• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 6 This is actually a really fun game!

black 93

This thread is a bit out of the blue but Im playing through this game for the first time in nearly 2 years and im thinking that maybe people ( including me) have misjudged it. I always thought of RE6 as a solid game, but not a highlight. While its never going to be my favourite, i have to say im having a blast! Chris actually has some personality in this game, its somewhat emotional seeing what chris has become after all these years. Im playing through his first chapter right now and im loving jumping across the rooftops beating the hell out of j'avos, gunna hit up leons campaign after this cause i remember that being fun too, but yea im having a lot more fun with this game now its been out a while and the initial dissapointments gone.

leon_hellppp

I certainly don't think it's as bad as most people make it out to be. I think the real problem is that it's the first main entry in the Resident Evil series to lack polish. Whenever I play 6, I get the impression that it's a bit rushed. No other main entry has given me this feeling.

black 93

I certainly don't think it's as bad as most people make it out to be. I think the real problem is that it's the first main entry in the Resident Evil series to lack polish. Whenever I play 6, I get the impression that it's a bit rushed. No other main entry has given me this feeling.
yea, i think capcom put more effort into leons and chris' campaigns, i know chris' is just a run of the mill shooter, but its my favourite in terms of story. Jakes campaign just seemed all over the place with the constant QTE's, vehicle sections and just how most of his campaign was revisting parts from chris'. I think capcom just put it in there so people would be like omg we can play as weskers son. Adas was ok, but felt more like an add on than a campaign.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I'd say Leon's is the only campaign they really put effort into, in many different ways. Have any of you ever tried modding this game? The file containing the texture of Helena's fingernails is bigger than that of Piers's entire pants...

Anyway, I know what both of you mean. RE6 gets a lot more hate than it deserves. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was fun - something I can't say about Code Veronica or Revelations 1, but that's just my opinion...

black 93

I dont know why people complain about the newer RE's, i think its good that the series has variety. Can you imagine how people would have reacted if RE4 never happened and the series would have carried on with the fixed cameras and tank controls? Some people were saying from day 1 that the games felt dated. Plus ever since RE2 the series had been leaning more on action, RE3 had its fair share of explosions, all the newer ones did was make it third person. Sure RE5 and 6 took it to another level, but iv said to many people before, RE5 came out in 2009. That was the year that the most anticipated games were the likes of Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2, capcom only did what any company would do and go where the money was. I dont blame capcom at all, they havent abandoned the series and they've still made quality games, its just the way ay the game market is now.

leon_hellppp

yea, i think capcom put more effort into leons and chris' campaigns, i know chris' is just a run of the mill shooter, but its my favourite in terms of story. Jakes campaign just seemed all over the place with the constant QTE's, vehicle sections and just how most of his campaign was revisting parts from chris'. I think capcom just put it in there so people would be like omg we can play as weskers son. Adas was ok, but felt more like an add on than a campaign.
I enjoyed Leon's campaign most of all, because I felt that it best captured the atmosphere of earlier Resident Evil games. It's a real shame that Jake's campaign wasn't better, because I think Jake Muller is funny, interesting, and cool – possibly the game's stand-out character. I get the impression that you might not like Jake? And yes, I would agree that Ada's campaign felt like an add-on. It wasn't as fleshed out as the others.

I'd say Leon's is the only campaign they really put effort into, in many different ways. Have any of you ever tried modding this game? The file containing the texture of Helena's fingernails is bigger than that of Piers's entire pants...

Anyway, I know what both of you mean. RE6 gets a lot more hate than it deserves. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was fun - something I can't say about Code Veronica or Revelations 1, but that's just my opinion...
Hahaha, that thing about the fingernails is hilarious! I had no idea.

I think people saw 6 as the perfect opportunity to vent their frustrations about the increasing focus on action, but in doing so, I think people went too far and criticised the game too harshly. I also understand that a lot of initial complaints about the camera and whatever were later addressed through patches, but I didn't play the game at launch. One thing I do like about 6 is how much you can customise it. Spend ten minutes toying around with the settings, and you end up with a completely different experience. I wonder how many people still don't realise that you can aim via laser sight?

