• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil Confessions

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium
... I have a confession to make. I have never beaten the REmake with Chris. I have started his game multiple times, but I find him to be so boring and bland compared to Jill, that I never finish it. I'm currently doing another playthrougu as Jill, which will be my countless time having finished her story... And I think I'm finally going to stick it out and play through as Chris. But while I was sitting here thinking about how I've never beaten it as Chris, it got me thinking, what are some confessions you guys have about the Resident Evil franchise? Stuff that you wouldn't admit to any other fan for fear of sounding like you don't care about the franchise?

D

Deleted member 21244

I actually never finished the two outbreak games, i arrived at the last level of the firs outbreak game but i never beat it, because i find the game boring and badly done

I tryed to replay the game from the start recently but it was so boring i just finish the first two level and didn't continue it, i don't know how people liked the outbreak game, they have literally no story, you are throw into scenario and you have to complete them before the infection kill you, boring as hell, the ia is also ****, maybe it was better played online

Rain611

You can't kill me.
I really don't like any of the main Resident Evil characters except for Wesker. I don't know why. I find them all to be cookie cutter hero types with no qualities unique enough to hold my interest. At least Wesker was a bad@ss with cool powers and, at least for a while, was that one guy that you could count on never dying and being that ever present backbone of personified villainy.

All the others though, I mean.... Hey, I'm the hero, I need to take down Umbrella!!11!!1 Like ok, I get it. But what else do you have to offer?

Probably the closest I come to liking main character wise was Claire, because of her portrayal in Code Veronica X. I still find it hard to consider her as memorable as a lot of the side characters though. I don't know what it is with Resident Evil one off characters but if they would've used those same formula with the main characters I'd be singing a totally different tune if I'm being honest.

I would also note that I like HUNK but, in spite of his appearances, I don't really consider him a main character either.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking!
I also never finished the Outbreak games, played them plenty back when they released, but never fully finished them as I was just a kid at the time and I didn't find them as fun.
I don't even feel motivated to complete them now as an adult, mostly because I don't wanna bother digging out the PS2.

Also I think Nemesis sounds cool in Umbrella Chronicles.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
Until the yesterday I had never beat Nemesis on hard. I also avoid him as much as is humanly possible when I play.

Him VS Me dealing with tank controls isn't a good idea. I mean I like the tank control games, don't get me wrong but with how fast he is and the fact that you can only pass him on his left side without him grabbing you is just something I feel like I would need easier to handle controls for. I mean I see people doing no damage runs and fighting him at every turn and that's great and all but I'm just not there with the tank.

Also: I never picked up the dodging method in that game. I really appreciate what developers were doing when they added that bit into the game but I find actually executing a successful dodge to be completely random. (Maybe it's different on PC without a controller?)

I resent Resident Evil 2. I love the game, it's probably my most played thru Resident Evil game and the Remake definitely got me back into it but I DO still resent the game. People walk around acting like it's the strongest of the series and it was amazing and all this and completely skim over RE1, RE3 and CV and that doesn't sit well with me.

They were ALL great! Is RE1 (original) really old now? Yes. Was RE3 kinda short in comparison to the others? Yes. Was Code Veronica 'hard' and did it feature a lot of backtracking? Yes. But they were all great and I don't see any reason that one should be hyped up so much higher than the others.

Oh and I hate Leon! *Oh wait. That wasn't really a confession. You all knew that already. My bad.*

D

Deleted member 21244

I personally didn't like the dodging mechanic in re 3 nemesis neither, totally random, they should have put a proper button for the dodge like in revelations 2

Also i was replaying re 3 recently and i realized is the weakest of the original game, at least for me, but it's still a great game, great atmosphere and music
Another think i don't like about re 3 is that there are only two bosses, nemesis and grave digger, and the grave digger was really bad, the first encounter lasted just 30 seconds, you only have to move the ladder, the last fight was a real boring pain in the ass... I hope they fix this in the remake

I don't like sheva and helena by the way

boycalledmullins

I like the series' progression from survival horror to a more action style. It's just made sense to me that by their third or fourth time encountering Umbrella's monsters, Jill and Chris etc. would be far more prepared and efficient at taking them out.

