• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident evil Netflix adaptation

• Thread starter Deleted member 21244
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21244

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21244

Have they learned nothing?

There’s a reason I stay out of this part of the forum. This sounds like absolute **** too, I’ll gladly pass on the Netflix adaptation.
It's just a rumor, so it can easy be false, hope so :neutral:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I clicked this thread with such hopes. But the names Billie and Jade Wesker really made me cringe.

I really wish that Arklay had caught on. That was the best adaptation to a Resident Evil plot I have ever seen. It was secluded from the games, but still caught on to what made the game scary.

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
I clicked this thread with such hopes. But the names Billie and Jade Wesker really made me cringe.

I really wish that Arklay had caught on. That was the best adaptation to a Resident Evil plot I have ever seen. It was secluded from the games, but still caught on to what made the game scary.
I honestly forgot all about Arklay...

I get what they were trying to do but that was kind of the problem as it was forgettable.

PinkHerb

Healing Item
I have just read the article of the rumored plot of the show...and oh boy. I do not mind original characters, but characters related to established canon makes cringe because it reminds me of crappy fanfiction, like an OC being the long lost sister, brother, cousin, uncle, aunt, roommate, cousin twice removed, etc to the Redfield siblings. Since this is a original plot in its own universe, I guess that it is okay....but if we learned anything from the Anderson Movies...keeping our expectations low is the best thing just in case.

Last edited:

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah - there are two ways to go about this successfully. You either:

A) Use the lore and story from the games and build around that. Make Chris and Jill your main characters and explore Raccoon City/Arklay Mountains/Mansion and build from there. You don't have to be exact to the game story - but don't make ridiculous characters and make it all supernatural.

OR

B) Create your own characters set in a zombie ridden city (Raccoon seems like a good start) and have them investigate Umbrella/survive until they can escape. Give us characterization and mystery - not just cool zombie effects. You can then add cameos by the game characters without stepping on the lore too much.

Jonipoon

Professional Sandwich Consumer
Kind of unrelated by I didn't want to start a new thread.

I rewatched the first Resident Evil movie for the first time in like 15 years and man, what a horrible movie it is. As a Resident Evil movie it sucks, and as a movie itself it sucks. As a filmmaker myself I noticed the many errors in pacing and storytelling, not to mention the acting never holds up. The only good thing about the movie is probably Michelle Rodriguez's character, whose line delivery actually works. But everyone else - horrible.

D

Deleted member 21244

Kind of unrelated by I didn't want to start a new thread.

I rewatched the first Resident Evil movie for the first time in like 15 years and man, what a horrible movie it is. As a Resident Evil movie it sucks, and as a movie itself it sucks. As a filmmaker myself I noticed the many errors in pacing and storytelling, not to mention the acting never holds up. The only good thing about the movie is probably Michelle Rodriguez's character, whose line delivery actually works. But everyone else - horrible.
I actually rewatched it recently and i noticed some storytelling error and not good acting, but in the end i find it enjoyable, not that bad in the end

ToCool74

Veteran Member
Netflix was able to do a somewhat good job at adapting The Witcher with only a few minor issues but for some reason they just can't grasp on how to adapt another video game adaption properly? Resident Evil does not have as complex of a story as The Witcher and yet for some reason Netflix can adapt that but not Resident Evil?

All you need is to have it star some of the staple RE characters, perhaps Jill and Chris for season 1 and Claire and Leon for season 2 and simply do your own take on those events, nobody is saying adapt those events perfectly but at least use those events (Mansion incident and Racoon City outbreak) as the core basis for your new spin on expanding that story and making it more interesting and engaging for today's audience, it can be done.

D

Deleted member 21244

Netflix was able to do a somewhat good job at adapting The Witcher with only a few minor issues but for some reason they just can't grasp on how to adapt another video game adaption properly? Resident Evil does not have as complex of a story as The Witcher and yet for some reason Netflix can adapt that but not Resident Evil?

All you need is to have it star some of the staple RE characters, perhaps Jill and Chris for season 1 and Claire and Leon for season 2 and simply do your own take on those events, nobody is saying adapt those events perfectly but at least use those events (Mansion incident and Racoon City outbreak) as the core basis for your new spin on expanding that story and making it more interesting and engaging for today's audience, it can be done.
The Witcher was adapted from the book not from the videogame that's why they were able to put on a good series

Resident evil on the other hand is adapted from the videogame and we know how hard is to adapt a videogame into reality especially resident evil

But I would have done a better job into adapting the series, they should have just stick whit the same plot of re 1 and use the more realistic aestetich capcom used for they're new game like re 7 re 2 and dmc 5

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
The Witcher was adapted from the book not from the videogame that's why they were able to put on a good series

Resident evil on the other hand is adapted from the videogame and we know how hard is to adapt a videogame into reality especially resident evil

But I would have done a better job into adapting the series, they should have just stick whit the same plot of re 1 and use the more realistic aestetich capcom used for they're new game like re 7 re 2 and dmc 5

… then have em' base the series on the S.D. Perry novels. At least those are more accurate to the games than any of the films and now, apparently, this Netflix series.

They deliberately feel the need to go against the events established in the games and go off on their own tangents for these live action movies/shows. It's a shame because it stops feeling like RE when they don't utilize the core characters and villainous companies like Umbrella. You can argue that they just want it to feel original for everyone watching, but then they might as well go and make a different zombie story based on these drastic differences. All they are doing is slapping a familiar title onto the series.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
It's honestly not that hard to adapt the games into a series. The games themselves may not be much to go on but there's tons of files and lore that can easily shape the foundation for a show. Between Wesker, Spencer, Umbrella, Chief Irons, the individual S.T.A.R.S. members, George and Lisa Trevor, and the Mansion Incident itself, there's so much to flesh out the events of the original game into a whole season of storytelling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

Actually umbrella and t virus are mentioned in the sinopsys, i guess they are the villain indeed @bSTAR_182
the story could be very similar to the original re game, since the sinopsys talk about event of 26 years ago, the show will be set 26 years after the sinopsys whit and epidemic accuring, this epidemic could actually be the raccon city incident, and we can still get our beloved character and story

@Turo602 Yeah its not that hard to adapt a game into a series, especially a series
I could image the re 1 series episode right now, first episode start whit showing us the life of jill and chris one day before the mansion incident, in this episode character and lore are introduced, the episode end whit Chris, jill and the other member talking to wesker who inform them that they lost contact whit bravo team... Second episode start whit the bravo team preparing for arriving at the mansion, they go on the elicopter, they arrive at bravo team chopper, they get to the mansion

Here the writer could have use the opportunity to tell re 1 real story, and that's how i would have tell it... Barry jill and wesker arrive at the main entrance of the mansion, while chris got separated and roam into the forest for a while when he finally find out a second entrance to the mansion... back to the other character, wesker order barry and jill to investigate the mansion under wesker order they find the first zombie and than go back to the hall to report to wesker but is nowhere to be found in the hall, Chris continue the search for the mansion and find the firts member of stars rebecca... The episode end here, and the other episode would have simply writed alone..

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom