• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City (2021)

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Nope, go back and check out the early reactions to the promo material. Leto's Joker was front and center of the trailers which made it seem as if he was going to be the villain of the film. People were generally looking forward to it, and were willing to give it a shot. Praise might be a strong word, I agree, but he wasn't universally despised beforehand and the majority were not against him. Leto's Joker became hated AFTER the film was released, and I think it had more to do with the fact that he was barely in the movie. Then people started to look at everything that was wrong with the character. And then we got Phoenix's Joker, and now the hate for Letos' Joker is at its strongest yet.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Nope, go back and check out the early reactions to the promo material. Leto's Joker was front and center of the trailers which made it seem as if he was going to be the villain of the film. People were generally looking forward to it, and were willing to give it a shot. Praise might be a strong word, I agree, but he wasn't universally despised beforehand and the majority were not against him. Leto's Joker became hated AFTER the film was released, and I think it had more to do with the fact that he was barely in the movie. Then people started to look at everything that was wrong with the character. And then we got Phoenix's Joker, and now the hate for Letos' Joker is at its strongest yet.

I was right in the middle of the whole thing back when they revealed his Joker and leading to the film's release. There's always a vocal minority of blind love for anything and everything. I still see it today like with Sonic's original design. Everyone hated it, yet there was still people out there defending it, even long after they announced they'd be redesigning him. Jared Leto's Joker was a goddamn meme, but once he spoke in a trailer, the usual shills pretended it was the greatest thing ever and suddenly hated Heath Ledger's Joker because he wasn't Joker enough anymore apparently, until the movie came out and Jared Leto was the most awful thing about it.

Jonipoon

Comparing Sonic's first design with Leto's Joker is the longest longshot yet. You just need to look at the dislike bar for that first Sonic trailer and compare it to the dislike bar for the first teaser for Suicide Squad. It's not even close.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Comparing Sonic's first design with Leto's Joker is the longest longshot yet. You just need to look at the dislike bar for that first Sonic trailer and compare it to the dislike bar for the first teaser for Suicide Squad. It's not even close.

Suicide Squad isn't a Joker film...

Jonipoon

Suicide Squad isn't a Joker film...
It doesn't matter. We both know that when people dislike something on the internet they will show their disapproval. Besides, after the first trailer for Suicide Squad everyone was talking about that last scene with Joker. Not to mention almost every trailer account on YouTube put Joker in their thumbnail for the video.

Turo602

The King of Kings
It doesn't matter. We both know that when people dislike something on the internet they will show their disapproval. Besides, after the first trailer for Suicide Squad everyone was talking about that last scene with Joker. Not to mention almost every trailer account on YouTube put Joker in their thumbnail for the video.

That's irrelevant. Nobody is gonna leave a dislike for an awful Joker that appears for like 2 seconds when they already knew what he'd look like going in. Everybody disliked Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor yet nobody was leaving dislikes on trailers because that's not what the film is focusing on. If the film was called Joker, it would be a very different story.

Jonipoon

That's irrelevant. Nobody is gonna leave a dislike for an awful Joker that appears for like 2 seconds when they already knew what he'd look like going in. Everybody disliked Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor yet nobody was leaving dislikes on trailers because that's not what the film is focusing on. If the film was called Joker, it would be a very different story.
Of course its relevant. People didn't know what Suicide Squad was going to be about, and everyone assumed that Joker was going to be the villain because he was front and center of all the promo material, including that first trailer - he was the money shot, similar to how Han Solo and Chewbacca appearing at the end of the first TFA trailer was the money shot. Nobody cared that much about Lex Luthor because he wasn't front and center, he wasn't the money shot of any trailer, everyone knew Batman v Superman was going to be about Batman and Superman.

Still, you comparing it to Sonic is just ridiculous. For a better comparison, Avengers isn't called Iron Man: Avengers, but if Tony Stark appeared at the end of an Avengers trailer looking like absolute sh*it for 2 seconds, you'd be sure to see the dislikes rolling in...

