• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Cartoon Thread

Turo602

The King of Kings
So I've been feeling really nostalgic about cartoons lately and figured we should have ourselves a little corner to talk about the cartoons/anime we grew up with or are currently watching. You can even just flat out spill your guts about your favorites and even share obscure stuff like cartoon intros and cartoons you haven't thought about in so long.

I love cartoons, but it's something I haven't really watched like I used to in over a decade, and it's not for lack of trying either, but it's something I just feel isn't as good as it used to be anymore. With that said, my absolute favorite cartoons are by far Batman: The Animated Series, X-Men, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003). These cartoons were just lightning in a bottle, the product of a perfect storm. It was the right people at the right time and they honestly couldn't exist any other way.

While cartoons like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry are timeless entertainment with universal appeal, I feel like the more action-oriented cartoons that attempted to take themselves a little more seriously were always kind of cheesy, even in the 80s where there was a bit of a cartoon renaissance going on with shows such as He-Man, Thundercats, G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that pretty much only existed to sell toys.

But it wasn't until the early 90s where things started to get real good and it was in large part due to Batman: The Animated Series, which took a different approach to a cartoon series. It focused more on the quality and content of the show rather than being a giant commercial for a toy line, which is something all three of these shows have in common and is the reason they still hold up so well in 2020.

After Batman's dark reinvention in the 80s with stories like The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, and even Tim Burton's 1989 Batman film, it was the perfect time to capitalize on the franchise with an animated series and what we got, to put it simply, can only be described as a classic. Not only did the show push the boundaries of what children's syndicated television could get away with by incorporating adult themes, a lot of its stories were also very mature and never devolved into a formula. Its visual style, which isn't too dissimilar from the classic 1940s Fleischer Superman cartoons, along with its film noir and gothic undertones, gave an otherworldly timeless look to the series, which in retrospect, was a great decision as the show still looks as stellar as ever. The impact this show has had on its source material and other works is second to none, and for many, this series has come to define Batman.

X-Men on the other hand is what you get when you bring the pages of the comic books to life in animation. Even by today's standards, this show looks incredible despite its aged slower paced animation. There's so much detail crammed into each frame that you can pause the show at any moment and just appreciate the art like you would a well drawn comic book panel. Cartoons just don't look like this anymore and it's honestly such a shame. But what really made X-Men stand out, was its long form storytelling, which was different from the episodic format of Batman, with each episode starting with a recap of the necessary plot points needed in order to follow the complex ongoing story arcs adapted straight from the comics. This is as comic accurate as anything will ever get.

While the original 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon catapulted the franchise into the mainstream and was just as brand defining as the comic books that started it all, it was the popularity of shows like Batman and X-Men that ultimately led to the decline of the phenomenon as the series began to show its age throughout the 90s. The 2003 series on the other hand took a much darker approach, sticking closer to the original comics while also incorporating the fun loving pizza eating aspect of the original cartoon, and focused more on storytelling and action, but was unfortunately a bit of a sleeper hit. But despite its lack in popularity, the series continued on out of pure passion, with its creators taking note of shows like Batman and X-Men, by sticking to a long form story structure and pushing the boundaries of what can be done on children's programming, and still managed to outlast the impressive 109 episode run of the acclaimed Batman: The Animated Series.

As someone who didn't grow up with comic books, cartoons were the only exposure I had to comic book characters and stories and is what ultimately made me a fan of the genre today. But with the way cartoons have progressed in recent times, where shows aren't even allowed decent runs before they're cancelled, corners are constantly cut in animation, and are just generally so dull and lifeless, I just don't see it getting better than these 3 shows.

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Now THIS is a thread I can get behind! I'm a cartoon junkie, even here into my mid 20's. Whether it be anime, or western cartoons, I watch all the time. And having a 6 year old makes it even better, because I can show her cartoons from my childhood and see how she responds to them.