I dont know why people complain about the newer RE's, i think its good that the series has variety. Can you imagine how people would have reacted if RE4 never happened and the series would have carried on with the fixed cameras and tank controls? Some people were saying from day 1 that the games felt dated. Plus ever since RE2 the series had been leaning more on action, RE3 had its fair share of explosions, all the newer ones did was make it third person. Sure RE5 and 6 took it to another level, but iv said to many people before, RE5 came out in 2009. That was the year that the most anticipated games were the likes of Modern Warfare 2 and Uncharted 2, capcom only did what any company would do and go where the money was. I dont blame capcom at all, they havent abandoned the series and they've still made quality games, its just the way ay the game market is now.
I believe that the classic style hit something of a dead end. Although I absolutely love the older games, I don't think they offered much room for development, outside of small details like prettier backgrounds etc. It's one of those situations where there's no right answer – people would have complained if Resident Evil never evolved beyond the classic style of gameplay, and people were always going to complain as soon as the developers attempted something new. People just like to complain.

black 93

I enjoyed Leon's campaign most of all, because I felt that it best captured the atmosphere of earlier Resident Evil games. It's a real shame that Jake's campaign wasn't better, because I think Jake Muller is funny, interesting, and cool – possibly the game's stand-out character. I get the impression that you might not like Jake? And yes, I would agree that Ada's campaign felt like an add-on. It wasn't as fleshed out as the others.

Hahaha, that thing about the fingernails is hilarious! I had no idea.

I think people saw 6 as the perfect opportunity to vent their frustrations about the increasing focus on action, but in doing so, I think people went too far and criticised the game too harshly. I also understand that a lot of initial complaints about the camera and whatever were later addressed through patches, but I didn't play the game at launch. One thing I do like about 6 is how much you can customise it. Spend ten minutes toying around with the settings, and you end up with a completely different experience. I wonder how many people still don't realise that you can aim via laser sight?

I believe that the classic style hit something of a dead end. Although I absolutely love the older games, I don't think they offered much room for development, outside of small details like prettier backgrounds etc. It's one of those situations where there's no right answer – people would have complained if Resident Evil never evolved beyond the classic style of gameplay, and people were always going to complain as soon as the developers attempted something new. People just like to complain.
Yup people will complain about something no matter what, and no i dont dislike jake, i like his attitude and he brought some humour to the series. I just wish capcom had made his campaign better is all.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
I stand by my original thoughts on this gsme from the start.

The game is fun to play, especially co op (Jakes campaign co op in particular)

However it's let down by its story elements.
I really disliked leons chapter 1 for the one reason that most of the chapter restricts your movements to make you have to see things the game wants to "scare " you with.
Which is pretty weak...

leon_hellppp

I stand by my original thoughts on this gsme from the start.

The game is fun to play, especially co op (Jakes campaign co op in particular)

However it's let down by its story elements.
I really disliked leons chapter 1 for the one reason that most of the chapter restricts your movements to make you have to see things the game wants to "scare " you with.
Which is pretty weak...
Yeah, the scares in 6 aren't great...but to be fair, I don't think the scares in any Resident Evil since 4 have been all that good. The first time you bump into a Regenerador in 4 is probably the most scared I've ever been while playing a Resident Evil game. That music...

Unrelated, but do I know you from somewhere? I swear you used to post on the Mario Kart Wii forums – or at least, I'm sure someone there had the same username.

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Yeah, the scares in 6 aren't great...but to be fair, I don't think the scares in any Resident Evil since 4 have been all that good. The first time you bump into a Regenerador in 4 is probably the most scared I've ever been while playing a Resident Evil game. That music...

Unrelated, but do I know you from somewhere? I swear you used to post on the Mario Kart Wii forums – or at least, I'm sure someone there had the same username.
Yeah i had been on that forum a long time ago.
Hope I made a good impression on them before :p

Spikeyroxas

Pencil Artist
Premium
Hahaha, how funny. I used to post there under the username "Nintendo and Coffee". It was a fun place to hang out, but looking back at my posts makes me cringe now that I'm older.

