• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 2 (2019) Story weirdness

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
To jump on what Rain was saying... The game seems to want us to think that the B scenario had a lot more of Raccoon City to see before reaching that side gate of the precinct. As in, The A scenario character has been in the police station for much longer than the B scenario person. This bothers me for the following reasons:

1) They do not show us what the B character has gone through in their time between the crash and the precinct which is SUCH a wasted opportunity.

2) It still doesn't explain the continuity errors between facing the same boss in the same locations with the same areas becoming damaged issue.

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I realize what I said doesn't explain boss fights which is why I stated multiple times that my theory couldn't explain or justify anything other than an earlier statement saying how it didn't make sense that you start scenario B at the helicopter crash when all this other stuff happened in scenario A, when in reality, as I play through scenario A, it only takes a few minutes to get to the helicopter crash and I don't see the problem with one person reaching RPD a few minutes after the other. Maybe one walked and another ran. Who knows.

Mr.R

I think @UniqTeas is right. The game gives the impression that the character on the 2nd Run had to go through a much longer path to get to the RPD (They even come in the precint with less bullets than their full clip), but the game sadly doesn't show us that way (Which would be cool, I would love to see more of Raccoon City...oh well, there's always R3make.). As for the same bosses, I think they got inspiration on the first Remake, when Jill and Chris do the same thing on their scenarios, as for puzzles and opening the same doors using the same keys with both characters, that already happened in the original RE2 so...it doesn't bother me much.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Mr.R Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't open the same doors and do all of the same puzzles in the original. Leon got the chess pieces and Claire got the serpent stone. Some of the stuff was the same but then it deviated and things were different, giving you the impression that there were two characters on two different paths doing two different things.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
To me it seems like they put a lot of effort in making the A scenarios really, really good. Then suddenly they realized that they wouldn't be able to make completely original B scenarios in time for the January release.... At the same time, they probably didn't want to release the game without B scenarios either, so instead they rushed something together quickly.

Mr.R

@Magnolia Grandiflora When I said they open the same doors I was talking about the doors opened using the Spade, Diamond, Heart and Club keys, even though some of the keys are in different places depending on the scenario and the character, both characters open the same doors, Sherry and Ada make the same puzzle to get the club key and they also do the same thing on the lab, like restoring the power in both scenarios using the fuse case. That's what I meant. Also, to get the chess pieces \ Stone pieces they make exactly the same puzzles in the same locations. Of course, the original game had the A and B scenarios more planned than the Remake, with different bosses and all, but a lot of the stuff was the same for both characters, just like the remake.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@Mr.R I thought the bosses were the same in the original...(it's been a while since I've played it though so I could be wrong.) I thought the only distinction in bosses was between A and B and only at the end - same as remake?

Mr.R

@Magnolia Grandiflora In the original the bosses are actually different. It's fixed by scenario, not character, so...

Scenario A: Monster G right before the sewers, 2nd Birkin (The one we need to hit with the crate in the remake) in the elevator, 3rd (The one we fight in the lab in the remake) & 4th William (the four legged one) in the lab.

Scenario B: 1st William (With the iron pipe) before the sewers, 3rd William in the elevator, Tyrant in the lab and final William in the train.

G1bb0

HCF Operative
The continuity errors have hurt this game's canon appeal for me as it's just too confusing and yeah Leon and Claire fighting Birkin in the same places at the same time in the same ways just doesn't make sense.

What bugs me most of all is Ada's survival, I just found the original canon scenario where she is wounded by Mr X slamming her into that console and her showing up to help later in the final fight much better than her falling off the bridge cause unless there is a pool of water down below that we don't know about I find it incredibly hard to believe Ada could survive that fall in her wounded state, I didn't even buy it in the original game which is why I was happy that Leon A was considered non canon.

I doubt I'll ever be able to accept REmake 2 to be canon over the original and the Chronicles game like how I consider REmake 1 to be canon.