If I were to have you guess my favorite cartoon of all time...I'm sure you would all know the answer....Dragon Ba--*Buzzer Sound* Wrong answer. That's actually my 2nd favorite. It may be the most impactful on my childhood, but my FAVORITE cartoon, without a doubt, is Duck Tales. It just has EVERYTHING you want as a youth in your cartoon. Scrooge McDuck is my favorite Disney character. That intro is the catchiest theme song of all time. The bright colors are a visual spectacle. The adventures are a blast. And the animation still holds up today, even as an 80's show. This was the first time Disney ever really put a big budget into a cartoon, and boy did it pay off, paving the way for other incredible Disney Afternoon shows like Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers, Tail Spin, Goof Troop, and Darkwing Duck. All shows I love as well, but Duck Tales has stuck with me the most. Hell, in 2017 Duck Tales got a reboot...And let me tell you, as the cynical, cold hearted, broken man who would give a chemistry test to students on the last day of school, believe you me that I was skeptical. Already thoughts of "Ruining My Childhood" fluttered about in my noggin. I mean...Look at Ghostbusters 2016? I didn't even wanna type that out because it means ACKNOWLEDGING it as a Ghostbusters film. But...They announced David Tennant as Scrooge. Now I'm no Doctor Who fan. At ALL. But I was curious. I loved him in Jessica Jones, and he's got the acting chops. Seeing such an iconic actor in nerd culture as the voice of my favorite Disney Character? Ok...fine. I'll watch the first episode. Then they dropped the theme song...And, in my opinion, while not as GOOD as the original, it was faithful, happy, upbeat, and something that will attract young kids, as well as old fans like me! Could this...REALLY be a reboot I could get behind? And dear God it was. After the first episode I was hooked. The animation is great (Not as charming as the hand drawn animation of the 80's, but hey, I have to accept computer work in cartoons is the norm now), the show actually has an overarching story, which is fresh and new, they ACTUALLY give Huey, Dewey and Louie distinct personalities from one another, and they mold the modern story telling with what people love about the classic show perfectly. It's a reboot worthy of the name Duck Tales, even if at the end of the day I'll still default back to the original.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) - I won't say too much about this because in all reality, @Turo602 is totally right. Turtles '03 is better. Better animation. Better story telling. Better writing. More action and violence. It's an over all objectively better product. And I love it. I'll watch it ANY chance I get, and if I were going to introduce somebody to the Turtles...This is the second way I'd do it. (The live action movie from 91 comes first, but whatever lol) But...I still love this cartoon more. I had this before I had Turtles '03. And so It holds the special place in my heart. Turo said it was made essentially to sell toys...And he's totally right. That's HOW I got into it. At my grandparents house in the very early 2000's, we found a stash of my youngest uncle's old TMNT toys in the basement. Me and my brother went nuts. My uncle had just died, so it was the first time they'd been touched in God knows how long. And I needed to see whatever version of the Turtles these represented. Up until that point, I'd just had the two live action movies...Yes...the TWO live action movies. That's all there is. Two. Anyway...My dad took me and my little brother to the video store, and we rented a bunch of old Turtles 87 VHS tapes, and I fell in love. Again, Turtles '03 is a far superior product...But...IDK if I'd be able to appreciate it as much if I hadn't gotten so hooked on Turtles '87

Spider-Man the Animated Series - A sequel/spin off to the X-Men series Turo is talking about, and nearly everything he's applied to X-Men can be said for Spider-Man as well. I will say, it doesn't hit the adult themes as MUCH as X-Men did, but in a way the reflects the comics as well. The X-Men were always more political and socially aware than Spider-Man, so it makes sense the cartoons would follow. That doesn't mean it didn't have its moments though. This may have been the very first cartoon I ever saw where the main character loses his love interest...and she doesn't come back. Seriously, they spend 2-3 seasons building up this relationship between Peter and MJ, only for her to be lost in another dimension...and Never rescued. A season and a half (If I remember right) goes by without her. And it plagues Peter. The VERY last episode implies Pete is gonna go try and save her...But we never actually know. Other than that, one thing it does better than X-Men, is Spider-Man's Rogues gallery. I think we can all agree Spidey's villains are a bit more iconic and numerous than his mutant counterparts, and this show gets them down pat. Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Morbius, Spot, Hydro-Man, Kingpin, Shocker, and the list goes on. They're all so well done. And like X-Men, this show, while episodic in a sense, was still serialized. Events from one episode have long lasting effects that affect other episodes. Even if your villain changes, there's a progression and a narrative that very few children's cartoons were doing at the time.

