocious.

black 93

Chris' campaign is hands down the best one. Best story, emotional beats, least QTE's, spectacular final boss (the glistening of the water is amazing). And his vehicle sections are by far the best; driving and FLYING A JET! His story simply has the best pacing. The first chapter is quite terrible, but it's uphill from there. And Smith's voice acting was superb.

For Leon, I laugh at all those early reviews where they describe his campaign as "classic survival horror"... To be honest, since RE6 is an action shooter, Leon's campaign suffers because the new gameplay isn't really needed, his campaign is poorly designed as a result. I still like it somewhat, but overall it's a boring story with awful bosses and Leon is wooden as hell.

Jake's is better than Leon's, though still a mixed bag with plenty of awful design choices and QTE's. It started well, but degraded. However, the new gameplay systems were still more useful for this campaign and Sherry's return was handled quite well, especially her interactions with Chris, not to mention his and Jake's.

Ada's is the worst thing I have ever experienced in a game. Just....atrocious.
Glad im not the only who think Chris' campaign was the best. Leons was fun but it went from forced horror to all out action anyways. Chris' was the only one that didnt change it's playstyle constantly and had the best story to me. Chris' PTSD, Piers death. I enjoy the game more nowadays, but back in 2012 i had to force myself through Leon and Jakes, always enjoyed Chris' the most.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium

I couldn't agree more on this. They did put a lot of effort into Leon's campaign, but it didn't really turn out the way it was supposed to be, many of the "horror" elements feel forced and unnecessary, and so does Leon. It's like Capcom just desperately needed him to be in the game to please the fans, however there could have been any other character in his place and it wouldn't have made a difference, or Helena could have done it all alone because it's entirely her story anyway. I also don't like this campaign as much as some of the others for various reasons.

As for Chris... well. Too many coincidences and quite a few plot holes. That's what makes his story bad and unrealistic to me, but it can still be fun to play, especially my favourite chapter of his, the second. Oh, and I appreciate the vehicle sequences too.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I've seen a lot of people mention plot holes in Chris' campaign over the years, but no-one ever really says what they are. I don't suppose you would mind detailing a few of the for me, would you? Bear in mind, this is in no way an indictment of you or your post! I'm just genuinely curious, because I haven't personally found anything canon breaking in his campaign, though I have looked.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
It's not just plot holes, but the entire way the story is written. Here are some of my thoughts:

The campaign begins with the BSAA picking up an amnesia-ridden drunk from a bar and sending him to war, after looking for him for six months as if the whole organisation could not afford any other captains to do the job. Looking at the dates of the bar encounter and the beginning of the playable part, you'll notice that there's only one day in between, which they probably needed to get to China, so they didn't even bother to let him train - Piers even comments on how he assumed Chris would be rather rusty. Well, honey, if you assumed that, maybe you should have been a little more considerate with this man who may look like your captain, but isn't really him at the moment.

So Chris, who still doesn't remember anything, then embarks on a journey that is determined by convenient coincidences: The hostages are free, the mission is technically over, but then Chris coincidentally gets his memory back and decides for his team to go after Ada/Carla. When they have her cornered, they coincidentally learn that there's an aircraft carrier preparing to launch dangerous virus missiles, so they set out to prevent that from happening. Just after achieving that as well, they coincidentally get a call from Leon who informs them that the personified key to saving the world and his partner have been kidnapped and need two knights in shining BSAA armour to come and free them.

I mean, really... Is it just me or were the developers pulling that out of their a$$es because they always had a few more chapters left to fill before the campaign could officially end? Compare this story to Leon's, for example: That one has a common thread running through the whole campaign, and whether you like said campaign or not, at least its narrative kind of makes sense from beginning to end.

Which leads to yet another thing that bothers me about Chris's part - the ending. Just look at that ridiculous character development: At the beginning Chris is severely pi$$ed off because, well, I've never had amnesia, but maybe that's what it does to you. Then he remembers he lost all his men and is even more pi$$ed off. Understandable. At the end he loses all his men again, yet he's suddenly happy and optimistic about it... wait, what? Did he try to smoke the BSAA badge Piers gave him as a farewell gift and get high from the C-virus-infected blood or something? And by the way, didn't we already have a very similar arc in RE5, which basically went from "I wonder if it's all worth fighting for" to "Yes, as long as Jill gets out of that ugly battlesuit eventually, it is"? Will every future game featuring Chris be like that from now on?

