• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Sheva or Ashley... who's the WORST sidekick?

Airaku

Stray Jedi
Personally I think Ashley is one of the best in the series. Added a challenge, she added a layer to the game, and she's ****ing cute!!!!

Sheva was.... okay but stale. Almost no personality. Boring but it could have been worse, much worse.

mjk321

Ashley is the best, she doesn't waste ammo and she can wear a knight's armor that makes her invincible. and as Airaku said, she IS cute.

Venomous Oddball

Also Known as Maddy
I think I'm one of the only people that isn't really annoyed by Ashley's voice, but it's her face. xD Her facial expressions make her look like a beaver-pitbull hybrid. :p
I usually play as Sheva, so Chris is the one that gets in the way for me. He just stands there when I'm shooting then he runs right in my way and doesn't help shoot the enemy.
Ashley only isn't a problem if you have her knight armour on, so it really depends.

black 93

I think I'm one of the only people that isn't really annoyed by Ashley's voice, but it's her face. xD Her facial expressions make her look like a beaver-pitbull hybrid. :p
I usually play as Sheva, so Chris is the one that gets in the way for me. He just stands there when I'm shooting then he runs right in my way and doesn't help shoot the enemy.
Ashley only isn't a problem if you have her knight armour on, so it really depends.
That knight armour is the only way i got through the castle on pro ;)

HookerZombie

:lol:

Sheva can at least defend herself with a gun so that makes her less annoying in my opinion plus she isn't constantly getting captured and needing rescue.

However she doesn't take orders as well as Ashley does and will mess things up sometimes (her offline A.I. is about as terrible as it was for the offline partner characters in Outbreak )

Nero Sparda

Jack!POT!
Out of those 2; Sheva definitely even though she's a better character than Ashley. ( Though I think Chris' AI is worse and playing as Sheva feels uncomfortable since she's left handed. )

I honestly think Ashley is overhated similar to Steve. Like; yeah as a character, she's kind of meh but her AI is pretty good and she stays behind Leon most of the time and will even duck so that you can't hurt her accidentally. You even control her at castle to give items to Leon.

Meanwhile, Sheva wastes ammo and doesn't perform melee most of the time. She can even waste herbs; why use a single herb instead of waiting a bit more and use 1st aid spray / herb combination when I'm in caution?

RE5 partner AI isn't that bad but it's still unnecessarily frustrating; granted it could have been worse ( Looks at RE0 and Revelations. ) but still. Really prefer RE6's partner system over RE5.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I love having Sheva as my partner. People have valid complaints about the AI, but in 2008, that was actually pretty good even though all the complaints began then. She makes the campaign less terrifying to play. Like, glad to have a friend.

I don't mind Ashley's personality because she acts age and title appropriate. She should have some PTSD after all this, but instead tried to get frisky with Leon, but that is it's own story. However, every time Ashley is partnered up, the tension in the game grows since I have 2 bodies I have to keep alive. ESPECIALLY when she is turning the cranks in that one Castle section and when she is operating the wrecking ball in that furnacey room later on!

If I had to pick one, I'd pick Sheva every time!

Mr.R

Honestly, if RE5 had a "Stay" command to the A.I partner, things would've been way better. A.I is not that horrible (except by the fact that A.I don't dodge attacks, with the exception of some bosses attacks, which is something the player have to keep in mind.), but with a "stay" command, you could even use that strategically. As it is, Ashley is way less annoying. Seriously. Almost every area where she is with you, there's a safe place for her to stay while you battle enemies, with the exception being the large room in the castle where she needs to use levers to raise a bridge and the wrecking ball room in the island. All the other places, you can get her away from the action before you need to fight.

D

Deleted member 21244

I think Sheva is the most annoying, at least Ashley is not present in the game sometime and you can hide her or tell her to not follow you and this help to not let her die, while Sheva die often especially on higher difficulty and waste ammo and herbs easily while Sherry cannot, also I remember playing chapter 5-3 at professional in re 5 the two on two battle between sheva and Chris vs wesker and Jill and I died like 40 times because Sheva continued to die at the end of jill

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain611

You can't kill me.
You guys had a way worse experience than I did with Sheva. I suppose it helps that I am actually heavily left handed and I shoot left handed so that awkwardness isn't there with me, in fact I actually prefer playing as Sheva because she is left handed. When I don't play as Sheva I don't give her herbs because yes, she is wasteful but she can't waste what she doesn't have. And as long as you set her to attack, she can actually be pretty useful in my experience.

I simply can't choose an unarmed child who runs into the line of fire, who has nothing to offer in terms of support, who has a super annoying voice as a worse sidekick than someone who can carry a gun. I honestly don't see how it's even a competition.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Thank you Rain for completing my thought process. Everything you said, double it, but I am right handed.

Now, the question becomes - what partner in RE6 would you prefer OR are the characters basically just skins and all of them play the same?

Rain611

You can't kill me.
The thing about RE6 is that I never played with AI, I played all the campaigns with my husband but I would want Piers to be my partner obviously :p.

RedfieldFan

As both a character and a sidekick, Sheva is by far the best.

Ashley is basically just a plot devise who can't defend herself or climb down ladders. Her AI is good though.

Sheva's AI can be annoying especially on harder difficulties but she's still actually useful.

NMCKE

Boulder Punching Action
Assuming Chris has the same A.I as Sheva, I'd say Sheva because I noticed A.I does a lot more to help you and at some point, ot just knows what to do.

If you're low on rifle ammo, the A.I will give you any rifle ammo it finds.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I think that perfectly sums up how I feel too RedfieldFan. Sheva is actually pretty useful throughout the game. Sometimes, the AI makes bad decisions in regards to when to heal, but that is just part of the experience. haha.

Ashley is a gimmick a lot of times. I don't find her as annoying as some other people do, but she is still just a hampering on the gameplay.

~Excella~

Premium
Ashley by far. I had some questionable moments with Sheva where she was being a stupid AI, but, she isn’t even half as annoying and awful as Ashley is.

Top Bottom