Anyway, these are all I'll gush about for now...But trust me..There's definitely others. I haven't even talked about anime, or anything outside of the late 80's through the 90's. And despite what my nostalgia goggles try and tell me, there WERE good cartoons in the 2000's, and even some recent ones I'd say are worth a watch.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yes - as individuals who grew up around the same time, it makes sense we'd all pine for the nostalgia of classic cartoons.

Of course, we all grew up in an interesting era where properties from the 60's, 70's and 80's were all still very much alive (mostly Hannah Barbera and Looney Tunes items), but new adaptations of great comic book story lines were occurring. I can remember going to my Grandma's house and watching endless hours of Scooby Doo (all series) while I had the flu or even a cold. My biggest cartoon interests at the time were TMNT and Ghostbusters and I had VHS copies of a bunch of the episodes from the shows and the movies. I hate the idea of watching the same thing over and over now, but all kids love the have that familiar item they can identify with. Multiple Halloweens had me dressed in TMNT gear and every Christmas, I had action figures from all of my favorite series.

Saturday Mornings were amazing when we were kids. It is something that is gone now since most TV for future generations will be consumed via streaming services, but it feels good to be one of the last generations where we collectively watched the same shows at the same times and had the same commercials. An interesting time to be alive for sure!

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Yes - as individuals who grew up around the same time, it makes sense we'd all pine for the nostalgia of classic cartoons.

Of course, we all grew up in an interesting era where properties from the 60's, 70's and 80's were all still very much alive (mostly Hannah Barbera and Looney Tunes items), but new adaptations of great comic book story lines were occurring. I can remember going to my Grandma's house and watching endless hours of Scooby Doo (all series) while I had the flu or even a cold. My biggest cartoon interests at the time were TMNT and Ghostbusters and I had VHS copies of a bunch of the episodes from the shows and the movies. I hate the idea of watching the same thing over and over now, but all kids love the have that familiar item they can identify with. Multiple Halloweens had me dressed in TMNT gear and every Christmas, I had action figures from all of my favorite series.

Saturday Mornings were amazing when we were kids. It is something that is gone now since most TV for future generations will be consumed via streaming services, but it feels good to be one of the last generations where we collectively watched the same shows at the same times and had the same commercials. An interesting time to be alive for sure!
The Real Ghostbusters... That shows another one that still holds up

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
They don’t make cartoons like they used to anymore, I feel bad for kids today because of this.

I was a big fan of My Little Pony growing up and obsessed over the 80s and 90s shows. I tried to watch a couple of the newer shows and they just don’t compare. My biggest gripe is the new design ponies. They just looked cooler in the 80s and 90s.

I was also a big Scooby Doo fan when I was really young. But I was mostly a Nickelodeon fan, being a 90s kid and all. I loved The Wild Thornberrys, As Told by Ginger, and Hey Arnold.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
They don’t make cartoons like they used to anymore, I feel bad for kids today because of this.

I was a big fan of My Little Pony growing up and obsessed over the 80s and 90s shows. I tried to watch a couple of the newer shows and they just don’t compare. My biggest gripe is the new design ponies. They just looked cooler in the 80s and 90s.

I was also a big Scooby Doo fan when I was really young. But I was mostly a Nickelodeon fan, being a 90s kid and all. I loved The Wild Thornberrys, As Told by Ginger, and Hey Arnold.
Character design is such bogus now. Like, is it just me, or do you need zero artistic talent to make a good kids show nowadays? I could draw better characters in 5th grade, and I'm just an average artist at best.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987) - I won't say too much about this because in all reality, @Turo602 is totally right. Turtles '03 is better. Better animation. Better story telling. Better writing. More action and violence. It's an over all objectively better product. And I love it. I'll watch it ANY chance I get, and if I were going to introduce somebody to the Turtles...This is the second way I'd do it. (The live action movie from 91 comes first, but whatever lol) But...I still love this cartoon more. I had this before I had Turtles '03. And so It holds the special place in my heart. Turo said it was made essentially to sell toys...And he's totally right. That's HOW I got into it. At my grandparents house in the very early 2000's, we found a stash of my youngest uncle's old TMNT toys in the basement. Me and my brother went nuts. My uncle had just died, so it was the first time they'd been touched in God knows how long. And I needed to see whatever version of the Turtles these represented. Up until that point, I'd just had the two live action movies...Yes...the TWO live action movies. That's all there is. Two. Anyway...My dad took me and my little brother to the video store, and we rented a bunch of old Turtles 87 VHS tapes, and I fell in love. Again, Turtles '03 is a far superior product...But...IDK if I'd be able to appreciate it as much if I hadn't gotten so hooked on Turtles '87

