• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident evil Netflix adaptation

• Thread starter Deleted member 21244
  • Start date

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
… then have em' base the series on the S.D. Perry novels. At least those are more accurate to the games than any of the films and now, apparently, this Netflix series.

They deliberately feel the need to go against the events established in the games and go off on their own tangents for these live action movies/shows. It's a shame because it stops feeling like RE when they don't utilize the core characters and villainous companies like Umbrella. You can argue that they just want it to feel original for everyone watching, but then they might as well go and make a different zombie story based on these drastic differences. All they are doing is slapping a familiar title onto the series.

Have you ever read Caliban Cove? We probably shouldn't quite use the S.D. Perry novels as a basis. I haven't read the canon stories, but Caliban Cove was wacky to say the least. I still liked it. But I do not think y'all would enjoy it. haha.

D

Deleted member 21244

Have you ever read Caliban Cove? We probably shouldn't quite use the S.D. Perry novels as a basis. I haven't read the canon stories, but Caliban Cove was wacky to say the least. I still liked it. But I do not think y'all would enjoy it. haha.
I personally didn't like the SD novel of re, it completely change the story and character personality

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Yeah - I mean, solving so many puzzles is probably more fun in video games than it is watching on the silver screen. Who knows though. Maybe it would be great watching Jill pick locks and Chris push statues around.

D

Deleted member 21244

Yeah - I mean, solving so many puzzles is probably more fun in video games than it is watching on the silver screen. Who knows though. Maybe it would be great watching Jill pick locks and Chris push statues around.
That's why most of the time games should remain games and movies should remain movies

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member

No I haven’t read that one. Really, I’ve only read the Code Veronica book and heard bits from the book based on the first game which all remained pretty faithful to the source material... I brought up the books because it was explained that The Witcher series is partially successful because it is also based on a book series. But, like others have clarified, that really does not matter because RE has enough backstory that they could adapt it well if they used common sense.

As far as puzzles go, they shouldn’t feature puzzles in a film or series adaptation because that is obviously something more for the gaming experience. Now, they could feature various traps in the mansion (i.e. Barry saving Jill from becoming a Jill Sandwich). Like @ToCool74 already mentioned, it does not have to play out exactly like the events in the game- in fact it shouldn’t because the events in the game are even a bit wonky and some should be replaced all together. But using the main plot of the game with the main characters is a must. How it unfolds can be rewritten in a more concise way that helps flow future film/series installments and making it all still feel fresh for new and old fans.

Last edited:

Turo602

The King of Kings
No I haven’t read that one. Really, I’ve only read the Code Veronica book and heard bits from the book based on the first game which all remained pretty faithful to the source material... I brought up the books because it was explained that The Witcher series is partially successful because it is also based on a book series. But, like others have clarified, that really does not matter because RE has enough backstory that they could adapt it well if they used common sense.

As far as puzzles go, they shouldn’t feature puzzles in a film or series adaptation because that is obviously something more for the gaming experience. Now, they could feature various traps in the mansion (i.e. Barry saving Jill from becoming a Jill Sandwich). Like @ToCool74 already mentioned, it does not have to play out exactly like the events in the game- in fact it shouldn’t because the events in the game are even a bit wonky and some should be replaced all together. But using the main plot of the game with the main characters is a must. How it unfolds can be rewritten in a more concise way that helps flow future film/series installments and making it all still feel fresh for new and old fans.

Exactly. The story is what's being adapted, not the gameplay, and there's definitely lots of room for improvement that would justify a TV show having a stab at retelling and fleshing out the Resident Evil story.

I've actually been thinking about ways the game could work as a series and the best I've come up with is having the season long arc be about the mansion incident itself, with each episode focusing on a different character with flashbacks of their backstory leading into the mansion incident.

For example, the Jill sandwich moment could be an entire episode focusing on Jill and her backstory and it could play out like those typical locked in a room episodes until Barry saves the day. Another episode could be all about Barry, with flashbacks showing you his life with his family and his relationship with the other S.T.A.R.S. members and then his blackmail which can then end on the cliff hanger ending of Barry betraying Jill after being shady and struggling to do so all episode.