That being said, RE: 7 and the remakes are amazing returns to real horror - and by introducing new characters in 7 it makes sense cannonically too.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
New confession: After replaying RE3 multiple times over the past few days to reacquaint myself with the story before the Remake comes out, I just realized that this game has what appears to be adaptive difficulty.

I've noticed that, depending on how well/bad you're doing, items may be moved earlier in the game, further in the game or not show up at all. I found a lot less gunpowder in the normal areas, sometimes finding no gunpowder at all between two different areas, if I had a lot of ammo stored up. Also the shotgun shells in the police station and some of the save rooms may or may not be there depending on how well you're progressing. Same with healing items.

D

Deleted member 21244

New confession: After replaying RE3 multiple times over the past few days to reacquaint myself with the story before the Remake comes out, I just realized that this game has what appears to be adaptive difficulty.

I've noticed that, depending on how well/bad you're doing, items may be moved earlier in the game, further in the game or not show up at all. I found a lot less gunpowder in the normal areas, sometimes finding no gunpowder at all between two different areas, if I had a lot of ammo stored up. Also the shotgun shells in the police station and some of the save rooms may or may not be there depending on how well you're progressing. Same with healing items.
I remember that re 3 had different item location on each playtrought because the developer wanted to render each playtrought differently

KennedyKiller

Super Saiyan Member
Premium

I remember noticing something similar a few months ago. I went into the gas station and there was a BUNCH of gunpowder. Which was appreciated because I was running short. I died a while later, and had to redo it. The Gunpowder had been replaced with first aid sprays, which REALLY p*ssed me off because I needed the ammo far more lol.

Springhosen

Kahnum of Outworld
@KennedyKiller Right! The same thing happened to me and herbs. My first playthrough I was failing pretty badly, first time trying to beat the game on hard, and there were herbs a plenty. Second playthrough I'm doing MUCH better having gotten readjusted to the controls from the first playthrough but I'm trying to stock up on herbs just in case I need them. Nowhere to be found! Not even later on in the game where the randomized item placement would have them if they weren't in the first location!

@Albertwesker959 I definitely get the different item placement and, when I played the game on easy I thought it was random. After my experiences the past few days, not so much. (Especially considering the instance above, and others, when the items wouldn't even show up in the other area they were supposed to if they weren't in the first area.)

I honestly feel like this was an early attempt at adaptive difficulty and it just wasn't called that at the time. It would make sense too considering the other new mechanics they tried to implement with this game - ie; dodging, quick turns and mixing gunpowder. It's part of the reason I get so angry when people down on this game and call it the weakest or the worst of the originals just because it was shorter.

The story wasn't intricate, it was extremely simple; doesn't mean it was bad. And if you look at the gameplay you can see why. This game was really trying to change how we played Resident Evil and I just wish that more of those elements had been carried over. Dodging wasn't implemented again until 6 and there was so much potential to be found in mixing your own ammo. You could literally play the game any way you wanted because you were in control of what ammo you had.

Mr.R

Hmm...well, first confession is...I really like the action oriented turn the series took for a while. I love RE4, I kinda like 5 and I love RE6. I also think the "over the shoulder" camera is ideal to the series, and perfect for action and very fit for horror. The bulk of the confession is: I think going "action" was the right move for the series and while I welcome the horror we have again, I would be totally okay for another action oriented RE (as long as it's well done.)

Second confession, I replay Resident Evil regularly, since they're all short games and I normally pop one or two RE's in between finishing big games (like Days Gone, for example), and this time it was RE2. Because of the RE2R, it's been a while since I replayed the original and...I found a bit boring this time. It's not that is bad but...Re2 has no challenge, at all. It's a cakewalk. I know I've been playing the old RE's for a while, but I replayed RE3 this year and it felt just amazing as ever, but every time I play RE2 these days, this always stuck into my head. The game is stupidly easy. Maybe it's a sign of the years, or my growing excitment for the RE3R, but it was the first time I really thought about RE2 being boring (normally this moniker goes for CV for me). It's a confession, I guess.