Then there's the flashback episode, which is my favourite from this campaign, but doesn't abide by flawless logic either. The obvious elephant in the room is that Chris does not know who Ada Wong is when Carla introduces herself as Ada, despite the Kennedy Report mentioned in RE5, and Ada pretending to be a BSAA agent in Damnation, which is set roughly a year before RE6 and probably didn't go completely unnoticed by the real BSAA. This was already discussed before and I argued that maybe Chris really didn't know Ada's name because Leon deliberately left it out of his report to protect his "girlfriend". But when I think about it, Ada tells her name (which is probably a fake identity, but that doesn't matter) to everyone she meets, and considering how often she gets mixed up in bioterror operations, I consider it highly unlikely that nobody on Chris's team, including the guys from HQ they're talking to via radio, has ever heard of her before.

Long story short: Chris's story is still decent for a videogame, but if I had handed a manuscript like that to my storytelling professor, he would have pummelled me with it.

Gar Bageman

The Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll
I definitely agree with quite a lot of what you've said here. There are absolutely a lot of silly coincidences and weak tropes at play throughout Chris' campaign. I guess I was just able to reconcile them with the way the other three campaigns played out. I think that where we have our real disconnect here is the way we think of certain story-telling terms (namely, in this case, plot holes). I always understood a plot hole to be something totally canon breaking, before and after taking writing classes. And while I thought (and still think) a lot of Chris' campaign was stupid and outlandish, I never really viewed it as canon breaking. Just weak or sub par. Of course, with RE being mostly stupid sci-fi/horror from word one, suspension of disbelief becomes almost essential for me to get any real enjoyment out of it. I guess I just give RE a lot of passes for it's often daft story that I probably shouldn't. Likely solely because it's a video game.

The biggest thing I am with you on is Chris' ending being really off. I didn't think his arc was leading to a happy ending for one second while playing his campaign. The way I interpreted his whole thing was that it was leading to one conclusion (that I thought seemed obvious); Chris attaining redemption for the deaths of two whole squads of men through self sacrifice. Almost every beat of his story seems to be pointing toward him meeting his end and passing the torch to the next generation, then, out of nowhere, Piers is the one to take one for the team. It should have been Chris.

Reactions: Hel

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I think we might have to dig even deeper into this and decide what exactly "canon" means as well. To me, canon is simply what really happens, non-canon is what doesn't really happen. So basically the entire game is canon, because it's supposed to be this way, whereas a "What if" scenario like Operation Raccoon City is not. What I define as a plot hole is something that contradicts previously established facts with no logical explanation, but I also use the term rather loosely to describe things that just don't make sense, like no one at the BSAA ever having heard of Ada, Chris's poorly written character development in this game, or even the supposition that Chris, Jill, Barry and Rebecca all survived the Mansion Incident even though no version of RE1 ever gives us an ending showing that. The latter is literally a hole in the plot, something that's supposed to be there, but isn't, like an Error 404: Story element not found.

But all in all, no matter how each one of us defines one term or the other, it seems like we agree that Chris's campaign isn't exactly the brightest moment in the history of RE plots, and it always makes me wrinkle my forehead when someone says otherwise. It can be fun and entertaining, emotional and all that, yeah, but it's not... good. The ending you described would have redeemed the campaign a little, and had I not been spoiled before I played the game myself, this is what I would have expected too. I love Chris and don't want him to die, but with Piers suddenly taking his place and Chris continuing to live his absoutely miserable, cheerless life, but suddenly being more optimistic about it for no logical reason, that's not even a decent plot twist. Just bad writing out of fear that some crazy fan might drop a bomb at Capcom for killing one of RE's beloved main characters.

Last edited:

Unknown

Chris dying would have been terribly cliched, i'm glad that didn't happen, it would've cheapened the entire thing. I found it much more fitting and surprising that Piers didn't make it, and that Chris intended for him to take his place only for reality to have other ideas.

It also reminded me of Predator, with him being the sole survivor, which was neat.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Moving away from the campaign mode discussion for a moment, I remembered that this game is going to come out with Onslaught mode already included. I really like this mode!
I can't wait to play it again.

For those who don't know what it is:
Here's a vid I made ages ago.

Last edited:
Yea all the DLC will be included. I'm most excited about that because the online community on RE6 is pretty dead at the moment, you can find sessions but not a whole lot.

JHJ

"Doth Mother Know You Weareth Her Drapes?"
I like RE6. For the most part, it's a good game. I enjoyed Leon's campaign a lot (but then again, I'm a Leon fanboy), and I enjoyed Chris's as well, even if it was a bit of a downer at times. But...as much as I enjoyed seeing Sherry back in the series (I'd always wondered what happened to her after RE2), her and Jake's campaign bored the hell out of me. So much so, it's the only campaign I didn't bother finishing. I've got no problems with Jake, he's actually a pretty decent character imo, I just think he and Sherry were wasted on a sub par campaign. They deserve better. Maybe Capcom should give them their own spin-off game. Anyone else agree?

Top Bottom