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the 87 Ninja Turtles as well. My brothers grew up with it and I caught the tail end of the phenomenon myself through my brother's VHS tape with both Bye, Bye Fly and Shredderville on it. I also broke quite a few of their toys and played the video games too. It's definitely very nostalgic for me, but looking back, it was very much quantity over quality, but it was a very fun show nonetheless. Not to mention, that intro still kicks ass.

Spider-Man the Animated Series - A sequel/spin off to the X-Men series Turo is talking about, and nearly everything he's applied to X-Men can be said for Spider-Man as well. I will say, it doesn't hit the adult themes as MUCH as X-Men did, but in a way the reflects the comics as well. The X-Men were always more political and socially aware than Spider-Man, so it makes sense the cartoons would follow. That doesn't mean it didn't have its moments though. This may have been the very first cartoon I ever saw where the main character loses his love interest...and she doesn't come back. Seriously, they spend 2-3 seasons building up this relationship between Peter and MJ, only for her to be lost in another dimension...and Never rescued. A season and a half (If I remember right) goes by without her. And it plagues Peter. The VERY last episode implies Pete is gonna go try and save her...But we never actually know. Other than that, one thing it does better than X-Men, is Spider-Man's Rogues gallery. I think we can all agree Spidey's villains are a bit more iconic and numerous than his mutant counterparts, and this show gets them down pat. Venom, Carnage, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Morbius, Spot, Hydro-Man, Kingpin, Shocker, and the list goes on. They're all so well done. And like X-Men, this show, while episodic in a sense, was still serialized. Events from one episode have long lasting effects that affect other episodes. Even if your villain changes, there's a progression and a narrative that very few children's cartoons were doing at the time.

I love Spider-Man as well, but it just never held up to me like Batman or X-Men. For one, like you mentioned, it was very unfortunate the show never got a proper end and ended on such a cliffhanger, but I think the animation was weaker in Spider-Man. As mentioned with X-Men, the animation is a little slow by today's standards, but for X-Men, it's fine because it's more narrative and powers based, whereas Spider-Man is all about the physical combat and agility and the slow animation doesn't really hold up nor do those awkward 3D backgrounds. Not to mention, dumb censors never allowed Spider-Man to throw a single punch in the show. I still enjoy it, and it's still the best Spider-Man animated series, but I just don't hold it up there with X-Men.

Character design is such bogus now. Like, is it just me, or do you need zero artistic talent to make a good kids show nowadays? I could draw better characters in 5th grade, and I'm just an average artist at best.

Right? I grew up trying to emulate the amazing art in comic books and cartoons, but now everything looks so trash. I also hate the defense people make for it, which is always "it's for kids" as if that's a good excuse for why something should be terrible. We were all kids once and we had standards. If Teen Titans Go and Rise of the TMNT came out when I was a kid, I can guarantee I wouldn't have been watching it.

However, since @bSTAR_182 brought up Scooby Doo, I would highly recommend Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated from 2010. I was never that big on Scooby Doo, but I would watch it if it was on from time to time and I do have nostalgia for the Zombie Island movie, but I heard great things about Mystery Incorporated and I actually really enjoyed it. It's a lot more mature and darker than previous incarnations and quite funny too. Definitely one of the better modern reboots around and it's all on Netflix as well. It's just a shame it got replaced by a worse show with horrendous art. Typical.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
@Turo602 I’ll have to check out Mystery Inc. but Zombie Island was the best!
You're god damn right it was.

Seriously, what's with this Zombie Island love I've been seeing lately?:lol: Is there something I'm missing, because it seems like a lot of people remember this movie too, and the only reason I know of it is because my parents bought a Ford Expedition with a VHS player and a TV in the back, and that movie was inside for some reason. Apparently they just did a sequel to it as well.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Ummm hello it was the coolest, do you not remember that totally awesome song?!