Turo602

The King of Kings
Of course its relevant. People didn't know what Suicide Squad was going to be about, and everyone assumed that Joker was going to be the villain because he was front and center of all the promo material, including that first trailer - he was the money shot, similar to how Han Solo and Chewbacca appearing at the end of the first TFA trailer was the money shot. Nobody cared that much about Lex Luthor because he wasn't front and center, he wasn't the money shot of any trailer, everyone knew Batman v Superman was going to be about Batman and Superman.

Still, you comparing it to Sonic is just ridiculous. For a better comparison, Avengers isn't called Iron Man: Avengers, but if Tony Stark appeared at the end of an Avengers trailer looking like absolute sh*it for 2 seconds, you'd be sure to see the dislikes rolling in...

Everyone knew Suicide Squad was about the Suicide Squad... Joker being a money shot still isn't enough to sway public opinion away from a film starring Will Smith and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn.

What's ridiculous is that you think a 3 minute trailer would have gotten the same reaction as ugly Sonic in a movie that stars Sonic and is called Sonic, just because of a 10 second money shot, that people were still b*tching about anyway.

Besides, it's already been established that the quality of the film had very little to do with the reception the character got afterwards because if that were true, Harley Quinn wouldn't have been so popular despite the film being sh*tty. People who decided to love Jared Leto's Joker still loved him after the film's release, they were just drowned out by the mass audience who actually saw the film and didn't spend all their time on the internet hyping up garbage before the release. Like I said, it was false hype from a vocal minority. Leto still has his fanbase but he was widely despised since day one, and that hasn't changed.

Jonipoon

I didn't even talk about Sonic until you brought it up... That's all on you.
Sonic is irrelevant to what we discussed earlier, when you brought that up its like comparing apples to oranges.

My points about money shots and reactions still stand, and Iron Man: Avengers would be a much better comparison. And even though Suicide Squad was an ensemble movie, obviously Will Smith was going to get a lot of attention no matter what. And oh yeah, Harley Quinn is so immensely popular, that's probably why her Birds of Prey movie did so increeedibly well at the box office (!).

All in all you're seeing everything in black and white, its all about "vocal minorities", "shills" and so on but you're missing the big picture. I couldn't care less about Leto's Joker or Suicide Squad, its a missed opportunity and a ****ty film - However, suggesting that Leto's Joker was universally hated from day one except for a small vocal minority is incredibly wrong.

Turo602

The King of Kings
I didn't even talk about Sonic until you brought it up... That's all on you.
Sonic is irrelevant to what we discussed earlier, when you brought that up its like comparing apples to oranges.

My points about money shots and reactions still stand, and Iron Man: Avengers would be a much better comparison. And even though Suicide Squad was an ensemble movie, obviously Will Smith was going to get a lot of attention no matter what. And oh yeah, Harley Quinn is so immensely popular, that's probably why her Birds of Prey movie did so increeedibly well at the box office (!).

All in all you're seeing everything in black and white, its all about "vocal minorities", "shills" and so on but you're missing the big picture. I couldn't care less about Leto's Joker or Suicide Squad, its a missed opportunity and a ****ty film - However, suggesting that Leto's Joker was universally hated from day one except for a small vocal minority is incredibly wrong.

You're the one who compared dislike bars, therefore insinuating both situations were identical as if it was somehow evidence against my claim. That's 100% on you. Don't backpedal and try to dump this on me just because you were wrong and then pretend your point and moot example based on pure assumption is valid.

And what you're trying to insinuate with that Birds of Prey remark is complete nonsense. Because even I know you don't believe that. So I don't really get why you said it. Or should I really believe that you think Harley Quinn didn't gain any kind of popularity after Suicide Squad and that you truly believe Birds of Prey flopping has anything to do with Harley Quinn herself? Or are you just so wrapped up in your own argument that you no longer care about what you're saying as long as it can help your point of view?

I'm seeing everything as I saw it back in 2015 when everyone was making fun of him much like they did Sonic last year. I'm talking about the countless comments I read on social media and various news sites, the videos I watched and the discussions I had on forums and with friends and family, for the whole year that it took between Joker's reveal and the film's release. If you have some concrete evidence you want to provide, by all means, show me. I can only speak for what I've seen, but so far, you seem to think that because you caught wind of some hype from several sources, that you're somehow the authority of audience reaction because of dislike bars, thumbnails, and some corny meme made by some fanboy.

