• Welcome to the Resident Evil Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Resident Evil series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RESIDENT EVIL 8 !

bSTAR_182

Sexually Active Member
Well old characters could and should take the lead again... it would be cheap of Capcom to simply make the heroes, from the last 20 years, small blimps in the background, especially when there is still so much story left for the iconic characters.

I don't mind them adding new characters into the mix (as I'm hoping to even see more of Jake at some point) but, again, don't just cut the old characters out in an attempt at revamping the series.
I have yet to beat RE7 but kind of know how it ends.
Do you really think that it ends well for Ethan? Frankly I'm not so sure how much we will see of him again- sure he was entertaining and likeable in the game but he is probably screwed by Umbrella. Perhaps he'll come back as a monster or something.

Last edited:

TJay

Premium
i totally get that, i was more referring to people wanting and saying that old characters should take the lead again :)
i'm all for cameo's and links, but the past is the past for me.

Not to be provocative, but that would be fine, if the past WAS the past. As Spikey pointed out, too many loose ends have been left untied in a story that has spanned almost 21 years. If RE7 had been a "hard reboot" with no links and cameos then I could understand the calls (generally speaking) for fans to move on from wanting focus on the long-term cast. But as that was not the case, I actually think it's a crying shame that RE7 is a main sequel, when it adds virtually nothing to the main story. It distracts from it and adds to the long list of unanswered RE questions and seemingly the main talking points amongst fans seems to be about how it fits in with the overall story (in part because of the ending).

RE7 isn't a bad game, it's not even a bad RE, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But it very much gave me a "Resident Evil: Survivor" feeling. Not just because of the first person view but because it's rather detached while still being in the RE universe.

I can only speak for myself, though I know many others who share my feeling, I play and enjoy Resident Evil for and because of the long standing story and cast. I've been enthralled by it since I was about 12 or so. To call something a sequel, when it's clearly not at this stage is a bit insulting in my opinion (unless of course it was a full on reboot, which it isn't).

Also, generally speaking, I wish people would let go of this idea that the long-term cast can't be the main focus because of their age. People's lives and careers don't end because they turn 40 or even 60 (in most cases). Not to mention these are highly trained, highly skilled people. Oh and it's fiction. Loads of room for leeway in fiction.

Well old characters could and should take the lead again... it would be cheap of Capcom to simply make the heroes, from the last 20 years, small blimps in the background, especially when there is still so much story left for the iconic characters.

I don't mind them adding new characters into the mix (as I'm hoping to even see more of Jake at some point) but, again, don't just cut the old characters out in an attempt at revamping the series.
I have yet to beat RE7 but kind of know how it ends.
Do you really think that it ends well for Ethan? Frankly I'm not so sure how much we will see of him again- sure he was entertaining and likeable in the game but he is probably screwed by Umbrella. Perhaps he'll come back as a monster or something.

Me too... *swoon*.

Reactions: Jen

Kayowakimono

霧敷砂子
If there will be another RE title, I hope it's not like Resident Evil 7, I did like the story in 7 somewhat, but not the gameplay I'm not a fan of first-person shooter games, I'd rather have next installment that is 8 to be like Revelations 2, enough for me...I truly hope the next installment won't be like Re7 gameplay-wise, I don't know about the rest but 7 didn't feel much like re to me

Decimus

7 is a masterpiece. I'd be shocked if Capcom isn't scrambling to get 8 out and also intensely figuring out a way to replicate or carry safely seven's success organically.

RE8 must be a successor to 7 in a large technical way, at the very least...

:cool:

ResidentDevil

RE Mania
7 is a masterpiece. I'd be shocked if Capcom isn't scrambling to get 8 out and also intensely figuring out a way to replicate or carry safely seven's success organically.

RE8 must be a successor to 7 in a large technical way, at the very least...

:cool:
giphy.gif

Kurisu

I would like to think on RE8 but Capcom is still releasing RE7 DLC's and improving the story so I think the only RE game we'll see until a time is RE2 remastered. There's also a rumor about RE:CV remaster but since we don't know anything yet I won't mention it. If Capcom works on RE8 I would like to see Jill again, but I would like to know what happened to Ethan and Mia too. Hmm...

Decimus

I would like to think on RE8 but Capcom is still releasing RE7 DLC's and improving the story so I think the only RE game we'll see until a time is RE2 remastered. There's also a rumor about RE:CV remaster but since we don't know anything yet I won't mention it. If Capcom works on RE8 I would like to see Jill again, but I would like to know what happened to Ethan and Mia too. Hmm...

RE8. Ethan, Mia and Chris... you can choose from the start who you want to play.. and they're in a facility similar to the one in the book Resident Evil Underworld. That would be so ****in cool.

black 93

Considering RE7 was a complete revamp, i can't see RE8 taking as long. RE7 got a generally good reception so Capcom probably won't have to go back to the drawing board like they did after 6's reception. Personally in RE8 i want three things. For the story to feel like it's more connected to the lore, and some older characters and more variety to the enemies. I agree with those who think RE7's ending was weak as hell, the game didn't feel like it should have ended when it did. Everything from the ship to the ending felt like Capcom were running out of time and had to wrap it up quickly. Gotta be honest though, the budget spin off Revelations 2 had a better story that gave closure, connected 5 to 6 and brought back long absent characters in a meaningful way. It also had more imaginiative enemies. In many ways, Revelations 2 deserved to be RE7. Id be perfectly fine with RE8 being like Revelations 2.

Top Bottom