Final confession (for now, I guess. I might remember something later). ORC is bad. It is. Badly designed, badly conceived, but it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me. Sometimes I really have fun with the game. I still find stupid that a human needs three headshots to die and a hunter needs two full sized assault rifle clips to go down, and that your teammates are stupid as rocks, but when things click, I really have fun with the game. I like their rendition of Raccoon City, with its many shops and large streets. It feels very beliveable. Also, the Spec Ops mission are better than the main USS game for me.

Turo602

The King of Kings
@KennedyKiller Right! The same thing happened to me and herbs. My first playthrough I was failing pretty badly, first time trying to beat the game on hard, and there were herbs a plenty. Second playthrough I'm doing MUCH better having gotten readjusted to the controls from the first playthrough but I'm trying to stock up on herbs just in case I need them. Nowhere to be found! Not even later on in the game where the randomized item placement would have them if they weren't in the first location!

@Albertwesker959 I definitely get the different item placement and, when I played the game on easy I thought it was random. After my experiences the past few days, not so much. (Especially considering the instance above, and others, when the items wouldn't even show up in the other area they were supposed to if they weren't in the first area.)

I honestly feel like this was an early attempt at adaptive difficulty and it just wasn't called that at the time. It would make sense too considering the other new mechanics they tried to implement with this game - ie; dodging, quick turns and mixing gunpowder. It's part of the reason I get so angry when people down on this game and call it the weakest or the worst of the originals just because it was shorter.

The story wasn't intricate, it was extremely simple; doesn't mean it was bad. And if you look at the gameplay you can see why. This game was really trying to change how we played Resident Evil and I just wish that more of those elements had been carried over. Dodging wasn't implemented again until 6 and there was so much potential to be found in mixing your own ammo. You could literally play the game any way you wanted because you were in control of what ammo you had.

I can't speak to whether items are tied to some sort of adaptive difficulty, but there was one thing that has stuck with me in Resident Evil 3 that made me think the game was just randomized to keep each playthrough fresh and scary, and that was when I went up the elevator in the hospital.

My brother and I were playing through the series side by side and I remember when he went up the elevator, there was nothing there, but when I did, there were tons of zombies instantly swarming me and I was so p*ssed because he didn't have to deal with them.

I honestly couldn't say that I was doing better than him for the game to spike up the difficulty because it was my first time playing and he had gone through the game multiple times already. I just always assumed the game had some sort of randomization. Really do want to play the game again before the remake though.

I guess my first confession is that I only ever played the game once. I never disliked it and I was very fond of all the new elements they did include that kept the series fresh, but it was never a standout for me. A lot of the other titles have some kind of achievement associated with them, like Resident Evil ushering in the era of survival horror, Resident Evil 2 completely blowing the first one out of the water in size and scope, REmake being the definition of how to remake a video game, and Resident Evil 4 was just absolutely revolutionary. The rest are just kind of there, playing around with the formula.

And ackchually, Revelations brought back the dodge before RE6, which I've always wondered was done as an homage to RE3, another "spin-off" starring Jill Valentine.

Anyway, confession number 2, I only beat Resident Evil 0 once as well. Again, not because I didn't like it, but like Resident Evil 3, it just kind of worked out that way since they both don't really require more than 1 playthrough to get the whole story. I actually really liked 0 as well, like RE3, I thought it did some cool things to change up the formula in some interesting ways, even if a lot of people did find it controversial. Personally, I think they should have really just re-released the game with item boxes patched in, with an option or difficulty setting simply removing them.

My final confession is the one I have the most shame for, and it's the fact that I still haven't ever played Code Veronica, despite owning it on multiple platforms. I just never got to it and the reason my brother and I didn't get to it 10 years ago when we played through the series together was because he just wasn't looking forward to the tedium of the game again after he already beat it.