I also never said he was universally hated, I said he was widely despised which is completely accurate given the range of outlets I've seen him get trashed on. Yes, he had hype, he had fans, and he still does, but he was still widely hated long before the film's release and no, the audience didn't suddenly have a change of heart over the film's quality or Leto being sidelined either. That's complete speculation on your end, which doesn't even hold up as I've stated before. There's a reason WB canned Leto's Joker film, meanwhile had Harley Quinn booked for all sorts of films, and still went on to make a Joker film without Leto.

D

Deleted member 21244

As far as i remember jared lato joker was mixed received by people at the trailer debut, i don't think the general reception about hin were negative or positive they were mixed

Before the movie released the marketing was all around joker ans Harley queen, making suicide squad look like a movie about them, this happened because joker and Harley queen were popular character and it was the only way to sell this movie who nobody really cared about... Yeah there was will Smith as dead shot but his lasts movie were total flop, his presence wasn't enough to sell this movie

But when i saw the movie it was a total disappointment, leto only happear for few minutes, and his joker was badly written ans leto s interpretation was simply bad, maybe wasn't all his fault but his joker was bad in that movie, plain and simple, the movie was decent in my opinion, the worst part where Leto s part unfortunately

Harley queen on the other hand was praised and Infact she get her own movie birds of prey, unfortunately the movie didn't do well at the box office despite the positive review, this is because the movie didn't get the same massive marketing s suicide squad or other dc movie like joker, also they should have simply called the movie Harley queen: birds of prey instead of that long title that get people away from the movie

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonipoon

You're the one who compared dislike bars, therefore insinuating both situations were identical as if it was somehow evidence against my claim. That's 100% on you. Don't backpedal and try to dump this on me just because you were wrong and then pretend your point and moot example based on pure assumption is valid.

And what you're trying to insinuate with that Birds of Prey remark is complete nonsense. Because even I know you don't believe that. So I don't really get why you said it. Or should I really believe that you think Harley Quinn didn't gain any kind of popularity after Suicide Squad and that you truly believe Birds of Prey flopping has anything to do with Harley Quinn herself? Or are you just so wrapped up in your own argument that you no longer care about what you're saying as long as it can help your point of view?

I'm seeing everything as I saw it back in 2015 when everyone was making fun of him much like they did Sonic last year. I'm talking about the countless comments I read on social media and various news sites, the videos I watched and the discussions I had on forums and with friends and family, for the whole year that it took between Joker's reveal and the film's release. If you have some concrete evidence you want to provide, by all means, show me. I can only speak for what I've seen, but so far, you seem to think that because you caught wind of some hype from several sources, that you're somehow the authority of audience reaction because of dislike bars, thumbnails, and some corny meme made by some fanboy.

I also never said he was universally hated, I said he was widely despised which is completely accurate given the range of outlets I've seen him get trashed on. Yes, he had hype, he had fans, and he still does, but he was still widely hated long before the film's release and no, the audience didn't suddenly have a change of heart over the film's quality or Leto being sidelined either. That's complete speculation on your end, which doesn't even hold up as I've stated before. There's a reason WB canned Leto's Joker film, meanwhile had Harley Quinn booked for all sorts of films, and still went on to make a Joker film without Leto.
You brought Sonic up. I called it a bad comparison, and then moved on to explain the difference in dislike bars. The whole thing about the dislike bar was to prove my point about Sonic being a completely irrelevant comparison, which it still is. Now you're acting as if this argument never made sense in the first place, which it does. You say it wasn't evidence against your claim, but it is. That's why I also brought up the example about Iron Man in the Avengers. Or perhaps you're refusing to acknowledge this comparison because it would break your own argument?