Wow, small world hahah. Yeah i do too at my old posts, I think i deleted my account becsuse I was just embarrassed at it :p
Cool to see someone who was familiar again.

Back to the subject before we get called out for derailing it.

It's not that it isn't scary, but they tried too hard to make it by forcing you to look in certain places for a cheap jumpscare like in the tall oaks dining area for example.
If you had free movement and happened to catch something out of the corner of your eye that works much better imo

leon_hellppp

Wow, small world hahah. Yeah i do too at my old posts, I think i deleted my account becsuse I was just embarrassed at it :p
Cool to see someone who was familiar again.

Back to the subject before we get called out for derailing it.
Oh yes, sorry everyone. I'll shoot you a PM.

It's not that it isn't scary, but they tried too hard to make it by forcing you to look in certain places for a cheap jumpscare like in the tall oaks dining area for example.
If you had free movement and happened to catch something out of the corner of your eye that works much better imo
I think I see what you mean. I think that, by forcing you to look at something, the game inadvertently gives you a feeling of security. It's like your hand is being held through the experience. Unfortunately, this seems to be a staple of modern game design.

Dr.Slaughter

The kitty sage
I know this is old but it wouldnt hurt to add in my opinion. To me I actually liked RE 6 alot. the gameplay was fun, it was fun to counter enemies, and to me the story was different but surely twisted and it showed how insane Simmons and Carla were. People who complain alot about it are hardcore nostalgia butthurt fanboys. The type of people that compare RE 6 to call of duty which to me doesnt make sense how they could even say that. I mean I know they are usually referring to the Chris campaign when they does this however that campaign...... the enemies are Javo(not generic soldiers) there is actually a story to go along( from what I have seen COD does not) and finally you can sprint and you are not limited to only 5 seconds of sprinting. Now obviously RE 6 does have its flaws.... for example...... to many QE events, awkward camera angles in some parts of the game, and Jakes campaign feels kind of random and he doesnt really have a villain thats messing with him ( Chris and Piers are taunted by "Ada", Leon and Helena have to deal with Simmons, and Ada has to deal with Carla and Simmons) while Jake and Sherry have to deal with Ustnak ( and ya I know I spelled that wrong). and that was my 2 cents on the matter

Leons campaign was the only one that was decent. But that being said it felt like a pretty 'meh' Revelations game. Revelations 1 and 2 was still way better and more interseting than Leons campaign. I am really trying to get through Chris at the moment but it just sucks so bad :'(

Bilbo

I just replayed through jakes scenario after not having played it for a few years. Man, the vehicle sections really are complete garbage. They're not fun to play, the controls feel wonky, and they go on for too long. The motorcycle section in particular is what I'm referring to. Other than that the few other complaints I have are the tank and chopper sections. They're just so frustrating to play and rather uninspiring. Also another pain in the ass mechanic in this game is getting knocked down by enemy fire. It's just annoying and makes you want to throw the controller. Aside from everything I just said, I really enjoyed every other part of his campaign this time around. Sneaking through the caves avoiding ustanak, the first encounter with him in the warehouse, exploring the Chinese mansion, the whole 5th chapter were all great moments IMO. The last battle with ustanak is awesome and in a great setting.

I'm gonna play them all again, I'll prob do Leona next.

Also, I've said it before in another post but I'll say it again. The cinematics in this game make it worth it to me. The writing and acting is SO much better than any other Re game and most other video games imo. Even though the story is a bit all over the place, capcom did an amazing job with this part of RE6. It really is where the game shines.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
Yeah, Resident Evil 6 is really underrated. The graphics and acting are amazing, and Capcom brought in things people wanted (but then people complain about stupid things). People wanted Sherry back, a good guy related to Wesker, Leon and Ada, zombies... and they got all of it. But now I've seen people complain about what Sherry is like now, people are saying it's stupid they even brought in Jake, that Leon and Ada are overused, and that the zombies are a tiny bit smarter than before and they aren't supposed to be. Capcom is listening to the fans, but people say they aren't just because they want to complain.

Sorry for the mini-rant. xD

Top Bottom