Thats because RE2make isn't cannon.
RE2make has 1 story told twice. Capcom have stated as much.
It's pretty much a "what if" scenario depending on whom you pick to play as. That's why you fight the same bosses (apart from Mr X as Leon).
The only things in the game that are cannon are William and Annette's deaths and Leon, Claire and Sherry surviving.
Anything else is open to interpretation.

mert20004

I know ı'm reviving this but one thing ı want to mention that people dont say here is annette's dialogue to sherry at sewers.

She says " Why didnt you stay in the house? It was safe there. " and " You should have called the police. " to sherry when you found her as claire.

However, this kinda contradicts phone call files between annette and sherry in darkside chronicles since annette didnt want sherry to stay in their home and didnt want her to talk to anyone.

The files:

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Phone_Call_from_Annette_to_Sherry_1

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Phone_Call_from_Annette_to_Sherry_2

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Phone_Call_from_Annette_to_Sherry_3

I know capcom doesnt consider the game canon unlike re1 remake but regardless; ı wanted to mention this.

mert20004

I like what you're putting down Hel. But I still would like to have A and B scenarios.

One of the strangest things in REmake 2 is that Leon won't meet Sherry until the very end of the game no matter what. The actual dialogue is this:

Leon: Who is this?
CLaire: This is Sherry.
Leon: OK.

WHY?
I agree with this. There should have been more character interactions in re2 remake. The weird letters found in 2nd run dont help either.

And yeah more leon and sherry interactions would have been definitely cool; not to mention one of the files in re6 say that leon considered killing himself during his re2 adventures. But he didnt want to cause he thought claire and sherry needed him.

This makes sense if og re2 is took into account cause in leon b scenario; leon encounters sherry way earlier. In re2 remake though; leon isnt aware of sherry at all until the end.

D

Deleted member 21244

I know ı'm reviving this but one thing ı want to mention that people dont say here is annette's dialogue to sherry at sewers.

She says " Why didnt you stay in the house? It was safe there. " and " You should have called the police. " to sherry when you found her as claire.

However, this kinda contradicts phone call files between annette and sherry in darkside chronicles since annette didnt want sherry to stay in their home and didnt want her to talk to anyone.

The files:

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Phone_Call_from_Annette_to_Sherry_1

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Phone_Call_from_Annette_to_Sherry_2

https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Phone_Call_from_Annette_to_Sherry_3

I know capcom doesnt consider the game canon unlike re1 remake but regardless; ı wanted to mention this.
Resident evil 2, resident evil 2 remake and Darkside chronicles are all Canon game, but they contradict each other because this is residet evil and capcom never really cared about Canon

For example in re 1 remake you find Rebecca on the second floor whit Richard and she say that: it look like she was bitten by a poisonous snake...
This contradict umbrella chronicles scenario in which rebecca knew how Exactly Richard was wounded and also he was wounded in the first floor and was found there by Chris and jill while in the remake she is find on the second floor

Another example is that re 2 remake story is all weird and the first scenario automatically contradict the second scenario, and contradict original re 2, yet both game are Canon

In resident evil 1 chris, jill, Rebecca and barry all survived the incident, yet in fhe original game there is no ending that show this
Jill and Chris scenario both happened simultaneously yet in the game only one truly accoured

When talking about resident evil Canon it all become very weird

mert20004

13:00

Og re2 is the canon one. Memories of a lost city and re2 remake's stories are reimaginings. Though the files in darkside chronicles are all canon unlike the reimaginings, there isnt any reason for them to not be since the files dont really contradict anything.

Re1 and re1 remake are totally different from re2 and re2 remake; ı'm not sure why you needed to mention them.

D

Deleted member 21244

13:00

Og re2 is the canon one. Memories of a lost city and re2 remake's stories are reimaginings. Though the files in darkside chronicles are all canon unlike the reimaginings, there isnt any reason for them to not be since the files dont really contradict anything.

Re1 and re1 remake are totally different from re2 and re2 remake; ı'm not sure why you needed to mention them.
???

mert20004

Weird. For some reason, the video dont show up here.

It says that re2 remake's story is a revisiting / reimagining of re2 and hasnt rewritten the continuity of the franchise. Basically it doesnt replace re2 storywise.