Chris, Rebecca, and the Trevors also have great potential for character-centric episodes and that's not even factoring in the tense enemy encounters with the first zombie, the first cerberus, first hunter, and Lisa Trevor. Characters like Marvin and Chief Irons could be represented in flashbacks, with allusions to both Claire and Leon. There's also all the secret lab stuff and experiments that can be shown and fleshed out as well. I didn't even know this until recently, but apparently Crimson Heads were the prototype to the Lickers, and while the games don't really explain this clearly, these type of evolutions could be demonstrated so much better on screen.

Hel

Goddess of the Dead
Premium
I know I've said this before, but Netflix should definitely [changing to dramatic Barry voice] TAKE A LOOK AT THIS: State of Flux

Granted, it's first and foremost a ChrisXWesker fanfic, but also a very detailled depiction of Raccoon City's downfall. Beginning a few weeks before RE1, it tells the entire story from the first missing person cases up to and including the aftermath of the Mansion Incident, fleshes out several characters that get killed in the game (especially Forest, who is Chris's best friend here), and hints at Chief Irons's corruption and rapey tendencies, with Sherry and Claire appearing as recurring extras and some refreshing doses of humour to lighten up the overall grim mood of the story.

I originally started reading it because I was looking for some ChrisXWesker PWP, but ended up enjoying the "side story" leading up to the game's events a lot more, to the point that I think that alone could have made for an awesome fanfic. That's the kind of thing I was hoping for when a Netflix adaption of Resident Evil was announced, and I don't understand why they're not just giving it to us after almost 25 years. Do they think fans of the games would get bored because they already know what's most likely going to happen? I don't think so, to the contrary, I think most of us would be thrilled to see a faithful adaption of the stories and characters we all love, especially after that particularly nasty case of creative diarrhoea that was the Anderson film franchise. And to people who only know the films or are new to the franchise as a whole, it would be a completely original story anyway.

What we're getting instead sounds like just some more zombie action nonsense featuring an overpowered female protagonist, loosely based on the source material with a few game character cameos. And... Billie, really? Are her best friends called Mandy and Chantalle, and what's the name of the brothel they're working at? Jesus Roosevelt Christ! You'd think Wesker had better taste in names for his own daughters...

D

Deleted member 21244

I know I've said this before, but Netflix should definitely [changing to dramatic Barry voice] TAKE A LOOK AT THIS: State of Flux

Granted, it's first and foremost a ChrisXWesker fanfic, but also a very detailled depiction of Raccoon City's downfall. Beginning a few weeks before RE1, it tells the entire story from the first missing person cases up to and including the aftermath of the Mansion Incident, fleshes out several characters that get killed in the game (especially Forest, who is Chris's best friend here), and hints at Chief Irons's corruption and rapey tendencies, with Sherry and Claire appearing as recurring extras and some refreshing doses of humour to lighten up the overall grim mood of the story.

I originally started reading it because I was looking for some ChrisXWesker PWP, but ended up enjoying the "side story" leading up to the game's events a lot more, to the point that I think that alone could have made for an awesome fanfic. That's the kind of thing I was hoping for when a Netflix adaption of Resident Evil was announced, and I don't understand why they're not just giving it to us after almost 25 years. Do they think fans of the games would get bored because they already know what's most likely going to happen? I don't think so, to the contrary, I think most of us would be thrilled to see a faithful adaption of the stories and characters we all love, especially after that particularly nasty case of creative diarrhoea that was the Anderson film franchise. And to people who only know the films or are new to the franchise as a whole, it would be a completely original story anyway.