I never said Margot's Harley Quinn isn't popular at all, I simply said that apparently she's not popular enough for her own movie to succeed. Of course the film itself and surrounding marketing is a contributing factor to that, but the numbers do speak for themselves and there's no denying that. She definitely has a big group of fans but no way in hell was she going to be able to hold a movie by her own. I saw that coming a long time ago and I saw many commentators having the same concerns back when the first teaser came out.

I'm also talking about the countless of comments I read on social media and various news sites, I don't really see the point in trying to brag about who's read the most comments unless its for boosting one's own ego. I even vividly remember seeing people dress up as both Joker and Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad for Halloween back in 2015. But when I speak about what I've seen, it's just shills and vocal minorities, yet you're somehow the know-it-all with the best and most reliable sources out there? Sorry but I don't see where you're getting at. You accused me of acting arrogant yet did the exact same thing yourself.

How is it speculation when its clear from the start the trailers misled people (including both fans, journalists and the mainstream audience) into assuming that Joker had a much bigger role in the film than in actuality? Heck, David Ayer even came out and apologized after the film's poor reception and admitted that Joker should've been the villain of the film, and that's a fact. Yes, like we've both said, when the promo material first came out the reception to Leto's Joker had its fair share of both dislikes and likes, but come on, that basically happens every time there's a reboot of a beloved character.

Additionally, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is the very first incarnation of the character on the big screen, just like the other characters in Suicide Squad. Many people who disliked Leto's design were fanboys whom were angry because it wasn't Heath Ledger.

Turo602

The King of Kings
You brought Sonic up. I called it a bad comparison, and then moved on to explain the difference in dislike bars. The whole thing about the dislike bar was to prove my point about Sonic being a completely irrelevant comparison, which it still is. Now you're acting as if this argument never made sense in the first place, which it does. You say it wasn't evidence against your claim, but it is. That's why I also brought up the example about Iron Man in the Avengers. Or perhaps you're refusing to acknowledge this comparison because it would break your own argument?

I never said Margot's Harley Quinn isn't popular at all, I simply said that apparently she's not popular enough for her own movie to succeed. Of course the film itself and surrounding marketing is a contributing factor to that, but the numbers do speak for themselves and there's no denying that. She definitely has a big group of fans but no way in hell was she going to be able to hold a movie by her own. I saw that coming a long time ago and I saw many commentators having the same concerns back when the first teaser came out.

I'm also talking about the countless of comments I read on social media and various news sites, I don't really see the point in trying to brag about who's read the most comments unless its for boosting one's own ego. I even vividly remember seeing people dress up as both Joker and Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad for Halloween back in 2015. But when I speak about what I've seen, it's just shills and vocal minorities, yet you're somehow the know-it-all with the best and most reliable sources out there? Sorry but I don't see where you're getting at. You accused me of acting arrogant yet did the exact same thing yourself.

How is it speculation when its clear from the start the trailers misled people (including both fans, journalists and the mainstream audience) into assuming that Joker had a much bigger role in the film than in actuality? Heck, David Ayer even came out and apologized after the film's poor reception and admitted that Joker should've been the villain of the film, and that's a fact. Yes, like we've both said, when the promo material first came out the reception to Leto's Joker had its fair share of both dislikes and likes, but come on, that basically happens every time there's a reboot of a beloved character.

Additionally, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is the very first incarnation of the character on the big screen, just like the other characters in Suicide Squad. Many people who disliked Leto's design were fanboys whom were angry because it wasn't Heath Ledger.

Your dislike bar comparison is weak for reasons I already stated nor does it have anything to do with what I said. I compared 2 very specific opinions as being vocal minority opinions, yet you thought it logical to bring up dislike bars, which was pointless and made no sense given the nature of the 2 films. You said I was looking at everything black and white, yet you're out here using a thumbs up/thumbs down counter on 2 drastically different films to compare the reception of 2 characters.

I acknowledged your Avengers comparison and wrote it off because it's pure assumption, therefore it means nothing. You have to be really arrogant to think that you can just conjure up a scenario based on absolutely nothing and use it as "evidence" against someone else's claim. You can't prove people would have disliked an Avengers trailer over a sh*tty looking Iron Man, so use an actual example if you really want to prove people would dislike something similar to Suicide Squad over 10 seconds of a character.