Re1 remake isnt " revisiting " ; it's a full on remake unlike re2 remake that isnt a full remake. ( Remake gameplaywise, reimagining storywise. )

D

Deleted member 21244

It says that re2 remake's story is a revisiting / reimagining of re2 and hasnt rewritten the continuity of the franchise. Basically it doesnt replace re2 storywise.

Re1 remake isnt " revisiting " ; it's a full on remake unlike re2 remake that isnt a full remake. ( Remake gameplaywise, reimagining storywise. )

Capcom say bull****, Reimagining is the same thing as remaking in this case, because you have to Reimagine the story when doing a remake

re 2 it's a remake, simply capcom failed in remaking the story because it would have taken many other years to make 4 different scenario on this new generation of console

And re 2 remake is also Canon because is listed as canon, it's not a what if scenario like operation raccon city, it's officially as cacon as the original re 2, unfortunately

mert20004

Capcom say bull****, Reimagining is the same thing as remaking in this case, because you have to Reimagine the story when doing a remake

re 2 it's a remake, simply capcom failed in remaking the story because it would have taken many other years to make 4 different scenario on this new generation of console

And re 2 remake is also Canon because is listed as canon, it's not a what if scenario like operation raccon city, it's officially as cacon as the original re 2, unfortunately
No, they dont. Re2 remake doesnt replace re2 storywise.

That video ( Which doesnt show here for some reason ) is a proof to that.

D

Deleted member 21244

No, they dont. Re2 remake doesnt replace re2 storywise.

That video ( Which doesnt show here for some reason ) is a proof to that.
My god lol I know that re 2 remake dosent replace thr original re 2, but re 2 remake is as canon as re 2 in the official timeline and in the world eyes, they didnt sell it as a non Canon what if game but as a remake of re 2

Also i didn't write anywhere that re 2 remake replace original re 2

The whole word know it as a remake, Wikipedia say its a remake, every site say its a remake, capcom himself say before that it was a canon remake, and they sold it as a remake

It's an official remake in the end

Capcom say bull****, because in the interview whit the director of re 2 everyone call it remake, and also capcom call it remake, than we have this interview whit fabiano and the other who say it's a reimagination, so yeah capcom officially say bull****

mert20004

My god lol I know that re 2 remake dosent replace thr original re 2, but re 2 remake is as canon as re 2 in the official timeline and in the world eyes, they didnt sell it as a non Canon what if game but as a remake of re 2

Also i didn't write anywhere that re 2 remake replace original re 2

The whole word know it as a remake, Wikipedia say its a remake, every site say its a remake, capcom himself say before that it was a canon remake, and they sold it as a remake

It's an official remake in the end

Capcom say bull****, because in the interview whit the director of re 2 everyone call it remake, and also capcom call it remake, than we have this interview whit fabiano and the other who say it's a reimagination, so yeah capcom officially say bull****
Capcom previously stated that re2 remake is a reimagining though; they stated this in interviews before the release of the game. It's a remake yes but only gameplaywise. Storywise; it's not a remake and instead a reimagining that doesnt replace re2.

Saying re2 remake is as canon as re2 is illogical cause it has big problems storywise, problems that arent found in re2.

D

Deleted member 21244

Capcom previously stated that re2 remake is a reimagining though; they stated this in interviews before the release of the game. It's a remake yes but only gameplaywise. Storywise; it's not a remake and instead a reimagining that doesnt replace re2.

Saying re2 remake is as canon as re2 is illogical cause it has big problems storywise, problems that arent found in re2.
Remake 2 it's in the end Canon, for me the original is canon and the remake it's none, but officially capcom list it as canon

Also re 1 and remake have the same problem of re 2 remake, the two scenario are non Canon, because the canon story say that jill barry Rebecca and Chris all visited the mansion simultaneously and escaped but none of this is seen in the remake or in the original, yet the game is Canon

Also remaking dosent mean to make the story exactly the same as the original, movie like the thing, Scarface and the departed are all remake yet the story its almost completely different from the original source

Top Bottom