What we're getting instead sounds like just some more zombie action nonsense featuring an overpowered female protagonist, loosely based on the source material with a few game character cameos. And... Billie, really? Are her best friends called Mandy and Chantalle, and what's the name of the brothel they're working at? Jesus Roosevelt Christ! You'd think Wesker had better taste in names for his own daughters...
The plot about the wesker daughter was just a rumor, recently the sinopsys of the series as leaked from some netflix database and its more in line whit the re series
Here it is:
“The town of Clearfield, MD has long stood in the shadow of three seemingly unrelated behemoths – the Umbrella Corporation, the decommissioned Greenwood Asylum, and Washington, D.C. Today, twenty-six years after the discovery of the T-Virus, secrets held by the three will start to be revealed at the first signs of outbreak.”

There are some changes but the story background is similar to the games

Turo602

The King of Kings
The plot about the wesker daughter was just a rumor, recently the sinopsys of the series as leaked from some netflix database and its more in line whit the re series
Here it is:
“The town of Clearfield, MD has long stood in the shadow of three seemingly unrelated behemoths – the Umbrella Corporation, the decommissioned Greenwood Asylum, and Washington, D.C. Today, twenty-six years after the discovery of the T-Virus, secrets held by the three will start to be revealed at the first signs of outbreak.”

There are some changes but the story background is similar to the games

Wannabe Stranger Things then? Doesn't sound good either.

D

Deleted member 21244

Wannabe Stranger Things then? Doesn't sound good either.
I can't say until i see it, but it s definitely better than that Rumor

I don't see the stranger things connection, the sinopsys Is basically the resident evil background story only that instead of raccon city the name of the city is different and we have 2 other corporation alongside umbrella instead of only umbrella
Also the sinopsys talk about fact happened prior the tv series, we only know that this event lead to an outbreak, the protagonist could still be jill chris leon claire ecc... The sinopsys didn't say anything about protagonist, antagonist and story, it only give a vague background

So for me it's still early to give a good judge until we learn who are the character, what story will be told in the series, who are the antagonist ecc

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
I personally think they should just make a movie, better than Andersons that is. but even that I'm pessimistic about that, I don't think it would turn out well. It's hard to make Resident Evil game series into movie\tv show

I just prefer Resident Evil franchise in games rather than Movies\TV Shows, but who knows if the rumors turns out to be true and there is RE Netflix series, I just hope it's good, I hardly believe it'll be good, but we'll see.

The only decent Resident Evil movie to some extent is Resident Evil 1 (2002)

KManX89

Rocket Trash Panda
Man, I was so hyped for this, too bad COVID pushed everything back. :cry:

When it does eventually begin shooting, I'm sure it'll be worthwhile, but I doubt it'll be worth the extended wait. Mind you, I totally understand why it's not ATM, same with all other movies and shows currently in production, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

I think Resident Evil would make a much better TV series than movie with all its lore, but then again, you could pretty much say the same about any gaming property since game-based movies are never great.

Jen

Girly Gamer
Premium Elite
Premium
7G9WIPy.jpg

Well, looks like the rumours were somewhat true... Not sold on that synopsis and have little to no interest at all if I'm honest. I'll maybe watch an episode when it's out and see if it can change my mind, but my initial opinion isn't great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21244

7G9WIPy.jpg

Well, looks like the rumours were somewhat true... Not sold on that synopsis and have little to no interest at all if I'm honest.
Not that interested
The story is also set in two different time, one where the wesker sister jade and billie just arrived in New raccon city, the other is set 10 years later where the wesker sister are facing an apocaliptic world

I don't know what this have to do whit resident evil, maybe it will turn out good but it's definitely not re

Edit: some source say wesker brother other wesker sister

Last edited by a moderator:

Wasker1995

Since this Netflix means there will be a lot of SJW thrash on the show! Chris will be black, Leon will be gay, Claire will be a radical feminist, Jill will be fat, and Ada will be a transgender!

DanielWesker

I have a horrible sinking feeling that this is set in the same universe as the sh**ty movies.

We want a proper horror story, a bit like 'The haunting of Hill house", set in the mansion. You already have the story written. Give the fans what they want and adapt that!

Top Bottom