A part of me is still slightly intimidated to start it simply because of the way he described it, and it's not just him either, I've heard similar takes on the game all over the internet despite its rather positive following, even often being called the best one in the series. I don't really know which side I'll end up leaning towards, but it's certainly not something I'm eager to jump into after such conflicting and drastic opinions. But I've been slowly coming around to the idea of starting it after my latest playthroughs of REmake last year.

D

Deleted member 21244

I can't speak to whether items are tied to some sort of adaptive difficulty, but there was one thing that has stuck with me in Resident Evil 3 that made me think the game was just randomized to keep each playthrough fresh and scary, and that was when I went up the elevator in the hospital.

My brother and I were playing through the series side by side and I remember when he went up the elevator, there was nothing there, but when I did, there were tons of zombies instantly swarming me and I was so p*ssed because he didn't have to deal with them.

I honestly couldn't say that I was doing better than him for the game to spike up the difficulty because it was my first time playing and he had gone through the game multiple times already. I just always assumed the game had some sort of randomization. Really do want to play the game again before the remake though.

I guess my first confession is that I only ever played the game once. I never disliked it and I was very fond of all the new elements they did include that kept the series fresh, but it was never a standout for me. A lot of the other titles have some kind of achievement associated with them, like Resident Evil ushering in the era of survival horror, Resident Evil 2 completely blowing the first one out of the water in size and scope, REmake being the definition of how to remake a video game, and Resident Evil 4 was just absolutely revolutionary. The rest are just kind of there, playing around with the formula.

And ackchually, Revelations brought back the dodge before RE6, which I've always wondered was done as an homage to RE3, another "spin-off" starring Jill Valentine.

Anyway, confession number 2, I only beat Resident Evil 0 once as well. Again, not because I didn't like it, but like Resident Evil 3, it just kind of worked out that way since they both don't really require more than 1 playthrough to get the whole story. I actually really liked 0 as well, like RE3, I thought it did some cool things to change up the formula in some interesting ways, even if a lot of people did find it controversial. Personally, I think they should have really just re-released the game with item boxes patched in, with an option or difficulty setting simply removing them.

My final confession is the one I have the most shame for, and it's the fact that I still haven't ever played Code Veronica, despite owning it on multiple platforms. I just never got to it and the reason my brother and I didn't get to it 10 years ago when we played through the series together was because he just wasn't looking forward to the tedium of the game again after he already beat it.

A part of me is still slightly intimidated to start it simply because of the way he described it, and it's not just him either, I've heard similar takes on the game all over the internet despite its rather positive following, even often being called the best one in the series. I don't really know which side I'll end up leaning towards, but it's certainly not something I'm eager to jump into after such conflicting and drastic opinions. But I've been slowly coming around to the idea of starting it after my latest playthroughs of REmake last year.
Yeah i remember reading somewhere that every playtrought have different item location because the developer were a bit worried about the game length and so they wanted to make every playtrought fresh, because if you now how to deal whit every enemy and where every item was you would have ended the game in a very short time

You should simply start code veronica and see it for yourself, if you like the ps1 re game you will end up loving it

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain611

You can't kill me.

That's interesting, I generally end up more intrigued by games that have such drastic opinions surrounding them. It makes me want to see what all the fuss is about. :biggrin:

That being said, I love CVX. I think it had one of the best stories, some of the most memorable villains and certainly the best soundtrack. I can admit that it hasn't particularly aged well, which is why I hope it gets the remake treatment after R3make.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
Metal Detectors. Yuck.

My biggest confession I suppose, is that I never finished the original RE1. I started with the original RE2 and then rented RE1 (Director's Cut) from Blockbuster. I played it for about an hour and found the graphics and controls to be too difficult to deal with. I also rented Bloody Roar 2 (I think), so I played that instead.

I have also not seen a lot of the movies. I am not against seeing them, but I have better things to do with my time.

UniqTeas

G Virus Experiment
I have seen the first four movies. And one of the CG movies.

The only movie worth anything was the original. But it was still not great. Way too much action focus, which is funny considering how much the rest of the movies rely on deep, heavy action.

But Michelle Rodriguez is great in that film. Although, she does play a Michelle Rodriguez type character, so that makes sense. haha

Top Bottom