You're the one who started the whole thing by trying to diminish the hatred for his Joker by placing blame on unrelated factors about the film's quality (which is what I was referring to as speculation), because of hype from a meme you saw going around, as if that somehow means his Joker wasn't massively hated already and it was simply a change of heart. I very specifically spoke about my experience leading to the film's release, yet you're trying to speak definitively on the subject in defense of Leto's Joker because apparently, the hate wasn't that strong. Even though they cut his screentime and ditched the character entirely... I compared the praise to the usual praise I see for other terrible things in other fandoms, which I still maintain come from fanboys and shills, but like I said, I can only speak on what I've seen.

And Heath Ledger was already dead, but sure, that's why people hated Leto's Joker...

Jonipoon

Yes, because like I said (now I have to repeat myself again) people were misled into believing Joker had a bigger role, and David Ayer apologized for not making him the villain. WB deciding to cut his screentime yet at the same time deciding to use him extensively in the marketing doesn't make sense, its obvious that David Ayer is mostly responsible for the mess.

You still can't prove that he was massively hated from day one just because that's the story you prefer.

Also, the dislike bar is actually a much better comparison because it is solid proof of public opinion in 1 single place. It's much harder to detect specific opinions based on what you read on specific people's Twitters or after having conversations with friends or family members.

Turo602

The King of Kings
Yes, because like I said (now I have to repeat myself again) people were misled into believing Joker had a bigger role, and David Ayer apologized for not making him the villain. WB deciding to cut his screentime yet at the same time deciding to use him extensively in the marketing doesn't make sense, its obvious that David Ayer is mostly responsible for the mess.

You still can't prove that he was massively hated from day one just because that's the story you prefer.

Also, the dislike bar is actually a much better comparison because it is solid proof of public opinion in 1 single place. It's much harder to detect specific opinions based on what you read on specific people's Twitters or after having conversations with friends or family members.

That's all irrelevant. Your claim is that people would have reacted more favorably to him if he was in it more or the film was better which is just you saying things that don't add up. Yet, somehow you think misleading media supports this claim?

Neither can you, so what are you going on about? My word against yours. What I do know, is that Leto got canned as Joker due to fan backlash, so I'm more inclined to believe people hated him rather than your convoluted story about maybes, media, and change of hearts.

All your lame dislike bar comparison proves is that everyone hated the Sonic trailer and more people were interested in the Suicide Squad. Bogus proof, try again.

Edit: Anyway, this whole debate has been extremely pointless. I don't really see the point in continuing because I honestly don't give a sh*t anymore. I don't need to sway you just because you have damaged tattooed on your forehead. You think it's one thing, I think it's another, nobody cares. This isn't getting anywhere. I'm done with this conversation.

Last edited:

Jonipoon

Why you keep saying its irrelevant when it is relevant? Misleading trailers and false advertisement is a thing, and it happens quite often. Besides I've already given you proof that the filmmakers regret not making him the villain so there's that.

I don't see the problem in speculation since that was what my original post did in the first place:

I'm sure that Leto's Joker would've been much better received by fans and media if that film (Suicide Squad) didn't sideline him completely. If you put Joaquin Phoenix's Joker in Suicide Squad but didn't change anything about the story, it would've still been terrible.

Yada yada yada, you seem to have made up your mind before this conversation even started. Now you're saying that this debate is pointless so I suppose that settles it then. You're still seeing this situation in a very black&white way which makes it difficult to continue.

Jonipoon

Anyways, back to topic, here's an article I missed that says that Claire Redfield will reportedly be the main character of the reboot:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/claire-redfield-reportedly-focus-resident-evil-reboot/

And here's the actress rumored to play her, Samara Weaving:
0Drgj6z3.jpg

Although she reminds me of Claire from the RE2 remake, in all honesty those cheekbones combined with her overall look makes her feel more like a Jill Valentine to me. Abigail Breslin will look like a 3rd grader next to Weaving, which is not the feeling you want when putting Jill and Claire together.