I remember I watched it for the first time when I was 8 or 9 years old. We were visiting family up in Massachusetts and I think I annoyed everyone in the house because I watched it back to back.

Last edited:

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Seriously, what's with this Zombie Island love I've been seeing lately?:lol: Is there something I'm missing, because it seems like a lot of people remember this movie too, and the only reason I know of it is because my parents bought a Ford Expedition with a VHS player and a TV in the back, and that movie was inside for some reason. Apparently they just did a sequel to it as well.
I fell off the Scooby-Doo movie train after the Cyberspace movie, but Zombie Island was by far the best. Or...well...at least my favorite. The Punk Rock music during the chase scene. The monsters being real. The "twist" at the end. The more "Dark" tone for the kids at the time. The great animation. Zombie Island was eye opening for someone like me who had only ever seen the original show from the 60s/70s.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Any time the Scooby Doo gang met with real monsters, I was VERY happy with it. The Zombie Island one is actually pretty scary and I love that it incorporates multiple classic horror monsters in it.

Additionally, I really liked Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School. Very cheesy, but the fact that they are just working with classic horror movie monsters is such a great premise.

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
Any time the Scooby Doo gang met with real monsters, I was VERY happy with it. The Zombie Island one is actually pretty scary and I love that it incorporates multiple classic horror monsters in it.

Additionally, I really liked Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School. Very cheesy, but the fact that they are just working with classic horror movie monsters is such a great premise.
I forgot about Ghoul School! That one was great!

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
I didn't really watch too many cartoons as a child, but by far my favourite was Tom and Jerry. It was simple fun and as my mum had watched them years before me, it was something that we could both enjoy together.

I also used to love watching The Smurfs and The Snorks before school. Predictably, my favourite smurf was Smurfette and I used to love any episodes where she featured.

One cartoon I absolutely loved, though, was Wacky Races. With such a wide range of characters with unique quirks, it was always fun to watch. Dick Dastardly and Muttley really used to make me laugh. Again, probably predictably, Penelope Pitstop was my favourite, followed my Peter Perfect.

As I got a little older I watched Kim Possible and The Emperor's New School. Kuzco was always good for a laugh.

That's all I can remember for now, but my god am I feeling nostalgic.

~Excella~

Premium
Old school cartoons are where it’s at, I miss my childhood.

The Real Ghostbusters
Thundercats
Jem and the Holograms
TMNT
Batman the animated series
GI Joe
Transformers
Tiny Toon Adventures
X-men the animated series
C.O.P.S
Sailor Moon
She-Ra

I’m crying.

rondachewarrior

I'm not predjudiced, I hate everybody equally.
  1. Gargoyles.
  2. TMNT
  3. Captain Planet.
  4. Pokemon Indigo League
  5. Dragonball Z
  6. The Weekenders
  7. Doug
  8. Hey Arnold
  9. Arthur
  10. Pepper Ann
  11. Recess

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I didn't really watch too many cartoons as a child, but by far my favourite was Tom and Jerry. It was simple fun and as my mum had watched them years before me, it was something that we could both enjoy together.

I also used to love watching The Smurfs and The Snorks before school. Predictably, my favourite smurf was Smurfette and I used to love any episodes where she featured.

One cartoon I absolutely loved, though, was Wacky Races. With such a wide range of characters with unique quirks, it was always fun to watch. Dick Dastardly and Muttley really used to make me laugh. Again, probably predictably, Penelope Pitstop was my favourite, followed my Peter Perfect.

As I got a little older I watched Kim Possible and The Emperor's New School. Kuzco was always good for a laugh.

That's all I can remember for now, but my god am I feeling nostalgic.

Wacky Races is such an underrated gem! I forgot about it until you just mentioned it. I use the name Dick Dastardly all the time and I forgot that I stole it from that show. haha.

I had a flashback to having the flu and staying at my grandma's house and watching that. They had a Hannah Barbera like 5 hour block on Cartoon Network back then and I'd just binge all of their shows: Wacky Races, Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, etc. I remember watching all of their Christmas specials when I was sick in like 1995 and crying because of how magical they were. 7 year old logic. haha

Top Bottom