The movie will probably be terrible anyway, so I guess there's no big deal in whom they chose. Its so obvious that the filmmakers know nothing about Resident Evil, they probably read that the RE2 remake was successful so they're like "lets capitalize on that".

Ark2000

Although she reminds me of Claire from the RE2 remake, in all honesty those cheekbones combined with her overall look makes her feel more like a Jill Valentine to me.

Exactly, that's what i thought when i first heard those news. But anyway, she is a very good actress and so far she did a great job in everything i've seen her in, so as long as the story and the script are good (wishful thinking, yes) i think she'll do the same in RE reboot, hopefully,

D

Deleted member 21244

Let's wait for a trailer at least before judging

Ark2000

More news, at this point i don't know is this true or not, but if it is, all i can say is that at least so far it sounds more interesting than Netflix series, which i hope will be cancelled, specially after finding more about the plot. Anyway, about the reboot;

Ant-Man and the Wasp’s Hannah John-Kamen has been officially offered the role of Jill Valentine in the upcoming Resident Evil reboot for Screen Gems.

When the first Resident Evilgames hit Playstation consoles in the late 90’s, the horror genre in video games simply didn’t exist. The slow burning game was built around the investigation of a zombie infection and outbreak in the fictional town of Raccoon City and the unraveling conspiracy behind it all. It was first adapted by Paul W.S. Anderson beginning with 2002’s Resident Evil, which spawned five sequels and a place near the top of B-movie glory. The franchise went on to gross over $1.2 billion dollars at the global box-office, so you can see why the property is being revamped.

The Resident Evil franchise has multiple projects in development, and The Illuminerdi has some information about the upcoming feature film that should put smiles on the faces of Umbrella Corporation lovers – and haters – worldwide.

Scooper Daniel Richtman previously reported on Kaya Scodelario being offered the role of Claire Redfield, which is 100% accurate. However, at the present time, the negotiation has not been finalized. We weren’t able to confirm the subsequent report of Brenton Thwaites being up for Chris Redfield, which could simply mean that he passed on the part or had scheduling conflicts, since the role was still open for casting at last check.

RESIDENT EVIL’S NEW JILL VALENTINE?

The upcoming Resident Evil reboot is reported to be leaning closer to its videogame roots, and all signs indicate that those whispers are indeed true. Fan-favorite character Jill Valentine will be adapted for the film, and an official offer has been made to Killjoys’ Hannah John-Kamen.

In the new Resident Evil reboot, Valentine is described as a small town girl that enjoys hunting with the guys. She is gorgeous yet tough, and she knows how to have a good time. If John-Kamen doesn’t lock in the role, they are keeping the casting open to all ethnicities, but they are focusing on casting an African-American with mixed heritage for the role. With all those factors in place for their casting search, it’s easy to see how John-Kamen got the contract opportunity.

John-Kamen’s profile was massively amplified when she was cast as the unlikely Marvel villain Ghost in Ant-Man and the Wasp. She has a resume full of science fiction and genre works, so she is a great fit for the material.

It was also noted that the role of Jill Valentine will become a major focal point of the franchise in future installments and they need their talent to be ready for that type of commitment.

ADDITIONAL Resident Evil DETAILS

As previously reported, Claire Redfield, Leon Kennedy, Chris Redfield, and Albert Wesker are all majors characters from the video game to be adapted into lead roles in the film. Wesker is 28 years old and described as intense and good looking, but not necessarily in a virtuous way. We can additionally confirm that Chief Irons, a minor antagonist from the game, will appear as well. Irons, who many may remember had a tragic end in the game series, is 60 years old and unhealthy. He’s described as the type who is crossing days off of his calendar towards his retirement.

The new, untitled Resident Evil film is being directed by Johannes Roberts (47 Meters Down), who is co-writing alongside Greg Russo (the writer behind the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot). Resident Evil is being produced by Margo Klewans and Robert Kulzer for Screen Gems. The $30-40 million dollar budgeted film was initially intended to start shooting this June, but clearly the production is postponed for the duration of the pandemic protocol.

Top Bottom